"X-Men '97 (Disney+)" Animated Series News & Discussion, Part 2 (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
It's weird because Deadpool did have a couple of cameos on the original series, when he wasn't as famous as he is now. I figured him and Carol Danvers would appear here instead of Captain America (not that I'm complaining).

With this embargo in place it kind of reminds me how Batman related characters couldn't appear on Justice League Unlimited.

Frontier

Staff member
It's weird because Deadpool did have a couple of cameos on the original series, when he wasn't as famous as he is now. I figured him and Carol Danvers would appear here instead of Captain America (not that I'm complaining).

With this embargo in place it kind of reminds me how Batman related characters couldn't appear on Justice League Unlimited.
Marvel Animation trying to take cue from the successes of DC Animation, even the embargos :p.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Speaking of, with Wolverine on the show and now cameos of Spidey and Hulk (well, thanks to Morph anyway), we basically have 3/4 of a Fantastic Four line-up. Will Ghost Rider pop up next? Or the real, original F4 team? :p

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Speaking of, with Wolverine on the show and now cameos of Spidey and Hulk (well, thanks to Morph anyway), we basically have 3/4 of a Fantastic Four line-up. Will Ghost Rider pop up next? Or the real, original F4 team? :p
They might be saving Ghost Rider so they can do a Spider-Man '98 team-up :p.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
05/14:
Some viewership data:
Per Variety, Echo is the second-most viewed Disney+ series in 2024, only trailing the popular live-action book adaptation, Percy Jackson and Olympians. When assessing the share of viewership time across all Disney+ shows this year, Echo has 11.8% of the streamer's overall viewing hours, well behind Percy Jackson and the Olympians at 23.3%. The next-closest original series to Echo is the recently released X-Men '97 Season 1 at 6.8%.

EDIT:
Nominated for "Breakthrough Drama Series" at the Gotham TV Awards.

05/17:
How X-Men '97 sets the stage for season 2.

New EW article; possible spoilers. Also addresses kick-staring season 3.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
05/19:
Missed this before but Variety also posted an interview with Brad Winderbaum following the season finale. (Again, possible spoilers)

05/21:
More viewership data. The Season finale had "3.5M views globally in its first five days on the streaming platform. That makes it the most-viewed full-length animation series finale since Season 1 of What If…?, the Walt Disney Company says. [...] As an added bonus, Disney also says that viewership for the original 1992 X-Men animated series has doubled since X-Men ’97 premiered."

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I forgot about this, but the Assembled special about the making of the show debuts today on Disney+. It can be discussed here, if anyone wants to comment on it, or if there's any new or interesting trivia revealed in the documentary.

Rick Jones

Big Fan
Staff member
I just finished the Assembled special. I'm a sucker for these kinds of things, so I was going to check it out as soon as I realized that it was released today. It showcases some of the origin of the original series, which we diehards have become very familiar with in recent years. There is also a lot of focus on the voice acting (it's lovely seeing Norm Spencer honored). I just wish that a little more light was shone on the technical aspect, and also the writing. It's a shame that Beau DeMayo was excised, after knowing how much of an architect he was of the final season. Amelia Vidal, Theo James and Catherine Disher would have been welcome faces too.

thisithis

If anything Disney should thank Universal Studios and the late Michael Edens for the success of X-Men 97. Even though Exosquad came out at the same time as the original X-Men Animated Series, Batman TAS was kicking both X-Men Animated Series and Exosquad's buts. Even though Exosquad's ratings were good an odd lawsuit from FASA Corporation on Playmates and the reason why Universal Studios may have canceled Exosquad. And the X-Men Animated Serie already sharing some of the writers with Exosquad, Universal Studios killing Exosquad turned out to be a good thing for the X-Men Animated Serie. Most of the writers in Universal Studios left angry at Universal Studios including the late Michael Edens to work on the X-Men Animated Serie for Fox. Some of those stories Michael Edens before sadly dying from cancer just a few years ago can be seen in X-Men 97. Of course, he did die cursing out Universal Studios for not letting him finish Exosquad's storyline. even though he didn't create the character Morph, he did flush out the relationship between Wolverine and Morph more.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"Five Interesting Facts From The Making Of X-Men 97"​

x-men-97-show-65f9e1474d43d.jpeg

"Two X-Men 97 posts in one day? The show is just that good. If you haven’t seen it yet, go see it, and then return here for a breakdown of the making-of documentary that Disney+ just posted.

The doc is part of the Marvel Assembled series, and goes into not just X-Men 97 but the original series itself, who was behind it, its appeal and anything interesting that happened in the background. Beau DeMayo has been wiped from the doc entirely and you wouldn’t know he existed if this was all you saw, but here are the five most interesting facts we learned today otherwise:"

Read the full article here.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Inside Out 2 is gonna be doing huge box office numbers.

Here's adult animation category ballot for Emmy Awards 2024. I'm hoping that Praise Petey will get in the final line-up.

I don't know where to post this...
but Alvin and the Chipmunks movie is in development of Disney.

I guess Nick is officially done with this franchise for now.
Happy 20th Birthday to the Cartoon Network City Era!

Featured Posts