"DuckTales" (2017) Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Anime Superhero

The Ultimate Administrator
Administrator
New "DuckTales" Series to be Televised in 2017

A brand new DuckTales series has been greenlighted and is planned for television broadcast in 2017, Disney has announced today. The cartoon is being produced by Disney Television Animation and will run on Disney XD channels worldwide. The original show premiered from 1987 to 1990 and combined comedy with adventure throughout its 100 episode run, putting Scrooge McDuck and other creations of Carl Barks into a wide variety of adventures in and out of Scrooge's home of Duckberg as Scrooge searched for treasure and fought to preserve his place as the richest duck in the world. The show would go...

View the Full Article

zoombie

I don't know, it is hard to mess with the classics, anyway I do hope if Donald is going to be involved, than no reason Daisy shouldn't be in the series, she was the only thing missing in the original series.

And keep to the season 1 cast, I really hope we don't Bubba and Fenton / Gizmo, at least not as regular characters.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
So hey, Darkwing Duck and Gargoyles reboots when?

....what? Gotta always have something to ask for. Such is the way of the fan. ;)

I think something to keep in mind is, DuckTales is itself an adaptation and update of classics in the form of Carl Barks' comic books. I also think DTA has generally acquitted itself quite well in recent years, so I don't have any worries about presentation to speak of. I'm definitely very curious to see who's staff on this. I hope what they're saying is true really is true and the show is more or less the same blend of comedy, hijinks and adventure that DuckTales has been all along. There was, at least, enough stewardship of the property for the video game DuckTales Remastered to turn out like something ripped straight out of the show in 1987.

It also hasn't escaped my notice that Donald Duck has been upgraded to have more of a role this time. That can only be a good thing IMO. I remember wondering where Donald was all the time when I was younger.....

ToonJay723

Staff member
I am worried about the quality of animation for this new series. I mean, the original DuckTales set the bar really high, especially for a 5 day a week syndicated cartoon series.

Well I hope Disney XD can put more effort into their animation, since it appears that Disney Channel doesn't want to have anything to do with cartoons.

trance2009

Good night everybody!
My suggestion is to basically get the same quality of animation Gravity Falls has, and also hire the crew to work on it as well. I think they could really do something with it.

MDawg

Nerfariously planning
I'm really hoping Mercury Filmworks is given the duty of animating this. They've been hitting it out of the park with the Mickey Mouse shorts revival and have shown that Flash in the right hands can make some darn awesome stuff.

I wonder if they'll reuse any surviving cast members. Alan Young is still alive and voiced Scrooge in the DuckTales: Remastered, but he's 95 now so an ongoing series slated to start in 2 years may well not be viable for him. Anthony Anselmo has been doing Donald for everything, so I see him returning for this, and Russi Taylor would also be available to voice the nephews and Webby unless they decide to go in a different direction (getting whatever current flavor of the moment live-action talent to voice these roles seems like something Disney would want to do).

SaneMan

A brand new DuckTales series has been greenlighted and is planned for television broadcast in 2017, Disney has announced today. The cartoon is being produced by Disney Television Animation and will run on Disney XD channels worldwide. The original show premiered from 1987 to 1990 and combined comedy with adventure throughout its 100 episode run, putting Scrooge McDuck and other creations of Carl Barks into a wide variety of adventures in and out of Scrooge's home of Duckberg as Scrooge searched for treasure and fought to preserve his place as the richest duck in the world. The show would go...

View the Full Article

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
1) 2D or 3D?
2) Why Disney XD? Why not the main channel?
3) Is Disney running out of ideas?

1. We don't know. However, every Disney XD original series from DTA in recent years has involved 2D animation (Tron: Uprising was special and blended 2D and 3D CG)
2. This is going to Disney XD because that's the channel intended to aim directly for the 6-14 crowd. It's time to get used to this. Yes, Disney XD reaches fewer households than Disney Channel and it also doesn't reach as far as Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon. Attractive programming is how to grow it and eventually change that.
3. Of the Disney XD original series from DTA since 2009, 8 of 10 are original and not based on or inspired by an existing thing. I'd say that speaks for itself.

ms78

I hope if this does well that they will do a crossover episode with the Darkwing Duck characters since they exist in the same universe,

ToonJay723

Staff member
1) 2D or 3D?
2) Why Disney XD? Why not the main channel?
3) Is Disney running out of ideas?

1. 2D
2. Because Disney Channel only wants live action shows. All Disney cartoons air on Disney XD.
3. No

Eldorado

I'm really hoping Mercury Filmworks is given the duty of animating this. They've been hitting it out of the park with the Mickey Mouse shorts revival and have shown that Flash in the right hands can make some darn awesome stuff.

Exactly, I could agree more. You know I've been hoping and wishing that a new series would come out and well....I'm just so happy. (cue the waterworks)

However I do have some things I'd like for the new series to have since its going to be a new continuity:
1.Have Donald never actually join the Navy and make him a regular character.
2.Animate John D. Rockerduck for the first time and make him Scrooge's other arch-rival (besides Flintheart Glomgold).
3.Introduce Scrooge's sister Matilda Duck and have what Don Rosa said and have her married to Ludwig Von Drake (it would be interesting to see him and Scrooge as brothers-in-law).
4.Have Daisy a regular character and make her a TV reporter like she's often portrayed as.
5.Have more of Gladstone Gander and introduce Fethry Duck.
6.Keep Flintheart Glomgold Scottish but make him look a little more like his original Carl Barks design.

Dudley

Staff member
Well, this will certainly be interesting. I was never a huge fan of the originiL (love the movie, though), so it'll be interesting to see how this one will play out.
Not looking forward to all the complaints about how it's not like the original series though. I wouldn't be surprise if it's animated at Mercury Filmworks, they do great work. I think it's be cool if the show separates itself from the original by using art closer in style to Carl Barks work.

SigmasonicX

Epic season long adaptation of "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck"? Maybe? Maybe?

I do hope they include Donald in the stories more. Reading the Carl Barks and Don Rosa comics, Donald really did add a ton to the stories, and the DuckTales-original characters simply could not replace him.

Can you imagine the series starting out with an adaptation of Don Rosa's "The Son of the Sun"? It'd be the perfect reintroduction, a classic story of Scrooge and Glomgold racing to find a treasure, and a good way to introduce the idea of Donald joining in on the adventures regularly.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?
Twitter remains super toxic, I do not recommend spending more time on there than you have to. I have friends on there, but meh.
Today marks the 25th Year Anniversary of when the Original Game of the Super Smash Bros. Franchise was released in North America. It's quite surreal to see how far Nintendo's All-Star Battle Royale Franchise has come since its early days.
I watched the first episode of Yuru Camp this morning on a whim, though I did have slight influence from a Twitter friend who really likes it. Can't believe I waited until now to give it a shot, because I really enjoyed it.
I've said this before, but the Ignore button is a life saver.

Featured Posts