"SpongeBob Squarepants" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanc

Shopping List finally aired in Nick USA, as before that it aired in other countries

Action!

Library Card
I liked the episode. I liked the books and the tv show.

kanc

According to this, it looks like season 11 episodes of spongebob will be completed by end of november (if there is spongebob episodes in november set), 26 half hours in 14 months!!, season 12 should be set in november!

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I was looking on the SpongeBob wiki for the episode "Big Pink Loser" , and it said that the scene where he says "The smallest you can think of", the voice was done by Steve Blum. That is pretty surreal, yet awesome.

Big Pink Loser

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
Just like the last week of premieres, I wasn't too impressed with this new batch of episodes. None were god-awful or anything, but none really stuck out to me, either.

Shopping List: Just a re-hash of other episodes all blended up into an extremely bland episode. Mr. Krabs sends Spongebob on a mission, Plankton is foiled by repetitive slapstick gags, the item in question turns out to be a fake...all of it just feels so...familiar. Half of the episode is bascially Spongebob and Sandy going after an item and finding a "wacky way" to retrieve it, and then Plankton goes after the item and fails in another "wacky way." Plus the ending is SO PREDICTABLE. Of course the shopping list was a fake! Of course Mr. Krabs was going to get comeuppance for being a jerk. It feels like "Patty Caper" all over again, not to mention a slew of other episodes. Yeah, I didn't like this one. I wouldn't be shocked if PieGuyRulz rates it as a ScumBob episode when he reviews season 11.

Library Cards: This one wasn't as bad as I originally thought it might be. I liked the book puns, and Patrick didn't get on my nerves too much here. I also liked the gags of Patrick's brain building skyscrapers out of the words from the books. However, the episode does have some flaws, in my opinion. Patrick gaining knowledge and becoming smart was EXACTLY like "Patrick SmartPants," right down to the exact same voice. Plus, the Sir Urchin and Snail Fail Show gag got old really quickly. Like, yeah, I know its supposed to be repetitive and annoying, but if you're gonna show it three times in the episode with the punchline being repeated like six times during each showing, please mix up the slapstick a bit. Heck, even changing the background or the dialogue a bit would make it more entertaining, but it felt like the exact same gag (which wasn't too funny in the first place imo) repeated over and over again.

Plankton Paranoia: I saw something on Twitter about this being payback for what Mr. Krabs did to Plankton in "One Course Meal." But yeah this episode is just...Mr. Krabs being paranoid and then everyone throwing a surprise party for him at the end. Nothing original here. I liked some of the animation and artistic choices, but nothing really made me laugh, so I found the episode to be kind of boring.

Call the Cops: I also found myself zoning out of this episode as well. It feels like nothing was accomplished here. Plankton got arrested for some reason, even though he's pretty much never been arrested for stealing the Krabby Patty formula (I guess he was in the first movie, but in that case, he actually tried to rule the world). Then he never actually gets out of jail in the end, and Patrick shows up for no reason whatsoever and acts like a total dunce. How is making ice cream in the toilet with gross, random items funny? Also, the little girl turns out to be a mastermind criminal and gets Spongebob to "confess" without really saying or doing ANYTHING? Yeah, I didn't get this one. I think they had some golden opportunities here to make it funny and have a semi-decent story, but the plot was all over the place.

*sigh* Well, I sure do hope they improve from here, because after two mediocre weeks, I'm starting to lose faith in this show again. I may go back to not watching new episodes anymore if they keep turning out like this. Hopefully, "The Night Patty" on October 26th will be fun.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
How? The only premieres Nick airs on Saturday mornings are Rise of the TMNT at 9:30 and Power Rangers at noon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Actually, come to think of it, "Sunday SpongeDay" has more of a ring to it.

Also, here's the promo mentioned earlier in this thread! (ableit in low quality.)

PinkieLopBun

That's so interesting!
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
psphnrz-jpg.190141

The Night Patty/The Grill Is Gone
Airs October 21, 2018 at 11 A.M. on Nickelodeon.
When SpongeBob volunteers to help out the Krusty Krab's night shift crew, the late-night customers crave something creepier than usual; SpongeBob helps out the Krusty Krab's night shift crew, but the customers crave something creepier than usual.​

walter

NickKid
So what did everyone think of the two new episodes? I think both are good and even if they reused concepts from other seasons, at least it adds something new that we haven't seen before. (Depends on what you think.)

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
  • The Night Patty: It’s a good concept and had some good jokes. Plus, Nosferatu returned. RATING: Ample.
  • The Grill Is Gone: Good plot, but it felt a bit slow, and Plankton’s role was unneeded. RATING: Alright.

Last edited:

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member

Wha...what?

Okay, I have two thoughts.

Firstly, didn't they do a sort of origin story for Spongebob already in "Truth or Square" when he first moved to Bikini Bottom? Correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't seen the special in a while. And even if "Truth or Square" didn't contain an "origin story" per se, I feel like with over two hundred episodes, SOMEWHERE the show has a moment that will contradict the movie continuity-wise. An origin story is such a bad idea because of this reason. Not that Spongebob has good continuity, but still.

Also, an all CGI Spongebob flick? *sigh* I'm not surprised but definitely disappointed. When Spongebob: Sponge Out of Water came out in 2015, it was so refreshing to see a 2D animated film in theaters because those virtually don't exist anymore (unless you count certain anime film releases in U.S. theaters). I was so hoping that this trend would continue for the 2020 movie...but I guess not. It looks like traditional animation will truly go extinct in the cinema world, and maybe even in the television one.

Now, in response to @walter, here's what I thought about the two new episodes this week.

The Night Patty: This one was kind of clever. I liked the idea of a "night shift" at the Krusty Krab (although episodes like "Graveyard Shift" and "Fear of a Krabby Patty" had characters working into the night). I liked that the character designs from "Rock Bottom" made a reappearance, plus the new "night food" was really creative and had some great animation. Also, the Nosferatu gag wasn't as forced and out of place as I expected it to be, so that was good, I guess. This episode wasn't extremely funny, unfortunately, and I didn't get why the writers decided to bring back "The Tidal Zone." I figured that was a one episode joke, but I guess not. Overall, I thought this one was pretty decent and one of the best in recent months.

The Grill is Gone: This one was alright. I kind of liked Spongebob's freak-out sequence when it dawned on him that the grill was missing. But in terms of the plot...we've seen so much of this before! We've had episodes with cars and races, like "The Hot Shot" and "Demolition Dofus." Isn't funny to see episodes like this where Spongebob can suddenly drive? I get that the vehicle wasn't really a boatmobile, but it was close enough. Plus, I didn't find the kids in this episode to be funny or memorable. They were just so bland and stereotypical! Also, was anyone else full-out expecting the Patty Mobile to make a reappearance? With how many pre and post-movie references they're bringing back, I wouldn't have been shocked to see it in an episode about driving. And yeah...Plankton did feel like a shoe-in here. At least he wasn't in it for very much. Overall, I felt this one was forgettable.

Also, no "my leg!" gag during the car pile-up. :(

walter

NickKid
I think I'm going to skip this one. I think 2 Movies is enough, not to mention it's going to ruin Spongebob's Reputation like the Seasons 6-8 Fiasco. So I'm going to skip out on this one.
Wha...what?
Firstly, didn't they do a sort of origin story for Spongebob already in "Truth or Square" when he first moved to Bikini Bottom? Correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't seen the special in a while. And even if "Truth or Square" didn't contain an "origin story" per se, I feel like with over two hundred episodes, SOMEWHERE the show has a moment that will contradict the movie continuity-wise. An origin story is such a bad idea because of this reason. Not that Spongebob has good continuity, but still.
To answer your question, yes.

Last edited:

Eldorado

I think that maybe it'll play like "It's A Wonderful Life" where the story of how the main character got here will start first. As for the summer camp thing, it'll probably have SpongeBob just meeting Patrick and Squidward for the first time, then it'll move into a CGI remake of Help Wanted and then maybe Tea At The Treedome and then it'll go to where SpongeBob is in trouble and he gets a live-action human Guardian Angel to help him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Looking at the Boomerang Imaginary Rebrand pitch really makes me wish that we get this rebrand instead of what we got in 2015.

I was at my local Wal-Mart, and they had merchandise out for the new Garfield movie. There's a plush doll of Baby Garfield that meows, and you have to feed him a piece of lasagna or pizza.
I want to thank both Silverstar and Goldstar for their awesome posts and great presence in this forum. Love ya!
Hey, internet: You all owe Natasha Klein (creator of Primos) an apology. It doesn't matter if you want to watch the show or not. There was no logical reason to unleash that level of vitriol over just a few words, especially before the show has even aired. Now all of y'all line up and tell her you're sorry.

Featured Posts