Will Paramount Global's weakness as a media company affect Nickelodeon?

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Will Paramount Global's weakness as a media company affect Nickelodeon? It's no surprise that Paramount is the weakest of the big companies and seems like the most likely to either be acquired by a bigger player or sold for parts so the shareholders can make some sort of profit from it:

What do you think this will mean for Nickelodeon? Will it get sold by Paramount or will Paramount be bought by some bigger player and Nick will be owned by someone else? Or does the problems of Paramount not have a big effect on Nickelodeon?

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Will Paramount Global's weakness as a media company affect Nickelodeon? It's no surprise that Paramount is the weakest of the big companies and seems like the most likely to either be acquired by a bigger player or sold for parts so the shareholders can make some sort of profit from it:

What do you think this will mean for Nickelodeon? Will it get sold by Paramount or will Paramount be bought by some bigger player and Nick will be owned by someone else? Or does the problems of Paramount not have a big effect on Nickelodeon?
Don’t listen to that article nor anything from that websites. The article is old anyway.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Don’t listen to that article nor anything from that websites. The article is old anyway.

Fair enough, but I was listening to Hollywood industry podcast called the Town and it said that Paramount Global was one of the weaker media companies. That podcast came out yesterday:

It's a fair topic and it's not just one source talking about it.

harry580

so, what the future of paramount global, will it get brought out by a company (maybe Wanda group will buy it like they almost did in 2016)

Insidus

so, what the future of paramount global, will it get brought out by a company (maybe Wanda group will buy it like they almost did in 2016)
Not a bad idea as there won't be offloading anything but Paramount as a whole is a struggling while Netflix and Disney can generate $150-$200 billion Paramount on the other can generate less than $10 billion.

Ace

Ace
All these old media companies are doing bad. WBD and Disney too have lots of problems.

but yeah it's already affected Nickelodeon in some ways perhaps in them not wanting to take risks and just relying more on legacy franchises and reboots rather than new stuff.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
All these old media companies are doing bad. WBD and Disney too have lots of problems.

but yeah it's already affected Nickelodeon in some ways perhaps in them not wanting to take risks and just relying more on legacy franchises and reboots rather than new stuff.

I do think Paramount is the weakest of the bunch, its market cap is like a 10th of what Disney's is.

I was listening to an entertainment podcast that selected Paramount would either be sold outright to someone else or strip-mined and sold for parts:

I think the fact that Nick canceled almost everything but Spongebob and Loud House over the last couple of years didn't help the brand, but it's not in as bad shape as MTV, Paramount destroyed that brand completely.

• Winner
Reactions: Ace

harry580

I like to see what podcast people are saying who is buying paramount because im not into podcasts (well, expect for some)

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
I won't be surprise if David Ellison bought paramount, I mean, they can easily fold skydance into paramount since nearly all of skydance movies are paramount
I wouldn’t mind if Mr. Ellison bought Paramount Global. At least the Redstones can finally be free from managing what they had for many years. The only condition is that either Skydance Animation be shut down or John Lasseter leave and head into retirement.

They talked about possible mergers between Paramount and Warner Bros or Paramount and Comicast or Paramount getting bought up by a private investor like David Ellison:

If Comcast did decide to buy Paramount, they would have to sell off NBCUniversal for antitrust reasons. Maybe David Ellison could take in NBCU, @harry580, if that happened.

There is absolutely no way WB and Paramount will merge. It’s all baloney spread by Zaslav and Malone so they can be bullies.

Last edited:

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I wouldn’t mind if Mr. Ellison bought Paramount Global. At least the Redstones can finally be free from managing what they had for many years. The only condition is that either Skydance Animation be shut down or John Lasseter leave and head into retirement.

If Comcast did decide to buy Paramount, they would have to sell off NBCUniversal for antitrust reasons. Maybe David Ellison could take in NBCU, @harry580, if that happened.

There is absolutely no way WB and Paramount will merge. It’s all baloney spread by Zaslav and Malone so they can be bullies.

At this point NBC universal is worth far more than Paramount Global, that would not be a good trade.

I think this topic has become more relevant with recent news that Sherri Redstone is desperate to find a buyer for Paramount:

However I listened to a podcast recently that suggested the Paramount pictures studio would be the biggest prize from that company and everything else could be sold in a fire sale, which means Nickelodeon could end up run by a private equity firm that would try to drain Nickelodeon for the carriage fees until it is no longer profitable.

Last edited:

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
However I listened to a podcast recently that suggested the Paramount pictures studio would be the biggest prize from that company and everything else could be sold in a fire sale, which means Nickelodeon could end up run by a private equity firm that would try to drain Nickelodeon for the carriage fees until it is no longer profitable.

Having every other asset of Paramount be sold off is that same old analyst speculation. Matt and Bill are having the same speculation analysts have.

Anyway, I believe that it’s just David Ellison himself that wants Paramount Global, which allows him to merge his two companies and absorb Skydance into Paramount, with the former’s production company absorbed into Paramount Pictures, Skydance Animation absorbed into Paramount Animation, and the other divisions of Skydance being renamed/rebranded.

Last edited:

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I think this thread deserves an update, with Paramount shares reduced to junk status, Paramount cancelling Nick shows for tax write offs and Nick getting a PR black eye from that recent HBO documentary.

I wonder if Paramount will be unable to sell the entire company to someone and will have to do a fire sale? Sell Paramount Studios to one company, sell Star Trek to another, sell Nickelodeon to someone else, etc. Though, how much would Nickelodeon be worth after this latest scandal?

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
I wonder if Paramount will be unable to sell the entire company to someone and will have to do a fire sale? Sell Paramount Studios to one company, sell Star Trek to another, sell Nickelodeon to someone else, etc. Though, how much would Nickelodeon be worth after this latest scandal?
Quit exaggerating. I heard that it would be difficult to sell Paramount's assets piece by piece.

For Paramount Global, selling itself in pieces would be “value-destructive,” David Joyce, a media and entertainment analyst at Seaport Research Partners, wrote in a note. Carving off sections of the Paramount mountain would be complex, given the interconnectivity of the IP among the various film and TV studios under its umbrella, Joyce noted. It also would disrupt existing synergies among Paramount Global’s three segments: TV media, filmed entertainment and direct-to-consumer streaming.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Quit exaggerating. I heard that it would be difficult to sell Paramount's assets piece by piece.

It's not the preferred option for Redstone, but saying it is impossible is not correct, if Redstone gets desperate enough, she may do a firesale:

The stocks going to junk status doesn't help either.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

If I had a nickel for every time a Netflix preschool show had a same sex wedding, I'd have 2 nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's cool that it happened twice. I'm referring to Ada Twist Scientist and Princess Power by the way.
I recently decided that I will be covering a really bad children's cartoon that's been on my radar for a while over on my blog. I can't really talk about it on here because of this show's nature, but I'm bored enough and I think someone needs to analyze the show I'm talking about and yank it apart.
Come on and slam, and welcome to the jam.
Can one of the moderators here update the media embedding tool, so X can be one of the approved websites?
Well, Disney's Primos has apparently been delayed again with no announced release date, and of course the YT trolls are talking victory laps. I hope the show hasn't been permanently shelved; I don't want the haters to win.

Featured Posts