"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012)" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

John Pannozzi

Leggo my Eggo, mouth breather!
Over at the Technodrome forums, someone involving with Nick (TV's Kyle, a noted cartoonist who I believe was a member of these boards at one point), spilled a few details regarding the new TMNT cartoon:

Hey guys. I work at Nickelodeon on *ahem* Fanboy and Chum Chum. They had a studio screening of the TMNT pilot in full color animatic form. I can't tell you much about it because I don't want to get fired, of course. Here's what I can tell you:

-The show will be in CG. They showed us a little test clip of Leo swinging his katana around. It looked amazing.

-This is a big reboot. They are not afraid to change things drastically to make the story they want to tell better including character relationships. This is a completely new Turtle universe.

-The show has found a really nice place between action and comedy. The action is impressive and the comedy is truly laugh out loud funny.

-This version of the turtles focusses far, far more on the "teenage" part than any other previous versions of the turtles. This is a good thing. It really brings something fresh and new to the concept.

Bonus info: I watched this sat next to my Fanboy and Chum Chum director, Mr Ken Mitchroney. He agreed, "they nailed it".

I can't really answer more than that, but having been a turtle fan since 1987, this is exciting stuff.

What I saw wasn't a full pilot, but a full-color animatic. An animatic is essentially a presentation of the storyboard. They're not usually in color like this, however. No clue on a release date, but if they really get moving from now, they could have some stuff ready by the end of the year, I bet. That's pure speculation on my part. I have no idea how the network intends to proceed. I doubt they'll rush it. With this much hit potential on their hands, you can bet they'll tread very strategically.

This version of turtles seems to have something for a broader age range than any previous version, imo. I don't consider the show campy. The laughs are genuine and the story hits all the right beats.

I only saw a small clip of actual animation, so it's hard to say. I can tell you that there are a lot of Teen Titans folks on the show and it shows-- and while I liked Teen Titans, this show seems far more consistent in tone and quality.

I can tell you this: The little clip of actual animation I saw was impressive, and the level of CG on our network (Fanboy, Penguins, the upcoming Kung Fu Panda) is bar-raising for TV, imo.

I only happen to know who one of the other voice actors is, and I couldn't figure out the rest by listening. Regardless, if you guys don't know, I probably shouldn't be telling you.

zoombie

So will the Turtles actully go to school? Will there be a lot of romantic tension like on the new Young Justice show? Intresting.

zoombie

If they want to take risks, how about they don't live in seclussion, go to school, have their friends, either everyone knows about their excistence and for some reason there is no objection to their excistence because they are heros, or Donnie invented something that lets them have a human faces like Mark Change from Fairly Odd Parents.

Some people object to them having love interstes, I want them to have love interests. What is wrong with that? I at least want one or even two of them to have their classmates assuming they are in school as love interests.

brickrrb2

If they want to take risks, how about they don't live in seclussion, go to school, have their friends, either everyone knows about their excistence and for some reason there is no objection to their excistence because they are heros, or Donnie invented something that lets them have a human faces like Mark Change from Fairly Odd Parents.

Some people object to them having love interstes, I want them to have love interests. What is wrong with that? I at least want one or even two of them to have their classmates assuming they are in school as love interests.

Let's not and stick with what has worked for YEARS, Let's stay the course

CyberCubed

Where the heck did the idea that they were going to school come from?

All he said was it focuses on the teenage aspect of their characters, nothing to do with school.

brickrrb2

Where the heck did the idea that they were going to school come from?

All he said was it focuses on the teenage aspect of their characters, nothing to do with school.

90's style teens right?

Over at the Technodrome forums, someone involving with Nick (TV's Kyle, a noted cartoonist who I believe was a member of these boards at one point), spilled a few details regarding the new TMNT cartoon:

What did Leo look like?

MOD NOTE: Try not to double post. If you can fit it in one comment, then do so.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'll be interested in seeing what the turtles look like in this new CG series. It might be an improvement over how they looked in the TMNT movie. I'm also glad to hear that they have a balance between action and comedy. I was hoping that they would be able to find a middle ground so that the series isn't too dark or too light-hearted, which might be the case given this information. As for the teenage life-style, I think it's a bit of a jump to say that they'll be going to school based on that. Maybe they'll add more of the typical teenage issues during their adventures, but not have it school-based. I actually wouldn't mind that they focus on the fact that they're teenagers since that would be something different compared to what the 2k3 series did. Hopefully, they'll be able to release some images of the characters or a trailer in the not too distant future.

Daxdiv

Does this look like the face of mercy?
A nice blend of comedy and action you say? I look forward to seeing how this plays out. Also, I was expecting this to be a reboot anyway, so that detail doesn't surprise me.

Interested in seeing what they plan to do with the "Teenage" part of the TMNT, considering that the other shows really didn't touch up on that detail.

RonDrakenfan17

Luffy fan
What teens? I'd rather them just be on action not teenager things that I could get from those live action teen shows :shrug: Gee I wonder if that Leo/Kai stuff will be the on and off romance in the series :sweat:

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
The fact that the staff behind Fanboy and Chum Chum found the animatic to be good frightens me.

zoombie

What teens? I'd rather them just be on action not teenager things that I could get from those live action teen shows :shrug: Gee I wonder if that Leo/Kai stuff will be the on and off romance in the series :sweat:

If the people from Teen Titans are part of it, I know what characters they are going to use as a blue print. Maybe Kai will be turned to stone, and than later she claims not to know Leo.

CyberCubed

The Turtles always do, "teenage" things in every version, so I don't see what the big deal is here.

King_of_doom

kiva fan
If this is what they have plans for the Turtles don't know what they will do with the Shredder...........instead of adding the Shredder they just put Bebop and Rocksteady in his place, i didn't had high hopes for this new show anyway.

John Pannozzi

Leggo my Eggo, mouth breather!
The fact that the staff behind Fanboy and Chum Chum found the animatic to be good frightens me.

To be fair, Ken Mitchroney WAS the artist on some of the issues of the celebrated Archie-published TMNT Adventures comic book. I think I'll take his word over people who have never seen anything from this upcoming show.

RonDrakenfan17

Luffy fan
If the people from Teen Titans are part of it, I know what characters they are going to use as a blue print. Maybe Kai will be turned to stone, and than later she claims not to know Leo.

That'd break Leo's heart though :p
Holy crap, I didn't even think of Shredder yah what the heck can they do with him here?? Be Principle of there school? Ahh I can already imagine the theme song :shrug:

PC!

lolwut?
The comments in this thread are making me laugh out loud. The Shredder as the principal of the turtles' school...that would be amazing. XD

Hey, if we have some Teen Titans alums working on this thing, I'll definitely give it a shot.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Uh I thought the plan was to have the Turtles Cartoon Air in 2012. I mean he even says at the end some stuff may be ready by the end of the year but they obviously want at least a half season's worth of material before they start airing the series so we're still looking at next year for an air date as has already been stated several times since we knew that this series was being made for Nick.

I really don't know why you guys keep tossing around romance and school and the like when there's been no mention of the sort. Here's all that's been mentioned of the show.

The show will be in CG. They showed us a little test clip of Leo swinging his katana around. It looked amazing.

From what I remember the original 4Kids Ninja Turtles was going to be in CG (thus why they have the turtles van in CG) and going to be quite different from the turtles show we got. So I don't see any surprise in this show being CG. I doubt it will be 2007 TMNT movie quality CG but if it's Penguins of Madasgacar level that's still pretty good.

-This is a big reboot. They are not afraid to change things drastically to make the story they want to tell better including character relationships. This is a completely new Turtle universe.

I guess this is where people bring up romance bu really it just says different character relationships. Hey as long as they aren't adding in a 5th Turtle and there's still a feel of the four as brothers then it's still all good. I hope.

-The show has found a really nice place between action and comedy. The action is impressive and the comedy is truly laugh out loud funny.

So what you're saying is that there's going to be lots of action and comedy in this series eh? Then uh why is brickrrb2 saying it will be an "emo drama" then if it's an action comedy/mix? Of course people always clain action as impressive and comedy as laugh out loud funny when trying to promote a show and of course some of thsoe things are subjecive so once again wait and see.

-This version of the turtles focusses far, far more on the "teenage" part than any other previous versions of the turtles. This is a good thing. It really brings something fresh and new to the concept.

I haven't watched much of the 80's series, and I've only seen like half of 4Kids TMNT turtles but it does seem despite their attidue sometimes and extreme gear they don't often act like teenagers. Yeah they get their guidance from Splinter but that's the closest it ever comes to them seeming like teenagers really.

I only saw a small clip of actual animation, so it's hard to say. I can tell you that there are a lot of Teen Titans folks on the show and it shows-- and while I liked Teen Titans, this show seems far more consistent in tone and quality.

I'm all for throwing Teen Titans refrences where they don't belong but I doubt it will be a lot like TT. (I always did want to see a Turtles and Titans crossover though but like that would ever happen. Maybe we'll get a refrence to the Titans though in this series at least in the background) . Espiecally if it's suppose to be a CG series. Hmmm it will be interesting trying to pick up on the TT influence in a CG series that's for sure.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The rumor about MeTV Toons launching on June 25th has been deleted. Now there's no word on whether the channel will launch or not.
Happy 25th Anniversary to SpongeBob SquarePants!

The official Bluey channel on YouTube has uploaded the "Dad Baby" episode in full, meaning that it is finally legally available to American fans.

MAW Superman and Unicorn WE seem to have done well, and Invincible Fight Girl and Iyanu: Child of Wonder sound interesting. It's good to see CN embracing action again, but I hope they haven't forgotten comedy.

Featured Posts