"Jem and the Holograms" Live-Action Pre-Release Movie Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonnieB21:-)

"JEM" Movie Press Junket

Ryan Guzman

Aurora Perrineau & Hayley Kiyoko

Aubrey Peeples & Stefanie Scott

There is no way that a movie with a $5 million dollar budget is going to pay to fly extras out to L.A, Calif. U.S. of A from Australia !!!!!!!!!:mad::mad:

image.png

Chu Chu Pain and Robo Synergy. Oh and Robo Synergy beat boxes?!?!:eek:

CRIfEMQWgAA10KP.jpg

Last edited:

Mandouga

A "review embargo", huh? In other words, the truth hurts, and we all know it. They know their movie is a turkey, so they're trying to prevent the reviewers from giving people a "heads up" about it.

In any event, and I don't know if I've said it before, but "in name only" is definitely an understatement in this case. An origin story? That's what the five part pilot is, isn't it? Then again, most people knew that...

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Turns out this comes out right before Halloween. Fitting.

An ad for it came on today. I'm scared for the poor people who somehow haven't heard what this thing is really like. "A Jem movie, finally!"

Clips From "JEM" Movie

Tonight I caught a commercial for "JEM" during The Muppets! Has-versal is actually bothering to spend real money promoting the movie. Last commercial I saw of it was during the tail end of "The Craft" on MTV.

"I'm Still Here"

Jem and the Holograms go acoustic with "We Got Heart" and of course Rio steps in it. Oh and Robo Synergy is there too.

Erica Raymond tries to recruit JatH.

"Who's Got The Heart Of A Hunter?" people who like "Youngblood" that's who.

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
I hate how Jem the movie is placed front and center at the Hasbro booth at Brand Licensing Europe this week, as seen in this tweet, directly underneath the big Hasbro logo. Are they continuing to thumb their nose at fans of the original Jem cartoon 8 days before the movie's release?

Mandouga

Not just fans, but anyone who "knows the difference" (and even those who have never heard of Jem in their lives). In any case, I think most of us (age notwithstanding, here at Toon Zone and elsewhere) seemingly know the answer to that...

Falling Stars: "JEM" Movie Soundtrack Listing

Here's a link to Aubrey Peeples & Todrick promoting "JEM".

https://twitter.com/MTVMania_/status/654708245953548288

Universal Pictures, School Boy Records and Republic Records announce the Jem and the Holograms Official Soundtrack Album will be available at all digital retailers on Friday, October 23, 2015. The musical adventure directed by Jon M. Chu and starring Aubrey Peeples, Stefanie Scott, Aurora Perrineau, Hayley Kiyoko, Ryan Guzman, Molly Ringwald, and Juliette Lewis arrives in theaters on the same day.

The 13-track album features seven new songs performed by the film’s title group—Jem and the Holograms. The album’s first single “Youngblood,” is a collaboration between pop superstar Hilary Duff and Jem and the Holograms.

In addition to music from Hailee Steinfeld, Dawin, Marian Hill, and Ida Marie, Kiyoko contributes the undeniable and unshakable “Movie Star.” It’s a musical ride worthy of the big screen. The full tracklisting is unveiled below.

Tracklisting:
1. Hilary Duff and Jem & The Holograms – Youngblood
2. Jem & The Holograms – Hit Me Up
3. Jem & The Holograms – Alone Together
4. Ida Maria – Cold Blooded
5. Serebro – Mi Mi Mi
6. Jem & The Holograms and Rio Pacheco – We Got Heart
7. Jem & The Holograms – Youngblood
8. Hailee Steinfeld – Love Myself
9. Hayley Kiyoko – Movie Star
10. Jem & The Holograms – The Way I Was
11. Dawin – Life Of The Party
12. Jem & The Holograms – I’m Still Here
13. Marian Hill – Got It

This soundtrack is digital only no CD release. I see no song by Chosen Wilkins- that complete liar.

http://360magazine.tumblr.com/post/131224612938/jem-and-the-holograms-official-soundtrack-to-be

Generic-a and Rio have breakfast- Rio quotes the JEM theme "Glamour and Glitter, Fashion and Fame".

Just saw a commercial for "JEM" during Ellen.

CRYwy_lVAAEd2mY.jpg

Last edited:

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
Falling Stars: "JEM" Movie Soundtrack Listing

Tracklisting:
1. Hilary Duff and Jem & The Holograms – Youngblood
2. Jem & The Holograms – Hit Me Up
3. Jem & The Holograms – Alone Together
4. Ida Maria – Cold Blooded
5. Serebro – Mi Mi Mi
6. Jem & The Holograms and Rio Pacheco – We Got Heart
7. Jem & The Holograms – Youngblood
8. Hailee Steinfeld – Love Myself
9. Hayley Kiyoko – Movie Star
10. Jem & The Holograms – The Way I Was
11. Dawin – Life Of The Party
12. Jem & The Holograms – I’m Still Here
13. Marian Hill – Got It

What is missing here? I can tell right away two very important words are missing from the titles: "truly" and "outrageous." The fact none of the song titles reference "truly outrageous" in any manner will not be lost on fans of the animated series as the movie approaches. Also, I'm surprised Hilary Duff is featured on the album. And of course, no songs by The Misfits or The Stingers. It is so disappointing that this will be the officially released music by Hasbro under the group name "Jem and the Holograms" and not the original Kinder and Bryant 1980s animated series tunes that IIRC never had a release outside of those doll cassettes.

Generic-a and Rio have breakfast- Rio quotes the JEM theme "Glamour and Glitter, Fashion and Fame".

That is not going to make Jem cartoon fans happy at all. They use part of the theme song for dialogue, and almost nothing else from the show.

Last edited:

zoombie

Well the question I have with Rio, well there be any plant kicking, I mean come on that is signature thing.

"JEM" Movie Interview & Issues With "JEM Movie

I don't necessairly agree with everything here. But.....

CRimP_XUwAAcHR4.jpg

What happened to the song Juliette Lewis was supposed to write for the soundtrack? Maybe it appears in the movie, but not on the soundtrack album.

Aubrey Peeples interview.

http://wwd.com/eye/people/aubrey-peeples-jem-holograms-film-10260490/

Box office mojo has "JEM" opening on 2,200 screens.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/

AXS TV is a cable channel that airs stuff like The X Factor UK and The Big Interview with Dan Rather. They also have another show called "Nothing But Trailers"- I've been watching it to see if it would show "JEM" but it hadn't in all this time.......... until today. Where the first trailer was the first "JEM" trailer. Also "JEM" sposonored the premiere of the CW's "Crazy Ex-Girlfrfiend". There was a commercial for "JEM" during "Jane The Virgin" too.

Last edited:

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
So, tonight is the USC screening that is supposed to have Jon M. Chu answering questions. Remember this Youtube video, and look at the comments for it now. Also, the Universal Pictures Australia trailer that has a 1:5 ratio for positive to negative reaction. This was already mentioned earlier in this thread, but since it is now less than a week before release, it is worth repeating Scooter Braun's comments to The Hollywood Reporter from almost exactly a year ago, where he said he was "blown away" by the Jem movie. It's hard to think that the audience will share the same enthusiasm at this point, isn't it?

zoombie

Well as far as Hasbro girl movies in 2015 goes, I doubt this feature full length movie will be half as entertaining half as good as My Little Pony Equestria Girls: Friendship Games a tv / direct to video movie that wasn't released in theaters, heck the music isn't going to be as good, it has got its work cut out for them to top "Unleash The Magic" and "Right Here In Front Of Me"

Last edited:

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
Okay, so someone on Twitter has seen the movie, and things have changed so much from the way Starlight Music was run in the cartoon. And without the cartoon fans, I think Universal has just been hoping anybody will watch the Jem movie this weekend from their final weeks of ads, and largely failing to convince people to do so.

I'm reminded of that Creature parody video of this movie "Jem reacts" (warning: some language) that says, "they totally missed the point," and based upon the description of Starlight Music, many Jem cartoon fans share the same sentiment. At least the Creature video had Eric Raymond in it, and the actor did a great job in that Youtube video for that role too.

Tonight Is the Premiere Of The "JEM" Movie

The Todrick video was a complete bait and switch. We were led to believe the entire episode was to be about "JEM" and instead it was nothing more than a glorified commercial.

CRy7wLEVEAEKB5e.jpg

CRy8xOEVEAAm-sV.jpg

The crowds.... security is doing a great job holding them back.

CRy8RRLWUAAIOKh.jpg

Pictures from the premiere.

The realest reaction to the "JEM" movie.

https://twitter.com/hovahboss/status/656578200215142400

Interview with the cast and director from Clevver.

30 second clip of Hiliary Duff version of "Youngblood".

Just saw a commercial for "JEM" during "Toy Story Of Terror".

Last edited:

More Articles/Criticisms About "JEM"

"Why JEM and the Holograms Is Insulting To Black Girls"

http://www.refinery29.com/2015/10/95337/black-actresses-casting-jem-and-the-holograms#.9s9hgz:K2SV

How Well Do You Know JEM?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/viktortk/ho...m-cartoon-m2eg?utm_term=.eu6NnYaEM#.tn8n9vb0B

Pro Box Office's Prediction for "JEM".

Opening Weekend: $3,800,000 [pred.] |Total Domestic Gross: $9,000,000 [pred.]

http://pro.boxoffice.com/statistics/movies/jem-and-the-holograms-2015?q=jem and the holograms

Full version of Hiliary Duff's "Youngblood". IMO, you can't tell difference between the 2.

http://www.z90.com/music/hilary-duff-youngblood/

Jade Novah fan cover of "Youngblood".

E! News story.

http://www.eonline.com/news/708775/...tm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

MTV News story.

http://www.eonline.com/news/708775/...tm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

Entertainment Weekly exclusive scene.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/2...e?hootPostID=1b368d38857081d43c813121f43958f8

zoombie

I hear this movie run time is 2 hours, 2 hours are you freaking kidding me. An angst teen drama should not be 2 hours, most Disney Channel movies are 90 minutes without commercials, 104 minutes at most.

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
I hear this movie run time is 2 hours, 2 hours are you freaking kidding me. An angst teen drama should not be 2 hours, most Disney Channel movies are 90 minutes without commercials, 104 minutes at most.

I agree that is far too long, and IIRC, the recent Fantastic Four had the audience complaining it dragged on and on. I think there will be a similar reaction here.

Reviews are now coming in: here is one from Forbes, one from The Hollywood Reporter, and one from A.V. Club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I watched the first episode of Yuru Camp this morning on a whim, though I did have slight influence from a Twitter friend who really likes it. Can't believe I waited until now to give it a shot, because I really enjoyed it.
I've said this before, but the Ignore button is a life saver.
Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.

Featured Posts