The New Toonami Ratings Thread (now with more civility!)

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
The Black Clover slump continues with a loss of 64K, but JoJo actually improved only losing 24K. Black Clover's 2:00 ratings were rancid compared to where it was before the move. I think it will do way better at 1:30. 2 is when people check out and sleep, I guess. That also means JoJo is getting stuck in the 2:00 slot and doomed to losing lots of viewers from Black Clover. I think Adult Swim has lower standards for that slot and they know retention is seldom good at all in that slot.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
2GJsPdM.jpg

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
Nice stronger week even if the top performance is lower than last week, the demos after mostly rose well enough.

Almost makes make wonder with Shippuden doing better than JJBA yet again is if they ought to keep the latter at 2:30 and Naruto at 2 as It's not leading in to another premier anyway. Can't imagine they expect that much out of repeats.

wjbraden

Nice stronger week even if the top performance is lower than last week, the demos after mostly rose well enough.

Almost makes make wonder with Shippuden doing better than JJBA yet again is if they ought to keep the latter at 2:30 and Naruto at 2 as It's not leading in to another premier anyway. Can't imagine they expect that much out of repeats.
That also miffs me to see JoJo getting those kind of numbers.
Just as an fyi, the numbers after 3:00 am are almost always going to be inflated (for premieres at least) because they include same-day DVR viewership, so it's not quite fair to judge the performance of shows at 2:30 that don't get that bump.

That being said, Jojo just isn't as popular as the likes of Shippuden, so it is what it is. Hopefully it'll do a little better when it moves up next week though.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
A reminder that JoJo and Black Clover are moving up, which may help as both shows have really struggled late. SAO didn't lose to later shows unlike last week, but its retention wasn't that great.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Full ratings. MHA gets over 600K for the first time in a while and Detroit Smashes its previous chart record, charting at number 5. I didn't know if a non-Dragonball anime could ever chart in the top 5, but it happened. It might not be a Dragonball level hit, but MHA is still probably the third, maybe second most popular anime to ever hit America, as it is only behind Dragonball and maybe Naruto at its mid 00s peak in terms of popularity. As per usual when the first Toonami show does good, the second show has a huge drop, especially in demo. MHA has an astounding .31 and Dr. Stone had a .23. It still charted in the top 25 at number 12, so it's still doing fine. SAO had another week of losing to shows after it, getting beat by Fire Force and Demon Slayer by a smidge in the charts, each show charting at #20, #18, and #19 respectively. The franchise seems to be losing its ratings touch the previous seasons and the first half of season 3 had. Demon Slayer beating Food Wars and even SAO shows why it was promoted. For the last week of their timeslots, Black Clover and JoJo had their usual huge drops. Let's see how the new schedule affects their performance, as they are clearly the two worst performers right now.

11:00My Hero Academia6050.31
11:30Dr. Stone4420.23
12:00aSword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld3950.21
12:30aFire Force4060.21
1:00aFood Wars!3840.20
1:30aDemon Slayer3890.21
2:00aBlack Clover3370.18
2:30aJojo’s Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind2640.14
3:00aNaruto: Shippuden2670.14
3:30aThe Promised Neverland (r)2080.12
4:00aAttack on Titan (r)1930.12

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
Interesting that only MHA went down just a tenth in the demo vs last week while up in approx total viewers whereas everything else went up nicely compared to last week.

JJBA with a nice gain 30m earlier vs last week, while the demo was the exact same for BC in the same time slot last week. BC itself didn't garner as much a gain from last week though. 30m earlier but slightly just steady.

Strange though how TPN repeat tied Shippuden in the demo, but had nearly 1K more in the viewer demo, while both lost to AoT repeat in viewer demo, but all three still tie.

Great night for Toonami.

wjbraden

My hero's been doing so good lately, I hope they don't screw up its momentum by taking a week off, and changing it's timeslot to boot when it returns. They better promote the hell out of the break and new timeslot in the form of a topical is all I can say.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
MHA did even better in the charts, as it made it to number 5, another top 5 performance. 5 top 25 shows, 4 in the top 10 and one just outside is great. SAO beat Dr. Stone and charted just outside the top 5, so it has some power even though it's first few weeks were a little weaker than we expect from the franchise. Moving up didn't seem to help Black Clover as it had the second biggest loss in the demo, losing 53K viewers. Weird that nothing seems to get it out of its slump as it went from having the best retention to the worst (not counting the MHA to Stone drop as the drop from show number one to show number 2 is always the worst). Why are viewers turning the TV off as soon as Black Clover comes on when it used to not turn viewers off?

#5 MHA
#7 SAO
#9 Dr. Stone
#10 Demon Slayer
#12 Food Wars
#31 JoJo

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Full ratings. Hard to get a handle on how SAO is doing as it seems inconsistent. It lost 62K in the demo and lost to Food Wars and Black Clover. Considering the fact that Pop Team Epic consistently lost to shows after it yet was considered a success suggests that this is not a big deal and SAO's retention is rarely this bad. In the past, we always heard it is a consistent ratings winner, so I can't write it off just yet. Not surprised that Demon Slayer did great. Big surprise is Black Clover beating Food Wars, something I wouldn't be surprised about before the slump but am surprised about now. Like Black Clover, Boruto had a ridiculously long slump of terrible ratings before rebounding and eventually trouncing the show that came before it. Is Black Clover going to be the same and have feast and famine periods in the ratings? JoJo's performance still isn't good as it lost 50K from Black Clover even though Black Clover did better. Good news is that MHA continues to be in the top 10, and we got 4 top 25 shows.

11:00#8 My Hero Academia5810.27348
11:30#18 Dr. Stone4460.22279
12:00a#30 Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld3520.17217
12:30a#22 Demon Slayer3640.20253
1:00a#25 Food Wars!3420.17225
1:30aBlack Clover3360.18229
2:00a#42 Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind2600.14179
2:30aNaruto: Shippuden2390.13167
3:00aThe Promised Neverland (r)2370.12156
3:30aAttack on Titan (r)2120.11145

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
JoJo didn't lose that much in the demo compared to last week, actually doing really well. Black Clover's one good week seems to be a fluke as it's back to losing big. Don't think eiter show can can two good weeks in a row. Dr. Stone charted at an okay #12, so maybe Toonami can survive without a Dragonball or MHA caliber AAA show.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
A few shocks, such as MHA doing significantly worse than Dr. Stone last week in the demo despite doing similar in overall numbers. It had about 50K fewer viewers. The chart positions were also ugly compared to normal, with MHA at #16 and SAO charted at #36, leaving us with only one top 25 show. I think chart positions matter more than overall ratings, so the schedule change really hurt and casual Toonami watchers probably thought it was still on at 11. Let's see if people start to get in the know. Still, that doesn't explain SAO's huge drop. Let's just hope it's an off week. Black Clover and JoJo actually did okay as they retained well and JoJo somehow beat Black Clover in the demo. One bright spot in a night where MHA and SAO tanked.

wjbraden

A few shocks, such as MHA doing significantly worse than Dr. Stone last week in the demo despite doing similar in overall numbers. It had about 50K fewer viewers. The chart positions were also ugly compared to normal, with MHA at #16 and SAO charted at #36, leaving us with only one top 25 show. I think chart positions matter more than overall ratings, so the schedule change really hurt and casual Toonami watchers probably thought it was still on at 11. Let's see if people start to get in the know. Still, that doesn't explain SAO's huge drop. Let's just hope it's an off week. Black Clover and JoJo actually did okay as they retained well and JoJo somehow beat Black Clover in the demo. One bright spot in a night where MHA and SAO tanked.

Well for starters, the whole 'two-week break and timeslot change' combo likely confused the hell out of most MHA viewers. And two, the entire lead-in block performed badly with the last-minute removal of Bob's Burgers and subbing in of Boondocks and Rick & Morty (it was so bad, they've changed the schedule AGAIN, now for the third week in a row).

The bottom line is, they should have kept MHA & Toonami at 11:00, and put in SOMETHING to replace Dr. Stone (even a temporary Dragon Ball Super rerun would have been better imo) to prevent MHA from losing the momentum it was having there for a little while, getting up over 600k. Even Sam Jack & Primal did worse than what Promised Neverland and Attack on Titan were doing (And I know that taking a week off for MHA was likely beyond their control, as Funimation doesn't want the block's run too close to their simuldub, and I know they've said costs have been an issue in keeping reruns around, but still I think they could have figured some things out).

It's like every time they start finding a schedule that's working, they go and change it, and the result is always disastrous. A little lesson in consistency would do them a lot of good, I think.

Light Lucario

Staff member
They did at least try to promote the new starting time for MHA with that recent promo, but it might not have been enough. Despite how they generally don't want to go through too many shows on their lineup to keep the block from changing too much, their schedules are always so inconsistent and they seemingly change on a dime.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I still don't get why they yanked the 11:00 spot from Toonami. MHA did top ten numbers there, but it can't get into the top 15 in its new spot. At least, for week one of the new schedule.

wjbraden

I still don't get why they yanked the 11:00 spot from Toonami. MHA did top ten numbers there, but it can't get into the top 15 in its new spot. At least, for week one of the new schedule.
They likely thought that having more Fox shows as a lead in would benefit Toonami as it has in the past. It might have, if they wouldn't have had to pull Bob's Burgers at the last second for whatever reason. Still their over-reliance on Fox and the same 30-odd Rick and Morty episodes are going to be their undoing, considering Am Dad is the only Fox going to be around soon and R&M comes out at a snail's pace.

However, Toonami and the rest of Saturday night isn't the only one getting shafted, the weeknight and sunday lineups have been fluctuating practically every other week since the beginning of the year. So who knows what's exactly going on in programming.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Since it's May the Fourth, might as well post this bit of trivia:

DePatie–Freleng Enterprises- known for The Pink Panther, mid-60s Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies, many Dr. Seuss specials, The Bod Squad, and Time for Timer- handled the lightsaber effects for Episode IV.
I wonder if the new Dexter's Lab set will have Rude Removal on it. They were okay with putting The Whoopass Girls on the PPG set many years ago that they were advertising on Cartoon Network (albeit they muted every time it was said in the pilot). This set's clearly for adults.
They should file a lawsuit against MeTV Toons for stealing the classic cartoons away from Boomerang. Boomerang found the classic cartoons first.
Shiloh Otter wrote on LinusFan303's profile.
I will miss your use of Mouse as your pfp, but since your name is LinusFan303, having Linus as your pfp only makes sense.
I haven't seen a channel launch as promising as MeTV Toons since The Hub. Let's hope their similarities don't extend to fate.

Featured Posts