"DC Showcase (Animated Shorts)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

EmaHalJordan

I hope everyone has learned that you have to buy the Showcase! It was very sad when it was canceled.
I was very excited about a future with short films by Hawkman, Atom (Ray), Dr.Fate, Mr.Miracle, Blue Beetle (Ted Kord) ...
I can not believe we have a second chance! I'm very happy =))))

Frontier

Staff member
Come to think of it, I think this will be the first time Timm's done anything with the Phantom Stranger. He was never in the DCAU aside from the tie-in comics.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Come to think of it, I think this will be the first time Timm's done anything with the Phantom Stranger. He was never in the DCAU aside from the tie-in comics.
Almost did technically. Around Feb. 2006, he did post here saying during JLU production, they weren't allowed to use him or Spectre. The late Mr. McDuffie wanted to use Phantom Stranger in a JLU episode but found out they didn't have the rights. Seems like weird times but back then even Black Lightning, Swamp Thing, Vertigo, and Blue Beetle were also off-limits.

Frontier

Staff member
Almost did technically. Around Feb. 2006, he did post here saying during JLU production, they weren't allowed to use him or Spectre. The late Mr. McDuffie wanted to use Phantom Stranger in a JLU episode but found out they didn't have the rights. Seems like weird times but back then even Black Lightning, Swamp Thing, Vertigo, and Blue Beetle were also off-limits.
DC/WB and their embargoes :p.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I wonder if they would only add the first 4 shorts to DC Universe, and then keep Death in the Family exclusive to DVD/Blu-Ray (presuming there will be a compilation of all the shorts, including this new extended one, as they did the last time). Could be a way to ensure more people would purchase this, I guess.

the greenman

I wonder if they would only add the first 4 shorts to DC Universe, and then keep Death in the Family exclusive to DVD/Blu-Ray (presuming there will be a compilation of all the shorts, including this new extended one, as they did the last time). Could be a way to ensure more people would purchase this, I guess.
One thing to think about, DCUniverse can make "Death in the Family" truly exclusive by only offering it for a limited time; like a week. They made the Nolan trilogy exclusive like that when it first started.

Batboy84

One thing to think about, DCUniverse can make "Death in the Family" truly exclusive by only offering it for a limited time; like a week. They made the Nolan trilogy exclusive like that when it first started.
I could see that. I could also see them release Death in the Family as it's own thing, adding the other shorts as a bonus, and DC Universe not adding any of the shorts until Death in the Family is out, saying that if people want the other shorts early, they have to buy the movies they're attached to.

Batboy84

Me too, man. There's so many stuff coming out that I couldn't care less about (all the Lego stuff, DC Girls, Batman Ninja, etc) that I hate G&M was shelved.
A bit of an unpopular opinion, but I never liked anything related to Gods & Monsters. It felt like an excuse to kill people off left and right without any real consequences. With that being said, yeah pretty much everything you listed I don't care for. I hope the new shorts do well for that reason. The fact that it looks like they won't be using Bourassa's designs for at least one of them alone has me so freaking happy. lol

Frontier

Staff member
A bit of an unpopular opinion, but I never liked anything related to Gods & Monsters. It felt like an excuse to kill people off left and right without any real consequences. With that being said, yeah pretty much everything you listed I don't care for. I hope the new shorts do well for that reason. The fact that it looks like they won't be using Bourassa's designs for at least one of them alone has me so freaking happy. lol
I am kind of glad that we're getting back to more varied styles for these shorts, which it feels like the Animated Feature line hasn't really had in a while :).

the greenman

I could see that. I could also see them release Death in the Family as it's own thing, adding the other shorts as a bonus, and DC Universe not adding any of the shorts until Death in the Family is out, saying that if people want the other shorts early, they have to buy the movies they're attached to.
Did they release a length time for that one?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Did they release a length time for that one?
No. Any info on Death In The Family is being withheld until a later time. Superman/Shazam! was around 25 minutes so maybe in that area.

Just hints and guesses for now for the others. On Twitter, DeMatteis guessed 15 minutes and Liu said they'd be longer than the DC Nation ones. Spectre. Hex, and Green Arrow were around 12 minutes. The Catwoman one was about 15 minutes. Should be about the same.

Last edited:

Blue Sword

I've been interested in Jamie Chung as a DC character but would have gone with Nightshade. Still I look forward to this.

Also, doesn't this make the third actor who's portrayed a Marvel character in live action and voiced a DC character in animation?

Otaku-sempai

I hope if these shorts do well, or if DC has found a new incentive to do Showcase shorts, that they continue to produce more after this current batch :anime:.
I'll second that. A partial wish list: Enemy Ace; The Warlord; 'Mazing Man; The Blue and the Gold (Ted Kord/Blue Beetle and Booster Gold); Batwoman; Black Lightning; Thunder & Lightning (BL's daughters); Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Also, doesn't this make the third actor who's portrayed a Marvel character in live action and voiced a DC character in animation?
Jon Bernthal, Karl Urban...and Michael B. Jordan :confused?
I'll second that. A partial wish list: Enemy Ace; The Warlord; 'Mazing Man; The Blue and the Gold (Ted Kord/Blue Beetle and Booster Gold); Batwoman; Black Lightning; Thunder & Lightning (BL's daughters); Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew.
The sky's the limit :cool:.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

after youtube NickRewind somehow posting LOT Victorious videos, however just today, the short is Nick preschool podcasts. Don't know if it's permanent

Last May 15 posted Dora's new podcast trailer
The daily experience of going on social media: "Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alpha-Bits! It says 'ooooooo'." "Peter, those are Cheerios."
did I just get threatened by breakfast cereal
I’ve come to a realization. With Superman, Unicorn, Checkered Past, and now Invincible Fight Girl, Adult Swim is straying away from their mission of being adult-only animation, one that’s even in their NAME, to get more advertisers.

The exact reason why CN Real existed.
I REALLY HOPE Adult Swim puts an episode of American Dad before Sailor Moon on Toonami Rewind, CN's shows are NOT CAPABLE giving ratings by their sheer popularity.

Featured Posts