"DC Showcase (Animated Shorts)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Just watched the short and I stand corrected. Any fears about it went away when I watched it. The fight at the end between Catwoman and Rough Cut was awesome and well done.

:ack: Hmm. This might not help the recent flair up regarding the depiction of Women in DCs new 52.
She was undercover and simply playing her part in that scene. :p

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The World's Finest has a brief review of the Catwoman animated short up for those interested.

Warner Home Video has also issued a new press release, featuring comments from the cast and crew, about the Friday debut of the Catwoman short at the New York Comic-Con 2011.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and Warner Bros. Animation has announced that five more DC Showcase animated shorts will roll out starting this year. The animated shorts, which will appear on upcoming DC Universe Movie releases, will feature classic DC Comics characters, including Sgt. Rock, The Phantom Stranger and Adam Strange, among other. Click here for the press details and a first look at Sgt. Rock!

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
This is pretty awesome. I was hoping they would eventually continue the DC Showcase series, and am glad they managed to keep it a secret until now. The selection seems good and the talent involved with each short is pretty impressive.

Sgt. Rock is a nice idea. I liked him on Justice League and Batman: The Brave and the Bold, and it's cool he's getting his own mini-movie.

Adam Strange is probably the one I'm looking forward to the most. I like the character and the plot details released so far sound pretty cool.

Death and The Phantom Stranger should be good, too. It's kind of nice they're going for a more supernatural or horror theme for some of these. I'll admit I'm not as interested in these as with the others, but will check them out.

I imagine Batman: Death In The Family might be a little longer - but still less than 30 minutes, kind of like Superman/Shazam. Looking forward to more details, in due time.

Thinking about it some more, these new titles are kind of parallels to the first series... Sgt. Rock and Jonah Hex were both period pieces, Phantom Stranger is a nice companion to the Spectre (Death could also work, but I was going to say it has a woman as a main character and I was comparing it to Catwoman :p).

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and Warner Bros. Animation has announced that five more DC Showcase animated shorts will roll out starting this year. The animated shorts, which will appear on upcoming DC Universe Movie releases, will feature classic DC Comics characters, including Sgt. Rock, The Phantom Stranger and Adam Strange, among other. Click here for the press details and a first look at Sgt. Rock!
I've been hoping for a return of DC Showcase shorts for a while now, but I can't believe we're getting more! This is awesome :D!

I'm always down for more Sgt. Rock, and it's pretty awesome to see Karl Urban in a DC role. Also sounds like we'll be seeing the Creature Commandos :cool:.

It's really cool to see Adam Strange getting more love in animation, and it seems like they're going for an interesting take on him. I wonder if Roger R. Cross is Sardath, Kimberly Brooks is Alanna, and maybe Fred Tatasciore is Kanjar Ro :)?

Seeing them do an animated short based around a Neil Gaiman property is pretty sweet, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do their. Jamie Chung as Death should be pretty interesting. I wonder if Dream might make a cameo ;)?

I agree with Royal that Phantom Stranger reminds me of the Spectre short, what with it being a period piece based around a Supernatural hero, but it is pretty neat to see the Strange in his first leading role :anime:.

I kind of question doing Death in the family again since Under the Red Hood basically covered it so well, but I guess now we get to see more of what happened to Jason in real time. I wonder if they might bring back the Under the Red Hood VA's and frame it as a prequel? Although they hype it up as being an "innovative" take, so it sounds like they're doing something different with it :confused:.

I wonder...will these get released on DC Universe as well, or will they be solely on the DVD releases?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Death was on Sam Liu's checklist for awhile. Happy to see he's gotten to do a story at last. I always get more interested to see a Vertigo title pop granted Death has appeared in mainstream comics a bit more lately.

EDIT: PR mentioned, Sgt. Rock is on the Hush release. So that's when these shorts start up.

I wonder...will these get released on DC Universe as well, or will they be solely on the DVD releases?
I can see them trying to keep it exclusive to Blu-ray. Also putting it on DCU could be seen as hurting sales. But depends how they see it a loss. Being on DCU might capture more people than a Blu-ray release ever could. In theory.

Batboy84

I can see them trying to keep it exclusive to Blu-ray. Also putting it on DCU could be seen as hurting sales. But depends how they see it a loss. Being on DCU might capture more people than a Blu-ray release ever could. In theory.
There's also the fact that we don't even have all of the current DC Showcase shorts on there now. Catwoman is nowhere to be seen, and everything else is combined together under Superman/Shazam under movies. Even "Chase Me" is combined with Mystery of the Batwoman on there, where it starts playing the moment the credits end.

Frontier

Staff member
Death was on Sam Liu's checklist for awhile. Happy to see he's gotten to do a story at last. I always get more interested to see a Vertigo title pop granted Death has appeared in mainstream comics a bit more lately.
I wonder if that means he directed it? Although he's kind of an oversight guy on the line now, so I guess it could be technical ;).
EDIT: PR mentioned, Sgt. Rock is on the Hush release. So that's when these shorts start up.
So Adam Strange will be on Bloodlines, and the rest will probably be attached to the 2020 slate :cool:.
I admit, a part of me just kind of selfishly wants them on there just so I can watch them, since now I just wait for the movies to be on DC Universe :p.

#TeamMike

Wonderful news!

Although, didn't they claim that the shorts died a death last time because the market simply didn't support them? They are (seemingly) using the exact same strategy this time, so, what's changed?

My guess is that these shorts may release on DC universe as exclusive content.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts