Yu-Gi-Oh Classic Season 5 (New Video Group-Cinedigm)

Chaotix12345

Guh-huh!
Yep. That's where the "deleted scenes" on the DVD came from. The episode versions have all of the footage intact.

Chaotix12345

Guh-huh!
Quite a few smaller bits. For example, Joey's chase scene with the Kuramas is longer in the episode versions, there's a part cut out of the movie where Grandpa explains why he can't use his Summoned Skull in a certain scene, and Celtic Guardian's dialogue where he swears his loyalty to Yugi when he's first summoned is cut.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I still don't understand why they made those edits for Capsule Monsters. Most of the edited scenes didn't cut out anything too important, but since 4Kids made it themselves, I don't know why they didn't just include six episodes on each of the original DVD releases instead of making them two movies. I still don't really like the idea of including them with the season five set. I would have preferred for them to get a separate release or not released at all since they don't really fit with the season or add anything new for the dub.

Ishtar

I still don't understand why they made those edits for Capsule Monsters. Most of the edited scenes didn't cut out anything too important, but since 4Kids made it themselves, I don't know why they didn't just include six episodes on each of the original DVD releases instead of making them two movies. I still don't really like the idea of including them with the season five set. I would have preferred for them to get a separate release or not released at all since they don't really fit with the season or add anything new for the dub.
4kids officially placed Capsule Monsters as a part of Season 5, production code wise, so that's the main reason. It's also why when Toonzai re-aired the series, it aired with the Season 5 episodes. Like it or not, they're counted as a part of the total episode count. At least it makes this a true complete release of the series.

Light Lucario

Staff member
4kids officially placed Capsule Monsters as a part of Season 5, production code wise, so that's the main reason. It's also why when Toonzai re-aired the series, it aired with the Season 5 episodes. Like it or not, they're counted as a part of the total episode count. At least it makes this a true complete release of the series.

I'm aware of that, but it still seems strange when it's more of an OVA rather than part of the series, especially when it was made after the dub had already finished.

Chaos Yoshi Mage

The Lonely Raven
OVA's on series releases aren't all that uncommon. I don't consider Capsule Monsters a part of Duel Monsters in the least, but I can't really complain about not having to buy it on a separate release.

PokemonTVDub

Capsule Monsters was always interesting to me.

No one realized it's existence until 2006, when it aired on an Irish station with no promotion whatsoever.

It also never had a Japanese Dub. This would leave me to believe 4Kids commissioned it, but they also commissioned Pyramid of Light, and that got a Japanese Dub. Was it too late to bring back the Japanese VAs at this point?

Light Lucario

Staff member
Capsule Monsters was always interesting to me.

No one realized it's existence until 2006, when it aired on an Irish station with no promotion whatsoever.

It also never had a Japanese Dub. This would leave me to believe 4Kids commissioned it, but they also commissioned Pyramid of Light, and that got a Japanese Dub. Was it too late to bring back the Japanese VAs at this point?

I remember when I first heard about it airing on an Irish station out of nowhere. I was so excited for it just because it was new material with the DM cast, but after watching it, I wasn't really that impressed with it. It doesn't really add much of anything to the dub and not as much of a guilty pleasure as the Pyramid of Light movie is for me. As for why it never got a Japanese version, GX had already been on the air for two years at that point, so it might have been too late to dub something DM related, especially when it didn't feature much of any new monsters. With the Pyramid of Light movie, it was dubbed only about a year after GX started. I also think that they would have had a more difficult time trying to fit Capsule Monsters into the original version's canon than they did with Pyramid of Light, so that could have been a factor as to why it never got a Japanese dub.

ChibiGoku

Something Not Quite Right
I remember when I first heard about it airing on an Irish station out of nowhere. I was so excited for it just because it was new material with the DM cast, but after watching it, I wasn't really that impressed with it. It doesn't really add much of anything to the dub and not as much of a guilty pleasure as the Pyramid of Light movie is for me. As for why it never got a Japanese version, GX had already been on the air for two years at that point, so it might have been too late to dub something DM related, especially when it didn't feature much of any new monsters. With the Pyramid of Light movie, it was dubbed only about a year after GX started. I also think that they would have had a more difficult time trying to fit Capsule Monsters into the original version's canon than they did with Pyramid of Light, so that could have been a factor as to why it never got a Japanese dub.

It's also worth noting, atleast with the movie's case, the Japanese cut is different (the Japanese version is technically longer, though the way some scenes are cut are slightly different than the US version, so in some cases, the US version might have some scenes lasting a second longer or two), plus them going in and making additional changes, animation wise, between being released internationally and what aired/released in Japan.

As for Capsule Monsters, or as Gallop's lists it on their website, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters ALEX, even if they didn't record the Japanese voice track, I wouldn't doubt they produced a Sound Effects and Music Track for it for international dubbers. This makes me curious as to which version the Asian dubbing companies got a hold of...

PokemonTVDub

And you have to wonder if 4Kids cut anything out of the material given to them to dub Capsule Monsters?

Last edited by a moderator:

PokemonTVDub

From the official yugioh.com website, here are some of the possible stock photos that could be used:
aknadin-md.png

bkb-mg

shadow-md.png

isi-md.png

karim-md.png

seto-md.png

shada-md.png

We also know they have a stock photo of Diabound:
704400057144_p0_v2_s260x420.jpg

I would hope they had stock photos of Pharoah Atem, Mahad, Mana and Zorc.

DonkeyKongSong

Another factor might have been what it would have promoted. Pyramid of Light promoted new cards such as the movie's namesake and Anubis' Sphinx cards. Capsule Monsters didn't really add anything new in that area, either, so they probably saw no reason to dub it.

Chaotix12345

Guh-huh!
Nice selection of covers (Neat to see the Seven-Armed Fiend on the first one) and also cool that the Capsule Monsters eps get their own volume for people who would rather separate them from the rest of the series.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I’ve come to a realization. With Superman, Unicorn, Checkered Past, and now Invincible Fight Girl, Adult Swim is straying away from their mission of being adult-only animation, one that’s even in their NAME, to get more advertisers.

The exact reason why CN Real existed.
I REALLY HOPE Adult Swim puts an episode of American Dad before Sailor Moon on Toonami Rewind, CN's shows are NOT CAPABLE giving ratings by their sheer popularity.

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.

Featured Posts