Could DreamWorks Cartoons Be Made More For (As Well As Move To) Peacock?

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
It was revealed today that the Netflix DreamWorks show Archibald's Next Big Thing will be moving to Peacock starting in season 3. It's pretty interesting to see a show jump between streaming services, and not like a regular channel to a streaming service. This has made me wonder if there will be future DreamWorks shows (or any of the currently running ones) that will move to Peacock. There are a few things to note:

1. Some of the current DreamWorks shows on Peacock are also streaming concurrently with Hulu, most notably Madagascar: A Little Wild, The Mighty Ones, and Trolls: TrollsTopia. However, something like Cleopatra In Space is only on Peacock, as is Where's Waldo and also the aforementioned Archibald's Next Big Thing.

2. When Turbo Fast was released to Netflix in 2013, it consistently set up the standard of having all DreamWorks shows premiere on Netflix, which proved true with shows like The Adventures Of Puss In Boots, Dawn Of The Croods, Harvey Girls Forever, and She Ra And The Princesses Of Power. This also applied to the 2012 How To Train Your Dragon cartoon, which had seasons 1-2 air on Cartoon Network, but seasons 3-8 were produced for Netflix.

However, the later half of the 2010s and going into the new decade saw some DreamWorks cartoons coming out in other places. For example, while only lasting 26 episodes, 2 DreamWorks cartons came out on Amazon in 2018, The Adventures Of Rocky And Bullwinkle and Kung Fu Panda: The Paws Of Destiny. The 2019 Where's Waldo cartoon had season 1 air on Universal Kids while season 2 onward moved to Peacock. We also have Doug Unplugs coming out on Apple TV, the first DreamWorks cartoon made for the platform.

3. Two of the currently running shows are Fast And Furious: Spy Racers and Jurassic Park: Camp Cretaceous, both on Netflix. However, both are also co-produced by Universal, which is heavily associated with Peacock.

I have a feeling that any future DreamWorks shows might come out on Peacock, and any of the currently running DreamWorks shows would eventually jump ship to Peacock. Still, I want to know what you think?

Last edited:

harry580

um i don't know because dreamworks has a deal with Apple TV I believe for that one cartoon about a boy robot I don't know the name of

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Though as I mentioned, Archibald's Next Big Thing moved from Netflix to Peacock. It could very well be possible that Doug Unplugs could eventually move to Peacock after some time.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I'm guessing Peacock is having a scattered release similar to Disney+ in that it comes out in other countries long after the US. As for something like The Mighty Ones, maybe it could air on a different channel there. I mean, the show airs on YTV in Canada, so it could air on different channels in other countries.

Last edited:

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
With all of the studios making more content, I really don't see DreamWorks Animation making any real announcements over the past several months. And with Peacock it's as if the animation content is an afterthought.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Peacock should commission a revival of Toonsylvania, since Animaniacs is doing good on Hulu (both were produced by Steven Spielberg).

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Though the three DreamWorks cartoons on Hulu are being shared with Peacock.

Corwin Haught

It depends on when DWA's current contracts are up. As for the current shows, streamers tend to sign long-term exclusive rights deals, so they are staying at their current homes for a long time.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

did I just get threatened by breakfast cereal
I’ve come to a realization. With Superman, Unicorn, Checkered Past, and now Invincible Fight Girl, Adult Swim is straying away from their mission of being adult-only animation, one that’s even in their NAME, to get more advertisers.

The exact reason why CN Real existed.
I REALLY HOPE Adult Swim puts an episode of American Dad before Sailor Moon on Toonami Rewind, CN's shows are NOT CAPABLE giving ratings by their sheer popularity.

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.

Featured Posts