"Dumb Patrol"

Tintin

On the cartoon "Dumb Patrol" (1964), the cartoon were reference to the first wartime of France vs. German in 1917. Aired yesterday night on Teletoon, Yosemite Sam speak really with a german accent. That's cool were CN were not banned this cartoon because for German stereotypes accents. I am not say where the 1931's Bosko cartoon with the same title were the same choose with the Bugs and Sam cartoon :D

lislebartman

"Cement? Fill the holes?"
Excuse me, but where in the cartoon does Sam speak with a German accent? He says the words "schnapps" and "Fraulien" but never in the cartoon does he have an accent...I have this cartoon on video and have seen it for many many years...

Pilmedium, there really is no need to scold others who start threads here on the TTTP. Since there is nothing 'offensive' about the cartoon, your reply is moot...if fact, I find your reply to Martin offensive.

We have 3 moderators on this board and until you are officially made the 4th one, please stop acting as though you are one...

David Gerstein

Just a Humble, Bumbling Duck
I am hesitant to get in a flamewar, but Lislebartman, I don't think Pilmedium was acting out of line at all.
Martin more or less said (apologies for bringing you into it again, Martin) "it's surprising that CN has not banned this cartoon, because it contains something stereotypical."
I don't think it matters whether there really is something offensive about the cartoon or not. It appears that censors watch the TTTP board looking for any "hot tip" they can find. If we imply that a cartoon is offensive (regardless of whether it really is) and nothing's been done about it yet, that cartoon is in trouble.

rodney

one lucky duck
I'm with David on this one. 99% of edits that CN makes are stupid and aren't things that are really offensive, yet they're still made.

I'm not fond of the idea of being told what to say and what not to say, but I can see the wisdom in this.

lislebartman

If that is the case, David, then the board moderators should be the ones to say something, and not some 14-yr. old who just happens to spend more time on the computer than the rest of us, don't you agree?

Daniel P

Originally posted by lislebartman
If that is the case, David, then the board moderators should be the ones to say something, and not some 14-yr. old who just happens to spend more time on the computer than the rest of us, don't you agree?
I don't think someone needs to be insulted because they warn someone not to encourage censoring.

Jon Cooke

GAC!

I didn't see anything wrong or insulting about Pilmedium's reponse either. He was simply stating what is in the bold, red text on the top of this very board. I don't think he needed to be put down because of it.

I also deleted "Boy Wonder"'s reply to this thread (the one with the listing of possible reasons why CN could censor the short). Come on fellas, if you feel the need to talk about things like this... do it through e-mail or Private Messages.

-Jon

lislebartman

Thank you, Mr. Moderator...

While it is not my nature to be nasty, sometimes it is necessary to get a point across...

NOw, can't we all just get along...? (famous last words) :p

Tintin

Originally posted by Jon Cooke
I didn't see anything wrong or insulting about Pilmedium's reponse either. He was simply stating what is in the bold, red text on the top of this very board. I don't think he needed to be put down because of it.

I also deleted "Boy Wonder"'s reply to this thread (the one with the listing of possible reasons why CN could censor the short). Come on fellas, if you feel the need to talk about things like this... do it through e-mail or Private Messages.

-Jon

Sorry fellows. I want no search the trouble... :(

Tintin

Martin:

You didn't cause any trouble, my friend... :D

There is just someone here who felt the need to overstep their bounds...

Oh, Thanks! :)

Pilmedium

sometimes it is necessary to get a point across...

The points I understood:
1) It is okay to flame people as long as they are not moderators.
2) I do not have the right to correct someone else, yet you have the right to correct me.
This makes no sense. :confused:

Daniel P

Originally posted by Pilmedium
I do not have the right to correct someone else, yet you have the right to correct me.
Yeah, Lisle isn't a mod either. Since none of us except Jon, Matthew, and Jack are mods, I guess none of us are aloud to correct each other. So basically all posts in this thread except Martin's first one are pointless, with that logic.

song cycle

Originally posted by David Gerstein
It appears that censors watch the TTTP board looking for any "hot tip" they can find.

"Censors tend to do what only psychotics do... they confuse reality with illusion." -David Cronenberg

Hi 'censors'!

:bosko:

Matthew Hunter

Super Genius
Boy, this one went down the commode in a hurry. Chill out! Jon and Pilmedium are just following the board rules, and Jon is the boss, if he says something, end of discussion. You don't have to get upset at each other over something this trivial. Pilmedium, you have every right to correct someone if they flame you, and if they don't back off it is the moderator's job to step in and quell it. If you have a problem, send each other some private messages or emails and air it out. I'm a moderator too, and I second Jon on the censoring thing. We don't need to give the cartoon axers ideas, bad cartoon or not. What we don't want to do is have to discuss this after they DO censor something that we mentioned. Use, ah say, use the pm button, son! That's why it's here!

As for the cartoon itself, I don't really remember Yosemite Sam actually sounding German. To tell you the truth I try to avoid that one, so I haven't taken the time to analyze it. Clever cartoon, but it just seems to have been made at the wrong time...had the music been less harsh and creepy and the animation a little less sloppy, this could have been a pretty good little cartoon. 1964 as a year in general just wasn't a very good time for the WB cartoons. Before and after they were tolerable, but some really sub-par stuff came out that year. "False Hare", the last Bugs cartoon, really wasn't much to write home to mama about either.

-Matthew

J Lee

Sam really isn't any more German here than he was as the Hessian 14 years earlier in "Bunker Hill Bunny" or as the mountain climber in "Piker's Peak" (OK, I think he's supposed to be Austrian here, but they speak German, too).

As for the cartoon itself, it's your basic 1964 WB toon -- a decent story idea that unfortunately doesn't flow very well, with gags that could have been done much better with higher budgets a few years earlier. The most notable thing to me was always the airplane design gags they came up with for Sam seemed to have been where Hanna-Barbera got their basic idea for "Dasterdly and Mutley in their Flying Machines" five years later (and as Martha Stewart might say, "This is not a good thing.").

J Lee

I thought the characters were put to good use in "Wacky Races" but the following year's "D&M" took the weird airplane design idea from "Dumb Patrol" and combined it with Chuck Jones' Road Runner series (mixed together with the wholly-unappealing secondary characters Hanna-Barbera would become experts at creating in the 1970s) and you had a formulistic mess.

They would have been better off jumping Paul Winchell's voice and character straight from "Wacky Races" to "The Smurfs," but that was still 12 years down the line.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?
Twitter remains super toxic, I do not recommend spending more time on there than you have to. I have friends on there, but meh.
Today marks the 25th Year Anniversary of when the Original Game of the Super Smash Bros. Franchise was released in North America. It's quite surreal to see how far Nintendo's All-Star Battle Royale Franchise has come since its early days.
I watched the first episode of Yuru Camp this morning on a whim, though I did have slight influence from a Twitter friend who really likes it. Can't believe I waited until now to give it a shot, because I really enjoyed it.
I've said this before, but the Ignore button is a life saver.

Featured Posts