New Fist of the North Star Anime is coming

Grenzer

This is Kyokugen Karate... 2016 Style
This could either be amazing or a massive disappointment like the later seasons of Fist of the Blue Sky. I'm going to be cautiously optimistic on this since reboots of classic anime franchises in the past 10 years have turned out well more often than not. Regardless of the execution, it could encourage a whole new generation to experience Fist of the North Star. While I have a soft spot for the original anime, its age and rather dated production values make it hard to recommend to younger anime fans. Getting a more streamlined retelling of the manga would also be nice, but I'll take just about anything as long as it's entertaining.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
This could either be amazing or a massive disappointment like the later seasons of Fist of the Blue Sky. I'm going to be cautiously optimistic on this since reboots of classic anime franchises in the past 10 years have turned out well more often than not. Regardless of the execution, it could encourage a whole new generation to experience Fist of the North Star. While I have a soft spot for the original anime, its age and rather dated production values make it hard to recommend to younger anime fans. Getting a more streamlined retelling of the manga would also be nice, but I'll take just about anything as long as it's entertaining.
Yeah, I checked out of the Blue Sky early on - couldn't get into the story or the animation style.

What did you think of The Legends of the True Savior or do you still prefer the original anime overall?

It definitely had an interesting history just in terms of anime:
-The original 80s anime series that lasted 2 seasons and 152 episodes but never adapted the whole manga
-The 1986 movie that was an AU retelling
-New Fist of North Star, a 3 episode OVA made in 2003 adapting the 1996 sequel novel
-Fist of the North Star: The Legends of the True Savior in 2006 which was basically the first reboot attempt which was 3 movies and 2 OVAs.
-Fist of Blue Sky, a prequel series that aired in 2006/2007 and 2017/2018

Grenzer

This is Kyokugen Karate... 2016 Style
Yeah, I checked out of the Blue Sky early on - couldn't get into the story or the animation style.

What did you think of The Legends of the True Savior or do you still prefer the original anime overall?

It definitely had an interesting history just in terms of anime:
-The original 80s anime series that lasted 2 seasons and 152 episodes but never adapted the whole manga
-The 1986 movie that was an AU retelling
-New Fist of North Star, a 3 episode OVA made in 2003 adapting the 1996 sequel novel
-Fist of the North Star: The Legends of the True Savior in 2006 which was basically the first reboot attempt which was 3 movies and 2 OVAs.
-Fist of Blue Sky, a prequel series that aired in 2006/2007 and 2017/2018
I never saw more than a few clips of Legends of the True Savior, so I cannot give a detailed opinion of it. The summary online suggests you would have to be a preexisting fan to understand the story beats, with each 60-90 minute episode focusing on a different character. A lot of time was devoted to original material that helps flesh out backstories that were not seen in the original manga. Raoh gets two stories since he is the perennial favorite amongst both the fanbase and creative team alike. Yuria gets much needed focus as well.

What little I saw of it looked good, but it would not be a good introduction to the franchise for someone who had never been exposed to it beforehand. If the new anime could weave some of those points into the general narrative it could help freshen the somewhat straightforward plot of the original for 21st century sensibilities about characterization. This is just wild speculation on my part though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

1 decade, 1 month and 1 fortnight ago, Shrek got a series of shorts titled New Shrek on DreamWorksTV.

Like the rest of Shrek, it has its fair share of memes, like a One Direction parody called Wrong Direction, an episode where he literally just burps Happy Birthday, a Freestyle Rap, and (from the very first second no less) of course:
Happy Father's Day!
Happy Father's Day!
I swear to God, no one really hates Cartoon Cartoons/CN Studios library more than Warner Bros. Discovery do.

Featured Posts