General International TV Channels Thread

Francisque

English-only channels never lasted that long on Sky Italia. After BBC Prime, we got Extreme Sports, but I think was kinda shortlived. And we can't forget of GINX Esports TV. Actually, that one lasted way longer than you could expect (three years). It would be fun if Sky added as an easter egg/exclusive channel to Sky Stream when it launches in Italy... Rest assured that Ginx makes to that.
BBC Prime was subtitled for some time, but yeah, Italians never got used to subtitling

Plus, I believe they had to be set up by pressing the Info button on your receiver; but this option was poorly advertised
It felt into despair and one day in 2010 BBC Entertainment was just removed from the EPG, with no notice

Maybe had they put the subtitles. stuck on screen (maybe they did, I don't remember),, plus had the channel been better advertised elsewhere, the channel would've stood a chance... maybe

Reactions: J10

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I remember very well the BBC Prime channel during 2004-5; when the channel was added to Sky Italia for some time
I remember the colourful idents and so on

With BBC Entertainment, ambitions were to launch an array of different channels EVERYWHERE, but they didn't
So, I think BBC Prime was a much better name... plus, "Entertainment" sounds clumsy and long

And Prime sounds the perfect name for a channel to showcase a mixture of ALL your offer, Entertainment less
Same here. Revisiting this packages caused me to be hit by a 600 pound (lb) nostalgia train. When BBC Entertainment came they found out the jig was up and wanted to narrow down the offer further.

I vividly remember the pre-recorded links from the CBBC studio and seeing some shows I watched on CBeebies on another provider, as well as that 50/50 game show. The fact that they had to start CBeebies as an international brand was because the amount of content from the former outnumbered that of the latter, and became fit for export. And probably because of that you can see that CBeebies has changed trends and no longer mass produces live-action puppet shows. (Seriously, I think it's my nostalgia factor, but CBeebies' first generation of shows was amazing, not only the pre-2002 shows like Teletubbies and Tweenies, but also the new commissions like Tikkabilla, Storymakers, Bits and Bobs, Balamory... and the list goes on and on and on... I think these were the first preschool shows I liked even though I was getting out of the age range. Every now and then I can hear the Balamory and Bits and Bobs theme song in that glorious Scottish accent in my head)

i was fascinated at 14 years old by British TV presentation styles, I think these idents looked very very slick; it was a purely British TV channel, and interesting at that, before being cheapened

I wasn't a huge fan of the blocky style used since 2005 (?)/ 2006, at that time, it just felt like a downgrade

Later on, the channel was dropped by Sky Italia (or the BBC) for low ratings in 2010 (but before then I had lost interest), so I hadn't been able to catch it for long

Obviously, many British traits of the channel but even on other BBC channels all around Europe (mostly announcements) such as BBC Brit Poland and so on, have long gone
Same here (I was 7 when I accidentally discovered TV & Radio Bits and TVARK), too much Anglophilia at such a young age before I was aware of YouTube lol, the channel felt like a truly British experience. Though I lost interest over time even after the blocky rebrand came (in 2006)

By the time of that look the pre-recorded announcements were removed from the channel, I remember that clearly. Idents ran for at least 10 seconds (at least after the BBC Prime logo was revealed in the bumpers) in 2009, months before the rename.

BlooCNBoy02

I'm blue. A nostalgic CN fan.
Two different POVs of BBC Entertainment being closed on MEO. In the latter, it survived longer. I think it was a 6-hour-long promo loop until the closure? Also, the closedown slide uses the 2006 logo.

Is there a video of the OFFICIAL closure?

Insidus

1Max is scheduled to replace 1Magic and Me on DStv which is based on the Showmax streaming service

Attachments

• 1711966663078.jpg
    1711966663078.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 27

J10

SBS9 will become Viaplay TV

Talpa closes a deal with streaming service Viaplay. Formula 1 will be broadcast on SBS9 from April 5. For now, it's about one race that's broadcast for free and with a six-hour delay. More races will be broadcast on the open net next year, according to Talpa, that programming will be announced later. The TV channel will be renamed Viaplay TV.

Francisque

And when channels shut down in Europe - happens a lot in the digital age - they don't do the least amount of efforts to thank the viewers.
To be fair Paramount Network Italy somehow did lol

But why they should care SO MUCH about the viewer in a cheesy manner? At least I see it that way
Especially for smaller channels, I mean

They do not care about "you" so much

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
To be fair Paramount Network Italy somehow did lol

But why they should care SO MUCH about the viewer in a cheesy manner? At least I see it that way
Especially for smaller channels, I mean

They do not care about "you" so much
I mean this would be more expected if you were a larger and more established terrestrial channel, ABS-CBN, Channel i Singapore, some ITV companies come to mind, if you know what I mean.

If channels did care about their viewers at closing time, they would simply complain about not having enough viewers for two hours :p

canyuksel97

Also, A Few Days Ago RTP Celebrated 20th Anniversary For The Move Their Facilities
From Former HQ Near The 25th April Bridge To Marechal Gomes Da Costa Avenue In Lisbon.

With Their Move, All RTP Channels And RDP Radio Stations Was Rebranded On The 31st Of March 2004.
The First Broadcast From The New Building Was The 8pm Main Edition Of Telejornal.

BTW: At The Beginning Of The Video The Building On The Marechal Gomes Da Costa Avenue Left Abandoned
Until RTP Bought Their Property And Completely Renovated For TV And Radio Studios.

In Addition At The End, Both Radiotelevisão Portuguesa And Radiodifusão Portuguesa Are Merged
To Create A New Company On A New Building Called ''Rádio e Televisão de Portugal''.

Last edited:

RONTV

Prima Food & Travel and a Romanian version of Film Mania has been launched 2 days ago.

Prima Food & Travel:

Film Mania (Romania):

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
The source of the EMEA feed of BabyTV was one of the recent targets of Russian hackers and even reached Portugal.

The channel was broadcasting a Russian propaganda music video on Thursday morning at close to 11:30am WET.

These hackers also invaded Viasat Ukraine on March 12, taking down five channels from the EPG until the situation was solved.

The music video seen on BabyTV carried a bug saying "ZА ЖИЗНЬ" ("FOR LIFE" - the Z here was romanized in reference to the Russian symbol), which makes me believe it was a playlist playing the song on loop.

FreeDOM was hacked on March 16, likely with the same video as BabyTV. Broadband TV News reported a few days later, saying that not only FreeDOM, but other Ukrainian channels on the same satellite multiplex were affected.

Reminder, the whole BabyTV affair happened to ALL OF EUROPE, and the feed providers like NOS use to downlink its signal is in the same satellite as the other affected channels.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's adult animation category ballot for Emmy Awards 2024. I'm hoping that Praise Petey will get in the final line-up.

I don't know where to post this...
but Alvin and the Chipmunks movie is in development of Disney.

I guess Nick is officially done with this franchise for now.
Happy 20th Birthday to the Cartoon Network City Era!

Watching this clip from the Princess Power special "Princess Royal Wedding", where Queen Ryung & Queen Olivia get married, makes me glad that the show was picked up by a streaming service. If it was picked up by the Junior 3 (Disney Jr, Nick Jr , & PBS Kids), an episode like this either wouldn't be made or if it,would come when the show was went to a less available channel

Featured Posts