International Disney Networks Thread Part 10

MagiaDiWinx

The First Christmas without proper ChriStmas presentation all over EMEA!

EDIT: sorry, 2004 had it, not 2003 though
I also noticed a bunch of watermark errors where it came in late.

Hverdage/r/Vardager = Weekdays (from before the MTOFLS banners were used)

The Pippi’s hair thing is just a form for promotion for the show.

More, from Christmas:
How do I edit quotes into posts? Anyways, did DC Scandinavia have the same schedule every day except weekends initially?

Francisque

@MagiaDiWinx I don't think so

Even in the Scandinavian promos themselves, a distinction was made in weekdays (e.g. "hverdag") and the rest
Plus, how it could have not been done?

The viewing habits between weekend and weekdays are different; plus, I remember reading about these differences

Other observations: Playhouse Disney on DC Scandinavia back then was just a more "toddler" classic show block, probably because everything back then in 2003, at launch, was catered towards more classic Disney products
Even Kim Possible, a more non-classic newer Disney show, had been put at 8pm! They obviously had wanted to be safe

But already towards 2004, one can see more on going, with newer products popping up at more normal times, and this would only be the beginning of the "newer DC", including a multichannel approach with the launch of Toon Disney and Playhouse Disney

Graphically, 2003 (as opposed to the Christmas 2004 video) had a more "coherent" approach with Next bumpers and Now bumpers; but Now bumpers would be removed already in 2004

In 2003, at launch, for some reasons EMEA decided that "normal" Next bumpers and the likes should be "bumper"+clip of the show+final part of the bumper

And so it was on DC Italy, but on DC Scandinavia and DC Germany it was for Now bumpers instead
This practice wouldn't last long, already part of history in 2005 I believe

Markus Nelis

Looks like there will be some pretty big schedule changes for DC Scandinavia in June. I don't have the show data but the schedule site said this with each timeslot:
"Coming soon. There is no specific program yet, it is waiting to be determined by the channel that will broadcast it."

I think it's a cool feature that people don't need to start worrying when the schedule is not out yet. I do see a change because it wasn't like that when I've always seen a schedule two weeks in advance.

Rrr

In 2003, at launch, for some reasons EMEA decided that "normal" Next bumpers and the likes should be "bumper"+clip of the show+final part of the bumper

And so it was on DC Italy, but on DC Scandinavia and DC Germany it was for Now bumpers instead

Interesting, I didn’t know that! :eek:

But indeed, as you say, this feature was removed quickly (in the Christmas 2004 video it is there no longer)

Francisque

Interesting, I didn’t know that! :eek:

But indeed, as you say, this feature was removed quickly (in the Christmas 2004 video it is there no longer)
Indeed :D
That was a bit odd for me; but as for DC Italy, you'd often not get that, as most often, Next bumpers were "three upcoming shows next bumpers" in 2003
On DC UK it was especially odd: as the feature with the embedded clip of the show inside of the bumper was on the "We'll be back/Welcome back" bumpers on the internal breaks (which didn't make much sense, since DC UK didn't air back then normal advertising)
But later, in 2006 I believe, they removed the WBB/WB bumpers altogether, as well as the Now ones!

Same as the half-silhouette first half of the promo endboards; they'd quickly switch in around 2005 and often even before that, to the sequence promo + straight to the final part of the endboard, if you know what I mean

Artan1528

They will premiere Monsters At Work season 2 in Scandinavia on Monday June 3rd

Markus Nelis

Disney Channel Scandinavia new schedule starting June 3!

06:00 Mickey Mouse Funhouse
06:25 SuperKitties
07:10 Bluey
08:05 Mickey Mouse Funhouse
08:50 SuperKitties
09:35 Spidey and Friends
10:30 Firebuds
11:15 Mickey Mouse Funhouse
12:00 Bluey
13:00 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir
13:45 Big City Greens
14:30 Firebuds
15:10 Monsters at Work
15:35 Kiff
15:55 Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur
16:20 Hamster & Gretel
17:20 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir
18:05 Mickey Mouse Funhouse
18:35 Spidey and Friends
18:55 Bluey
19:45 Big City Greens
20:40 Monsters at Work
21:00 The Villains of Valley View
21:25 Bunk'd
21:50 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir
22:35 Big City Greens
23:30 Kiff
00:15 Hamster & Gretel
01:00 Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir
01:40 SuperKitties
02:30 Star Wars: Young Jedi Adventures
03:15 Spidey and Friends
04:05 Firebuds
04:55 Mickey Mouse Funhouse

Live-action airtime reducing even further. We go from 1.5 hours to just 50 minutes. Also Kiff on daytime.

PerkyStella

DC Asia and Australia use this practice, too, throughout the Bounce era.
One interesting quirk about those is that the full bumper music tracks are rarely (if not never) heard in the NEXT bumpers; only the tail end plays in each bumper.

DC Japan is another story, as they would alternate between that format and the standard US format of airing the bumpers as is.

Last edited:

Moleoman

MagiaDiWinx

@MagiaDiWinx I don't think so

Even in the Scandinavian promos themselves, a distinction was made in weekdays (e.g. "hverdag") and the rest
Plus, how it could have not been done?

The viewing habits between weekend and weekdays are different; plus, I remember reading about these differences

Other observations: Playhouse Disney on DC Scandinavia back then was just a more "toddler" classic show block, probably because everything back then in 2003, at launch, was catered towards more classic Disney products
Even Kim Possible, a more non-classic newer Disney show, had been put at 8pm! They obviously had wanted to be safe

But already towards 2004, one can see more on going, with newer products popping up at more normal times, and this would only be the beginning of the "newer DC", including a multichannel approach with the launch of Toon Disney and Playhouse Disney

Graphically, 2003 (as opposed to the Christmas 2004 video) had a more "coherent" approach with Next bumpers and Now bumpers; but Now bumpers would be removed already in 2004

I said EXCEPT weekends, so I’ll repeat. Did DC Scandinavia use to have the same schedule every weekday?

I find the now bumpers really weird with the way the music cuts, and like you said, the UK’s unnecessary internal breaks. Though Disney consumer products was counted as commercials.

Moleoman

Did DC Scandinavia use to have the same schedule every weekday?
Of course, DC Scandinavia always had separate weekday (on Fridays the only difference was WWOD showing at 20:00 CET) and weekends:
Schedules for Disney Channel Scandinavia (Norway) (one of the few pre-2005 times when the schedule exceeded past 22:00 CET)

Reactions: Rrr

Francisque

Interesting that DC Japan follows the US style of having many ad breaks during a show. Yes I recorded this myself.
i'm not surprised

Many things on Japanese TV seem influenced by American TV
I just think Japanese TV import these things because they don't know much better, and because US = western countries

I just don't get how you can run 3 breaks inside of a 22 mins long show!

Japanese TV has tight limits for advertising even compared to Europe in terms of minutage (up to 6 mins or something per hour), but the usage itself is verging towards American-like frequency; plus the breaks are overfilled with "fillers" to round programmes up to 30-60 mins and so on

I said EXCEPT weekends, so I’ll repeat. Did DC Scandinavia use to have the same schedule every weekday?

I find the now bumpers really weird with the way the music cuts, and like you said, the UK’s unnecessary internal breaks. Though Disney consumer products was counted as commercials.
Sorry, my bad
And yes, Fridays are typically the main exceptions, as Moleomen mentioned :)

I find it odd they close down at 10pm, but then it didn't take much to go round the clock, while DC UK took an excessive amount of time at that; shutdown at midnight, especially at New Year's Eve, doesn't make much sense :D

-

@Moleoman apparently initially DC US used them too?

Last edited:

Rrr

Here some early (I assume; I didn’t watch the whole video but it must have been early on quickly looking at the promos) Toon Disney Scandinavia continuties:

PerkyStella

Here some early (I assume; I didn’t watch the whole video but it must have been early on quickly looking at the promos) Toon Disney Scandinavia continuities
These are most likely from 2005, if the cross-promo of The Buzz on Maggie was any indication.
On DC UK it was especially odd: as the feature with the embedded clip of the show inside of the bumper was on the "We'll be back/Welcome back" bumpers on the internal breaks
This has got to be the weirdest implementation of break bumpers in a Bounce-era DCI network, as these played on for way longer compared to, say, the Circles-era ones.

Francisque

Indeed, also the cross-promotion bumpers, which were used at the time; so indeed early on in the channels lifetime
Yep!

These cross promotion graphics were also used on DC UK and were part of Bounce 2.0, created mostly for EMEA and APAC.
On DC UK, as some videos testify, there was a menu on DC UK saying what you could watch on DC, DC+1 and Toon, avoiding Playhouse, because felt to be out of touch with the audience

Interesting that TD Scandinavia tweaked the photo booth ident and put different characters on it as kind of Now bumpers

So boring though: TD had a proper interesting package of idents back then, they could've used them instead of the same one all the time

MagiaDiWinx

Yep!

These cross promotion graphics were also used on DC UK and were part of Bounce 2.0, created mostly for EMEA and APAC.
On DC UK, as some videos testify, there was a menu on DC UK saying what you could watch on DC, DC+1 and Toon, avoiding Playhouse, because felt to be out of touch with the audience
Do you have a picture of that menu? Scandinavia/MEA/PL/TR was using the cross-promo graphics well into 2009 but I think they got rid of it when XD started.

Francisque

Do you have a picture of that menu? Scandinavia/MEA/PL/TR was using the cross-promo graphics well into 2009 but I think they got rid of it when XD started.
Surely not PL/TR? It took time for TD and PD to launch there

Anyway, yes, surely : )
Not just pictures but the videos

0:03, 0:22

As "next" bumpers; I also believe, but I'm not sure, they had a 3-show menu instead of Now bumpers here and there

When cross promoting other Disney channels promo endings indicating the other EPG positions were used, as you could see in the promo

But later like 2006, they were more wisely changed to inscriptions at the endboard, as with most other channels

Moleoman

Surely not PL/TR? It took time for TD and PD to launch there
Poland and Turkey didn't have Playhouse Disney until 2010 when it replaced Jetix Play (and both countries never had Toon Disney at all), therefore this bumper went unused on DC MEA/PL/TR.

I remember that when in 2009, the feed started cross-promoting some Jetix shows (as evidenced by lack of on-screen bug in the video below) there was no special bumper before or after these promos:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's adult animation category ballot for Emmy Awards 2024. I'm hoping that Praise Petey will get in the final line-up.

I don't know where to post this...
but Alvin and the Chipmunks movie is in development of Disney.

I guess Nick is officially done with this franchise for now.
Happy 20th Birthday to the Cartoon Network City Era!

Watching this clip from the Princess Power special "Princess Royal Wedding", where Queen Ryung & Queen Olivia get married, makes me glad that the show was picked up by a streaming service. If it was picked up by the Junior 3 (Disney Jr, Nick Jr , & PBS Kids), an episode like this either wouldn't be made or if it,would come when the show was went to a less available channel

Featured Posts