Yu-Gi-Oh! Sevens Discussion

Light Lucario

Staff member
Disney XD getting Sevens is really interesting because I thought the same thing as you. I initially thought the show would be streaming only on something like Netflix. But still have it on both TV and Streaming is a good move on Konami, since almost all the Yu-Gi-Oh! Dubs excluding Vrains are on Hulu, so good job to them, although It’s weird that they taken this long to find a outlet to premiere the dub, considering they already have the first 52 episodes dubbed already and are probably recording the second half right now. Very Weird all around.
I would have been a bit surprised if Netflix picked up the series. I don't know if they had other spin-off series in the past, but I remember that they had the first two seasons of the Arc V dub and they never updated with season three despite having the dub available for so long. Even now, they only have the first couple of seasons of the DM dub. It would have been a good way to make the dub available internationally in one swoop, but I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't interested in picking up the series. In retrospect, I'm surprised that they didn't have Hulu premiere the Vrains dub instead of going for Pluto TV. Hulu definitely would have given the series more exposure and a more consistent release schedule than Pluto TV did.

I'm positive that it took them this long to find an outlet for the dub because KCM were so set on getting a TV deal for the Sevens dub. They most likely took ages to make the Vrains dub legally available in the U.S. because they wanted it on TV instead of being an online exclusive and seemingly only cave into making it online exclusive when they couldn't get a TV deal for it. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the same kind of rationale for the Sevens dub. There could have been issues in regards to releasing Rush Duel cards too, but I'm not sure how much of a factor that would be when they localized the Sevens Switch game before having any announcement about the dub.

Considering how good of a job Disney XD did when promoting Pokémon SM, I have high hope that Disney XD will air the whole series and give it a good time slot as well as promotion. Rush Duels still need to be released here in the U.S. so Sevens premiering now Isn’t too bad but disappointing especially as you said Light, we’re a whole series behind the Japanese. I wonder if they would’ve released the dub late last year, would the gap behind the Japanese version be much smaller?
I assume that Rush Duel cards will be announced shortly before or after the Sevens dub starts. It would be kind of weird for them to dub the show if the cards wouldn't eventually be released here. If they had started the dub late last year, I don't think that the gap would have been that much better. Maybe we wouldn't be a full series behind the Japanese version, but we'd still be nearly two years behind the Japanese version and there wouldn't be much of a way to shorten it if they were doing only weekly premieres.

Light, I have to wonder, what kinda gap you would’ve wanted between the Japanese version and the dub? Would you have wanted a similar gap to that of Pokémon Journeys or something like that?
An ideal gap between the two version for me would be between three to six months. Admittedly, I don't know how fast new booster packs come out, so maybe they'd need to make the gap a bit longer than that in order to make the dub tie in more effectively with the card releases, but there's no good reason why the dub should be years behind the Japanese version, let alone a full series behind. Having a similar gap that Pokemon Journeys has with its Japanese version would work too, even if the U.S. airings are further behind Canada due to the weird release schedule from Netflix.

Yea I’m very interested to see how the dub turns out and to see the edits, which the way Sevens is, I don’t think there’s much to censor really. I’m also interested to see how the dub opening is, which at least this time is better than Vrains dub opening.
There wouldn't be much to censor, but there are a lot of Japanese puns and humor in the original version that would be difficult to translate well. Plus, as infamous as the censorship for the dubs have been, the bad dialogue and poor characterizations are big problems too. There wasn't much for them to censor in Arc V or Zexal either in my opinion, but they still had the same problems that the other dubs have. That being said, being a more light hearted series with little to no actual stakes involved might give the dub more of a chance. I've also heard pretty good things about the localization of the Sevens Switch game, so that could be a good sign for the dub itself.

The Vrains dub opening is so forgettable. I can kind of hear what they were going for with mimicking a bit of the original DM opening and maybe a more traditional song wouldn't have fit with the series' tone either, but it's way too low key to stand out among the other dub openings. I'm sure that the Sevens dub opening will only be thirty seconds long, but hopefully it will be at least memorable.

Although I am curious to hear what the characters sound like in the dub, which I hope is the cast from the Switch game because if not I’ll be really disappointed. It wouldn’t really sense for a good cast to be in the game but not the anime and will cause some consistency issues with the dub, but I guess we’ll have to wait and see on June 6th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm positive that they'll keep the cast from the Sevens Switch game. It would be weird to hire new voice actors when they already have voice actors for most of the prominent characters from season one through the game. Plus, in what Yu-Gi-Oh! games we have that do include voice acting, they generally stick with the voice actors from the anime. Duels Links generally has the same voice actors from their respective dubs reprising their roles. There are some exceptions like Satorious since Maddie Blaustein sadly passed away years ago. There have been some other recasts in Duel Links, like with Yuma, Bronk and I think Sora recently, but they usually keep their voice actors from the anime instead of having different actors for the dubs and games. I would assume that they'd want to have the dub cast from the game match with the show.

4Kids4EverFandom

Official Email Reply I got from a Disney Rep - Yu-Gi-Oh SEVENS premieres at 2PM on Disney XD on Monday June 6th! and it will also go to the DisneyNOW App as well!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 12.25.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 12.25.27 PM.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 54

Light Lucario

Staff member
I think 2PM is an awful slot...
It is in June, so plenty of kids would be home instead of at school. Plus, getting released on Hulu the next day can potentially make up for any poor timeslot. The bigger problem would be that they wouldn't have a lot of time to promote the series' premiere ahead of time.

zoombie

I don't know what the theme song is going to be, but it has a long way to go to be as good as Hyperdrive, that is by far my favorite Yu Gi Oh English dub opening.

kanc

Official Email Reply I got from a Disney Rep - Yu-Gi-Oh SEVENS premieres at 2PM on Disney XD on Monday June 6th! and it will also go to the DisneyNOW App as well!

It will have 2pm premiere bomb, then later will move to Sat morning 8am slot

Light Lucario

Staff member
Airing two new episodes for its first week before moving to Saturday at 8AM definitely sounds good. It could potentially attract more kids and even just slightly improve the gap between the two versions. I just hope that Hulu won't just upload one or two new episodes for its first week causing the episodes to take longer to be available on streaming.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I was hoping that they'd have a bit of promotion for the dub, so that is a good sign. Based on Yuga, Luke and Gakuto's voices, they are still using the cast from the Switch game, so that's neat. I assume that the song playing during the promo is a bit of the dub opening. If that is the case, it sounds pretty good, but also maybe too serious for the general tone that Sevens has.

tykroma94

I was hoping that they'd have a bit of promotion for the dub, so that is a good sign. Based on Yuga, Luke and Gakuto's voices, they are still using the cast from the Switch game, so that's neat. I assume that the song playing during the promo is a bit of the dub opening. If that is the case, it sounds pretty good, but also maybe too serious for the general tone that Sevens has.

I’m happy with this promo to be honest. I’m also happy that the cast from the Switch game is coming back too. Based on the voices I heard Toombs sounds really good and Luke surprisingly too as I thought his voice was okay in the game, but he sound better hear. Yuga I’m assuming is still the same actor and from the little I heard I like it, same with Gavin/Gakuto. I believe the song in the promo is indeed the dub opening, which actually sounds pretty good, even if the tone of Sevens is pretty goofy. Can’t wait to hear more of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aegisrawks

I thought you guys might have been exaggerating about how serious the opening is... and you not only were right, I think its TOO unfitting! But I AM SUPER happy about the week of double premieres each weekday!

Pronto

The song in the commercial appears to be titled Monster and is from the artists Walgrove. They work for the media company Saint Rogue Records that among other things, produces promotional music for various films and shows such as American Idol, Chicago Fire, Riverdale, The Walking Dead etc.

It's interesting that Disney XD and or Konami Cross Media were willing to use a licensed song to promote the series. In North America studios often opt to use in-house or royalty free music during commercials for non-theatrical cartoons and anime.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Did Yu Gi Oh premiere outside the USA already?

Yes, the dub premiered today on Disney XD. Although, it apparently started yesterday in Australia, which is why the dub opening was available sooner.

I haven't seen the dub, so I can't comment on the voice acting or any changes they made. I do think that the dub opening was better than I expected it to be. It still feels a bit weird to have another instrumental opening, but I think this one works a lot better than the Vrains dub opening. It had a good beat, actually has some energy and I think it fits with the more light hearted tone of the series. It also helps that the editing generally works and flows with the song. Oddly enough, it might go on a bit too long, but that might be due to how I'm used to the thirty second openings and it felt a bit jarring to have a few shots of Roa near the end when 95% of the footage came from the Japanese opening themes instead. It still seems better than the Vrains dub opening, if only because I don't think it will be nearly as forgettable.

zoombie

I have only watched up to episode 4, so I haven't gotten to her debut yet, I am curious to see how Mimi is handled in the dub. Will she still be an adult or a kid that for some reason works at corporation. I could see that happening and her son be her little brother in the dub. I do know for sure weather she is an adult or a kid, the bar in her debut episode will be changed to a juice parlor.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.
It's interesting how Disney Junior is rebranding, first with the logo, and now educational curriculum being developed under Disney Junior Education And Inclusion rather than the Disney Junior Educational Resource Group.

Featured Posts