"DuckTales" (2017) Series Talkback (Spoilers)

bat313

I always Poe was her dad, who in this version is more of a prisoner than a sidekick. But we will see.

I am hoping for SDCC we get an announcement / confirmation maybe even character design that Daisy is going to be on the show in season 2. Maybe I am setting myself up for disappointment.

That's right, I forgot about Poe. I wonder if they have something planned with him. And I am also hoping for an appearance by Daisy.

zoombie

Someone online put up a couple of chapters of the Carl Barks comic online. Anyway this tells the story of Della, and OMG.

It appeared she was lost in space and presumed dead, she just traveled though time kind of, and only 15 minutes have gone by as far as she knows. She is still space, but she is alive.

Not saying the show will do that, but still something to think about.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Someone online put up a couple of chapters of the Carl Barks comic online. Anyway this tells the story of Della, and OMG.

It appeared she was lost in space and presumed dead, she just traveled though time kind of, and only 15 minutes have gone by as far as she knows. She is still space, but she is alive.

Not saying the show will do that, but still something to think about.
That's not a Carl Barks comic.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
If not him than Don Rosa?
Nope. Don Rosa only used her once in a flashback when she was a child. And all of his comics were set in 1952 so he didn't do too much space stuff. It was probably a European writer / artist. And none of those comics are considered canon. I don't see the new show following them.

Although to be blunt, I wouldn't be shocked if the European characters of Brigitta McBride, John Rockerduck (who was popularized in Europe but created by Barks) or Donald's cousin Fethry showed up. This iteration of the Duckverse seems keen to explore all aspects of the material, so I would think that would include European characters, if not European stories.

I'm also curious if and how they would handle William Van Horn's character of Uncle Rumpus. Van Horn's comics are ALSO technically considered canon (and he, Barks, and Rosa are the only writers who get that label) but his entire output contradicts Rosa's. It's generally considered that at far as personal canons go, Barks is the top tier and it's up to the reader to decide if they prefer Rosa or Van Horn. And this show is clearly Team Rosa. But I cannot really picture a show this dedicated to the Disney Comics and cartoons never using a Van Horn character or plot. It would feel incomplete without a tribute to him.

Radical

Banned
Who Is Gizmoduck? was pretty sweet/enjoyable,

Donald Duck, great/funny, he'll get his major role soon.
Cool seeing the Beagle Boys Bigtime/Burger/Bouncer, nice Mighty Ducks reference on Bouncer, hehehe.
Cool seeing Fenton/Gizmoduck, awesome/likable.
Love Officer Cabrera/Ma Crackshell, best mother ever, her hot new design and being a police officer is awesome:D.
Huey admiring Gizmoduck and his heroic character was sweet.
Reboot Gyro more unlikable/awful on his gross behavior, so dislike him:mad:, I hope for Fenton or anybody else to roast him further episodes.
Love Mark Beaks, cool that he bees villainous and a big threat obtaining the Gizmoduck suit:D.
Mark Beaks knowing Gizmoduck's identity and having a gizmo controlling Gizmoduck was a sweet evil plan.
The Sailor Moon transformation on Mark Beaks was epic/funny, hahahahahahaha.
Gizmo-Mark Beaks is so cool.
Fenton/Gizmoduck saving the day was sweet.
Scrooge hiring Fenton/Gizmoduck was awesome, nice that he gets a cool new job, yaaaaaaay:D.

Cool to see Don Karnage and the Air Pirates, best classic villain guest appearances ever next to the Darkwing Duck villains and Dr. Blight(OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes), his new voice will be epic.

So loving the epic DuckTales 2017 reboot more better than the classic original DuckTales:D.

Last edited:

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Nope. Don Rosa only used her once in a flashback when she was a child. And all of his comics were set in 1952 so he didn't do too much space stuff. It was probably a European writer / artist. And none of those comics are considered canon. I don't see the new show following them.

Although to be blunt, I wouldn't be shocked if the European characters of Brigitta McBride, John Rockerduck (who was popularized in Europe but created by Barks) or Donald's cousin Fethry showed up. This iteration of the Duckverse seems keen to explore all aspects of the material, so I would think that would include European characters, if not European stories.

I'm also curious if and how they would handle William Van Horn's character of Uncle Rumpus. Van Horn's comics are ALSO technically considered canon (and he, Barks, and Rosa are the only writers who get that label) but his entire output contradicts Rosa's. It's generally considered that at far as personal canons go, Barks is the top tier and it's up to the reader to decide if they prefer Rosa or Van Horn. And this show is clearly Team Rosa. But I cannot really picture a show this dedicated to the Disney Comics and cartoons never using a Van Horn character or plot. It would feel incomplete without a tribute to him.

I doubt John Rockerduck will show up, I think his role of a modern business man compared the old money of Scrooge and Glomgold is taken by Mark Beaks. I think at this point Rockerduck would seem as old fashion as Glomgold and Scrooge, which takes away a big part of the character's purpose.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I doubt John Rockerduck will show up, I think his role of a modern business man compared the old money of Scrooge and Glomgold is taken by Mark Beaks. I think at this point Rockerduck would seem as old fashion as Glomgold and Scrooge, which takes away a big part of the character's purpose.
You're probably right. But he IS an important character in Europe.

ShadowBeast

Eldorado

Yeah, not a fan of the new Don Karnage voice (If they could get the original voice-actor to play Darkwing Duck, then they could get the original voice-actor to play Don Karnage). The trailer looks good though.

I talked to Frank Angones on why they didn't get Jim to play Don Karnage and this is what he said:

"Because we are a globetrotting show, our casting ethos on DuckTales has traditionally been whenever we encounter someone of a different nationality, we try to cast someone who is actually of that nationality (see Toad Liu Hai, Sabaf from Toth-Ra, etc.)

Jim is a damn legend. I hopefully don’t have to point out by now how much I love Jim and his repertoire of characters. He’s incredible in everything he does and you will be seeing A LOT more of him from us in the future. But for this particular role, it seemed like an opportunity to bring a new actor in to play. And if you’ve seen Jaime in anything, you know he is a delight, bringing his own lovable brand of egomaniacal machismo to the role."

ShadowBeast

I talked to Frank Angones on why they didn't get Jim to play Don Karnage and this is what he said:

"Because we are a globetrotting show, our casting ethos on DuckTales has traditionally been whenever we encounter someone of a different nationality, we try to cast someone who is actually of that nationality (see Toad Liu Hai, Sabaf from Toth-Ra, etc.)
Toad Liu Hai and Toth-Ra were original characters though. Don Karnage like Darkwing is a classic. Using Jim would've been a huge treat to those who are fans of the Talespin cartoon. Might as well have not used the character if the PC-nonsense is gonna ruin it.

Jim is a damn legend. I hopefully don’t have to point out by now how much I love Jim and his repertoire of characters. He’s incredible in everything he does and you will be seeing A LOT more of him from us in the future. But for this particular role, it seemed like an opportunity to bring a new actor in to play. And if you’ve seen Jaime in anything, you know he is a delight, bringing his own lovable brand of egomaniacal machismo to the role."
From what I heard of him in that trailer, I'm not impressed.

Eldorado

Toad Liu Hai and Toth-Ra were original characters though. Don Karnage like Darkwing is a classic. Using Jim would've been a huge treat to those who are fans of the Talespin cartoon. Might as well have not used the character if the PC-nonsense is gonna ruin it.

In case you forgot this version of Scrooge is played by a NATURAL Scot. Are you saying you'd rather not have Scrooge McDuck in the series if it meant that? Besides, having Don Karnage opens the possibility of a Talespin crossover.

Korra_Fan

Well, Rockerduck just got revealed at Comic Con in the reveal of Season 2 character artwork. The outfit they're giving him looks like Belloq's from Raiders of the Lost Ark, so it's likely that since Mark Beaks took over his old role, he's being reinvented as Scrooge's evil counterpart as a rich adventurer who is just as competent as he is, which is good since Glomgold clearly isn't cutting it when it comes to being a true challenge to Scrooge.

Also shown in the character artwork is a spoiler for this season's conclusion:

Lena is set free from Magica, and in Season 2 she and Webby get another friend, a female bird (not a duck). I guess they'll serve as the nephews' female counterparts.

Last edited:

zoombie

Well I post my thoughts on the reveals for season 2 in spoilers, but for season 1 trailer I will talk about it now.

I wonder what will happen tomorrow, we see Lena attacking Scrooge, but is that Lena herself, or Magica's possessed Lena? I know she has to help Magica, still can't imagine try to physically attack someone as aggressively and full of rage that we saw in the trailer.

So more Tale Spin references, and Darkwing Duck references. That is all well and good, but I care more about bring Carl Barks and Don Rosa characters into the show, as well Daisy who wasn't created by Barks, still very important to the old comics.

Now as far season 2
Jose and Panchito, yes. My biggest wish was a Daisy confirmation, but this is the next best thing. Something for the old school Donald Duck fan, I got no problem with involving other DA shows in this universe, but I felt they were focusing too much on that and ignoring the classic Donald Duck universe, I am glad they are not doing that. butI still need Daisy on the show, maybe in NYC which I will be at we will get that confirmation, so fingers crossed.

I hope though like on the Legend of The Three Cabralleros, less than informed people called April, May, and June, substitute for Huey, Dewey, and Louie. I hope Jose and Panchito are not labeled Mickey and Goofy substitute, even though that is a different dynamic. Jose and Panchito are Donald's sidekicks, Donald and Goofy are Mickey's sidekicks. It is different.

As for Webby's new gang of fans, I am excited, but at the same time I hope they don't close the door on April, May, and June ever appearing. I wonder who the third girl will be, just a new character or a reference to an old character or related to a character we know? I guess we will see. Still glad to know Lena will be okay. I knew all along she would be fine, but still. Any real excited for season 2.

Last edited:

ShadowBeast

In case you forgot this version of Scrooge is played by a NATURAL Scot. Are you saying you'd rather not have Scrooge McDuck in the series if it meant that?
And in case you forgot, Scrooge's original voice-actor passed away over a year before the new series even premiered. There's also the fact that David Tennant makes an effort to sound like Scrooge McDuck. Jaime makes no effort at all to sound like Don Karnage.

Besides, having Don Karnage opens the possibility of a Talespin crossover.
Considering how they are doing Don Karnage, I would rather not see anymore Talespin characters brought into the series. Though I am curious if they would still have trouble with Louie.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Looking at the Boomerang Imaginary Rebrand pitch really makes me wish that we get this rebrand instead of what we got in 2015.

I was at my local Wal-Mart, and they had merchandise out for the new Garfield movie. There's a plush doll of Baby Garfield that meows, and you have to feed him a piece of lasagna or pizza.
I want to thank both Silverstar and Goldstar for their awesome posts and great presence in this forum. Love ya!
Hey, internet: You all owe Natasha Klein (creator of Primos) an apology. It doesn't matter if you want to watch the show or not. There was no logical reason to unleash that level of vitriol over just a few words, especially before the show has even aired. Now all of y'all line up and tell her you're sorry.

Featured Posts