"Marvel Rising" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Via BuzzFeed, Marvel Television is working on Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors, an upcoming feature-length animated film about a new generation of diverse superheroes.

Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors is part of a new, multi-platform animated franchise starring the next generation of Marvel heroes set to launch in 2018. The program will launch with six, four-minute digital shorts (which will follow Spider-Gwen with her new secret moniker, Ghost-Spider). Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors will premiere later in 2018.

Cast list:

- Kathreen Khavari will return to voice Ms. Marvel, aka Kamala Khan, Marvel's first-ever Muslim hero.

- Cierra Ramirez will voice Miss America, aka America Chavez, Marvel's first Latino-American LGBT character.

- Milana Vayntrub will voice Squirrel Girl. (She will also play Squirrel Girl when she makes her live-action debut on Marvel's New Warriors in 2018!)

- Agents of SHIELD star Chloe Bennet will, of course, voice Quake.

- Dove Cameron will voice Ghost-Spider, aka Spider-Gwen.

- Tyler Posey will voice Inferno, a brooding loner with the power of pyrokinesis.

- Kamil McFadden will voice Patriot, a young hero who strives to live up to Captain America's legacy.

- Kim Raver will voice Captain Marvel.

- Booboo Stewart will voice Exile, a troubling but handsome Inhuman.

- Dee Bradley Baker will voice Tippy Toe and Lockjaw.

- Ming-Na Wen will voice the villainous Hala.

Comments?

Stay tuned for further updates!

EDIT 9/30/2018: This thread covers discussions about everything related to the project - animated shorts, comic books, toys, etc.

Last edited:

thisguyisnotcool

Glad Marvel is going this direction. Helps find a new audience for characters their pushing

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
This kind of feels like a riff on DC Super Hero Girls, what with being a multi-platform animated property spotlighting a lot of ladies (and some guys too). Should be fun to see how this develops ;).

Though with the emphasis on diversity I'm surprised they went for "Secret Warriors" as the team title rather then "Champions" :ack:.

So is Marvel Television handling this instead of Marvel Animation?

It's cool to see Kathleen Khavari returning to voice Kamala, as well as Chloe Bennett and Milana Rayntrub reprising Quake and Squirrel Girl from their respective shows :).

Awesome to see Ms. America finally making her animated debut. Looking forward to hearing Cierra Ramirez in the role :D.

I wasn't expecting to see the new Patriot make his animated debut, so that's cool. Kind of feel bad that they're skipping over Eli though :(.

"Ghost-Spider? I wonder why they changed Gwen's codename? I mean, I guess it fits the design of her costume but I don't know why they wouldn't have her go by Spider-Woman (which is her actual codename, not Spider-Gwen) o_O.

I kind of feel bad for Laura Bailey and Grey Griffin that they got replaced for their roles, and this is the second time Grey Griffin has been snubbed in a movie role (she was originally Mother Gothel in Tangled) but I guess Dove Cameron predates Laura as as a super-powered Gwen Stacy :sweat:.

We also have Tyler Posey taking over Inferno from Antony Del Rio, though it also sounds like Inferno is going to be getting a bit of a personality makeover :tom:.

The only Inhuman Exile I can think of is a minor villain from Kierron Gillen's Iron Man run, so I'm curious to see what they do with him here. Also not surprised to see two Descendants stars in this :p.

For a second there I thought Ming Na-Wen was voicing Agent May, never expected she'd be voicing Hala (who's a relatively recent new villain in the comics) :eek:.

Troy Troodon

Promising premise, only downside for me personally is they went with prolific tv actors for the majority of the characters instead of actual voice actors.

Troy Troodon

That's nothing new, unfortunately...

:sad:

Seems like a promising concept for a Marvel Animated Film, character designs look good and hopefully the animation will be better than their TV work.

But again one personal complaint for me is that the majority of the cast here are prolific tv actors, and don't get me wrong they all seem like great actors, and Chloe Bennett in particular is good choice for Quake seeing as how she played her in Agents of Shield; as well as Tyler Posey as Inferno, Kamil McFadden as Patriot, and even Kim Raver of Grey's Anatomy fame as Captain Marvel. They're all good performers... except none of them are actual voice actors, or even celebrities who have experience in voice acting.

Only actual voice actor we see thus far is Dee Bradley Baker, but even he only gets to play the animal sidekicks in the project, but Dee can do more than just voice animals. Frankly I would have loved to hear Grey Delisle and Laura Bailey, and even Misty Lee return as Captain Marvel, Spider-Gween and Squirrel Girl, or even voice other characters. Heck I always wanted to hear Laura's take on Carol Danvers, or even hear Kari Wahlgren take a crack.

Ah well, suffice to say I do think this looks like a promising film.

Dudley

Staff member
This is good, and a great way to showcase these characters to new audiences. It’ll be interesting to see how they’ll handle Ms. America, and it’s always great to see more Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl.

As for the Ghost-Spider name change, I never read the comics, but Spider-Gwen is kind of a weird alias to go by. That’s like if Supergirl called herself Super Kara.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thisguyisnotcool

This is good, and a great way to showcase these characters to new audiences. It’ll be interesting to see how they’ll handle Ms. America, and it’s always great to see more Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl.

As for the Ghost-Spider name change, I never read the comics, but Spider-Gwen is kind of a weird alias to go by. That’s like if Supergirl called herself Super Kara.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well she's called Spider Woman not sure why that isn't the case here.

Frontier

Staff member
Well she's called Spider Woman not sure why that isn't the case here.

The only reason I could think of is that they want to promote Jessica Drew as Spider-Woman, but given it doesn't seem like there's any media plans with her it feels weird for them to give Gwen a new codename like this :confused:.

macattack

I see you!
Staff member
Reporter
None of this means anything if the writing isn't up to par. Marvel animated productions since 2012 have run the gamut from mediocre (the current Spidey, Guardians) to bad (better USM episodes, Where Monsters Dwell), or just awful (Agents of SMASH, worse USM episodes, Avengers Assemble in general). The only post-2012 animated production that wasn't awful in the writing department was Rise of Technovore, and that was outsourced to Japan.

If this "Secret Warriors" project has writing on the same level as the other productions, this will just be another bleh to wretched Marvel production with a new coat of paint and the usual amount of wasted potential.

Also, the casting has shades of Loeb interfering in the process all over it. I am reminded of his tendency to rely heavily on TV actors from way earlier in his reign of Marvel Animation and TV...

Also, "Ghost-Spider" is dumb. Just call her "Spider-Woman" for Pete's sake. Also, why does she have Gwenpool's hair?

Argh.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Just saw this in my YouTube feed. It seems a bit like a Marvel answer to Super Hero Girls, which is all right with me. If it turns out cool or fun or even just plain good, I'd be happy for that. Somehow, I'm still fairly optimistic about what Marvel could do. I just want to see some quality Marvel Animation, and hopefully the finished product is better looking than we're used to.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
This definitely feels like Marvel's answer to DC SuperHero Girls, which I'm fine with. I do think Marvel cartoons have gotten better. Though yeah I do wish there were more well known voice actors involved.

Mairghread Scott working here is no surprise given that girl focused projects based on established properties that have webisodes and movies tend to have women at the helm (such as Jennifer Muro on Star Wars: Forces Of Destiny or Shea Fontana with DC Superhero Girls and Palace Pets)

Frontier

Staff member
None of this means anything if the writing isn't up to par. Marvel animated productions since 2012 have run the gamut from mediocre (the current Spidey, Guardians) to bad (better USM episodes, Where Monsters Dwell), or just awful (Agents of SMASH, worse USM episodes, Avengers Assemble in general). The only post-2012 animated production that wasn't awful in the writing department was Rise of Technovore, and that was outsourced to Japan.
I think Spidey and Guardians range from solid to decent, AA is generally decent to sometimes solid, but that's just me...

Also, the casting has shades of Loeb interfering in the process all over it. I am reminded of his tendency to rely heavily on TV actors from way earlier in his reign of Marvel Animation and TV...
I can't imagine it's a coincidence that a lot of the TV actors are reprising their roles in this, but I'm kind of used to it in animated movies like this to a degree.
Also, "Ghost-Spider" is dumb. Just call her "Spider-Woman" for Pete's sake. Also, why does she have Gwenpool's hair?
Yeah, I really don't get why she isn't Spider-Woman in this o_O.

If there's one thing Gwen Stacy knows how to do, it's lifting fashion from other characters :p.
I enjoy her work and look forward to seeing what she brings to the table here ;).

I do wonder if she's also the one spearheading this initiative, ala Shea Fontana on DCSHG...

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
The press release on Marvel.com has some more details about the crew:
“Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors” is executive produced by Joe Quesada, Dan Buckley, Cort Lane, and Eric Radomski; co-executive produced by Stan Lee, Sana Amanat, and Marsha Griffin. The film and shorts were written by Mairghread Scott. Alfred Gimeno served as supervising director.

And lists two more characters and voice actors:

- Skai Jackson as Gloria “Glory” Grant

- Steven Weber as Captain George Stacy

Frontier

Staff member
And lists two more characters and voice actors:
Skai Jackson as Gloria “Glory” Grant
Glory seems kind of random but I'm guessing she's going to be based around the Glory from Spider-Gwen's Earth ;).

Steven Weber as Captain George Stacy
So Steven Weber went from voicing the Green Goblin to Captain Stacy. That's kind of weird to think about :sweat:.

Also kind of funny to think that we have two Spider-Man supporting characters in this when they aren't even starring in the actual Spider-Man cartoon :p.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Alfred Gimeno is involved? That's surprising given that his world this decade were TV-Y (Pound Puppies 2010, The 7D, Puppy Dog Pals), and I figured he transitioned to that. I assume this project will be TV-Y7.

ChessKing

The press release on Marvel.com say's Gwen/Ghost Spider and Glory Grant have a distance growing between them ever since their friend, Kevin, was murdered, Whose Kevin??
Why isn't it Peter Parker who was murdered/killed like in the Spider-Gwen comics unless Peter is alive in this and is Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

WBD announces a Meerkat Manor animated film. In other news, the world suddenly remembers Meerkat Manor exists.
Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)

Featured Posts