Closed Captioning / Subtitles Discussion Thread

Moe

Hi all, this thread is discuss about closed captioning and subtitles, and of course, both for animated and live action contents.

Do you know iTunes/Apple TV app store, Vudu, Amazon and Netflix have agreement with National Association of the Deaf (NAD) to add closed caption/subtitles to 100% of contents. Consequently, iTunes, Amazon and Vudu had to delisted numbers of contents that studios refused to make closed captioned, so Sheep in the Big City is one of example, however it won't affect anyone who bought this show prior to delisted.

Outsourcing companies like Shout Factory, Time Life and Mill Creek and sometime, studios run DVD/BD like WB Archive don't put closed caption/subtitle in many old contents. Long time ago back in 2000s, studios were mixed about whichever DVD are closed captioned and some weren't. It is possible to have federal law to require all contents released on physical media to be closed caption or subtitled, however there is problem, it may discourage companies from release if studios don't have closed caption or subtitle data. Studios need learn to preserve those like they do with contents. Shout Factory said that they released everything that studio supplied to them but they didn't bother to ask in case if there is missing like CC/subtitle data. Most of times, studios forgot to supply or exclude since they seen as special feature, but NO! CC/subtitle is necessary for deaf and hard of hearing viewers to understand the dialogues in shows/films, also there are many hearing people use it as well like English learners want to learn by read the CC/subtitle.

Under FCC rule, contents on all linear channels are required to be closed caption from 6 am to 2 am, however most networks opt to make contents closed captioned to run from 2 am to 6 am, tho. I encountered very few channels aired contents without CC are movies on Screenpix but it is very unusual.

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
I was once watching The Simpsons on TV with closed captioning enabled, when that was starting to become a thing, and I noticed the captioning was way off the actual episode, by a few minutes or so. That must've sucked for those that REALLY need it.

• Informative
Reactions: Moe

[classic swim]

SwimShady
DVD subtitles are useful when my heater/AC unit is very noisy and I don’t feel like having my old television set blaring just to hear comfortably.

Don’t like when there’s either no subtitles at all, or for whatever reason there’s only French subtitles.

Moe

I was once watching The Simpsons on TV with closed captioning enabled, when that was starting to become a thing, and I noticed the captioning was way off the actual episode, by a few minutes or so. That must've sucked for those that REALLY need it.
Sometime, they are glitched and that happened to me with some networks.

DVD subtitles are useful when my heater/AC unit is very noisy and I don’t feel like having my old television set blaring just to hear comfortably.

Don’t like when there’s either no subtitles at all, or for whatever reason there’s only French subtitles.
Yeah, I noticed restaurants and bars set CC on and I do think that has with loud environment that prevent people from hear directly from TV.

Got crying or noisy toddlers next to you, ouch.

FirePuppy

On Disney+, you get subtitles in up to 27 languages on the main platform, while on Netflix, you get up to 34.

For what I know, you don't get Arabic, Hebrew, Croatian, Russian, Ukrainian, Hindi, Indonesian, Malay, Thai or Vietnamese subtitles on the main Disney+, and there's usually no Canadian French, Cantonese or Slovak subtitles on Netflix content.

• Informative
Reactions: Moe

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

When writing this article, one side of me said "Why write something like this that could be potentially misleading?" The other side said "Well, the show isn't talked about much. You can write about it as long as you back up your facts." As such, I went with the latter.

Finally started catching some of Smiling Friends. What I've seen of it so far is pretty good.
Are there any channels that got shut down before being launched?
Happy Memorial Day!

Featured Posts