Tuca and Bertie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VG_Addict

A new Netflix cartoon premiered today. It's from a lady who worked on Bojack.

Have you watched it? What did you think?

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I haven't watched it yet. Look out for one of the men. One of them is probably based on Adam Conover, Lisa Hanawalt's boyfriend.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
It's been a week and no one has said anything about this show? Damn. Anyway, I've seen the first 7 episodes. While the humor can get too weird and outlandish even for me, I can appreciate its cartoony feel and attention to detail. The characters are fun, too. Bertie is my favorite mainly because of Ali Wong's adorable voice acting. Story-wise, it does look like they're setting up something big, so I can't wait till I can watch the rest of the show over the weekend.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I need to watch more than the first 2 episodes, but it is actually good at being more than just another animated sitcom, so there's that.

Also, the comparisons to Bojack Horseman are just dumb and need to go away, already (it's like comparing MLP:FIM and LPS (2012) for me and calling one a ripoff of another... STUPID BEYOND BELIEF.)!

Last edited:

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
It's been a week and no one has said anything about this show? Damn. Anyway, I've seen the first 7 episodes. While the humor can get too weird and outlandish even for me, I can appreciate its cartoony feel and attention to detail. The characters are fun, too. Bertie is my favorite mainly because of Ali Wong's adorable voice acting. Story-wise, it does look like they're setting up something big, so I can't wait till I can watch the rest of the show over the weekend.
Just finished it yesterday, and I really liked it. They fleshed out the two main characters pretty well as the show went along. Here, we see that Tuca has attachment issues due to her mother's untimely death and lack of a parental figure to replace her, whereas Bertie has to cope with the psychological effects of the sexual harassment she experienced as a kid, and the show is not afraid to show just how bad these factors affected them, especially Bertie. I expect the show to delve deeper into Tuca's problems if there is a season two, which I hope there is, because I really enjoyed the characters and the crazy, random world they live in.
Also, the comparisons to Bojack Horseman are just dumb and need to go away
They are and they should. Sure, the two shows share some similiarities, but this show does try to be its own thing and succeeds in some ways.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
Disappointed, but not surprised. There just wasn't enough buzz surrounding the show. Perhaps people thought that the show was just a Bojack knockoff based on the trailer? It's not fair but even I thought that trailer was a bad first impression. Such a shame that not a lot of people gave it a chance after the fact. Hell, no one even talks about it on this forum.

Dudley

Staff member
This is quite a shock, especially for Netflix. I figured it would at least get a second season.
The show itself was interesting, but for me it just wasn’t captivating enough to watch past the third episode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freddy

I admit that I almost didn't watch beoynd the first episode, since it was just fast-paced "randomness for the sake of randomness", which fell really flat for me. For the show's credit, it calms down considerably from the second episode forward and while the humor still comes from random wackiness, it's more grounded to the characters and issues they go through. I'm glad that I gave the show a second chance, but first impressions are everything, and I can't blame anyone who called it quits after the first episode.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
...And to think I actually liked this show, unlike Bojack Horseman, which didn't do much for me, honestly.

The good ones always gotta die young... UGH. GODSPEED, you crazy birds!

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
So what exactly is the situation with this show? It got cancelled after 2 months and like Wander there was a huge movement to save the show.

I only saw one episode and I’m not sure if I like it though I’m not into Bojack either.

DeanBurrito25

That's incredible! Once again Adult Swim comes in clutch for unappreciated cult cartoons.
I hope the content won't have to be toned down too much due to the transition from streaming to cable.

Orange Mo

orangemo
That's incredible! Once again Adult Swim comes in clutch for unappreciated cult cartoons.
I hope the content won't have to be toned down too much due to the transition from streaming to cable.

The only change would likely be the f-word would be censored. Also, in cable you can technically say anything you want. The companies just choose not to.

Also I haven't seen this show yet at all so I'll likely have to check it out now that it has been saved.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Really glad that Adult Swim has given the show a new lease of life, I think Netflix missed an opportunity and the fact that its recommendation algorithm didn't work, which is the alleged reason why the show flopped. This is probably one the first decisions made under Ouweleen.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
There's now a thread for this on the Adult Swim board, so let's move discussion of this to there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts