"Things You Can't Ever Have" Talkback

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013
Fun article, I really like looking at this video game stuff.

Nightmare Circus is stupefyingly real. It was actually released in Brazil, with that box art.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmare_Circus

And I actually had, maybe I still have but I can't find it, a Watara Supervision. It's kinda like a lower tech Gameboy, something that's like an evolutionary step between a Tiger LCD and a Gameboy. There's lot of blur and the games are primitive and not very good, but there was a Breakout type puzzle game on it called Crystball that I actually really liked.

[video=youtube;mook7dU2hRQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mook7dU2hRQ[/video]

Neo Yi

Joustus!
Staff member
Reporter
I want that elusive Playstation 4 artwork, it looks so froggy!

KE7JFF

If I remember right, the WATARA SUPERVISION was featured on....THE PRICE IS RIGHT around 1993 or 1994...I remember this because I was with a my grandmother who watches the show like all old people do. Now if I only remembered what the MSRP Bob Barker said it was....

Kiddington

tut tut
Donkey Kong Jr. Math only costs about $20, at the most, on Amazon. Just like that Simpsons game, the cartridge itself isn't worth squat, but an old, beat-up box apparently is (if the box is included, that is; I assume so, judging by the picture).

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
The Angry Video Game Nerd paid $250 for his nonworking Jaguar CD, so the auction Peter highlighted is actually a bargain.

Stack-Up is also valuable partly because the cartridge itself contains a special converter that can be used to play Japanese Famicom games on an American NES.

KE7JFF

Oh man, so the SNES Hands free controller was a real thing!

I remember as child, I was in the hospital for something and there was a kid across from me in this shared room that had one of those and I thought it was some homebrew contraption.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Things You Can't Ever Have: Winter 2012 Edition
http://www.platypuscomix.net/interactive/thingsyoucanteverhave5.html

Remember the Chrono Cross clock from the first edition? It showed up again, and this time, I bought it:

chronoclock.JPG

Now I have to decide whether or not to actually use it....

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

I am a DuMont production.
There is a good reason why Phear looks like a Tetrisphere knock off: Phear eventually became the Tetrisphere game.

mimitchi33

Lovely, in my most wonderful way!

Thanks for RUINING THE FUN OF THE NOVELTY AND NOSTALIGA OF STAYING AT A HOTEL!

eBay seller: You're welcome!

The funniest part of the article was this:
If you don't remember "Hot Cross Buns" being used in a Mario game, your memories aren't faulty. This is a book of generic school sheet music that just uses the characters.
:D

John Pannozzi

Leggo my Eggo, mouth breather!
Need we take a knock at Kevin Eastman. He's almost certainly not at liberty to discuss what's planned for the next Turtles film, ya know, NDAs and all. And I'm frankly surprised so many people on this forum are just accepting Michael Bay's very vague quote about Alien Turtles at face value. The dude said Megatron wouldn't be in Revenge of the Fallen, and look what happened there. And go back and look at who made the ooze that mutated the Turtles back in the original comics (and the 2003 animated series).

If ya want to make fun of Eastman, make fun of how shallow most of his non-TMNT comics work. And I'm not just saying this because I meet him at the Boston Comic Con earlier this year and found him to be a true gentleman.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Need we take a knock at Kevin Eastman. He's almost certainly not at liberty to discuss what's planned for the next Turtles film, ya know, NDAs and all. And I'm frankly surprised so many people on this forum are just accepting Michael Bay's very vague quote about Alien Turtles at face value. The dude said Megatron wouldn't be in Revenge of the Fallen, and look what happened there. And go back and look at who made the ooze that mutated the Turtles back in the original comics (and the 2003 animated series).

If ya want to make fun of Eastman, make fun of how shallow most of his non-TMNT comics work. And I'm not just saying this because I meet him at the Boston Comic Con earlier this year and found him to be a true gentleman.

But Bay has never said "when I said alien turtles, I REALLY meant the OOZE was alien." You'd think with a public outcry like that, if such a thing was true he'd want to correct everybody fast.

And no, it's not an NDA problem if the ooze has been alien before. In that case, what would they be hiding?

John Pannozzi

Leggo my Eggo, mouth breather!
But Bay has never said "when I said alien turtles, I REALLY meant the OOZE was alien." You'd think with a public outcry like that, if such a thing was true he'd want to correct everybody fast.

And no, it's not an NDA problem if the ooze has been alien before. In that case, what would they be hiding?

Well, Bay did say that would include all the elements fans love about TMNT, so I'm thinking the planned alien origin was/is more complex can you and others are assuming.

But in any case, with all the delays and whatnot, it might be a minor miracle if the next TMNT movie turns out to be any good. If Laird had held on to the franchise, we may have gotten a film true to the original comics. Good things have occured as part of the Nick buyout (the IDW stuff, and Laird seems to be spending more time with his family and friends), though what the new movie will be seems uncertain.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Today, there's TWICE as much!
http://www.platypuscomix.net/interactive/thingsyoucanteverhave7.html

Two additions. One, the Nintendo Complete Display Unit is still for sale:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-M8...710?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6f6e9406
I hope Pat Contri (the NES Punk) manages to get it. I don't know if one of those bids is his, but he is aware this is up.

Two, an even rarer display has been found, so rare that until now, no one knew if it even existed in the wild: the M1! The original light-up NES display from the system's launch in NYC!

2zoc0ty.jpg
It was in a warehouse somewhere in LA. The finder plans to keep it, not sell it, though, so I didn't include this one.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

They should file a lawsuit against MeTV Toons for stealing the classic cartoons away from Boomerang. Boomerang found the classic cartoons first.
Shiloh Otter wrote on LinusFan303's profile.
I will miss your use of Mouse as your pfp, but since your name is LinusFan303, having Linus as your pfp only makes sense.
I haven't seen a channel launch as promising as MeTV Toons since The Hub. Let's hope their similarities don't extend to fate.
Happy 8th Anniversary to the Loud House! I still enjoy the show, mostly.
I don't care what anyone says, The Super Friends version of the origin of Batman was pretty effective for 1980s Saturday morning TV. Plus, Alfred telling young Bruce Wayne it's time to go when visiting his parents' graves just tugs at the heartstrings.

Featured Posts