"Justice League (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment - [i]Justice League[/i]

• Total voters

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
Looking at pics in Newsarama article it seem this happens once or twice every decade. So the "new status quo" is the old been there done that status quo :sad:.

I read the article and it seems that the Superman/Wonder Woman pairing has mostly been done in non-canon stories like Kingdom Come (as noted above) and Frank Miller's books. The article also said they briefly flirted in Action Comics #600. A little flirting isn't much if you ask me.

I'll just wait and read the next issue of Justice League before I judge Superman/Wonder Woman. Does this mean that Steve Trevor is dead? The previous issue hinted that Graves killed him.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Superman and Wonder Woman are a bad couple. Because they're a great couple. They're both powerful, noble, and don't really need anything from each other. No strings, no drama, it's basically like dating yourself. So it's boring.

This. Part of the reason why the Superman/Lois Lane romance was so well liked was because it was interesting and had chemistry. This romance, if handled wrong, could end up being bland.

Dragonpiece

Wait and see how it'd done next week for me. I personally have faith as a huge Geoff John's fan so we shall see!

Anthonynotes

Sounds like someone's bad fanfiction plot (or endless "they should get together since they're both 'super' if you know what I mean, *wink wink*..." jokes) finally made canonical. Wonder what was wrong with building back up Diana and Steve (the latter mostly brushed off the comics for years).

While I don't mind seeing the two together in alternate future stories, etc., seeing the two presented as "the new status quo!" in an actual "for real" storyline seems like just another lame gimmick...

as the new wonder woman/superman relationship goes on, i'm sure romantic comedy hijinks will ensue when steve and lois get together out of jealousy in hopes wonder woman and superman notice and eventually come to them as their romantic interests.

LOL... that'd probably be more amusing than what'll actually come out. :p

darkdetective

Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer
Wasn't there an Alan Moore Story where Supes and Wondy make out and then they say something like this:

Superman: "why don't we do that more often?"
WonderWoman: "it's too obvious"

Am I remembering wrong?

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013
Wasn't there an Alan Moore Story where Supes and Wondy make out and then they say something like this:

Superman: "why don't we do that more often?"
WonderWoman: "it's too obvious"

Am I remembering wrong?

No, you're just about right on. It's from the "For the Man Who Has Everything" annual and it sums up the situation well.

2012-08-22_123952_superWW.jpeg

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
While I don't mind seeing the two together in alternate future stories, etc., seeing the two presented as "the new status quo!" in an actual "for real" storyline seems like just another lame gimmick...

I don't want to accuse anyone of being a liar, but I don't believe for one minute that this "status quo" is going to last that long, or have any real, dramatic impact in the long run of this current continuity. The cynic in me says this is just a way to create some buzz outside of the usual comic fans. I even saw this story on Good Morning America, for crying out loud. Sure feels like DC is trying to get the attention of non-usual customers, and this was an easy way to get a little pub by using familiar characters and fancy splash art.

Despite my negative impressions of why DC is doing this, I'm okay with the idea. They rebooted, right? From the Superman angle, it would be a pointless reboot if he were just to get back with Lois (and I believe he will... eventually...) right away. I guess they could've tinkered with Lana, but it's not like she's all that interesting and worthy of burning up comic pages. I thought the Lori Lemaris arc from the 1990's was just stupid, so thank goodness they aren't revisiting that. At least Wonder Woman and Superman are regular characters on JL, so there won't be extraneous characters in the books. I am surprised, though, because we got a big dose of Steve Trevor in the JL comics and I would've expected they'd do something with him.

And really, this whole tinkering with the idea of putting these two together happens several times a decade. We had this story from the 1990's, this one from the 1980's, just to name a couple with flashy cover art. Even the DC Universe Online Collector's Edition pack-in comic made a brief reference to it. All in all, if you took every Elseworld, one- and two-off story from pre- and post-Crisis, you'd get a fairly lengthy list of stories that bring up the idea of the two together in some way, shape, or form. So the only real surprises here would be if they're at it for more than a handful of issues, and it didn't seem too contrived.

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
I remember that John Byrne also did this specifically to dismiss it in an issue or two after the post-Crisis reboot.

I think the major reason why I don't like the idea is that Lois Lane is one of the anchors for the "Man" part of "Superman." She's an extraordinary woman, but one without super powers and who isn't "in the life," so to speak. She's a reason to be Clark Kent, even after she knows the truth about his secret identity. Pairing Superman with Wonder Woman means there's no reason for him to be anyone other than Superman, especially since it seems that WW doesn't have a secret identity any more. Lois keeps Superman's feet on the ground. Without her, Superman becomes just a Kryptonian.

Of course, this begs the question why Steve Trevor doesn't really do the same thing for Wonder Woman. I think part of it might just be about gender roles and power relationships in our society, but I also think there's enough compassion and empathy built into Wonder Woman's character that she doesn't have as much need to be grounded as Superman does.

Anyway, I think it's a highly unoriginal idea that's pretty dumb, but I'm ignoring the New 52 already so it doesn't make much difference to me. I just hope it's handled with less incompetence than Starfire in the Outsiders book.

Frontier

Staff member
It's hard for me to get excited about any new relationship in comics these days. Comic book relationships are almost never long-lasting, and the relationships you think will last end up retconned years down the road. Comics creators commenting on the relationship kept bringing up how nothing in comics is ever permanent, and most of them don't see this as anything long-term, and I can't help but agree.

And that all this just screams publicity isn't really helping my opinion of it. I mean, how does Superman and Wonder Woman hooking up change the status quo exactly? I guess it depends on what you personally think the "status quo" is. Though really, the line "changing the status quo" is usually just something a comic company has to say for their newest gimmick and event. Not that much ever actually gets changed in the end.

Honestly, I really feel bad for Steve Trevor. The Justice League comic book has not been good to him at all.

She's a reason to be Clark Kent, even after she knows the truth about his secret identity. Pairing Superman with Wonder Woman means there's no reason for him to be anyone other than Superman, especially since it seems that WW doesn't have a secret identity any more. Lois keeps Superman's feet on the ground. Without her, Superman becomes just a Kryptonian.

I think that's actually at the core of what is wrong with how Superman is perceived and written: that somehow he isn't Clark Kent, a man raised with the perceptions of your average human. Is DC asking us to believe that someone raised from infancy (and in at least one continuity, born on Earth) with no memory of Krypton is somehow pretending to be someone else? I think it's a really stretched attempt at creating some sort of tragic divide and angst for the character, which is what pairing him with Wonder Woman tries to play towards. This sort of thing only works with someone like Supergirl who does have a life before Earth and leaping into the war on crime and even then it would grow tiresome after a while.

I'm sure it's no surprise at this point in this post, but I'm pretty heavily against the idea. I think it is based on the callous notion that they can "be theirselves." I think that goes a long way to go against the idea that people of all backgrounds and cultures can still understand one another and form romances. The idea would certainly be interesting in a bleak, grim-dark story narrative (and we all know how I enjoy those), but in a narrative that holds no end and will inevitably fall back on restoring some sort of generic 'status quo', I'm really not amused.

I feel like I've forgotten something else I wanted to go on about, so I guess I'll post that whenever I remember. :sweat:

ShadowGUN

YES!YES!YES!
This probably won't last more than a year.

Exatcly. Lois is Clark's soul mate just like Steve is Diana.

action761_02.jpg

Heck if a thousand years old war in another dimension couldn't make Clark forget Lois not even a recon like New52 could keep them apart.

Dusty

Superman.
As much as Lois and Clark was good, I got tired of that relationship and (not really the point to the EW story) I also got tired of her having to be rescued all the time, (granted, she'll still always need saving, lol, ;) ) Anyways ever since they had Lois and Superman get married I was "meh" about it, Superman shouldn't settle down, or atleast so soon in his fictional Comic career. Plus I have always thought this was like a perfect match. (and I am not a very big Comic shipper, I just imagined that somewhere these two should end up together: QuarterBack and Cheerleader. lol) But let's hope Johns and Co. don't screw this up like so many other things. ;)

D.

Chaos Yoshi Mage

The Lonely Raven
And oh goddess, I hope they don't actually do it in the sky. A scene like that happened in the Buffy comic book and it was goddessawful. Just say no to sky sex.

I think that happened in an X-Men comic as well with Angel in it...

As for the topic at hand, I'm simply apathetic towards it...

W.C.Reaf

I think this is a stupid idea. So the "great new ideas" for the reboot is just rehash the most overused and obvious pairing between the two? I'll pass. Pick an Elseworld story with the two and 4/5 times they'll be put together, with Wonder Woman not really being a character just "that chick Superman gets with."

If they wanted to go with something new and different have him go out with Black Canary, or Wondey and Batwoman have a thing together. Pick some different characters to do the random obviously not gong to last romantic pairings with.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts