PBS Kids Channel News and Discussion

DavidVi11aronga

"Get a load of T H I S"
Here's the new PBS Kids Channel Schedule starting January 1, 2018. Changes are in bold.

6AM - Fetch! with Ruff Ruffman
6:30AM - Cyberchase
7AM - Cyberchase
7:30AM - WordGirl
8AM - Arthur
8:30AM - Arthur
9AM - The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That (replaces Pet + Cat)
9:30AM - Sesame Street (replaces The Cat in the Hat)
10AM - Peg + Cat (replaces Super Why)
10:30AM - Super Why (replaces Clifford)
11AM - Clifford the Big Red Dog (replaces Thomas and Friends)
11:30AM - Caillou (replaces Thomas and Friends)
12PM - Sid the Science Kid (replaces Caillou)
12:30PM - WordWorld (replaces Sid the Science Kid)
1PM - Peep and the Big Wide World (replaces Bob the Builder)
1:30PM - Super Why (replaces WordWorld)
2PM - Sesame Street (replaces Super Why)
2:30PM - Dinosaur Train (replaces Sesame Street)
3PM - Dinosaur Train (replaces Sesame Street)
3:30PM - Splash and Bubbles (replaces Dinosaur Train)
4PM - Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood (replaces Dinosaur Train)

4:30PM - Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood
5PM - Ready Jet Go! (replaces replaces Daniel Tiger)
5:30PM - Ready Jet Go! (replaces Splash and Bubbles)

6PM - Nature Cat
6:30PM - Nature Cat (replaces Ready Jet Go)
7PM - Wild Kratts
7:30PM - Wild Kratts
8PM - Odd Squad
8:30PM - Odd Squad
9PM - Arthur
9:30PM - Arthur
10PM - Sesame Street (replaces Super Why)
10:30PM - Dinosaur Train (replaces Sesame Street)
11PM - Dinosaur Train (replaces Sesame Street)
11:30PM - Splash and Bubbles (replaces Dinosaur Train)
12AM - Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood (replaces Dinosaur Train)

12:30AM - Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood
1AM - Ready Jet Go! (replaces Daniel Tiger)
1:30AM - Ready Jet Go! (replaces Splash and Bubbles)

2AM - Nature Cat
2:30AM - Nature Cat (replaces Ready Jet Go)
3AM - Wild Kratts
3:30AM - Wild Kratts
4AM - Odd Squad
4:30AM - Odd Squad
5AM - Arthur
5:30AM - Arthur

NEW (to channel):
Peep and the Big Wide World (surprising, ain't it)

GONE:
Bob the Builder
Thomas and Friends

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I know there's 3 PBS stations...I didn't know that one of them had switched over to being all "PBS Kids", all the time. That's really cool.

My kids watch PBS Kids every morning, and sometimes in the evenings. The regular PBS channel almost always has cartoons on, now it appears there will always be a channel devoted to cartoons. Well, majority cartoons. I think "Odd Squad" is the only live action kids show they have, at the moment.

It'd be cool if they did retro PBS Kids material on this station - bring back stuff like "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego" and 90's "Bill Nye the Science Guy" or "80's "Reading Rainbow" episodes.

DavidVi11aronga

"Get a load of T H I S"
It'd be cool if they did retro PBS Kids material on this station - bring back stuff like "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego" and 90's "Bill Nye the Science Guy" or "80's "Reading Rainbow" episodes.
Not a bad idea, but I'd prefer more recent but still nostalgic shows (Zoboomafoo, The Berenstain Bears, Between the Lions, etc.)

I think "Odd Squad" is the only live action kids show they have, at the moment.
There's also Sesame Street for the most part, and then there are the shows that are half-animation/half-cartoons, or cartoons with live-action segments, such as Fetch, Wild Kratts, and Arthur.

Last edited by a moderator:

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Well, I guess their focus isn't on being a retro channel (like "MeTV" or "Antenna TV"). I guess it just so happens they have enough animated kids shows from the last few years to warrant a full 24/7 channel now.

The oldest animated show on the channel is probably "Arthur" (though they're probably showing episodes from recent years, not stuff from the 90's). Besides that, the oldest cartoon (with no new episodes in production) airing on this channel is probably "Clifford the Big Red Dog" (in production from 2000 to 2003).

EDIT: Or the oldest may be "Caillou", in production from 1997 to 2003 (with a brief revival from 2006 to 2010). But that technically started out as a Canadian (French Quebec) production. Not an in-house PBS Kids production.

Last edited:

DavidVi11aronga

"Get a load of T H I S"
EDIT: Or the oldest may be "Caillou", in production from 1997 to 2003 (with a brief revival from 2006 to 2010).
Yeah, that's probably the oldest ended show on the channel. (BTW there were also a recent season that aired in 2013)

As for the oldest show in general, that definitely goes to Sesame Street, having aired ever since the 60s

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Yeah, that's probably the oldest ended show on the channel. (BTW there were also a recent season that aired in 2013)

As for the oldest show in general, that definitely goes to Sesame Street, having aired ever since the 60s

Well, if they had a season in 2013/2014, (after the 2006 to 2010 years), then that's practically like it's still in existence. It might come back again.

And yeah, Sesame Street's the oldest thing ever, but they're not going to show episodes from the 90's...heck, they'll probably not show any Sesame Street episode from prior to 2010.

DavidVi11aronga

"Get a load of T H I S"
Well, if they had a season in 2013/2014, (after the 2006 to 2010 years), then that's practically like it's still in existence. It might come back again.

And yeah, Sesame Street's the oldest thing ever, but they're not going to show episodes from the 90's...heck, they'll probably not show any Sesame Street episode from prior to 2010.
Obviously they wont air the really old episodes (after all, you gotta stay relevant with the kiddies), I was just saying it went on nearly 50 years ago.

And besides, the channel is what it is. It's nearly 2018, and if the channel wants to stay relevant, it should do that and keep doing it's job.

JaredCap43™

I'm the Mighty Pocoyo, no CEO can defeat me!

2010 was when the fifth season aired on Treehouse in Canada, it aired on PBS Kids three years later.

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
If you're looking for older Sesame Street episodes, they're all on HBO. PBS now only has the rights to the HBO episodes, while HBO has the rights to every Sesame Street episode ever made.

Last edited:

Toons Fan

‪From the official Thomas & Friends US Facebook page.‬

ac570c8b3f85018dd3582b147f7041b1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vaughn Max

‪From the official Thomas & Friends US Facebook page.‬

ac570c8b3f85018dd3582b147f7041b1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Can somebody please get PBS to keep the rights to Thomas? I swear Nick will treat it badly and it will get cancelled. Just look what they recently did with Bunsen is A Beast

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Vaughn Max

Unlike Bunsen, Thomas and Friends is an international hit, so I highly doubt they will treat it like crap.
I just hope Nick is nice enough to keep it's PBS branding like the WNET Thirteen logo and the PBS Kids system cue intact

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
I just hope Nick is nice enough to keep it's PBS branding like the WNET Thirteen logo and the PBS Kids system cue intact

And the funding too

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. First of all, Viacom doesn't own PBS. Secondly, Nickelodeon is a cable channel and gets money from commercials and not its viewers.

Vaughn Max

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. First of all, Viacom doesn't own PBS. Secondly, Nickelodeon is a cable channel and gets money from commercials and not its viewers.
I could try contacting Nick because some people know Thomas for it's PBS branding

Vaughn Max

Yes, but it's not owned by PBS. It's owned by Mattel, who acquired Hit Entertainment, who in turn acquired Gullane (Thomas) Ltd.
Then maybe I should contact HiT Entertainment and tell them to keep the PBS branding intact when it airs on Nick or better yet, keep it on PBS

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
Interestingly, in the UK (where Thomas and Friends is made) the series did air on their Nick Jr for a period of time.

But yeah, I think it'll be fine. I mean, for a while literally it's only American exposure was sporadic VHS/DVD releases.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Al Jean hoping The Simpsons makes it to 1000 episodes sounds more like a threat than a promise, especially with how Julie Kavner's voice has been sounding.
Veronica Taylor posted on Twitter that Rachael Lillis has been ill for a few months, and posted the link to a GoFundMe set up by Rachael's sister Laurie. I will post it here:

Here's an Intel Pentium MMX commercial featuring the voice of Casey Kasem, along with a certain disco hit song:

Boomerang might as well join Nicktoons and TeenNick now.

Featured Posts