Big Nate (News And Discussion Thread)

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
It is odd, but also strangely charming. I'll just assume jokes like this are in the source material unless someone who read them can verify.

PM13

Plz don't tell me this show ends up being garbage, pls :( Its bad enough that Nate stuck his butt in front of Francis's face when he was doing sit ups on one of the shorts thing, so pls don't screw this up, Nick
Maybe it's a one time thing

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
It is odd, but also strangely charming. I'll just assume jokes like this are in the source material unless someone who read them can verify.
The daily comic strip has done those kind of jokes, it's not a sole joke it does, but it doesn't not do butt jokes and etc.

Eldorado

So the show finally came and I gotta admit, I haven't been following the show much since I've never read the original literature but it is surprisingly watchable!

It's like a late 90's/early 2000's show but with super-advanced CGI, and I love how they use licensed music. Hopefully, this show becomes popular and it'll lead to Nick greenlighting more original programming for Paramount+.

SebastianC

So the show finally came and I gotta admit, I haven't been following the show much since I've never read the original literature but it is surprisingly watchable!

It's like a late 90's/early 2000's show but with super-advanced CGI, and I love how they use licensed music. Hopefully, this show becomes popular and it'll lead to Nick greenlighting more original programming for Paramount+.
Well that is good news! I read both the books and the comic strip growing up and loved them both, and I was a little concerned about this adaptation. Glad to hear they didn’t screw it up! I might have to check it out sometime soon.

Eldorado

Well that is good news! I read both the books and the comic strip growing up and loved them both, and I was a little concerned about this adaptation. Glad to hear they didn’t screw it up! I might have to check it out sometime soon.
There is gross-out humor but It's not over-the-top.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
I've watched the first two episodes, I'm spacing them out to watch to have something to enjoy and not have to wait for the batch . I read the daily comic strip everyday so I was excited to hear about this show. I was nervous about the 3D CGI, since I've seen how Rugrats came out, but they the shorts looked good and it looks good as a show. Though, the show does feel a little dark, Rugrats has that too where it's not brighter, I'm not saying that it should be super bright, but here it didn't bug me either, it kind of fits for the school scences of the dingy falling apart school.

It's fun to see their use of mixed media as well, and time length pacing was pretty good, don't usually see comedic cartoons have 22 minute lengths as normal, but they excecuted it well, nothing, to me, felt like it was drawn out or not worth the time. It also feels very close to the spirit of comics and that's good to see.

This is me from watching the first two.

The Legend of Gunting was a fun start, I liked how it set up everything and Nate's character of being a prankster and stuff, but not willing to do it out of cruelness. The twist about Brandon was funny , it was a fun episode, again it felt well paced and the jokes were fun, and enjoyed that.

Go, Nate, It's Your Birthday was good , had the most fun credit card plot I've seen in a looong time, and like the secondary story with Marty and Ellen as well , trying to help her get over her fear of small spaces. I like how the two plots came together as well.

I'm happy this turned out good so far.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I finished this show recently. The slice-of-life stuff usually isn't my cup of tea, but I tried it considering the people who worked on it and I ended up having a good time. The online shorts don't really represent the show. While there is gross-out humor, it's not frequent and most of it happens in the Valentine's Day episode. Not every joke hits, but the best ones actually got some laughs from me. There's a surprising amount of dark, edgy humor. There's a variety between slapstick, quips, and tons of blended media.

The last part leads to some neat animation switches between CGI, 2D, realistic photos, and other stuff. It made the show interesting to look at. The regular animation is also pretty good, with some expressive models and very textured designs and objects. I know some people won't like how the eyes look, but you can get used to them pretty fast.

I liked the characters overall, with Dee Dee probably being my favorite of the kids. Nate's voice kind of annoyed me, but the show did a good job making him likable. I think Teddy is the only one who doesn't really seem to have much a personality to stand out, and his voice doesn't really fit the character model that much. I also like the performances by Kevin Michael Richardson and Michael Rivkin as Principal Nichols and Mr. Galvin. I was surprised they got Jack Black in a guest role, even if it was for a one-off role. I guess they spent a lot of money on the show, considering the frequent use of licensed music.

Overall, it's a fun show. Nothing huge, but I'd check out the second season whenever it comes out.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
So just finished the first 8 episodes.

Any idea when the next batch is coming?

Ghostbuster

Team Wolf Brothers!
It's hard to tell what P+'s release strategy is. It's been months since the last new Kamp Koral and Rugrats episodes (barring the Holiday special) dropped.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm thinking about leaving animesuperhero forums in the future. I don't know if I want to continue posting much if nobody else is interested.
Also another thing is I have lot of stuff to do and too busy.
Happy 80th birthday to George Lucas. The Star Wars Franchise has been one of my favorites since childhood.
There were apparently whispers at Universal of a Jaws remake a few years ago.

Featured Posts