The Barbarian and the Troll news discussion thread

kanc

Since nobody made a thread, thought I'd make a thread for it.

The Barbarian and the Troll is an ok show for me in my opinion. First time for puppets show since Mr. Meaty or Cousin Skeeter.

Currently airs new episodes every Fridays on Nick at 7:30PM EST.

Also youtube nickelodeon is streaming it as of today:

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Saw the 2nd episode and it's just as witty as the first one. The writing is without a doubt as clever as The Muppets with that same sense of adventurous atmosphere you'd get from those decades old movies - haven't seen enough of the 21st century flicks.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The Barbarian And The Troll "Brendar The Barbarian"

All in. I needed a legit Puppet show, and Henson isn't providing, and this is exactly how awesome the medium can be. Brian Henson needs to get his act together. There is a midway point between preschool shows and The Happytime Murders. This show gets that. Henson doesn't make shows like this anymore and that's why it's lost its way.

I love that the gore of the dragon is substituted with confetti and pool toys. Really, that is very much like using ribbons for blood in Sweeney Todd, and probably also gets the Nickelodeon censors off their backs.

Evan the Troll LITERALLY burning his bridge was a genius allegory. It doesn't get more explicit than that.

I loved the Owl, and Brendar asking her to clarify if she was asking her a question or making owl noises. I also love Brendar asking her if the Skeletons were on the dental plan she offered, and when the Owl affirms that they were, she says, "Hard pass." This show is already funny.

This show is fun and bonkers, and like the best puppet shows, it looks like nothing else on television. If Henson isn't gonna give us stuff like this anymore, I'm glad Nickelodeon is filling in until it does. *****.

The Barbarian And The Troll "Off To See The Wizard"

Normally an eccentric show with a strong Pilot always falls a bit short in the second episode but I still found that enchanting. The gnomes were super cute for one thing, and I liked Stacy the Owl's backstory. I laughed when she warned that since the Garlic Mash was served by Skeletons, there might be bones in it.

There will be critics who (correctly) point out that the puppetry on this show is not as good as the Henson Company's stuff. That may be so. But the Henson Company is barely currently using puppets in any real narrative projects so I'll freaking live with it. It's better than nothing, which is what Henson has given me since Farscape ended. (Okay, I miss Dark Crystal: Age Of Resistance too, but that was a one season and done show. I still don't see Henson using the medium properly besides it.)

This show is SO much fun. It could easily wind up one of my favorite shows on television. Little early to declare that quite yet, but I do love what I've seen so far. ****1/2.

The Barbarian And The Troll "Blood, Sweat, & Fears"

That was so cute. I love that of all the group, Evan's fears were the most manageable because he spends his entire life in a state of constant disappointment. It also tells me he is perhaps not useless to take on the quest after all. He's the only one the swamp didn't get to after all.

The Skeletons chuckling as they were trying to put on Skelly's bib to eat ribs was amusing. Part of me thinks they kept putting it on wrong on purpose. But judging by their inability to create new skeletons, they may simply be incompetent.

Good stuff. Again. *****.

The Barbarian And The Troll "Season Of The Witch"

I love that when Gnarlia sees Stacy she automatically calls her sweetheart. And that's the answer. Stacy WANTED to be a owl and her Mom is actually awesome.

I love Horace's outrage that she was dating Steve the Knight. Steve is super funny and acts more like a bouncer than anything.

The gnomes are dead on the inside. For some reason I don't buy those specific characters using that specific downer line.

I love the family hug. Aww!

Man, this show is great. *****.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The Barbarian And The Troll "My Sharon-Ah"

I like that the episode ends with Skelly being mad because one of his guards leaves a tip at the bar, despite not having ordered anything. Skelly is Mr. Pink. Funny.

Stacy is always glad to have these meaningful conversations with Axe.

Sharon's got some mad thumbs.

It was not a great episode, but it was definitely a good one. ****.

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
Can we agree that Sha-ron is a jerk though?

Funny thing, when I first saw a clip in the opening(before I knew what My Sharon-Ah was about), I recognized her from the pilot and thought that she was actually going to leave the Royal Order and join forces with Brendar

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The Barbarian And The Troll "Parent Just Don't Understand"

I love that Evan's mom keeps trying to eat him.

I also love "Troll before tolls".

Biff is NOT gonna work. Ya think?

Evan's dad eats his lute like Cookie Monster.

To be blunt, this was a weak week. But it was still cute. ***1/2.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The Barbarian And The Troll "When Dragons Cry"

I liked it. The show is solid, and funny, and sweet, and best of all, it looks like nothing else on television. I can't give it a higher recommendation than that. ****1/2.

kanc

According to nickplay, there will be Barbarian and the Troll collectors quest, May 24-May 27 at 7pm hour

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The Barbarian And The Troll "Mapmaker, Mapmaker, Make Me A Map"

That was great.

I like the puppet designs of Kristoff and the pudding monster. Kristoff reminds me of Sam the Eagle.

I laughed at Stacy's "That is one deceased squid."

I also loved it when Horace said the most important of job of all is motherhood. That's SO great, especially for a kids show.

Wonderful episode. *****.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The Barbarian And The Troll "Ice Ice Baby"

I like that when Evan says "Hi!", the court of the Florgs say "Hi Evan!" back. SO cute.

Speaking of which, I love the Snowgre.

The Queen, who we've just met, strikes me as a real turd. I see why Brendar jetted. That thing with the half-haircut was a punk move.

I love that one of the skeletons is named Linda.

I also love that Brendar claims not to remember Skelly. She's David Spade. "And you are?"

Funny stuff. ****.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I want to thank both Silverstar and Goldstar for their awesome posts and great presence in this forum. Love ya!
Hey, internet: You all owe Natasha Klein (creator of Primos) an apology. It doesn't matter if you want to watch the show or not. There was no logical reason to unleash that level of vitriol over just a few words, especially before the show has even aired. Now all of y'all line up and tell her you're sorry.
I'm thinking about leaving animesuperhero forums in the future. I don't know if I want to continue posting much if nobody else is interested.
Also another thing is I have lot of stuff to do and too busy. I'll still be around.

Featured Posts