Toonami: 20th Anniversary - Discussion

SuperFan2024

Shoo fly.
I know we're a week late, but the anniversary ain't over yet! Lets discuss!:

For reference, here's a Toonami 20th anniversary video made by the Toonami team!:

And, here's a special goodie from the original Toonami co-creator, Sean Akins!:

Last edited:

SuperFan2024

Shoo fly.
Here's all what we have so far!:

Toonami bumpers now with classic branding:

A classic Metal Gear Solid review from 1999, in it's original masters, and not ripped from a tape or a video online:

A classic Clyde bumper from 1997, also in it's original masters. I'm glad Toonami aired this, because it was nowhere online:

And a recent Toonami Pre-flight episode (which has the runners of Toonami in case some of ya never knew) which took place last week during Toonami's birthday. You all should watch this quick, because the link expires soon:

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/streams/toonami-pre-flight/friday-march-17th-2017

mqg96

2003 Toonami and SVES

action shows on the weekdays and Saturday nights

honestly I think this was the peak of action shows & anime airing on CN all at once in its entire history

enough can't be said how much I enjoyed that combination throughout the year.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
2003 Toonami and SVES

honestly I think this was the peak of action shows & anime airing on CN all at once in its entire history

Was that the peak, for "anime on TV"? Probably was, in retrospect. You had anime on Toonami. You had anime on Adult Swim. You had anime on SVES. Plus, you had anime on the G4 channel (the "Anime Unleashed" block). Oh, and Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh were still big money makers for Kids WB, at that point.

mqg96

Was that the peak, for "anime on TV"? Probably was, in retrospect. You had anime on Toonami. You had anime on Adult Swim. You had anime on SVES. Plus, you had anime on the G4 channel (the "Anime Unleashed" block). Oh, and Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh were still big money makers for Kids WB, at that point.

Interesting. I did mean Cartoon Network since that was the only place I knew that had anime then. (I was a little elementary schooler in 2003 so I had never heard of G4 then)

That Toonami and SVES combination was something special I'll never forget. Teen Titans also premiered that year too on the SVES block. There were kiddy anime like Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh, serious anime like Dragon Ball Z or Yu Yu Hakusho, DC/Marvel comic book shows like Justice League, Superman: TAS, or X-Men: Evolution, and American action shows like He-Man (2002), Samurai Jack or Jackie Chan Adventures. I enjoyed all those equally. 2003 CN aired all of those at once whether it was on Toonami or SVES, which is why I thought that year was the peak.

mqg96

Honestly, I have more memories of Saturday Video Entertainment System than I do of daytime Toonami. Cartoon Network should bring back SVES.

Same here, it was hard for me to watch Toonami on weekdays unless it was the summer because I had a lot going on after school whether it was extracurricular activities or homework. My parents were very strict about getting my work done during the weekdays. I could only watch TV on Fridays, Saturdays, and some Sundays unless there was a school break. SVES and Toonami on Saturday nights actually favored me, but I miss Summer 2003 tho.

SuperFan2024

Shoo fly.
Some things that have aired last night based on the anniversary:

A second version of that rare Clyde bumper from 1997 I believe:

And another classic review from Moltar, this time it's Hot Shots Golf:

SuperFan2024

Shoo fly.
I know i'm a week late, but here are the classic promos that aired last week:

A very rare Robotech promo from the Moltar era. I'm assuming it's the first promo for the show airing on the block. Here it is:

A rare Coolboarders 2 game review from the Moltar era:

And an old Toonami re-runs promo from the Moltar era. It isn't as rare though online, but at least it's in its original masters and in HD:

Last edited:

SuperFan2024

Shoo fly.
A little late once again, but here were our recent classic promos:

-

Differently, we have some good news and bad news:

The bad news is that unfortunately this was probably Toonami's last week of it's 20th birthday. That means that the classic bumpers and promos are probably going to be gone from the air starting this Saturday.

But the good news is that a YouTube user named CabooseJr (a YouTuber that posts the latest Toonami promos right after they air and some classic Toonami promos), has recently been uploading a ton of classic Toonami promos (mainly from the Moltar era) which are in their original crystal format! He told me that William Street was able to give those promos for him to post them on his channel and to upload them to the Toonami Digital Arsenal for archive purposes. You should really check out those promos! Here's a promo for a rare promo that William Street gave him to upload!:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How do I post comments on profile posts without that stupid ad on the bottom blocking me?
Al Jean hoping The Simpsons makes it to 1000 episodes sounds more like a threat than a promise, especially with how Julie Kavner's voice has been sounding.
Veronica Taylor posted on Twitter that Rachael Lillis has been ill for a few months, and posted the link to a GoFundMe set up by Rachael's sister Laurie. I will post it here:

Here's an Intel Pentium MMX commercial featuring the voice of Casey Kasem, along with a certain disco hit song:

Featured Posts