"Unofficial Sentai Akibaranger" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
akibabanner.png

Unofficial Sentai Akibaranger

Nobuo Akagi is a 29 year old delivery "boy", still obsessed with Sentai. When out on delivery, a woman approaches him with an offer: to become a Sentai hero; Akagi assumes this is a joke at first, but soon finds himself and two girls using the power of "Grand Delusion" to fight the Stema Corporation! Their mission: to become recognized by Toei as an official Sentai!

Unofficial Sentai Akibaranger is the first "unofficial" Sentai series, and plays late-night Fridays (Japan time) on the satellite channel BS Asahi.

veemonjosh

Episode 1
"Pain is Power"

Having seen the first episode, I want to say...Wow. Just wow.

You can tell everyone involved in this show was having fun, because it shows. For the hardcore fans, there's references and in-jokes galore for all things Sentai (and Metal Heroes!); for the more casual fans, this is a great comedy that subverts and shatters dozens of Sentai cliches in its first episode alone. Then for everyone else, the cast is so bizarre that you can't help liking them.

AkibaRed is very enjoyable as a red ranger, not only being a Sentai fan in his late 20's, but also obsessed with a moe anime character, which provides great reactions from those around him. AkibaYellow, so far, is interesting; she's a cosplayer, dressing up as a catgirl in the first episode, but the opening shows that she might be wearing a different cosplay every episode, and her personality might wildly vary depending on what she wears. The scenes she shares with AkibaRed are funny as heck, since she's the one who relates the most to his obsession with Sentai. AkibaBlue is the "sane" member of the group, which I'm taking as commentary on how blue rangers in recent years have been the quiet strong type, except Blue takes it the opposite direction by being quiet and timid.

The villain is certainly interesting (definitely not someone you'd see on an actual kids show), but I'll have to see more of her to make a better judgment (and oh boy, we'll be seeing a lot more of her next episode...if you know what I mean). My only main complaint is the way that the "Grand Delusion" powers supposedly work, but we'll have to see how that plays out as well...

Overall, I give episode 1 a solid 9/10.

Batmex

Avengers Assemble!
Akiba Red makes Gokai silver look like an ignorant fool! :p

show looks promissing! :D

HEATXZ

Duck Knght
Akibaranger is hilarious XD
I enjoy the funny scenes,It's great to have a Female Blue Ranger

veemonjosh

[Over-Time]%2BUnofficial%2BSentai%2BAkibaranger%2B-%2B01%2B[24D0375C].mkv_snapshot_25.34_[2012.04.11_10.27.36].jpg

Episode 2
"The Activation of a Bizarrely Decorated Vehicle Summons a Full Blast of Red Delusion"

Guest starring Ryuji Sainei (Ban/DekaRed from Dekaranger) and an out-of-suit appearance by Hirofumi Fukuzawa (long-time Sentai suit actor, including DekaRed).

O-chan

Coming off of the Super Sentai high that as Gokaiger what I like about this series is it takes things in the reverse direction with an almost cynical-but-fun parody of the Super Sentai genre. I also feel this is a great compliment to GoBuster which has taken on more realistic dynamics of Sentai.

As far as this episode goes I feel this drilled into the viewers heads why this show is 15+. While the first episode had hints and cues, this episode made it clear that everything that propels this series is
based on the power of delusion
. I wonder what would happen if a director like Hideaki Anno was at the helm, since this series seems to be right up his alley as far as pandering and criticizing otaku culture.

O-chan

veemonjosh

akibaranger+episode+3.png

Episode 3
"Ouch! Drunken Hero Adventure!!"

Untitled.jpg

Episode 4
"Forbidden Delusion Is the Pain of Immortality Blue"

veemonjosh

akiba-5.jpg

Episode 5
Our Pain☆Yellow Mama

Nobuo thinks that they must work together if they want to fight as team, as well as keeping their identities a secret, even from their parents. They were surprised when they were visited by Yumeria's mother, who seems to be also a cosplayer.

HEATXZ

Duck Knght
Episode 5 was great :anime:
My favorite parts are AkibaYellow's mother being a cosplayer and the ending XD

veemonjosh

1336150766675.jpg

Episode 6
"Take Flight Leader! The Painful Trap of Deluded Photography"

As a delivery boy from SPD (Sasaki Ponpoko Delivery), Nobuo takes the job to deliver something for the studio director at Toei in Tokyo. For him, this is the Holy Grail for any Sentai fan. Thinking that they might learn to finally make the Akibaranger an official team, he took Mizuki along. After delivering the package, they suddenly saw an actual TV shooting and meets the legendary stunt and suit actor Kazuo. Fascinated by his sword play, Mizuki applies as an apprentice.

Guest-starring Kazou Niibori, the original suit actor for nearly all the red rangers from Akared (Gorenger) to Red Hawk (Jetman).

O-chan

After seeing Episode 3 I've come to the conclusion this series is truly TWISTED! Just seeing 2/3 of the team blitzed out of their minds and all the B.L. jokes (or was that episode 4, whatever) made it clear this is the dark side of Sentai.

O-chan

HEATXZ

Duck Knght
Episode 6 was very funny XD
My favorite parts are AkibaRed at Toei Studio and the Akibarangers doing movie scenes XD

veemonjosh

Apologies for not bumping this up sooner.

1336757367695.jpg

Episode 7
"Delirious Runaway Itasher Break Through the Limit!"

akiba8.JPG

Episode 8
"The Bonds of Painful Special Training Are the Authorization Road's Conspiracy Intersection"

Akibaranger%2B9.jpg

Episode 9
"The Pain Sentai Breaks Up."

Also of interest, the official episode count for Akibaranger is now set at 13 episodes.

veemonjosh

The beginning of the end for the Akibarangers begins here!

akiba-10.jpg

Episode 10
"Non-Pain Inducing Curse of Z --- Into a New Chapter"

veemonjosh

A new red ranger, a penultimate episode.

sfjybn.jpg

Episode 11
"The Second Generation Is a Fresh and Painless Warrior"

HEATXZ

Duck Knght
Great episode :D
Drill Cyclops was very cool,It was hilarious when
Akiba Red found out that this was TV Show and he stop the words XD

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy Father's Day!
Happy Father's Day!
I swear to God, no one really hates Cartoon Cartoons/CN Studios library more than Warner Bros. Discovery do.
Ultraman Rising is the #6 movie on Netflix Worldwide.
Inside Out 2 is gonna be doing huge box office numbers.

Featured Posts