"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 7 (Spoilers)

Kevin's

In the continuation of Marvel's spider-man I w
This is just a list of the potential plots that a continuation of "Marvel's Spider-Man" could use, based on resolved matters from the series. (There are quite a lot).

+ The first time ever that we have both Miles Warren and the Jackal in a series, and we don't have Spider-Clones? THAT is a tremendous fiasco!! If we get a continuation, we should have Kaine, Ben Reilly and... Maybe Ultimate Jessica Drew?

+ The whole plot about what happened to Sandman should be answered, also give us a potential solution to restore them as a family. Come on! Disney owns Marvel now, so they should give a chance to this family to make amends.

+ Swarm is definitely a plot to be resolved, and find a way to restore him back to human. I also would like a way they COULD somehow bring Rio Morales to the series. I mean, I'm not really confortable with Miles now being "orphan".

+ The Lizard is another plot to be solved, without a doubt. He was a jerk, even if he was blackmailed by Osborn for something it never existed. But Spidey is one of those guys who can't avoid to help everybody, even his enemies.

+ Doc Ock is a big plot to be solved too. Yeah, I know he's supposed to be dead, but I found really ridiculous for a character to "die" in a kid's show (except for Uncle Ben). If by any chance, Jackal and the Spider-Clones would be used next, then we could have the return of the "Superior Spider-Man" just like in the comics, with a clone body.

+ Spider-Island was one of the biggest stories of the series, but I don't think ALL the consequences from it were avoided. I mean, I know many people don't like every member of Spider-Man's cast having powers, but it would be very funny if (just like Spider-Gwen), something reactivated Aunt May's spider-powers in a time of need. (She's a close relative to Peter, after all). Of course Aunt May wouldn't wear a costume but, Aunt May with Spider-Powers? Many supervillains would think again before messing with the Parker family again. And it would be funny if Mary Jane ends up revealing to have powers too, just like in the comics.

+ Eddie Brock was abandoned in the series, and with Venom jumping from host to host continuously, I don't see any logic reason for him to be bonded to Venom again. However, MAYBE it could be bonded to another symbiote. Maybe Anti-Venom, like in the comics? That would be interesting and a good way for Eddie to remain relevant, in case other symbiotes return.

+ At the end of the fifth special, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we have Norman Osborn, Jackal and Chameleon knowing Peter Parker's secret identity. And you know what happens when the bad guys knows the hero's secret identity; they attack you in you own backyard. I personally would love to see Norman trying to kidnap Aunt May and, regaining spider-powers, he pulls his Goblin's ear in a such humilliating defeat or something.

+ Peter and MJ on a relationship is something I really wanted to see again in the series, something I really missed in the last season of "Ultimate Spider-Man". It would turn the series more interesting; I mean, come on!, how can you make a series with teenagers and they don't even have their hormones "haywire"? Besides, like in the comics, she could discover of her own Peter is Spider-Man and get more involved in his life.

+ I don't count with Venom, Grendel, Scream, Scorn and Mania being really destroyed. Pretty sure they will return, and I would like to know what happened to the Three Sister's hosts. It would be interesting if the Avengers could help them somehow to free their home planet or something.

+ Some other plots of the series that appeared in promo material but they were apparently forgotten are Iron Spider and Spider-Man 2099 (with his second suit). They could use them again in the future, honestly.

So, what do you think?
I have other concerns too
Like about future of max

What happened to Alexi after unmasked he was not present in the dance

Don't know about scorn and maniac but I bet scream and venom are still alive
Venom stated that he created that seed and no one creates their own distraction
After venom being trough lot of experiments it has adapted to sonics and scream has a host who produces sonics
We did get a clear look at scorn and maniac but not a clear view at scream

Is marvel trying to re boot miles morals character or what
I always taught his love interest was Gwen or kamala khan but now going on a date with Anya
His father being swarm
And he is acting like a total idiot like Peter quil

Overall I liked Marvel's spider-man series

bigdaddy313

I am guessing one of you asked a question to Kevin Shinick if the web comic is a sequel to the series or it’s own continuity and he replied it’s it own continuity.

Interesting, I wonder why.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I am guessing one of you asked a question to Kevin Shinick if the web comic is a sequel to the series or it’s own continuity and he replied it’s it own continuity.

Interesting, I wonder why.
Probably because they were separately developed and Shinick hasn't been involved with the series since season 1 (I've always been kind of curious what happened there).

Another thing I wonder is if Spidey 2099 was supposed to appear, which is why he was part of some promotional art and merchandise, but they just couldn't fit him in...

bigdaddy313

Probably because they were separately developed and Shinick hasn't been involved with the series since season 1 (I've always been kind of curious what happened there).

Another thing I wonder is if Spidey 2099 was supposed to appear, which is why he was part of some promotional art and merchandise, but they just couldn't fit him in...
I am guessing Kevin Shinick had a problem with Marvel animation, as he left to write comics, which he could have done as well as continue to be a show runner.

Kevin Burke and Chris Doc Wyatt took over, which I call them "the Clean Up Crew" LOL

Frontier

Staff member
I am guessing Kevin Shinick had a problem with Marvel animation, as he left to write comics, which he could have done as well as continue to be a show runner.

Kevin Burke and Chris Doc Wyatt took over, which I call them "the Clean Up Crew" LOL
Yeah, I'm kind of wondering if Burke and Wyatt having showran the later USM seasons and knowing how to work with the Marvel Animation team helped them transition to taking over after Shinick left. They were already writing a few episodes for the show for season 1 and wrote half of the season finale.

bigdaddy313

Yeah, I'm kind of wondering if Burke and Wyatt having showran the later USM seasons and knowing how to work with the Marvel Animation team helped them transition to taking over after Shinick left. They were already writing a few episodes for the show for season 1 and wrote half of the season finale.
That sounds about write, they took over Avengers when Man of Action left, ended Ultimate Spider-Man and now Ended Marvel's Spider-Man.

Talk about trusting people to get jobs done

Frontier

Staff member
Random last minute thoughts about the show:

- This has probably been the least MCU synergy focused of all the main cartoons to come from the Loeb-era (even though this was more of a Stephen Wacker show), except for maybe Agents of SMASH, which is kind of ironic considering it owes its existence partially to the MCU Spider-Man movies. But other than the existence of a prototype costume and Vulture being the first villain, virtually nothing about this show really resembles the movies beyond some characters from other shows using their already established movie portrayals. So on that front I do appreciate the show's take.

- I think Spider-Man probably holds the record for the most a main character in a Superhero show has needed to be saved by another character on their own show. I mean, Peter's direct involvement in saving people probably balances it out enough, but it's just something amusing to think about how many times Peter has had to get bailed out on this show and before they even threw in all the other Spider-Characters.

- I'm kind of surprised they never did that story beat where the hero is forced to go back to their prototype costume when their suit gets damaged. Not that I was in love with the prototype suit, it's just a pretty common story convention.

- Despite the fact that Harry went to Horizon before Peter did, we never really saw Harry interact with Peter's friends at Horizon other than Gwen.

- I am still convinced the only reason they de-aged Otto into an 18-year old was so that he wasn't a grown man possessing the body of a teenager when they adapted Superior, which could look really creepy.

- How does Gwen Stacy have a a secret identity as Ghost Spider? The writers never really addressed this or even justified why Gwen bothered wearing a mask when she liked the attention and didn't care about her identity being public. I feel like they shouldn't have given her the full Spider-Gwen costume, sans-mask, for Spider-Island so it didn't seem so obvious that Gwen Stacy was the new white and black Spider-Hero swinging in New York because she's wearing the exact same costume she had on during Spider-Island.

- I still can't believe this show had Patton Oswalt as Uncle Ben and The Chameleon. I'm even more surprised that it actually worked (moreso for Ben than for Chameleon).

- Is it just me or did the art style revamp for both Marvel's Spider-Man and Avengers: Black Panther's Quest have a thing against long hair? It just seemed like to me they either often redesigned characters to have shorter hairstyles or just had them put up their hair all the time like Gwen does. Any character with long hair was usually only there for one appearance or didn't appear much. I guess there are exceptions like Anya or MJ with her long ponytail (and Madame Masque in Panther's Quest), but sometimes I felt like Anya appeared less than Gwen did and MJ only really appeared in four episodes. Is long hair difficult to animate even for 2D animation? I might've been the only one who noticed this (if it was even something really worth noticing).

- For all the focus they gave him and the Bugle in the first half of season 2, J. Jonah Jameson sure dropped off the face of the Earth in season 3. You'd almost think he was still voiced by JK Simmons considering how quickly it seems the show just kind of stopped using him like they stopped using Jonah in Ultimate Spider-Man. I guess the same could be said for Captain Watanabe given her focus in season 2, but I guess they couldn't fit in a cameo during the Symbiote Invasion. Heck, Flash Thompson was in seasons 1 and 2 and was actually the first Venom host but he was a no-show this season (as well as, y'know, Eddie Brock). I guess Anna Maria Marconi also didn't make sense to still be part of the cast without Otto around.

- I feel like this show had a lot of one-off characters. Clash and Shocker (although this couldn't be helped, RIP Cameron Boyce), that science teacher from Midtown, the pop star voiced Jeremy Shada, the owl guy voiced by Yuri Lowenthal (what was that all about?), Robbie Robertson, and heck Liz, Randy, and John Jameson for the amount of relevance they actually had past one episode. Hammerhead's son (who isn't even from the comics) had more speaking appearances than some characters.

- First appearance of Hobie Brown as the Prowler since the 90's cartoon.

- Did anyone miss the slow-mo during action scenes? Because I sure didn't.

- Things this show and Ultimate Spider-Man had in common: Mutant Rhino, Hydra and Crossbones, and the Symbiote itself being treated as more of a threat or villain rather than the host and the Symbiote,

- I think this is the first Spider-Man cartoon to only do the Sinister Six once (at least of the shows that actually had the Sinister Six or some form of them in it). Granted we were just coming off a season that was entirely named after them, and this is the first time Spider-Man himself has been part of the group in animated form, so maybe that offset it a little even if we never saw the team of Spiders fight the Sinister Six. And I guess Steel Spider was good enough to join the Sinister Six but not good enough to appear again after the Six were defeated.

- I feel like I can count on two hands the number of villains on this show who actually had their real names stated or used. And this show had a lot of villains, even if some of them only got 5-10 minutes of screentime.

- Electro appeared more than Sandman, Mysterio, and Kraven combined.

- As far as I can tell the only major recognizable Spider-Man villains the show never used were Tombstone, Hydro-Man, and Morbius. Carnage technically appeared counting the Guardians crossover where Thanos got his own symbiote, and that's technically the first chronological appearance of Venom too.

- I think this show probably has the record for most female villains in a Spider-Man cartoon, which I guess is kind of impressive? Although some of them were borrowed from other properties, like Crimson Dynamo or Monica Rappacini. And we had Black Cat reduced to a villain-of-the-week and Silver Sable turned into a domestic terrorist. And Screwball went from someone who commits crimes for publicity to a social activist who seemingly gets in no legal trouble for some of the stunts she pulled, but I guess it would've been weird to turn Liz into a Supervillain (not that a lot of stuff about Screwball made sense in that episode).

- They never really did anything with Norman ostensibly being Stealth Spider and helping cause Spider-Island. What was he planning to do? How did he get spider powers? Why did no one in the cast actually find out who he is?

- I think this is the first major Spider-Man cartoon (other than the MTV show) where the Green Goblin never appeared. Harry and Norman were both the Hobgoblin, Toomes was just the Goblin King and ditched the suit pretty quickly, and then Norman became the Dark Goblin. The only time Josh Keaton got to play the Green Goblin was in a Lego special.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
- For all the focus they gave him and the Bugle in the first half of season 2, J. Jonah Jameson sure dropped off the face of the Earth in season 3. You'd almost think he was still voiced by JK Simmons considering how quickly it seems the show just kind of stopped using him like they stopped using Jonah in Ultimate Spider-Man. I guess the same could be said for Captain Watanabe given her focus in season 2, but I guess they couldn't fit in a cameo during the Symbiote Invasion. Heck, Flash Thompson was in seasons 1 and 2 and was actually the first Venom host but he was a no-show this season (as well as, y'know, Eddie Brock). I guess Anna Maria Marconi also didn't make sense to still be part of the cast without Otto around.

- I feel like this show had a lot of one-off characters. Clash and Shocker (although this couldn't be helped, RIP Cameron Boyce), that science teacher from Midtown, the pop star voiced Jeremy Shada, the owl guy voiced by Yuri Lowenthal (what was that all about?), Robbie Robertson, and heck Liz, Randy, and John Jameson for the amount of relevance they actually had past one episode. Hammerhead's son (who isn't even from the comics) had more speaking appearances than some characters.
I think that was one of my issues with the show. It never bothered to build up its supporting cast and villains. Spider-Man in general has one of the strongest ones in the comics, but the show is too busy introducing as much as possible that they feel very one-note. That's also adding cast from the larger Marvel universe and even some original creations (Why was Nocturnal necessary?) and it was hard to get attached to it.

I think this issue is common even within the Spider-Team. Gwen had the subplot with Warren, but then she has nothing else to do besides gaining spider powers. Miles and Anya had no subplots or development of their own. Miles gained his powers comically fast and then was just Peter's occasional partner for the longest time.
- They never really did anything with Norman ostensibly being Stealth Spider and helping cause Spider-Island. What was he planning to do? How did he get spider powers? Why did no one in the cast actually find out who he is?
I think Norman was just infected earlier from the Midtown explosion, knew it, and tried to cure the city with the device before Peter and Miles ruined that. The virus had already been unleashed by that point by the destruction of Midtown. It just happens to be so underexplained that no one really knows what happened. Norman never brings it up again. Is that how he learned about Peter's secret?

Frontier

Staff member
I think that was one of my issues with the show. It never bothered to build up its supporting cast and villains. Spider-Man in general has one of the strongest ones in the comics, but the show is too busy introducing as much as possible that they feel very one-note. That's also adding cast from the larger Marvel universe and even some original creations (Why was Nocturnal necessary?) and it was hard to get attached to it.

I think this issue is common even within the Spider-Team. Gwen had the subplot with Warren, but then she has nothing else to do besides gaining spider powers. Miles and Anya had no subplots or development of their own. Miles gained his powers comically fast and then was just Peter's occasional partner for the longest time.
I think that was one of my main problems as well. I mean, the only real regular characters on the show were Gwen, Miles, and Anya (and Max but the show never really dived into their characters beyond the fact that they enjoy science and end up getting spider-powers to fight crime with. There were little additional character bits like how goofy Miles was, Gwen being this straightforward and enthusiastic girl with bad jokes, and Anya being the serious and stoic one, but not as in-depth as I would have liked.

And even being regulars, they faded in and out of the plot pretty frequently, especially Miles when he first got his powers. We used to joke about all the times the writers seemingly forgot he existed or had powers, but there's a reason for that.

Anya started out being abrasive and condescending towards Peter but eventually they became genuine friends basically off-screen. Peter and Miles didn't seem to really bond on-screen until Peter revealed he was Spider-Man to Miles. It's like the writers want us to believe in the group's friendship but didn't show enough of building up of their relationships to where it felt genuine (at least to me).

And especially in season 2 it felt like they were introducing so many villains (especially in Bring on the Bad Guys) like they were checking off boxes. I mean, what was the point of throwing in Mr. Negative and Molten Man just to get taken out in five minutes (although at least Spidey won that fight on his own)? We didn't learn anything about them other than they exist in that universe and to have one action sequence with them.
I think Norman was just infected earlier from the Midtown explosion, knew it, and tried to cure the city with the device before Peter and Miles ruined that. The virus had already been unleashed by that point by the destruction of Midtown. It just happens to be so underexplained that no one really knows what happened. Norman never brings it up again. Is that how he learned about Peter's secret?
I thought it was either that or Brock told them Peter was Spider-Man. Of course the latter requires the writers to have remembered Brock existed :p.

Pattern_Maker

Norman never brings it up again. Is that how he learned about Peter's secret?
In Generations, there was a flashback where Norman watched footage of Spider-Man fighting Venom from the episode Venom Returns from that capsule he was rejuvenating in. My guess is he's been watching Peter, Miles, Anya, and Gwen through security cameras and that's how he learned.

The only other way he could have learned is through Connor's after he eased dropped on Miles, Anya, and Gwen in Spider-Man Unmasked. Connor's called Norman after the three of them weren't close enough to hear him.

My main complaints with the show:
Bring on the Bad Guys was basically a filler arc from an anime. Besides Anya becoming Spider-Girl and the introductions of Electro and Prowler it just added to the season 2 hiatus. And this is coming from someone who binged the first two seasons without knowing episode 12 would be the start of the hiatus. I know telling and not showing is considered bad writing, but in this case, I don't think they needed four episodes to show that Peter was exhausted in the one after it.

Miles, Gwen, and Anya's families should have been explored more. Ultimate Spider-Man had episodes dedicated to Powerman, White Tiger, Nova, and Iron Fist. Why not one episode where Peter doesn't do anything Spider-Man related and has to work on a project with his friends? He works with them at their homes and meets their family. At that, maybe we could learn why each of them wanted to attend Horizon High, or maybe if they attend a different school before Horizon.

Yes, Into the Spider-Verse made Peter, Miles, and Gwen popular as a trio, but when your show focuses on four spider-heroes don't just ignore one of them, Anya, in promotional material for the show.

I think Norman, in his Mason Banks disguise from the comics, would have been better as the owner of Alchemax than Tiberius Stone since it didn't lead to Spider-Man 2099 showing up.

Until the introduction of the Osborn Commandos, Norman treated Alistair Smythe better than his other henchmen and never got angry with him when he failed. I would even say Norman treated him as good as he treated Harry. I think that would have been an interesting relationship to explore.

Last edited:

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
It represents what I just talked about earlier. The producers were so busy checking names off the villain list that they spend nearly two hours wasting time introducing characters that we mostly never see again. I mean, it's kind of cool seeing Mysterio or Overdrive or even Panda-Mania, but they never did anything with them again.

bigdaddy313

It represents what I just talked about earlier. The producers were so busy checking names off the villain list that they spend nearly two hours wasting time introducing characters that we mostly never see again. I mean, it's kind of cool seeing Mysterio or Overdrive or even Panda-Mania, but they never did anything with them again.
Well doesn’t that flow with Marvel Animation’s motto, make it more action base for toy sales?
I won’t be surprised if this was one of the reasons Kevin Shinick left.

Kevin's

I feel like bring on the bad guys was a good lead for superior arc because it simultaneously deals with the open house project which is very important in Pete's economic life and failure of open made Gwen and any less suspicious about Peter's actions and leaving horizon
And bring on the bad guys arc also made great connection between spider-man and cops where Yuri arrests him and releases him multiple times although he was accused of multiple actions

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
Those Marvel Animation fumetti comics are terrible. I'm all for original comics that expand the world of the show, whether they're canon or not in a few years, and the episode adaptations with original artwork and maybe some altered dialogue can be cool at times. The screenshot comics are the cheapest and laziest things they can possibly do.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
The third season will be retold in a comic series. It's just one of those comics that uses screenshots and dialogue from the episode, though. Interesting that they call this Peter's sophomore year of high school.
Shame they're going back to these uninspired style of comics :(.

I always assumed it was his junior year since they talked about the rest of the Horizon kids looking at colleges (although I guess you could still do that as a sophomore). I always assumed seasons 1-2 comprised his freshman and sophomore year.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Those Marvel Animation fumetti comics are terrible. I'm all for original comics that expand the world of the show, whether they're canon or not in a few years, and the episode adaptations with original artwork and maybe some altered dialogue can be cool at times. The screenshot comics are the cheapest and laziest things they can possibly do.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Agreed. It's a shame Marvel Animation hasn't done too many of them. I know the only ones I read were the ones from Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and that's mostly because it was Chris Yost using some of his season 3 ideas there. They eventually became screenshot comics as well, while the Ultimate Spider-Man ones eventually did original stories, though they were web-only.

Tie-ins when done properly can be really good, and it's a bonus if they're canon. Batman Adventures and Young Justice had some great ones. I liked the Stretch Armstrong ones and wish they didn't cut that mini-series half-way. The continuation comics they're doing for Mega Man: Fully Charged are really enjoyable, and I didn't even care about the actual show that much.

I always assumed it was his junior year since they talked about the rest of the Horizon kids looking at colleges (although I guess you could still do that as a sophomore). I always assumed seasons 1-2 comprised his freshman and sophomore year.

I always thought seasons 2 and 3 were close to each other because season 3 didn't have anything that indicated it started in a new school year. I remember them saying the whole Goblin King incident took place only a few weeks before, too.

Frontier

Staff member
Agreed. It's a shame Marvel Animation hasn't done too many of them. I know the only ones I read were the ones from Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and that's mostly because it was Chris Yost using some of his season 3 ideas there. They eventually became screenshot comics as well, while the Ultimate Spider-Man ones eventually did original stories, though they were web-only.

Tie-ins when done properly can be really good, and it's a bonus if they're canon. Batman Adventures and Young Justice had some great ones. I liked the Stretch Armstrong ones and wish they didn't cut that mini-series half-way. The continuation comics they're doing for Mega Man: Fully Charged are really enjoyable, and I didn't even care about the actual show that much.
Considering the Stretch Armstrong comic, it would've been cool to see Doc and Wyatt write comics for the show :).

Well, I guess they are because the comics are basically reusing their scripts, but you know what I mean :p.

It's also kind of ironic bringing up Stretch Armstrong and the Flex Fighters considering it feels like a more successful take on the kind of show Marvel's Spider-Man was trying to be, with the same showrunners...
I always thought seasons 2 and 3 were close to each other because season 3 didn't have anything that indicated it started in a new school year. I remember them saying the whole Goblin King incident took place only a few weeks before, too.
Ah, that makes sense. I think I remember descriptions for season 2 mentioning it was Peter's second year at Horizon, although that doesn't necessarily make it his sophomore year per se...

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.
It's interesting how Disney Junior is rebranding, first with the logo, and now educational curriculum being developed under Disney Junior Education And Inclusion rather than the Disney Junior Educational Resource Group.

Featured Posts