"Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this new Marvel Animated Feature!

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 1 25.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ***1/2

• **1/2

Votes: 1 25.0%

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out Marvel's new feature-length animated movie! Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors premieres tonight on both the Disney Channel and Disney XD, starting at 10:00PM ET!

EJIUw9r.png

Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors
Debut - September 30th, 2018
Written by - Mairghread Scott
Directed by - Alfred Gimeno
Executive Producers - Joe Quesada, Dan Buckley, Cort Lane, Eric Radomski
Co-Executive Producers - Stan Lee, Sana Amanat, Marsha Griffin

Synopsis: Powered teens Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Quake, Patriot, America Chavez, and Inferno join forces as an unlikely, but formidable crew of aspiring heroes. When a threat no one could have expected bears down on the Marvel Universe, this ragtag, untrained band of teens have no choice but to rise together and prove to the world that sometimes the difference between a “hero” and “misfit” is just in the name.

Chloe Bennet is Daisy Johnson AKA Quake, a leading agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. whose tendency for rule-breaking gets her into trouble now and then. Milana Vayntrub is Doreen Green AKA Squirrel Girl, the uber-positive, hilarious best friend and teammate of Ms. Marvel. Kathreen Khavari is Kamala Khan AKA Ms. Marvel, a devoted fan of Super Heroes, especially of her mentor Captain Marvel; she is determined that she too can be a great hero! Kamil McFadden is Rayshun Lucas AKA Patriot, a natural born leader who is quick to leap into action to impress his colleagues at S.H.I.E.L.D. Tyler Posey is Dante Pertuz AKA Inferno, a brooding, dark loner on the run.

BooBoo Stewart is Victor Kohl AKA Exile, a charming, handsome, and troublesome young Inhuman whose quest for superiority places him into the wrong crowd. Cierra Ramirez as America Chavez, a strong, independent young hero whose painful past drives her to reject leadership and remain a loner. Kim Raver is Carol Danvers AKA Captain Marvel, a bold leader who doesn’t sugar-coat and is guided by a strong sense of duty and honor. Ming-Na Wen is Hala, a Kree Accuser bent on galactic domination. She’ll go to any length or treacherous means to achieve what she, and the entire Kree race, wants: Power. And Dee Bradley Baker voices both Tippy Toe, Doreen’s partner in crime and best squirrel friend, and Lockjaw, Kamala’s trusty, teleporting mutt.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Other relevant links:
- "Marvel Rising" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)
- "Marvel Rising: Initiation" Animated Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)

- The Marvel HQ YouTube Channel

Dudley

Staff member
Wait, is Squirrel Girl a mutant in this?

Huh, this is a little lame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I was hoping they might try doing a stylish intro sequence but they went for the usual Marvel Animation title flip. It was cool that they started the movie off with the ups and downs of Kamala's dual life. It's very Peter Parkeresque.

The digital backgrounds and props always feel like the worst looking things in Marvel's cartoons in my opinion. I wish they would finally move past doing things this way all the time.

I wish some things were done differently but I can't say I didn't enjoy it. I'm glad they tried to have more expressive animation though I wish that the coloring, backgrounds, etc, enhanced what was there to give us the best looking product possible. I like the characters as they're shown here for the most part but there were moments of characters overreacting to situations, etc, that could get a little annoying. I honestly chuckled at jokes. The humor can be super goofy but it never felt as bottom of the barrel to me as it can on some of the shows. I wasn't expecting Exile to be more of a villain than Hala but I guess this was due to the more personal interactions he had with the characters than she did. He was a really damaged antagonist lashing out at the world while she just felt like a typical Kree overlord. The whole plot of gathering Inhumans and making them fight it out reminded me of the last season of SHIELD. I don't know if this movie will accomplish what they want it to but I hope to see more from this, and hopefully it fixes any shortcomings from this movie. I'd be interested to see something related to the possible Asgard situation hinted at in the end and I especially want to see more Ghost Spider, who I missed here. It will probably take another viewing for me to fully collect my thoughts on how I feel about this but I do really like what they were going for.

On another note, this may be different in tone and everything but what the Captains have set up here with a team of young heroes doing what the Avengers can't, feels similar to the setup of another teen hero show.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Northstar

Well, here on my thought on Marvel Rising waring it not going to be pretty.
Let’s start with the positive the animation is nice, and the music is pretty good too. The voice acting is decent.

That said the dialogue was bland and predictable, I could correctly guess what a character was going to say a few minutes into the show. The story isn’t great either it’s full the same old cliché that wouldn’t be so bad if it were well written it’s not the plot is as protectable as the dialogue. Wail some might say it for children so that’s. To which I say no it's not I’ve seen plenty of “kids” shows that were well written. Also, the be yourself message is hamfisted even for a kids show.

The characters were mostly flat, which didn’t help matter much. Poor Captain Marvel too bad you weren’t lucky enough to get dropped from this like Gwen was because you were completely wasted here. If you saw the trailer then you pretty saw every scene she was in. It seems she was only there to validate Kamala, While brief Kamala’s interaction with Carol felt disingenuous as usual.

The verdict is it's an hour and half of my life I want back.

Note: I get both Disney Channel West and East that why I'm early with this.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
What can I say....this flick actually ruled.
Stuff like this is what, IMPO, should have been on TV in the fall of 1978, when I was 10 yo.
Yours is the correct opinion.

Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors

Every time I see Star Wars: Forces Of Destiny, I always say “My God, this show is eating DC Super Hero Girls’ lunch.” Upon seeing Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors I thought “My God, this show is eating Forces of Destiny’s lunch.”

Forces of Destiny is actually passable. But that’s all it is. It’s only decent compared to DC Super Hero Girls. It doesn’t exactly talk down to the viewer, but it isn’t intelligently written either.

Secret Warriors is fun, actually has cool anime-inspired animation, and the story and characters are compelling. And maybe I shouldn’t bring this up, because it may be considered irrelevant to the people who make the show. But I have a sneaking suspicion this show has the potential to be popular with little boys. I imagine little boys hate DC Super Hero Girls, and find it offensive to their sensibilities. And while I imagine they don’t despise Forces of Destiny so much, I imagine they WILL find it relatively boring, at least compared to the rest of the Star Wars canon. This cartoon designed for girls, is surprisingly gender neutral in tone. I feel like boys could like and watch it without feeling embarrassed. And that’s really cool and unusual thing about a show designed for girls. It was probably also true for Sailor Moon. But Sailor Moon was the last cartoon made that I think that was probably true for. Even if My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic has a lot of male viewers, those are mostly adults. From what I’ve seen, little boys still stay away from that show. I don’t think that will be true for Marvel Rising. I could be wrong. But it has the potential to become an actual sensation ,and double the audience of both boys actions cartoons and girls action cartoons. A series needs to be greenlit. That is a must at this point.

It also deals with topical issues I don’t see other cartoons dealing with. I mean, this is the first cartoon to deal with Kamala’s Muslim upbringing, and America telling her she is not the type of person she could ever trust, tells me Inhuman bigotry is not the only racism she has to deal with. Isn’t it ironic she is told that by a character literally NAMED America? That pushed the right buttons. The show also has America having two moms in the flashback without making a federal case out of it. I also like that Disney Channel allowed them to use the word “kill” when they absolutely needed to. This movie got a lot of welcome leeway. I don’t know if a running series would. But the movie is very special to me for the boundaries it broke.

Let me try to offer opinions on the characters and plot.

I felt the movie was overlong. That’s not a problem, because it was good, but it probably would have went down better as a three part episode, instead of watching it all at once.

I find a large, loud woman in a squirrel costume with a rodent on her shoulder sniffing a stranger’s face / chest to be exactly as creepy and off-putting as Patriot and Captain America do. It’s not just Squirrel Girl’s gimmick and costume that alienates people from her. It’s her bizarre behavior.

I like that the guy who uses fire is named Dante. That’s clever.

My favorite joke was when the bike shop owner tells America she is going to have to pay for the bike she broke with her own salary, America retorts, “Well you pay me next to nothing, and the bike is worth LESS than nothing. So in reality, you actually owe ME.” I’m not sure the logic or the math of that quip holds up, but the burn still shut HIM the heck up.

Captain America continuity speculation: The series is NOT in continuity with any other Marvel series, even if Cap’s voice actor is the same. I will leave it up to the continuity nerds who have watched both this and Initiation multiple times to figure out which came first, and how Quake and Patriot’s meeting of Kamala and Doreen in that webisode series match up to their team-up here.

I like the reveal that Quake was an Inhuman. I like it because I initially objected to the gauntlets. But no, the series just says Daisy is shy about being an Inhuman. And that’s kind of cool.

Kamala seems to believe she denied she was an Inhuman with the bullies at the beginning. I disagree. The giant fist was as big an affirmative declaration as she ever needed to make.

I have loved Miss Marvel in every project I have seen her in. But she’s usually just the goofball kid who is excited to meet the Avengers. Here, she becomes a hero in the best way a comic book hero should be portrayed. I firmly believe every hero needs a niche strength. Not just a unique power, but the ability to do something no other hero can do. For the Flash it’s empathizing and talking down the villains who don’t actually mean harm. For Captain America, it’s inspiring confidence, and the want and need for goodness in people who know and need him. Hulk I think is the best hero for bridging the understanding of the fact that heroes and villains are often arbitrarily assigned that designation, and if you give someone scary-seeming a chance, they might surprise you in a good way.

Kamala’s role is not quite as big as those notions, but I think it’s equally important. And when I say what it is, I imagine Kamala would be mad at me for suggesting it, because it automatically means she can’t do as much cool stuff as other heroes without her specific skills.

Kamala is mad-good at crowd control.

Despite her bizarre appearance, and the fact that she’s brown, and wears a mask, civilians instinctively trust her. And good God, in major world crises, protecting civilians from both themselves and the fall-out from the actual battles is probably the most valuable skillset a person with superpowers could ever have. And Kamala would be upset at me noting how good she is at this. Because she’d automatically be sidelined on every exciting mission and battle from now on to protect the people in the line of fire. And that’s what I love about this version of Kamala. She is amazing at it.

Kamala is not perfect. I mean her wanting to give Victor another chance at the end rankled me. Not because he didn’t take it. Because I would have been furious if he did. Exile was no innocent duped into his mission. His crime involved Inhuman trafficking. He belongs in prison for the rest of his life. The government should not just forgive that specific type of crime on a pinky swear promise that he’ll be a hero from now on. Not everybody is built for redemption. And I think Kamala offering it to him after all of the horror he was responsible for, says that she contains all of the empathy of Spider-Man and the Flash, with none of the common sense about when it is appropriate.

I mean, the dude sucker-punched her in the stomach when she said no to him. Even if he weren’t an Inhuman trafficker he’s still a male abuser of women on his best day. Just the entire subtext of that made me sick to my stomach. Kamala should never be offering this person a second chance after that, much less after learning he was a slave-trader too.

On the less empowering side, when Dante knocked Squirrel Girl into the air was it wrong that my first reaction was leaning back my head like Cesar Flickerman, and screaming, “Squirrel on fire!”? It was, wasn’t it?

I loved this. I want more. And I want the movie on DVD badly. This was great. *****.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
There are moments, like Kamala's flashback, where it's really cool that they got The Answer Studio to work on this. I hope that they work with them on more projects in the future.

Were the kids mentioned again after Kamala got them to the escape pod? I can't remember.

I know that they used Lockjaw in this because he's a big cute dog but I wonder if there's a story behind why he's on his own on the Kree ship.

I wonder if Exile will show up again if we get a follow up on Gwen, since we did see him attack when she was on Sheath's trail.

Frontier

Staff member
I thought this was a pretty fun movie. It reminded me of the older Marvel animations, and even some DC cartoons, which I mean as a compliment. Visually I thought this was definitely one of the better looking Marvel animations we've seen in a while, with some fluid and dynamic character animations and really expressive character expressions/reactions, even if that quality wasn't always consistent and there were still a few clunky animations or visuals. I also felt the character interaction and banter was a step-up compared to other Marvel cartoons. Overall I'm looking forward to more Marvel Rising :D.

Honestly, I think this movie had the most faithful interpretation of Kamala from the comics in animated form yet compared to her depictions in Assemble and (especially) Marvel's Spider-Man. I feel it did a great job of capturing her awkwardness, her compassion, her enthusiasm, her belief in social and personal justice, her humor, and her confidence in a way that we haven't really seen in the other cartoons. It was also nice to see them finally acknowledging her family in an animated work. All the more fitting to be so true to her in something where she's the lead character :).

When has Tony Stark ever been "mysterious?" The man's practically the most open book of The Avengers :knd1:.

So if Patriot is Captain America's sidekick, what does that make Falcon :quinn:?

America was a little more talkative and high-pitched then I read her in the comics, but she at least had the attitude and personality down to pat :bcup:.

It was weird seeing the Inhumans so relevant to a Marvel cartoon again. It reminded me of back when every Marvel cartoon had to tie-in to the Inhumans because they were presumed to be having a movie come out, even though that didn't pan out. But I guess since a lot of the cast are Inhumans in origin they had to acknowledge it :shrug:.

Although at the same time the handling of the concept and role of Inhumans in this reminded me a heck of a lot of how Mutants are traditionally treated or viewed in the Marvel Universe. Like, you could replace whenever someone says "Inhuman" with "Mutant" and it would have still made sense. About the only thing really unique to the Inhuman experience was the Kree involvement :ack:.

I did find it a little odd that a story with such a major Inhumans component didn't feature the Inhuman Royal Family at all, or even mentioned them. Really, the only presence they had in this was Lockjaw, and they didn't acknowledge how major an Inhuman he is. Didn't Catherine Taber voice one of the SHIELD agents that arrested Daisy? Did they forget she's the official voice of Medusa o_O?

So is America from the Inhuman equivalent of Age of Apocalypse or Days of Futures Past? I did like them acknowledging her two moms, which is probably the first time we've seen genuine LGBTQ content with an LGBTQ character in a Marvel cartoon since...ever :harley:.

Y'know, it's kind of funny that this is the first time SHIELD's really been relevant in a Marvel cartoon in a while but their only real role in this is to obstruct the heroes. I guess some things never change :rolleyes2:.

I don't really have much to say about Captain Marvel in this, other then that she ultimately didn't really do that much. I still think the cartoons are a little too focused on telling us how awesome she is instead of showing us, though I did like her wearing a mask like back in the Ms. Marvel days. I also felt Kim Raver as Carol felt a little more natural and not as aggressive as Grey Griffin's Carol. Also did I detect the slightest hint of an accent :tweety:?

So if the Kree haven't been on Earth in thousands of years, how does Earth even know about them? Is it because they also experimented on Carol :mad:?

I think Carol and Quake have probably been in at least the same setting or panel together, but for the life of me I can't recall a single instance where they shared any dialogue with one another. Yet here they're close friends and mentor/protege. Fancy that :robin:.

It would've been nice if some of those other kids Hala and Exile had abducted were actual Nuhumans from the comics instead of just random kids in original Superhero costumes, but I guess given they got shipped off back to Earth it wouldn't have mattered too much...I did find it kind of amusing that one of them was basically Invisible Girl when we haven't seen Sue Storm in a cartoon in years :elle:.

That shot of all the Inhuman's families was kind of ruined for me when we just saw Kamala's Ammi and forgetting about her father and brother :(.

I thought Hala was a decent antagonist even if Exile was the Final Boss and she basically felt like Ronan in a dress, and her weapon doesn't hold a candle to Ronan's hammer. I think Ming-Na Wen did a good job with the role though :evil:.

Did Carol and America know Kree can survive in space when they launched Hala out of the ship :eek:?

So, uh...is Daisy still in trouble for going against orders and breaking out of custody? Is she even still with SHIELD by the end of the movie? Is Dante still in trouble for stealing a Hot Dog and destroying property? Or did Carol and the Avengers clear them both :confused:?

All respect to what the kids accomplished in this movie, but I don't really see the Avengers thinking twice about this kind of mission. This is a typical Tuesday for them ;).

I get that Daisy is the oldest and probably has more leadership experience, but it felt like Kamala was doing more leadership during this whole thing then she did :sweat:.

So the Secret Warriors are an unofficial team that are meant to be trained to be better heroes but not actually get involved in dangerous missions, although I'd be shocked if that actually stopped them :cool:.

Random Captain America appearance was random, and it's kind of weird to see him coming back from talks in Asgard when that's usually Thor's job. And his character design seemed really unfinished :frylock:.
I
On another note, this may be different in tone and everything but what the Captains have set up here with a team of young heroes doing what the Avengers can't, feels similar to the setup of another teen hero show.
I was very much reminded of the Justice League setting up the Team in Young Justice, bringing together a secret group of teen heroes in order to train them and give them a place to call home. I wonder if we should expect each Avenger to play "den mother" at certain points :p?

Although a secret base under a mechanic shop doesn't hold a candle to Mt. Justice or Titans Tower...but I guess it's more like the clubhouse the original Teen Titans were based out of :anime:.
I imagine little boys hate DC Super Hero Girls, and find it offensive to their sensibilities. And while I imagine they don’t despise Forces of Destiny so much, I imagine they WILL find it relatively boring, at least compared to the rest of the Star Wars canon.
As an adult male, I kinda hope boys can actually like DC Super Hero Girls even if it's obviously more aimed at a female audience, although I don't think there's anything specifically in there that boys should object to (other then the fairly occasional guy needing to get saved).
I find a large, loud woman in a squirrel costume with a rodent on her shoulder sniffing a stranger’s face / chest to be exactly as creepy and off-putting as Patriot and Captain America do. It’s not just Squirrel Girl’s gimmick and costume that alienates people from her. It’s her bizarre behavior.
I really felt bad for Cap in that scene...
Captain America continuity speculation: The series is NOT in continuity with any other Marvel series, even if Cap’s voice actor is the same. I will leave it up to the continuity nerds who have watched both this and Initiation multiple times to figure out which came first, and how Quake and Patriot’s meeting of Kamala and Doreen in that webisode series match up to their team-up here.
They even show a completely different depiction of Kamala getting hit by the Terrigen Mist then what we saw in Avengers: Ultron Revolution, on-top of the fact that she's obviously not an Avenger in this continuity.

Although I don't think Quake and Patriot ever encountered Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl in the webisodes.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
We saw four kids rescued (that are hopefully safe now) but Hala had more in her fight brackets.
eb13f219d4fc2749459c98402aed136e.jpg

I wonder if they weren't snatched as yet, weren't shown for animation reasons, or just met terrible dates.

Frontier

Staff member
We saw four kids rescued (that are hopefully safe now) but Hala had more in her fight brackets.

I wonder if they weren't snatched as yet, weren't shown for animation reasons, or just met terrible dates.

I swear I've seen that outfit on the guy with shades on the far right before...

TheLemsterPju

Thank you! I thought I only noticed that.

I like your theory better than mine (in which I thought the other six perished fighting each other on the ship).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts