Best and worst of Nickelodeon in 2021

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
What do you think Nickelodeon did well and did poorly this year in terms of animation?

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
For good things, I liked The Loud House Movie and season 5 overall. The Casagrandes has had 3 banger specials this year. I also like Middlemost Post and Star Trek Prodigy.

As for stuff that's not so good, I'd say putting It's Pony to Nicktoons Network and barely giving attention to Middlemost Post. Even if it's shortened, I hope there's at least a season 2.

kanc

Best:
-Nick's Mega Music Fest event took place July (not 2010 for NickJr shows special, but 2021 ones) (but not happy with new episodes scoring low)
-N@N website has gotten new updates for designs (but still branding styles are still same as 2016, which is still outdated)
-Full House departed nick@nite for good (but not surprising that other channels not picking up that show)
-Nick@nite finally got christmas branding (despite with lack of variety schedule, but still..)
-California Dreaming one hour pilot finally airing on Nickelodeon
-iCarly (2021) airing on paramount plus, with first episode finally aired on nick@nite for one time

Worst:
-It's Pony move to Nicktoons, as Nick continues to air new episodes of Alvinnn!! (despite with much long months hiatus, and never showing reruns at all, nor barely even advertising it)
-Nick no longer even advertising on TV Power Rangers: Dino Fury at all for this fall (although I'm glad it would be last to air on Nick, as Netflix would be new home by next year)
-Mike & Molly that N@N acquires which was from 2010s instead of classics, and airing Sunday nights after movie despite more complaints, and worst thing to air was Sunday 9:30PM which was not meant for kids to watch
-Schedule still continues to lack variety and with last minute changes, as well as repetitive movies

Asa

Best
  • Middlemost Post
  • The Loud House Movie
  • the CGI Rugrats reboot looks solid
  • most season 13 episodes of SpongeBob premiering first on Nickelodeon U.S. rather than internationally
  • Jimmy Neutron finally getting a complete series DVD set from Shout Factory
  • Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl (I have yet to try the game out though)
Worst
  • Slow premieres of new SpongeBob episodes
  • Dumping It's Pony premieres to Nicktoons
  • Greenlighting the live-action FOP series for Paramount+ (I thought Butch Hartman was done working for Nick?)

ToonsJazzLover

Honestly, business wise, 2021 was a major stepdown for Nickelodeon from 2020. I won't judge the year from a business side, since I enjoyed most of the new programs they aired this year. But, the flaws are too hard to ignore when I review this year. Where's to start? (I will list the pros afterwards).
- The Nicktoons death treatment continuing to be a thing with Ollie's Pack and It's Pony. They had one simple job and it was to get their first season over with, but I knew something was fishy when they pulled their premieres on Nick. The long hiatus was a bad sign to come and we can guess what happened to both shows. Another reason why the executives won't listen to us.
- Unbalanced attention to shows. I get that it was the fifth anniversary of The Loud House, but did they REALLY needed to go all out with the franchise by airing new episodes almost every month as well releasing two movies in the same year (doesn't help that Casagrandes had 21 new half hours, the most of any Nicktoon this year, and yet they started reducing its screentime on Nick eventually) while ignoring other cartoons, including their own mascot? I did the math and TLH franchise aired a total of 38 new episodes while the SpongeBob franchise only got 21 half hours premieres (this includes the cable premieres of Kamp Koral, otherwise it would've been higher). I have become bitter because of this and Pony and MMP continues to be ignored by the cartoon community. By the way, I'm sorry if this is too whiny, I didn't meant to turn into a TLH vs other Nicktoons debate, I just hate the special treatment it gets.
-Repetitive movie reruns. They've done so well that this is what they'd rather air than to play non-SB/TLH cartoons. While Cartoon Network improved their movie variety by finally realizing that they have more than just LEGO movies this year, Nick continued to play nothing but the same few movies (especially if you're named SOOW, first two Despicable Me movies, and the Chipmunks movies). I question why Nick doesn't bother playing movies from Paramount Pictures including their own movie division?
-The side channels' lineup regressing to become 24/7 clones of the main channel (and the preschool block in Nick Jr's case). Compare their schedule last year (especially early on) to what they currently air and you'll be astonished to see how much they have fallen from grace. Want to watch some of your favorite shows that haven't been in production? Too bad! Have even MORE reruns of shows that you're already sick of seeing on the main channel and are still making new episodes (yes, Loud House, Paw Patrol, Blaze, I'm talking to you. SpongeBob is already oversaturated, but eventually they started expanding its screentime on Nicktoons during the morning hours). TeenNick is a little bit better as most of their favorite shows to spam has already ended. But over the past few months, I have noticed they started focusing on a genre that they seem to love so much since The Thundermans first came out in 2013: too much emphasis on superhero sitcoms. Henry Danger has now become the new Teen Titans GO: playing marathons just because the Dangerverse does something trivial like a season finale or Henry returning to Swellview (never mind that Jace Norman is still involved on DF, just as a producer). Because of how bad they have gotten, I'm going to stop archiving their schedules by the time 2022 comes. I will still graph them, but only on holidays or if they make big changes.
-Nick @ Nite. Enough said. I bragged how Nickelodeon has never suffered from network decay as long as they continue to put kids first and while Nicktoons & TeenNick often abandon their mission, they at least air cartoons (even if they're mostly the ones that are still making new episodes) and teen shows (even if it's mostly sitcoms). But N@N continues to be a walking corpse that have lost ALL of its purpose of airing retro content (and yet, Friends, the oldest show, currently airing on the block, still gets this much screentime because the nostalgia for it is still strong and IDK why). With some of their longtime classic gone, they have started acquiring shows that still feel too new (like Young Sheldon) or doesn't feel classic material (like Mike and Molly). Even worse, TLH has started creeping in the 9pm hour. It makes me wonder when they're ever going to start air classic Nick shows instead of sitcoms since we already have enough syndicated sitcom rerun networks or the two cash cow Nicktoons that we already seen enough during the day?
- You know the 2017 branding has overstayed its welcome that they decided to put NO effort whatever in rebranding the network ,especially during the holidays. Which means this is a year with recycled holiday branding instead of new ones. I hope next year gets a fresh new look (and schedule methods).

I don't want to include the schedules as a con, because no matter how we want to improve, it will NEVER get better. Even when it improves, enjoy the variety when it last before it regressed to nothing yellow and orange (which I can't stand seeing nothing but those colors, because they're two different shades of yellow). The Nick Jr block has also seen better days. Since when they started playing this much Peppa Pig? It was better when that darn British pig was only airing on Nick Jr channel. I also hate how they suddenly decide to ditch daily Blue's Clues and You reruns on October (although Bubble Guppies returning was a nice surprise, so it makes up for it) after it did so well. When the year started, Nick and Cartoon Network both have crappy schedules. Now we're back to 2013 where CN has the better schedule than Nick because they somehow remembered to bring the classics. The only classics Nick brought back this year on Nick was iCarly, just so they can promote the revival. And the show return to Nick is not a surprise because it has always aired on Nick every year aside from 2016-2017, 2019-2020.

And now for the pros:
+ Nick's version of the NFL Wild Card game. What started as an idea people doubted from the beginning ended up working in their favor as the telecast was their highest rated telecast of the channel since 2017. It had the biggest surprise from the network of the year where someone dropped a F Bomb during the show uncensored. After how exciting it went for Nick, as someone who's not too big on sports, I won't mind them covering other sports. It would make as the best substitute for Kids Sports Choice (a boring sports themed of Kids Choice Awards that they hadn't done since 2019). After all, sports (and news, even opinionated shows on cable news) keep live television afloat, so this is a great strategy to boost their ratings on the non-SB/TLH/Dangerverse shows.
+ Almost all of the shows produced by Nick to premiere this year were great addition to their growing diverse library. Drama Club is an interesting take on the mockumentary theme, Barbarian and the Troll is their first good puppet show in decades (we DO NOT speak of Mr Meaty), Rugrats is an okay reboot, Middlemost Post is the BEST Nick show to come out this year, That Girl Lay Lay feels reminiscent of Nick's past black sitcoms, NFL Slimetime is a good concept, but it's not something I'd watch every week.
+ Whatever big events they had, I was there. This year Kids Choice Awards had an interesting setup. The Music Fest week was also interesting, since the schedule improved during the weekend. And the premieres were all music themed. I hope they do another themed event again.
+ Although it was just a ploy to get Paramount+, I loved the effort NickRewind put in when they remember to play other classic Nicktoons. I was surprised to see The Mighty B! getting a handful of marathons, especially since it's a post-ATLA Nicktoon. But sadly, this will be no more after this weekend and it might as well be the last exciting thing the block will ever do from this point on.

Markus Nelis

Best:
- Premiering Middlemost Post. The show is such a masterpiece
- Having Nick's Mega Music Fest back
- Best promos, needs more credit.

Worst:
- Adding It's Pony to NickToons.
- Slow premieres of SpongeBob.
- Bad schedules mostly. Sometimes they actually had a good variety but always expect it to get back worse after a week.
- They milk as much SpongeBob as possible by having 2 spin-offs. TPSS is actually good but it wouldn't have hurt if it's episodes were on the regular SpongeBob SquarePants series instead. It was the same situation with We Bare Bears by having some Baby Bears episodes and the strategy was good. Anyway the show has a spin-off which to be honest we didn't need. They should have continued We Bare Bears couple more years to fill in these Baby Bears episodes.

Superfemg1rl

Best​

NFL Wild Card Game
Nick's Mega Music Fest.
The Smurfs.
A Loud House Christmas

Worst​

Moving It's Pony and Ollie's Pack to Nicktoons.
Not having the Kids Choice Awards in person.
Spamming of Peppa Pig on Nick Jr on Nick block back in spring.
Drama Club.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Best

NFL Game
They are trying new stuff and ordering new animated shows(and some live-action) that's good, the worry is well you know

Barbarian and the Troll, I'm glad they tried a puppet show, that was bold to do, out of their normal realm.

A Loud House Christmas

Worst

Ollie's Pack was sadly pushed aside, still not sure if it was because it was standard Can-con with 26 episodes deal going on, but it would have been fun to have more , I enjoyed it.

It's Pony same , both 2020 animated shows Nick premiered that I actually liked were shunted, haven't had a new animated series I liked from premiering since 2016 (Casagrandes is a spinoff and had built in stuff so that's different to me)

Bigawesome2000

Best:
Nickelodeon Wild Card Game
Middlemost Post
The Barbarian and the Troll
A Loud House Christmas
SpongeBob Spin-Offs
Rugrats
Star Trek: Prodigy

Worst:
Moving It’s Pony and Ollie’s Pack to Nicktoons
Continued poor scheduling
Slow airing of SpongeBob episodes, too much focus on spin-offs

Streaker Prower

Best
NFL on Nick (Both the Wild Card Game and NFL SlimeTime): Amazing Concept, hope to see some March Madness Games on Nick and CN in the future
They are trying new stuff and ordering new animated shows(and some live-action) that's good, the worry is well you know
Expanding their Premeires to an entire week with NFL SlimeTime on Wednesdays and That New Thursday Night
Middlemost Post: I cannot tell my love for the show without Turing this post into the Uncut version of King Kong, also I want to see a Toyline sold only on Amazon.com (Get it, because of Mail) or have a special Letter on Blue Clues & You! Delivered by the Middlemost Post
The Barbarian and the Troll: I'm glad they tried a puppet show, that was bold to do, out of their normal realm, and at least it’s better than Mr. Meaty.
A Loud House Christmas
SpongeBob Spin-Offs
Rugrats (2021): At least Nick did care for the 30th Anniversary of Nicktoons (And If I mean that, I mean they caused the creation of Buttercups1121 on Twitter)
Star Trek: Prodigy: With Prodigy, I expect for more Nicktoons based on Paramount Properties, Hope to see Jackass: The Kids Show in 2024
Paramount+: I just love this Streaming Service, and since the DIC Sonic Cartoons and The Sonic Movie are on Paramount+, I expect more Sonic The Hedgehog Content to arrive here soon
Baby Shark’s Big Show and The Beatbuds: Let’s Jam: Good Background Noise
Nick Mega Music Fest: Well it’s a good promotion, I hope to see Nick try a similar concept to The Hub’s Saturday Mash Up
4 Movies in the same year (One of them was like your average 2000s Disney Channel Original Movie)
iCarly (2021): FEET
That Girl Lay Lay: even if it Feels like a Female rehash of Keenan & Kel, cool concept of an AI coming into the real world
Seeing Shows that originally thought to be dumped on Side Channels airing new episodes on the main Nick Channel
Acquiring Young Sheldon for Nick @ Nite

Worst
The Current Deteriation of the Side Channels (AKA focusing what’s currently on the main channel instead of airing Ended series)
The 30th Anniversary of the Nicktoons
Nick focusing too much of it’s entire 2021 on The Loud House
Moving It's Pony and Ollie's Pack to Nicktoons
Not having the Kids Choice Awards in person
Spamming of Peppa Pig on Nick Jr on Nick block back in spring
Drama Club
Deer Squad: I thought Nick was done airing cheap PAW Patrol clones. Honestly, this show ruined their progress in improving their preschool programming
Nick@Nite (In General)

Last edited:
Best:
Acquiring Young Sheldon for Nick @ Nite
( I’m not the biggest Young Sheldon person but it’s good that Nick is actually trying with its nighttime programming)

Side Hustle getting renewed
(This is sorta selfish but whatever, me and my sister like to watch side hustle the day after they premiere on demand. Only really iCarly and to a lesser extent Victorious appeal to us both out of nicks catalog (we have very different tastes) but we both have been liking side hustle)

Nick having a steady stream of animation airing on coming up
(I used very specific wording but I will explain in the worst category, Nick fans have a lot to look forward to in 2022. Place an * after every word)

Bad

Lack of new ACTUAL Nicktoons coming soon,
(That’s not this years fault, and is more of 2022’s problem but I still think it should be talked about, there are
10 “nicktoons” coming up but 3 are based off of pre-existing franchises (Transformers, Monster High, and Garfield), 1 is based off a movie (Adventures in Wonder Park) at least 3 are from books (Pheboe and Her Unicorn, Real Pigeons Fight Crime, Max and the Midknights, and possibly Rock Paper Scissors which I couldn’t find much on))

Lack of live action coming up
(There is only one new live action show coming up, Warped, which looks, good enough. But Warped is premiering in January and it looks to be the only LA project dropping this year)

Lackluster Treatment of all Nicktoons not in the SpongeBob SquarePants or Loud House franchises.
(This problem seemed to be starting to go away in 2020 but it came back in full force, Ollie’s Pack always felt like filler content to me, but it had a decent fanbase and pretty good ratings, yet was shunted to nicktoons, It’s pony was also doing fairly well get was shunted to nicktoons and will definitely finish its run in 2022. Rugrats reboot got little to no reruns from the start. And Middlemost post didn’t get a peep from either the cartoon community or Nick after the summer. But there is one show that somehow survived)

Alvin and the Chipmunks continues to exist and do nothing more
(Alvin and the Chipmunks has been struggling to justify itself more and more every year, it came at a time when Nick was struggling and worked wonders ratings-wise, yet each year more and more people forget it exists, its suffered the Adventure Time fate , people would see it airing, go “Oh, that shows still on?” And then click away, yet unlike Adventure Time Alvin doesn’t have the Creativity or fanbase to last as long as it has)

Streaker Prower

Lack of new ACTUAL Nicktoons coming soon,
(That’s not this years fault, and is more of 2022’s problem but I still think it should be talked about, there are
10 “nicktoons” coming up but 3 are based off of pre-existing franchises (Transformers, Monster High, and Garfield), 1 is based off a movie (Adventures in Wonder Park) at least 3 are from books (Pheboe and Her Unicorn, Real Pigeons Fight Crime, Max and the Midknights, and possibly Rock Paper Scissors which I couldn’t find much on))
So With a Transformers Cartoon by Nick coming next year, I hope that the Sonic Cartoon after Sonic Prime will be by Nick (Due to the Paramount Movies)

SG-17

Scheduling a really nice Christmas lineup on NickRewind only to pull it at last minute to replace it with iCarly and essentially kill the block.

kanc

Scheduling a really nice Christmas lineup on NickRewind only to pull it at last minute to replace it with iCarly and essentially kill the block.
Don't forget original Rugrats was also on NickRewind too (until Jan 10 which would be off the lineup)

Last edited:

Looney Turtles

Best:

The Rugrats reboot, which while not as good as the original show, is still decent, and it'sgreat tosee Rugrats return in some form.

The iCarly revival, which manages to be as good the original show.

Paramount+ bringing in shows we'll probably never see on any Nickelodeon channel again.

The weekend marathons on NickSplat

The Patrick Star Show, a much better spin-off than Kamp Koral.

Worst:

The holiday scheduling for NickSplat

It's Pony being moved to Nicktoons

Hunter Street Season 4 never came to the US.

Kamp Koral, an unnecessary spin-off.

toonmaster17

Best: NickRewind bringing back some classic Nicktoons throughout the year.

Worst: Paramount+, which is slowly but surely killing off Nickelodeon.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

At this moment, it's very unlikely that Walpurgisnacht: Rising will ever be released. What do you think?
This fall I will get 24 new VHSs, with that the number of cassettes will increase to 41. I need to re-digitize the ones I already have since my old Youtube channel was terminated in 2022, along with the new ones. As I left Youtube, the digitized VHS archive will be given to other people.
Minor gripe with the otherwise fine Yurikuma Arashi dub: "But also, we loved from the beginning as well." Using "also" and "as well" in the same sentence is redundant.

Featured Posts