"Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse" Animated Feature News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philmister978

Alvight, you vin
No, nonono, no.
Personally, I found the LEGO movie to be overrated and low on entertainment value, and the Jump Street movies look appalling to me.

Then you probably won't like Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs then. Or Clone High.

On topic, I feel like while this would be a nice change of pace from the semi-serious Live action films. I feel that Sony's going to screw this up like they did the reboot films.

Fusion

This would be more of the same, and lowering the bar even more. It seems adding comedy to these shows, keeps the children's attention more; easy association and a better emotion to latch onto.

With Sony's issues at present, I do hope this doesn't come to pass.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
With the recent news, I wonder what the chances are of any type of animated movie somewhere down the line.

ClodClavo

From the official press release

LAS VEGAS, April 22, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- On July 20, 2018, Phil Lord & Christopher Miller, the directors of The Lego Movie, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and 21 and 22 Jump Street, are taking Spider-Man back to his graphic roots with the first-of-its-kind animated Spider-Man feature, it was announced today at CinemaCon by Tom Rothman, chairman of the Sony Pictures Entertainment Motion Picture Group. The film will exist independently of the projects in the live-action Spider-Man universe, all of which are continuing.

Lord & Miller are masterminding the project, writing the treatment and producing the film.

As previously announced, Spider-Man will next appear in a live-action Marvel film from Marvel's Cinematic Universe (MCU). Sony Pictures will thereafter release the next installment of its $4 billion Spider-Man franchise, on July 28, 2017, a live-action film being produced by Kevin Feige at Marvel and Amy Pascal, who oversaw the franchise launch for the studio 13 years ago. The animated film from Lord & Miller, dated July 20, 2018, has Avi Arad, Matt Tolmach, and Pascal also serving as producers.

Spider-Man, embraced all over the world, is the most successful franchise in the history of Sony Pictures, with the five films having taken in more than $4 billion worldwide.

Sony Confirms LEGO MOVIE Directors Will Mastermind An Animated SPIDER-MAN Film

Dsneybuf

I considered The Lego Movie one of my top three favorite movies of its year, and #1 among the few animated films I saw from that year. Another Lord and Miller movie, 22 Jump Street, would probably also have a spot in my top 10 pictures of that time. Consequently, this feels to me like the most intriguing Spider-Man adaptation in quite a while.
Even if they have to add a cutaway or chibi to appease USM fans, I trust Lord and Miller to at least make them funny to all ages.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
Even if they have to add a cutaway or chibi to appease USM fans, I trust Lord and Miller to at least make them funny to all ages.

The last thing they'll ever have to do is appease USM fans, who I guess are supposed to be kids too young to develop a serious fandom. I'm curious about whether Marvel Studios will have any type of minute involvement, and whether this will be a straightforward adaptation (though comedic) or a Lego Movie styled parody. I was hoping Sony wouldn't go after other Spidey spin-offs after the MCU partnership deal but the thought of a really good Spider-Man animated movie excites me to no end. Sony Animation could really use this kind of a kick, too. I'm still a little miffed that Genndy's Popeye movie was postponed or shelved or whatever.

TheLemsterPju

The last thing they'll ever have to do is appease USM fans, who I guess are supposed to be kids too young to develop a serious fandom. I'm curious about whether Marvel Studios will have any type of minute involvement, and whether this will be a straightforward adaptation (though comedic) or a Lego Movie styled parody. I was hoping Sony wouldn't go after other Spidey spin-offs after the MCU partnership deal but the thought of a really good Spider-Man animated movie excites me to no end. Sony Animation could really use this kind of a kick, too. I'm still a little miffed that Genndy's Popeye movie was postponed or shelved or whatever.

There's plenty of teenage and adult fans out there. They just can't be found on message boards very often.

the greenman

I'm kinda looking forward to this. Just can't seem to muster enough doubt to start complaining. These guys are a hot sell right now, and tackling Spidey should be really fun. Watch it be better than every Spidey film we've seen.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
The film will exist independently of the projects in the live-action Spider-Man universe, all of which are continuing.

*Sighs* Seriously Sony? Still wasting money on those projects? Look we know you lost, and you know you lost. It's pretty clear that there is no POINT of a Spider-Man cinematic universe when you guys are now working with the MCU. Just let it goooooooooooooo. Especially when you now have another venue for Spidey to consider.

Because see this actually makes having a totally different Spider-Man series going on at the same time as MCU make sense: to have it be an animated film. And I admitted The Lego Movie is one of my favorite films of the last half decade so that gives it another plus if they can bring that brilliance into this picture. I hope it's like the MTV Animated Spider-Man that allow the fights to be more visercial and fast paced because though Spectacular Spiderman is still the best animated spider man, MTV's did have the edge in battles because they go places you couldn't in just a kids show. And to have that freedom of PG-13 in an animated action feature would be worth checking out. So yeah I'm exited for that... still annoyed Sinister Six and Venom are things connected to a universe that really doesn't honestly exist anymore but whatever.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
There's plenty of teenage and adult fans out there. They just can't be found on message boards very often.

They aren't the fans Marvel Animation cares about and I doubt they're significant enough in size for Sony to deliberately try appealing to.

Dsneybuf

Part of me wonders if children introduced to Spider-Man through USM consider the cutaways an integral part of his cartoons, though if Lord and Miller do decide to do away with the cutaways, hopefully the means of comedy they use instead entertain those kids strongly enough not to miss them.

jaylop97

Staff member
Sounds like a good Idea for Sony to star another Spider-Man for the Animated movie, it is nice to see someone other than Peter take the spotlight here, Sony did a good job with Spectacular Spider-man so the 2018 movie sounds interesting.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I hadn't even thought of the possibility of this starring Miles. If it is Miles, I'd probably not want to see a movie that was mostly comedy, especially with him not being that established already. Lord and Miller haven't let me down on the movie front yet though so hopefully this turns out great. It would also be interesting to see if a superhero movie works for Sony Animation. I'm a little disappointed that they passed on Genndy's Popeye.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
If Miles is the lead, which I think would be cool, it would be a good way of distinguishing the two Spider-Man movies (Homecoming and the animated version), and putting Miles out there in such a big way might mean they don't rush a switch and Holland can be the MCU Spider-Man for the long-haul :).

JoeMabbon

Sheriff
Sounds like a good Idea for Sony to star another Spider-Man for the Animated movie, it is nice to see someone other than Peter take the spotlight here, Sony did a good job with Spectacular Spider-man so the 2018 movie sounds interesting.

I hope Greg Weisman is involved in some way. I enjoy Lord and Miller, but he was the man responsible for Spectacular.

It would also be interesting to see if a superhero movie works for Sony Animation. I'm a little disappointed that they passed on Genndy's Popeye.

I was really looking forward to Genndy's Popeye, too.

Greg91

Reporter
If Miles is the lead hero, it would be cool to see Sony make bi-annual animated Spider-Man movies featuring heroes other than Peter Parker. An animated Spider-Man 2099 movie or a Spider-Gwen movie would be so sweet! And if the 2018 Spider-Man movie does feature Peter Parker, maybe Sony could make a sequel based on Spider-Verse with a small group of spider-heroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.
It's interesting how Disney Junior is rebranding, first with the logo, and now educational curriculum being developed under Disney Junior Education And Inclusion rather than the Disney Junior Educational Resource Group.

Featured Posts