"Batman: Soul of the Dragon" Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
IGN has the trailer.

The IGN article mentions a January 12, 2021 Digital release and on 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack and Blu-ray on January 26, 2021.
The ensemble cast features a core group of actors playing martial arts students-turned-heroes in David Giuntoli (Grimm, A Million Little Things) as Bruce Wayne/Batman, Mark Dacascos (John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum, Iron Chef America, Hawaii Five-0) as Richard Dragon, Kelly Hu (Arrow, X2: X-Men United) as Lady Shiva and Michael Jai White (Spawn, reprising his role from Arrow) as Ben Turner/Bronze Tiger. Their mentor O-Sensei is voiced by James Hong (Big Trouble in Little China, Blade Runner). Josh Keaton (Voltron: Legendary Defender; Green Lantern: The Animated Series) is featured as Jeffrey Burr, and additional voices are provided by veteran Voice Over actors Grey Griffin, Chris Cox, Erica Luttrell, Robin Atkin Downes, Patrick Seitz, Jamie Chung, and Eric Bauza. Sam Liu (Reign of the Supermen, Batman: The Killing Joke) is Producer and Director of Batman: Soul Of The Dragon, utilizing a script by Jeremy Adams (Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge). Michael Uslan is Executive Producer. Bruce Timm (Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: Red Son) and Sam Register are Executive Producers.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member

Otaku-sempai

This looks fantastic with some really nice animation.
The art style is pretty simple, but--budgetary considerations. I'm diggin' the funky score though!

EDIT (11/18): Bronze Tiger definitely has a Jim Kelly (Enter the Dragon) vibe.
1605713227473.png

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
This looks pretty awesome. The characters are animated well enough and the 70s setting is cool. Batman sounds better than I expected (to be fair I wasn't really too familiar with his actor), and the rest of the fighters are also good based on this short trailer. I like the parallels between Richard Dragon and Bruce Lee, Bronze Tiger's style and Shiva's dedication. Plus I always kind of had a soft spot for Kobra, so it's cool seeing them as the villains here. I'm looking forward to the movie, seems like a good way to start the year.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I'm a bit surprised they didn't include "Return of the Fearsome Fangs" from The Brave and the Bold as a bonus episode, but that's a minor complaint. Everything else seems great.

Also it seems
Wonder Woman is on the spine of the cover, continuing the image started on the Superman: Man of Tomorrow cover. I don't think the two movies are supposed to be in the same continuity though.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'm a bit surprised they didn't include "Return of the Fearsome Fangs" from The Brave and the Bold as a bonus episode, but that's a minor complaint. Everything else seems great.
In the past, a few releases changed what the classic episodes are. So there's a slight change we may still see Fearsome Fangs on it.

EDIT: Glad to see it looks like there will be a dedication to the late Dennis O'Neil.

83 minutes. Okay, still keeping the longer runtimes.

Rated R for "some violence." Some? lol.

Last edited:

Otaku-sempai

83 minutes is still a pretty short runtime as feature-length movies go; and it's right in the middle for these direct-to-video animated films.

Frontier

Staff member
In the past, a few releases changed what the classic episodes are. So there's a slight change we may still see Fearsome Fangs on it.

EDIT: Glad to see it looks like there will be a dedication to the late Dennis O'Neil.

83 minutes. Okay, still keeping the longer runtimes.

Rated R for "some violence." Some? lol.
Considering the content of the movie, dedicating it to O'Neil makes the most sense :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Looking at the Boomerang Imaginary Rebrand pitch really makes me wish that we get this rebrand instead of what we got in 2015.

I was at my local Wal-Mart, and they had merchandise out for the new Garfield movie. There's a plush doll of Baby Garfield that meows, and you have to feed him a piece of lasagna or pizza.
I want to thank both Silverstar and Goldstar for their awesome posts and great presence in this forum. Love ya!
Hey, internet: You all owe Natasha Klein (creator of Primos) an apology. It doesn't matter if you want to watch the show or not. There was no logical reason to unleash that level of vitriol over just a few words, especially before the show has even aired. Now all of y'all line up and tell her you're sorry.

Featured Posts