"Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse" Animated Feature News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClodClavo

Sony, Marvel Discussed Spider-Man Movie Crossover - WSJ

Among projects in development are an animated Spider-Man comedy that would be produced by Chris Miller and Phil Lord, the team behind “22 Jump Street” and “The Lego Movie,”

Mod Note: Content added. Post more than just a link next time, please.

December 9th, 2017

The official title is "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse", and it's set for a theatrical release on December 14, 2018.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sonic_Eclipse

Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!
I'd rather they continue or make the film a spiritual successor to The Spectacular Spider-Man. No, instead we get Ultimate Spider-Man: The Movie.

Sony, this better be good.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Boy am I torn. Phil and Chris are the funniest writers working in Hollywood today that aren't Tina Fey.

But I don't WANT a zany wacky farce done with Spider-Man. If there's any evidence that Disney needs control back, it's this...

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Yeah, I'm already tired of action/comedy cartoons. Sony is being all over the place with Spider-Man. Its sad.

JoeMabbon

Dreadful Child
I wouldn't mind seeing more animated superhero features, especially if the humor is in line with The Incredibles or Big Hero 6. But yeah, like Gold Guy said, it feels like Sony is just throwing ideas against the wall and hoping that something sticks. It all reeks of desperation.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'd rather they continue or make the film a spiritual successor to The Spectacular Spider-Man. No, instead we get Ultimate Spider-Man: The Movie.

Sony, this better be good.

I would absolutely love a continuation for Spectacular Spider-Man as either a new series or a series of direct to DVD movies. I wish that was the news instead of this. I would just be extremely happy since the series was so good and cut tragically short.

While I'm also kind of tired of so many comedy series coming out, I've heard good things about the writers involved, so at least it has potential to be funny. I might check it out after we get some more details about it.

Spider-Man

Sony would clearly never do that, but that doesn't mean fans can't wish for it. And we get it - you're not a big fan of the show. Much like how you wished for Thundercats or Wolverine and The X-Men to return, a fan did that here with Spectacular Spider-Man and there is nothing wrong with that, so ease off a little. Let the fans imagine the possibility - there's no harm in it.

While the creative team on this proposed movie is great I'm not sure it would do the brand any good. It doesn't seem like the right approach especially if Sony is trying to turn things around. Although honestly the idea of a big-screen animated movie with a big budget retelling the early years of Spider-Man after he got bit is actually a bit appealing to me as long as they brought an equal balance of comedy, drama and action to it.

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
We currently have an animated comedy Spider-Man show, but this movie has the potential to w funny with the creative team behind it.

I sincerely doubt it will get made, but it would be nice to see an animated Spidey on the big screen, although we do not need another origin story.

Sketch

not like those other old guys
I feel the irony of this is that comedy focused films are what people expected Disney to do with Marvel.

Aquadementia

That's a lot of Mulaney!
Staff member
Sony does have Genndy Tartakovsky working for them.

Live action I would want to see him with other heroes. On his own, I think it's great they are doing an animated feature film.
The number of live action super movies has gone from thirst quenching to glut. It will be good to do something different with one.

Boy am I torn. Phil and Chris are the funniest writers working in Hollywood today that aren't Tina Fey.

But I don't WANT a zany wacky farce done with Spider-Man. If there's any evidence that Disney needs control back, it's this...

He's juggling girlfriends. Has an overbearing boss. Tries to be the good sonish nephew. It's like he has four jobs he's juggling plus there's the worry about letting his red and blue skivvies show after making a quick change.
I really WANT zany wacky farce done with Spider-Man. It'd be a shame if it isn't.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
As much as I love Spec Spidey's continuity, a spiritual successor is nigh impossible without Vic Cook and Weisman, especially if Lord and Miller end up helming the project.
One thing is guaranteed, this will be funnier than any Spidey flick to date and superior to any episode of Ultimate Spiderman.
Even funnier -> this garners more critical and commercial acclaim than either the recent or previous live-action slates.
Yet...Sony exec's will still somehow find a way to screw this pooch.

Darth_Cygnus

Sounds weird Sony would make more Spider-related projects. They have a full schedule with Sinister Six, Venom, the female lead movie, and Amazing 3.
We´ll see what happens.

Won´t be funnier or superior by default though.

Darth Cygnus

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
I doubt its even a done deal. I think its just something they are kicking around as a possible way to reboot Spider-Man.

Jeff Robinov pitched a deal to a complete live-action reboot with Peter Parker in his adult years and to not retell the origin story. I'm not sure what Robinov's capacity is with Sony or Spider-Man, but he doesn't want Amy Pascal to make a deal with Spider-Man.

Get this though, Jeff Robinov even suggested Pascal get Stan Lee create a new character to introduce into the films for Spider-Man to team with.

Miyamoto Musashi

Law Enforcer
No, nonono, no.
Personally, I found the LEGO movie to be overrated and low on entertainment value, and the Jump Street movies look appalling to me.
Sony have no idea what they want to do with Spider-Man at all.
Apparently.
I think they will run Spider-Man's cinema reputation to the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts