Bizarre Find at the Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Andy Mancini

Have any of you heard of the store called Ollie's Bargain Outlet? For those who haven't, a brief description: Ollie's is a regional discount chain that claims to have "great stuff, cheap" thanks to closeouts, buy backs, and other words created by the CEO of Big Lots. While comparable to the afformentioned Big Lots, Ollie's stores tend to have products that are a tad "higher end." If Big Lots has bottles of no-one soy sauce, then Ollie's has cases of Heinz soy sauce originally made for mainland China. If Big Lots have rip-off Transformers, then Ollie's has the real deal. Although I have come to expect the "higher end of the low end" from Ollie's, I had no idea I would ever see anything like what I saw their last night.

While searching for a Holmes room fan to cool down my HP laptop (without it, it'll overheat and freeze when I use my TV tuner card), I ran across something I have never seen before in my life in "mainstream" store. Sitting beside everything from hunting jackets to the Rugrats potty training book were about twenty slot machines. Not just regular slot machines, mind you, but Japanese slot machines. While most of them were either regular machines or advertising some anime, there were two that caught my eye. One advertised for the game "Kessen." The idea was that you watched the game trailer which played in the little screen at the top of the machine, and then you played the slots. The other has a screen, a D-pad, and two yellow buttons. The idea is that the player has to go through a few mini-games before having the chance to work his or her magic at the slots. Thanks to my girlfriend's shining influence, the latter is sitting in my trunk right now.

So there you have it: I have a fully-sized Japanese slot machine sitting in the trunk of my car. I wanted to set it up in my dorm room, but it's just a tad too heavy to lift up the stairs, so I'm just going to drop it off at home this weekend. I'll take pictures of it over the weekend and post them if I have the chance.

Andy Mancini

It cost $170, tax included. I was saving up for a GP2X, but as my girlfriend put it, "when else will you see a Japanese slot machine?" And exactly where does one buy large quantities of Japanese slot machines? I have this mental picture of Ollie (who kind of looks like Albert Einstein) with a giant dragon tatoo on his back. I just hope that it doesn't turn into a bad Indie film... the last thing I want is a Yakuza thug played by Beat Takeshi to take their machine back.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Since it's May the Fourth, might as well post this bit of trivia:

DePatie–Freleng Enterprises- known for The Pink Panther, mid-60s Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies, many Dr. Seuss specials, The Bod Squad, and Time for Timer- handled the lightsaber effects for Episode IV.
I wonder if the new Dexter's Lab set will have Rude Removal on it. They were okay with putting The Whoopass Girls on the PPG set many years ago that they were advertising on Cartoon Network (albeit they muted every time it was said in the pilot). This set's clearly for adults.
They should file a lawsuit against MeTV Toons for stealing the classic cartoons away from Boomerang. Boomerang found the classic cartoons first.
Shiloh Otter wrote on LinusFan303's profile.
I will miss your use of Mouse as your pfp, but since your name is LinusFan303, having Linus as your pfp only makes sense.
I haven't seen a channel launch as promising as MeTV Toons since The Hub. Let's hope their similarities don't extend to fate.

Featured Posts