What Would CN's Upcoming Girls Block Would Be Like, Named, or Aired? (EDIT: READ UPDATE (9/20/21))

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Looks like Cartoon Network is going to have a very promising future when it comes to their programming blocks in recent years.

First, we got a preschool block called Cartoonito. Then, a family night block called ACME Night. Finally, we are getting an upcoming girls block.

The shows that CN were announcing for the upcoming girls block were Jade Armor and Gross Girls.

Other shows in development that "might" come to the block (speculation) such as Tweety Mysteries and Family Mashup.

However, there's isn't any announcement for an upcoming girls block for Cartoon Network, yet. No name. No release date. Nothing.

Here's how I think/predict the girl block could be:

The girls block will be staring a 10-year old girl, hosting the block. Doing fun skits, going through wacky and crazy stuff, and all that.

Premiering shows such as Jade Armor, Gross Girls, Family Mashup, Tweety Mysteries, and DC Superhero Girls on the block.

I can't predict on what new name of the block would be, but if I had to guess, it could be:

a) T.G.I.F.(Thank Gal It's Friday), but I doubt it.

b) GIRL POWER!, but that's too generic.

c) Cartoon Network Fridays, but that's up in the air. Even with that, bringing back the Fridays name is a bit iffy.

d) FRIDAZE! or any other name, because I suck at making names.

Make it that for what you will.

As for what the girls block is going to be airing?

Well, Cartoonito is going to be airing on weekdays and weekend mornings, Acme Night on Sunday nights, but I don't know for the girls block.

It could be either on Friday nights or Saturday nights.

I'm really hoping Fridays, but Disney already got this in the bag. So, Saturdays, perhaps? I don't know.

Finally the timeslot could be 8pm-10, if Adult Swim reduced the hours and have CN run until 10pm, or a new timeslot all together.

When CN is going to be releasing the girls block? Well, probably not this month. It's either later this year or early next year, but we'll see.

So what do you guys think?

How do you think a girls block for CN would be like and how do you named it or aired it?

Let me know.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE (9/20/21)

Yeah, about that? Let me explain:

@LinusFan303 did mentioned this before about a couple of weeks ago. There's not gonna be a girls block on CN. At all. They are just gonna air the girls shows under the CN banner rather than making a girls block. Tom Aschiem wanted to provide a good balance for their content since CN geared towards boys since the late 2000's to early 2010's, and Tom wanted to fix that.

The only CN blocks we got right now that is not Adult Swim/Toonami are Cartoonito and ACME Night. That's all.

Apologies for taking this news with little information out of context and ran with it. The girls shows that CN greenlight or in development right now (Jade Armor, Family Mashup, Gross Girls, Tweety Mysteries, and My Adventures with Superman) wouldn't come out until next year. We don't know if those shows sticks or not, but for now, we'll wait and see.

Once again, I apologize.

Last edited:

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
I honestly forgot all about that interview. Thanks.

Anyway, I think this girls block could provide a companion piece to ACME Night. Maybe run it from 6-9PM on a different night of the week (Saturdays, perhaps?) and take away another hour from Adult Swim.

CN's space is so limited now thanks to Cartoonito and weekends are the only place now where it can dominate, so putting the girls block at that time slot seems like the only logical solution.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Here's a recent interview with Ascheim, if anybody's interested: WarnerMedia’s Tom Ascheim - TVKIDS

I don't think they are going to make a block for girls, I think they will add it to the line up just as normal a block for one gender would be limiting compared to a block of a genre (like action cartoons) or a broad demo (preschool or families). Their intention is to have programs they think girls would like, to balance the demos, since they became more boy focused during the early 2010's.

It would be more of sense of them go and air "Gross Girls" , for example, under the CN branding as normal then to say hey this show is for girls , especially of boys might like it too. When Disney tried the Disney Channel is for girls and Disney XD is for boys things, they never said it on the air , it was more focused on programming for the demos, but they didn't want to scare away boys from watching Disney Channel or Girls watching XD.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
I honestly forgot all about that interview. Thanks.
Your welcome. ;)

Anyway, I think this girls block could provide a companion piece to ACME Night. Maybe run it from 6-9PM on a different night of the week (Saturdays, perhaps?) and take away another hour from Adult Swim.
Yeah, I think Saturdays would be a better choice.

Here's a recent interview with Ascheim, if anybody's interested: WarnerMedia’s Tom Ascheim - TVKIDS
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Thank you.

I don't think they are going to make a block for girls, I think they will add it to the line up just as normal a block for one gender would be limiting compared to a block of a genre (like action cartoons) or a broad demo (preschool or families). Their intention is to have programs they think girls would like, to balance the demos, since they became more boy focused during the early 2010's.
Oooh, okay. I understand now.

I must've taken the Kidscreen article at a face value and didn't get the whole context of it. I apologize.

It would be more of sense of them go and air "Gross Girls" , for example, under the CN branding as normal then to say hey this show is for girls , especially of boys might like it too. When Disney tried the Disney Channel is for girls and Disney XD is for boys things, they never said it on the air , it was more focused on programming for the demos, but they didn't want to scare away boys from watching Disney Channel or Girls watching XD.
Well, you're not wrong on that one.

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
Looking at the article, it mentions that there will be a programming block for girls as well as preschoolers and families, but Ascheim only mentions development on named for the preschool(Cartoonito) and family(ACME Night) blocks. So I think that the girl shows will have their own block, but the block will not have a name. I believe the block will also be on Sunday mornings, where DC Super Hero Girls currently airs new episodes. Finally, I believe Ascheim said in another article that My Adventures with Superman will also be a show for girls.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Looking at the article, it mentions that there will be a programming block for girls as well as preschoolers and families, but Ascheim only mentions development on named for the preschool(Cartoonito) and family(ACME Night) blocks. So I think that the girl shows will have their own block, but the block will not have a name. I believe the block will also be on Sunday mornings, where DC Super Hero Girls currently airs new episodes. Finally, I believe Ascheim said in another article that My Adventures with Superman will also be a show for girls.
Yeah, I can see that.

Tacomaster

I think the only major difference in branding for the girl shows is using a female announcer, similar to how adult swim brands their shows for girls

Tacomaster

So from the looks of it, it’s just adventure time and PPG? This was 2016, right? What about Steven Universe? I heard that show was made specifically to attract a female audience.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
One thing that I'm wondering is what time of day and when during the week would a hypothetical girls block (since Tom Aschiem hasn't made a recent official announcement of one as of yet) air? During the week, Cartoonito will run from 8am to 2pm, which only leaves 6 hours of Cartoon Network before Adult Swim takes over. Even if CN regains 8pm, I kind of doubt that CN would run a 2 hour girls block on the days when they only have 6 hours of programming in total. So I'm thinking that said girls block would only be an hour long or it would air on weekends only.

Interestingly, CBS launched a girl-centric Saturday morning block back in 2006 called KOL Secret Slumber Party (the block was produced by DiC who was then partnered with America Online - KOL was an AOL website designed for children), which was renamed KEWLopolis in 2007 after AOL withdrew it's sponsorship. It was replaced with Cookie Jar TV the following year.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I could see a block like this on Saturday nights starting at 6:00. It's not uncommon for kids networks to hype up Saturday nights as like a huge party. If not that, then maybe Saturday mornings at 9:00am for 2-3 hours.

harry580

Interestingly, CBS launched a girl-centric Saturday morning block back in 2006 called KOL Secret Slumber Party (the block was produced by DiC who was then partnered with America Online - KOL was an AOL website designed for children), which was renamed KEWLopolis in 2007 after AOL withdrew it's sponsorship. It was replaced with Cookie Jar TV the following year.
ironically and interestingly, aol was owned by Warner Bros at the time and Warner Bros also owns Cartoon Network

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
There was already a block with that name on CN Latin America.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up.

One thing that I'm wondering is what time of day and when during the week would a hypothetical girls block (since Tom Aschiem hasn't made a recent official announcement of one as of yet) air? During the week, Cartoonito will run from 8am to 2pm, which only leaves 6 hours of Cartoon Network before Adult Swim takes over. Even if CN regains 8pm, I kind of doubt that CN would run a 2 hour girls block on the days when they only have 6 hours of programming in total. So I'm thinking that said girls block would only be an hour long or it would air on weekends only.
Actually, Cartoonito will be airing from 6am-2pm on weekdays and 6am-8am on weekends, but I get what you saying.

My bet is on the weekends. I'm not sure about Friday nights. Saturday nights, maybe?

Yeah, I heard about it.

I could see a block like this on Saturday nights starting at 6:00. It's not uncommon for kids networks to hype up Saturday nights as like a huge party. If not that, then maybe Saturday mornings at 9:00am for 2-3 hours.
I'll go with the former.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Boomerang might as well join Nicktoons and TeenNick now.
"WBD just hates animation! They don't care about it!"

Counterpoint: Me TV Toons.
I heard Max is giving Scavengers Reign to Netflix. Maybe they'll do more with it over there than Max did.
My reaction that TeenNick is airing more cartoons than live-action.

Featured Posts