Tony Sirico Dead At 79

DecaTilde

Beauty is only fur deep.
I had strongly hoped for Tony to reprise the role of Vinny in future episodes of Family Guy. But if they're going to bring him back to the show after his Season 15 cameo, the show crew and series creator Seth MacFarlane will have to recast him.

Maybe they can come to me. After all, I have fandubbed Vinny before.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I had strongly hoped for Tony to reprise the role of Vinny in future episodes of Family Guy. But if they're going to bring him back to the show after his Season 15 cameo, the show crew and series creator Seth MacFarlane will have to recast him.

Maybe they can come to me. After all, I have fandubbed Vinny before.
Family Guy is one of those rare shows where MANY of the characters' voices ARE the actual celebrities and simply can't be recast when they die. And it's the only real franchise I can think of that has this specific thing going for it. You could recast the entire casts of The Simpsons, South Park, or Futurama and I wouldn't bat an eye.

They can do a tribute episode for Vinnie. I hope they do. But the character should not be used again.

DecaTilde

Beauty is only fur deep.
Family Guy is one of those rare shows where MANY of the characters' voices ARE the actual celebrities and simply can't be recast when they die. And it's the only real franchise I can think of that has this specific thing going for it. You could recast the entire casts of The Simpsons, South Park, or Futurama and I wouldn't bat an eye.

They can do a tribute episode for Vinnie. I hope they do. But the character should not be used again.
In other words, they can kill Vinny off, like they (temporarily) killed off Brian?

I… can't accept that. Vinny is my favorite character. I don't want him dead.

Maybe Seth and the crew can discuss what they're going to do with Vinny, at the Family Guy panel at Comic-Con tomorrow.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
In other words, they can kill Vinny off, like they (temporarily) killed off Brian?

I… can't accept that. Vinny is my favorite character. I don't want him dead.

Maybe Seth and the crew can discuss what they're going to do with Vinny, at the Family Guy panel at Comic-Con tomorrow.
They could just retire him and never show him again. Those are the options.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
You could recast the entire casts of The Simpsons, South Park or Futurama and I wouldn't bat an eye.
Actually, The Simpsons have retired or in one case, killed off a character after their actor's death such as Lionel Hutz, Troy McClure and most recently Edna Krabappel.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Actually, The Simpsons have retired or in one case, killed off a character after their actor's death such as Lionel Hutz, Troy McClure and most recently Edna Krabappel.
But The Simpsons was wrong to do it in each case. For some reason, it's different for Family Guy actors. They put a VERY personal stamp on their roles in the way Simpsons actors never do.

DecaTilde

Beauty is only fur deep.
Well, the cast and crew didn't show up for the panel yesterday (instead showing a sneak peek episode for Season 21), so we don’t know what they'll do with Vinny.

Anyway, Tony will be missed.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
But The Simpsons was wrong to do it in each case. For some reason, it's different for Family Guy actors. They put a VERY personal stamp on their roles in the way Simpsons actors never do.
Well, I don't think it was wrong at all as they did it out of respect of their late VAs.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Well, I don't think it was wrong at all as they did it out of respect of their late VAs.
It was wrong because it set a dangerous precedent for animation. Imagine if Warner Bros retired Bugs Bunny and the rest of the Looney Tunes out of "respect" for Mel Blanc. It's a bad idea period.

Also not to put too fine a point on it, but for Simpsons actors, it's always been simply a job. For all of them. Maybe Yeardley Smith feels a personal connection to Lisa, but she's the only one, and she and the rest of the cast don't feel a personal connection to each other or the producers. One of the astounding things I learned from the Inside The Actor's Studio episode for The Simpsons was that none of the voice actors actually knew anything about each other. This is not a group of people who hung around together after work and were friends. I think the Family Guy cast feels a kinship with each other and its guest stars The Simpsons does not share. I also think Family Guy is rare there which is why I don't think retiring characters is appropriate for the rest of animation either.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Whether or not a cartoon character should be recast after the original VA's death should be a case-by-case basis.

Two SpongeBob characters, Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, have been silent since their VAs deaths. But the title character, and thus the franchise, should not continue after Tom Kenny is gone.

And there have been TV shows that have ended while still very strong ratings-wise. Two broadcast TV shows actually ranked #1 in the Nielsen ratings in their final seasons - The Andy Griffith Show and Seinfeld.

Given all this, Nick should wrap up the SpongeBob mothership sometime in the next few years, give it a series finale that does justice to the show, unlike The Casagrandes.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

did I just get threatened by breakfast cereal
I’ve come to a realization. With Superman, Unicorn, Checkered Past, and now Invincible Fight Girl, Adult Swim is straying away from their mission of being adult-only animation, one that’s even in their NAME, to get more advertisers.

The exact reason why CN Real existed.
I REALLY HOPE Adult Swim puts an episode of American Dad before Sailor Moon on Toonami Rewind, CN's shows are NOT CAPABLE giving ratings by their sheer popularity.

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.

Featured Posts