Marvel's Spider-Man "The Living Brain" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this "Spider-Man" Episode!

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 1 16.7%

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 1 16.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Catch a new episode of Marvel's Spider-Man, tonight at 7:00PM ET on Disney XD!

Yqj5AHH.jpg
Marvel's Spider-Man "The Living Brain"
Episode Debut - August 13th, 2018

Spider-Man must fight his way through the Super-Villain Holding Facility to challenge the Living Brain, the robot body that is housing the mind of Doctor Octopus.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

Last edited:

ShadowBeast

To think, Doc Ock's plans could've easily been ruined if Peter had been smart and rested like he should have. I really hope that After Peter gets his body back, we'll be done with Doc Ock for quite a while. He's really been overused in this show.

TheLemsterPju

There was something really upsetting about the looming, inevitable doom of Ock overpowering Peter and taking his body. Maybe because of the Superior Spider-Man comic run being what it was, but I got the same hopeless vibe I had at times when watching TMNT 2K12.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
There was something really upsetting about the looming, inevitable doom of Ock overpowering Peter and taking his body. Maybe because of the Superior Spider-Man comic run being what it was, but I got the same hopeless vibe I had at times when watching TMNT 2K12.
It all depends on how long this story arc lasts. I could see this going half a season at most. Though from what I read on tv tropes about this arc, the comics for this story ran for about a year and a quarter, or about the length of 25 or so issues, meaning it could be a bit longer. Then again, Spiderman is known for angst.

Miyamoto Musashi

Law Enforcer
This show's version of Octavius is annoying. Last two shows have an entertaining Doc Ock, and then we get this?

I might avoid the Superior Spider-Man altogether cause this decision is just... ugh.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
This show's version of Octavius is annoying. Last two shows have an entertaining Doc Ock, and then we get this?

I might avoid the Superior Spider-Man altogether cause this decision is just... ugh.
I find this version of Doc Ock to be just as entertaining and interesting to watch as the others, though de is definitely stepping some moral boundaries. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Marvel's Spider-Man "The Living Brain"

Epic win by Doc Ock here. I especially love that they left the secret ID stuff completely untouched and a mess to be endured next week. Just the fact that we don't even get a HINT at what a horrowshow Peter's friends are in for was a smart storytelling move. This show is not known for smart storytelling. So when it delivers, I wanna give it its due.

For the record, were I Spidey I would not haven voluntarily unmasked in front of the chief for any reason. She would have had to force me to do it. Spidey shows entirely too much deference not only to authority, but adults in general. It makes sense because he's still a kid, but an adult superhero would never unmasked themselves simply because they were told to. It's because Spidey is still a kid which is why he would still be dumb enough to follow that order from an adult.

You know, Miles' reaction to Anya as Spider-Girl was kind of underwhelming, but that's partly why it was funny. He didn't know HOW to reaction. It threw him SO for a loop he didn't have a quip ready in the rolodex. Another thing to show that he and Peter are two entirely different people.

The next few weeks are gonna be messed up. *****.

ShadowBeast

Oh, another thing i was disappointing in was that from the episode description, I thought SpiderMan was going to be dealing with a lot more villains that he put away like the Wild Pack, Mysterio, and the Chameleon.

Yeah, I find this version of Doc Ock annoying as well.

Frontier

Staff member
This season's been building-up to the Superior storyline for the most part, and I thought this two-parter did a good job of leading into it, especially when they gave you enough information to realize what Doc Ock's endgame was until he finally revealed it to Spidey at the end :evil:.

So I guess Electro can now enter into her energy form at will, which is definitely not a good thing for Spidey :eek:.

I was kind of surprised to see Spidey punching a girl like that. Not that I'm unused to him fighting women at this point, but it was kind of new seeing him trying to punch out a female villain like that :confused:.

I loved Miles' reaction to Anya being Spider-Girl. He just had no idea how to respond to that :p.

It was fun to see Spidey team-up with Yuri and tangle with the villains alongside her, leading to the Chief finally fully accepting Spider-Man as a hero and even praising his never-give-up attitude. It's just too bad that didn't do him any good by the end of the episode :ack:.

Beetle firing one of Jack O'Lantern's candy cannons was pretty amusing. I guess one good thing came out of Spidey tussling with him ;).

"You're a natural!" Well, Anya did have a lot of time to practice her powers during Spider-Island, granted everyone on this show seems to be quicker at grasping their spider-powers then Peter did :rolleyes2:.

The police praising Spider-Man and Miles and Anya hoping this turns around public opinion on Spider-Man was super-ironic in light of the fact that a dangerous Supervillain is now in possession of Peter's body. I don't foresee this ending well :mad:.

I liked how the last shot of Spider-Man's face angled the eyes sharply like the Superior costume's mask :cool:

This was a pretty depressing ending to the episode when you think about it. Doc Ock managed to overwhelm Spidey and transfer his consciousness into Peter's body, meaning Otto essentially won, and will probably learn Spidey's identity once he takes off his mask, with no one the wiser to what's going on :sad:.

I guess the one silver-lining is that Peter's consciousness is apparently in what's left of the Living Brain, although it doesn't look like that thing will be picking itself back up again anytime soon :(.
I at least appreciate that, unlike USM's Ock for most of the series, this version actually acts like Doc Ock.

I'm looking forward to seeing Robbie Daymond's performance as the Superior Spider-Man in the next set of episodes, even if we'll also be hearing Scott Menville in Ock's internal thoughts :).

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Imagine if, after however long his stint as Spiderman is, Doc Ock decides to straight up reveal that Peter Parker is Spiderman, which would really break him.
I was kind of surprised to see Spidey punching a girl like that. Not that I'm unused to him fighting women at this point, but it was kind of new seeing him trying to punch out a female villain like that :confused:.

"You're a natural!" Well, Anya did have a lot of time to practice her powers during Spider-Island, granted everyone on this show seems to be quicker at grasping their spider-powers then Peter did :rolleyes2:.
This was a pretty depressing ending to the episode when you think about it. Doc Ock managed to overwhelm Spidey and transfer his consciousness into Peter's body, meaning Otto essentially won, and will probably learn Spidey's identity once he takes off his mask, with no one the wiser to what's going on :sad:.

I guess the one silver-lining is that Peter's consciousness is apparently in what's left of the Living Brain, although it doesn't look like that thing will be picking itself back up again anytime soon :(.

I'm looking forward to seeing Robbie Daymond's performance as the Superior Spider-Man in the next set of episodes, even if we'll also be hearing Scott Menville in Ock's internal thoughts :).

1. Well, in part 4 of "Bring On The Bad Guys", she trashed all the inventions at the Horizon Open House, pretty muc squashing Peter's chances to combat his money problem, and showed no remorse. I'd take that pretty personally.

2. Well, it's somewhat implied that being level headed helps you control your powers better, and those like Anya and Miles are less prone to stress than Peter.

3. Well, being a superhero and a normal kid is never easy, and the Spiderman mythos does go into darker places with it.

4. Hopefully, he can convince at least one person of who he really is.

5. Kind of like Jonathan Adams and Adrian Tonaquelle in the season 2 finale of Legend Of Korra.

Frontier

Staff member
Imagine if, after however long his stint as Spiderman is, Doc Ock decides to straight up reveal that Peter Parker is Spiderman, which would really break him.
I don't think we're going to see Otto outing Spider-Man identity, but he's probably going to throw his reputation even more into the toilet :sweat:.
1. Well, in part 4 of "Bring On The Bad Guys", she trashed all the inventions at the Horizon Open House, pretty muc squashing Peter's chances to combat his money problem, and showed no remorse. I'd take that pretty personally.
I don't think Peter took it very personally, but he definitely was not happy when he figured out where that laugh came from :ack:.
2. Well, it's somewhat implied that being level headed helps you control your powers better, and those like Anya and Miles are less prone to stress than Peter.
Probably because they don't have to deal with what he does on such a daily basis :eek:.
5. Kind of like Jonathan Adams and Adrian Tonaquelle in the season 2 finale of Legend Of Korra.
Kind of I guess, although I was more thinking Goro Akechi from Persona 5 :p.

Agreed with Frontier and SweetShop209 about Doc Ock. I absolutely love this version of Doc Ock. These animated Spidey shows have been quite kind to Otto. Scott Menville is such a good Doc Ock and I'm so excited to see the show tackle the Superior Spider-Man saga. They have been hyping this up in interviews since before Season 1 even premiered. I can't wait to see what's in store for Otto and Peter and how their dynamic will change next!

Loverofcomix

Great episodes. I get the NYPD are one of the annoying obstacles that get in Peter's way, but the cops aren't in the wrong here. When the chief mentioned "destruction of property" and "breaking and entering", she is right about that. There are times Peter and Miles do break into buildings, and break stuff by accident while trying to stop the villain of the week. As much I want to root for the hero to get away, the cops are just doing their jobs.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Great episodes. I get the NYPD are one of the annoying obstacles that get in Peter's way, but the cops aren't in the wrong here. When the chief mentioned "destruction of property" and "breaking and entering", she is right about that. There are times Peter and Miles do break into buildings, and break stuff by accident while trying to stop the villain of the week. As much I want to root for the hero to get away, the cops are just doing their jobs.
They even once broke into a prison last season, although there wasn't much fallout from that :sweat:.

Heck, with all that in mind, Jonahs' haranguing of Spider-Man, nonsensical as it can sound, isn't without complete basis...

Spider-Man

I am getting caught up on this show and the last couple episodes have been really great and I'm excited that they're adapting Superior Spider-Man. This episode and the one before are maybe the best episodes of the series so far. The show slips up from time to time bit it's been consistently enjoyable even with its shortcomings, namely the sometimes weak animation. I also wish the show had the guts to give us a look into Max Modell's personal life. But for the first time since Spectacular Spider-Man I am really excited to see how the next episode and I hope this show gets picked up for another season.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Al Jean hoping The Simpsons makes it to 1000 episodes sounds more like a threat than a promise, especially with how Julie Kavner's voice has been sounding.
Veronica Taylor posted on Twitter that Rachael Lillis has been ill for a few months, and posted the link to a GoFundMe set up by Rachael's sister Laurie. I will post it here:

Here's an Intel Pentium MMX commercial featuring the voice of Casey Kasem, along with a certain disco hit song:

Boomerang might as well join Nicktoons and TeenNick now.

Featured Posts