Daredevil #82-86 "The Devil In Cell Block D" Talkback (Spoilers)

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I figured that there aren't enough of us here to warrant monthly talkbacks, but with Bendis parting this month, and Brubaker starting an all new arc next month, now would be a pretty good time to talk about this very overlooked character.

ddtalkback.jpg

Comments?

What did you think to the Bendis' finale, and his run overall. What are you hoping that Brubaker will bring to the table, especially after the revelation that Matt is in jail with Fisk and Owl.

And finally, Bullseye and Murdock's wife, both dead!

kid_flash

Speedy Teen
Bullseye and Milla aren't dead, that was all Matt's fantasy in the courtroom. Also, I believe he's only in jail with Fisk; I think they shipped them both off to that island at the end.

I'll be back with full thoughts later. Yeah, pretty much I just wanted to be the first to point that out. Yeah, I'm that ridiculous.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
kid_flash said:
Bullseye and Milla aren't dead, that was all Matt's fantasy in the courtroom.

That's how I read it. I started thinking immediately, "This is going to all be in Matt's head," when he started busting out of the courthouse.

Also, I believe he's only in jail with Fisk; I think they shipped them both off to that island at the end.

Nah, Matt was being checked into the same prison that Kingpin, Owl, Gladiator, and Hammerhead are in. And I believe that was Ryker's Island. Or the Raft.

JTolliver

Stu said:
I don't like ^that artwork much, it makes DareDevil look like Ultimate Spiderman or something ie. like an adolescent girly boy: puny build, tiny frail looking bone structure and a bulbus head. Quesada obviously isn't aware that it's possible to draw a grown man as lithe and sinewy without making him look like an underage girly boy

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
JTolliver said:
I don't like ^that artwork much, it makes DareDevil look like Ultimate Spiderman or something ie. like an adolescent girly boy: puny build, tiny frail looking bone structure and a bulbus head. Quesada obviously isn't aware that it's possible to draw a grown man as lithe and sinewy without making him look like an underage girly boy

Then you should see the way Quesada depicted Daredevil in the Daredevil: Father miniseries. Quesada said in interviews he wanted Matt to look more like a bulky boxer, but to me, he ended up looking like the Hulk. :eek:

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The new issue came out today, with Ed Brubaker taking over the writing. It appears he's going for the same tone Bendis has, and he's created a througly enjoyable issue with a highly intriguing ending. I'm also wondering who this new Daredevil is, now that Murdock is behind bars.

A brilliant start, let's hope they keep it up. Anyone else pick this up?

Spider-Man

It's a pretty outstanding debut from Brubaker and Lark. The dialogue is crisp the action is really well done and the plot potential is unlimited. The artwork by Lark is just excellent too and fits the mold of the series. I lost a bit of interest in Bendis' run but this new creative team has brought me right back in. Brubaker is where he belongs on Daredevil.

I really liked how this issue didn't feel like a decompressed story either. We had plenty to read and it actually felt worth the $4.25 I had to pay for it. We had some strong action scenes and a mysterious Daredevil and a great cliffhanger. I have a gut feeling that this mysterious Daredevil may turn out to be Iron Fist and he's taken onthe costume as a favor to Matt. As for Foggy I hope he's not dead and early cover art revealed a couple months back was purposefully misleading.

A great debut by the new creative team!

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Spider-Man said:
A great debut by the new creative team!

They seemed to have nailed the tone and the character perfectly, in a mere single issue. Better yet, this book now has decent artwork. I know Malev has his fans but I never liked his work in the slightest. I don't know if it was the combination of the inker and the colourist adding to the problems but I thought the book always looked weak but was written spectaculary, Bendis pacing problems aside.

I can't wait to see where they go from here. Murdock in prison, such a great idea. Did anyone else read this?

jgully

cosmic explorer/shoeshine boy
I love this issue brubaker did a great job and lark's art keeps the gritty style of the bendis/maleev run i'm hooked

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
What did everyone think of the death of Foggy Nelson?

I'm not so convinced that he's dead yet, especially after the comment that he was stabalising in the ambulance. Now that Murdock isn't in the special unit, I expect to see things picking up even more. I love how he immediatly beat the crap out of The Owl as soon as he realised that no cameras were on him. A great scene!

It's a shame no one else reads this book. It's still probably one of the best, most creative titles on the rack right now. Considering both Batman and Spider-Man seem to be dipping into mediocrity, I'd highly recommend picking this book up instead.

Robin2099

All I can say is that with his work on Captain America and his current run on Daredevil, Brubaker is my favorite writer at Marvel, and if he keeps this up then he might have a run on ol hornhead thats just as good as Bendis' or Millers. Daredevil is defenantly one of the few must read series that Marvel is doing right now (along with Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Ultimate Spiderman and Ultimate Fantastic Four) IMHO.

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The new issue hits today as The Punisher joins in the fun at Rykers!

DD_085_sm.jpg

WRITER: ED BRUBAKER
PENCILS: MICHAEL LARK
INKS: STEFANO GAUDIANO
COVER BY: TOMMY LEE EDWARDS

Award-winning creators Ed Brubaker and Michael Lark’s debut story “THE DEVIL IN CELL BLOCK D” hits a turning point! With all the prison gangs against him, Matt Murdock turns to unlikely allies in his quest for the truth. And as Kingpin returns to Gen-Pop, Ryker’s Island teeters on the edge of an explosion, and Matt can either give it a push, or remember the man he used to be. Meanwhile, Ben Urich and Dakota North hunt whoever is running around Hell’s Kitchen pretending to be Daredevil!

Comments?

I know I can't be the only one reading this book. Someone say something!

Wonderwall

Staff member
JTolliver said:

I thought the same thing too. I was like wow that is just Peter in a new suit..oh wait thats supposed to be Matt..:confused:

DBZALLSTAR

This book gets better each month. Bendis was good, but Brubaker is taking Daredevil to a whole new level. The interaction between Matt and Frank Castle was nice, especially since it didn't end in yet another Daredevil/Punisher fight to the death. We've got just two parts left to this story arc. I can't wait to see who's behind the Daredevil mask, but I have a few ideas who it is.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
This "Alton Lennox" fellow seems to be the cause of DD's current problems, I wonder who he really is.

Invidente 7

well

wonderfly said:
Umm...where has this Dakota North character appeared before now?
Wizard did a lame comic book collection once (in one of their april issues) and among the lame ones, there was Dakota North, I think that, acoording to that issue's description, when she fired her gun it went "BRAK! BRAK! PING! PING!" instead of "BANG BANG!" that and she had awful catchphrases (Eat lead geek face!).........and her little brother as a sidekick :sweat:

Reed Richards

Mr. Fantastic
my god this may be the best comic being published right now, and those who know me know thats a MAJOR statement by me.

Christ on the cross that interaction between Punny and DD was AWESOME. And the way Frank destroyed that righteous convict? and i havent even brought up the fisk stuff yet.

this book is so good i want to pull my hair out in anticipation for it each month. and as much as im loving the current work here, when this all explodes in the prison this book will be just wild!

Why everyone isnt reading this book right now is beyond me...

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.
It's interesting how Disney Junior is rebranding, first with the logo, and now educational curriculum being developed under Disney Junior Education And Inclusion rather than the Disney Junior Educational Resource Group.

Featured Posts