Would Nickelodeon (and it's sister networks) be better off being owned by someone else?

Latest News & Videos

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Jul 29, 2017
Even though Viacom and CBS Corporation recently merged into ViacomCBS, it still isn't as big enough as Disney, AT&T, or Comcast (Heck, the former two own two of Nickelodeon's competitors, Disney Channel & Cartoon Network!). Despite Nick trying to win back their audience, their corporate parent's smallish size is, in my opinion, getting in the way. I feel like maybe Nickelodeon, and its sister channels MTV, BET, TV Land, Logo, Comedy Central, and VH1, would be better off sold to another, bigger company, with my pick being Comcast (excluding Paramount Network). Perhaps maybe Nickelodeon, MTV, VH1, BET, etc. would be better treated under Comcast (NBCUniversal more specifically), with newer theatrical films by Nick, BET, and MTV released by Universal and Nick characters being more present at Universal Parks & Resorts. To replace said channels, ViacomCBS would either acquire all of Discovery Inc. or AMC Networks (or both). What do you guys think?

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
I think we have enough of these threads already.
But have we had thread about it on this forum, rather than the live action forum? I am actually interested in this back room stuff and I think talking about Nickelodeon only, rather than the other channels Viacom controls is relevant to this forum.

One hand, Viacom was an incompetent company and mishandled several channels, including Nick. On the other hand I do not like the type of media concentration we have seen in recent years.

I can see Viacom/CBS being a tempting target for acquiring by a tech company or a bigger media player, whether they would do a better job than Viacom at managing Nickelodeon's content is debatable.

Regardless, I think most Nickelodeon's animated content would be better on streaming than on the main channel or Nicktoons, we will see what they make for Netflix and CBS All Access.

Reactions: Zanneck

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Newington, CT, USA
(sigh) You know what they say, Elijah: be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Besides, bigger isn't always better, number one, and number two, that's not the real problem with ViacomCBS or Nickelodeon anyway. Rather (for just Nickelodeon, anyway), it's the continued overexposure* of (and seeming overreliance on) a certain yellow sponge.

There's also another saying that applies here: the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence...

*Admittedly, it's not as apparent as it once was, but it's still there.

Reactions: ShadowBeast

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Well, I do know that Nickelodeom used to be owned by Warner Bros. prior to being sold to Viacom but honestly, I can't even picture Viacom CBS being bought by either Comcast, Discovery or even AMC Networks in order to increase their size.
No one really foresaw Disney buying Fox though, we live in times of change when it comes to media.

I could see Apple or Amazon buying CBS/Viacom in order to have an actual library of stable content to put on their streaming services, I am not saying that would be a good thing, the level of media concentration we have now is creepy but I can see it happening. I doubt Congress would stop it.

Well, would that also apply to upcoming animated content for Disney Channel, Disney XD and Cartoon Network? As in they would be better on streaming than on the main channels.
I think bad scheduling is less of an issue for Cartoon Network and Disney, the situation is not as bad. At this point I think Welcome to the Wayne, Harvey Beaks and Rise of the TMNT would have been better off on Netflix than on Nick.

Regardless, it is inevitable all this stuff will move to streaming eventually.

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Newington, CT, USA
Overlord, you make it sound like it's already set in stone one way or the other, or that it's otherwise going to happen eventually. No one is really certain what's going to happen in the first place. Yes, anything can happen, but for now, if anything, I'm going to assume that ViacomeCBS will stay independent. Besides, (some of) Nickelodeon's shows are technically already available for streaming...

Really, Overlord, your post just comes off to me as being cynical if not pessimistic. Just saying.

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Overlord, you make it sound like it's already set in stone one way or the other, or that it's otherwise going to happen eventually. No one is really certain what's going to happen in the first place. Yes, anything can happen, but for now, if anything, I'm going to assume that ViacomeCBS will stay independent. Besides, (some of) Nickelodeon's shows are technically already available for streaming...

Really, Overlord, your post just comes off to me as being cynical if not pessimistic. Just saying.
Pot, Kettle. Kettle, Pot. I think you both have a lot to catch up on.
I will say in regards to my predictions, I could be wrong, but it would fit with the trends we see, Disney bought Fox, AT&T bought Warner Bros and Comcast bought NBC/Universal. Viacom/CBS is one of the last family run major media companies and that makes them seem like chum in a shark tank. I am not sure the Redstone family could resist a huge payout.

The fact that something like AppleTV+ looks like garbage that most people would not want, makes seem like Viacom/CBS a tempting target and I have no faith Congress will stop it.

That being said maybe I am wrong and the Redstone family will want to stay in the game, but to stay in, they will have to run this company better, mismanaging Nick is part of the problem (not the only part, look at Paramount Pictures). Certainty they will need a better strategy for streaming in the 2020s, than the one they had in the 2010s.

Regardless if Viacom/CBS keeps control of Nick or some other company takes control, Nickelodeon will need to be revamped for today's age. Sending good shows to Nicktoons is insane at this point.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
I will say in regards to my predictions, I could be wrong, but it would fit with the trends we see, Disney bought Fox, AT&T bought Warner Bros and Comcast bought NBC/Universal. Viacom/CBS is one of the last family run major media companies and that makes them seem like chum in a shark tank. I am not sure the Redstone family could resist a huge payout.

The fact that something like AppleTV+ looks like garbage that most people would not want, makes seem like Viacom/CBS a tempting target and I have no faith Congress will stop it.

That being said maybe I am wrong and the Redstone family will want to stay in the game, but to stay in, they will have to run this company better, mismanaging Nick is part of the problem (not the only part, look at Paramount Pictures). Certainty they will need a better strategy for streaming in the 2020s, than the one they had in the 2010s.

Regardless if Viacom/CBS keeps control of Nick or some other company takes control, Nickelodeon will need to be revamped for today's age. Sending good shows to Nicktoons is insane at this point.
Even if you're wrong, you don't deserve to be talked to that way. Especially not by a well-known troll.

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
I think bad scheduling is less of an issue for Cartoon Network and Disney, the situation is not as bad. At this point I think Welcome to the Wayne, Harvey Beaks and Rise of the TMNT would have been better off on Netflix than on Nick.

Regardless, it is inevitable all this stuff will move to streaming eventually.
Well, the What If? animated series could've worked well as a Disney XD series had Disney opted not to introduce Disney+, not to mention that the second season of Infinty Train will be debuting on HBO Max first.

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Even if you're wrong, you don't deserve to be talked to that way. Especially not by a well-known troll.
I take no offense from that, I just post for here for fun, I do not get super worked up by anything here anymore.

I could be wrong and if I am, it doesn't really bother me. I find this backroom stuff in the entertainment world mildly interesting, but I am not super emotionally invested in it, I do not work for Viacom/CBS or any company that may buy it. I still think media concentration is creepy, I do not like that Disney bought most of Fox's assets.

I think I am making an educated guess based media trends I have seen in the past decade, Disney has become a mega-corporation and mega-corporations like AT&T and Comcast have bought Warner Bros and Universal, I feel like CBS/Viacom is too tempting a target for acquiring in the upcoming streaming wars. Is that a cynical take, sure, it holds a dim view of these companies and the government's willingness to regulate them, but I do not think it is an unreasonable theory given past events, it is not an absolute certainty either, but it is a possibility. Looking at the AppleTV+ app, Nick content would certainly make that more appealing, because they have almost nothing on that thing.

Regardless, if the Redstone family wants to tough it out in the new media landscape, they need to up their game, with Nick and everything else.

Well, the What If? animated series could've worked well as a Disney XD series had Disney opted not to introduce Disney+, not to mention that the second season of Infinty Train will be debuting on HBO Max first.
That is what I am saying, this stuff is inevitable, Nick should get ahead of the curve and just put more stuff on streaming, Harvey Beaks, Welcome to the Wayne and Rise of the TMNT are far better off on Netflix or even CBS All Access than they are on Nicktoons.

Last edited:

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Well I guess they could go to Disney, but they already own so many stuff.
I am pretty cynical towards the government's willingness to use antitrust laws to stop these corporate mergers, but even I doubt Congress would let Disney buy CBS/Viacom after Disney just bought out Fox. Plus I do not think Disney will make another big move like that anytime soon, they would want to consolidate all the stuff from Fox first.

It would be another player if it is acquired by someone else, either an established media player like Comcast or AT&T or a tech firm like Amazon or Apple or someone else I that am missing.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Jul 29, 2017
I am pretty cynical towards the government's willingness to use antitrust laws to stop these corporate mergers, but even I doubt Congress would let Disney buy CBS/Viacom after Disney just bought out Fox. Plus I do not think Disney will make another big move like that anytime soon, they would want to consolidate all the stuff from Fox first.

It would be another player if it is acquired by someone else, either an established media player like Comcast or AT&T or a tech firm like Amazon or Apple or someone else I that am missing.
I'd agree on either Comcast, Amazon, or Apple acquiring ViacomCBS. AT&T already owns one Nick's rivals, Cartoon Network.

Sony would also be another contender for ViacomCBS, I believe.

*On second thought, I don't think Comcast should acquire ViacomCBS, since they already have a standard broadcast television network (NBC) in their hands.

Last edited:

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
I'd agree on either Comcast, Amazon, or Apple acquiring ViacomCBS. AT&T already owns one Nick's rivals, Cartoon Network.

Sony would also be another contender for ViacomCBS, I believe.

*On second thought, I don't think Comcast should acquire ViacomCBS, since they already have a standard broadcast television network (NBC) in their hands.
Disney bought Fox, which let's Disney control the Fox Channel and ABC and Comcast tried to buy Fox and it owns NBC. I could see either Comcast or AT&T buying CBS/VIACOM.

But if anyone is going to acquire CBS/VIACOM, I would bet on one of the tech companies. AppleTV+ is a streaming service with 7 shows on it, that is pathetic, I could see CBS/VIACOM being a tempting target if either Apple or Amazon cared about the streaming Wars. Seriously, Apple is one of the richest companies in the world and this is the streaming service they make?

MegasMilo379

Quenched.
May 28, 2016
Disney bought Fox, which let's Disney control the Fox Channel
Fox the channel isn't owned (and therefore controlled) by Disney, as FCC laws prohibit it from owning more than one broadcast network. Its independently owned now.
I could see either Comcast or AT&T buying CBS/VIACOM.
Not. Gonna. Happen. (At least in Comcast's case.) See the first post as to why.

And personally I'm done with mergers right now, as they'll get us to the monopoly we all so desperately don't want happening.

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Fox the channel isn't owned (and therefore controlled) by Disney, as FCC laws prohibit it from owning more than one broadcast network. Its independently owned now.

Not. Gonna. Happen. (At least in Comcast's case.) See the first post as to why.

And personally I'm done with mergers right now, as they'll get us to the monopoly we all so desperately don't want happening.
Fair enough, I stand corrected. You are right then, CBS/Viacom will not be acquired by Comcast or AT&T, but I could still it being acquired.

And don't get me wrong, I am not saying these mergers are a good thing, I actually think it's creepy that Disney owns Fox now, but I am just seeing where the trends go. If one of the big tech companies, like Apple or Amazon, became serious about being a big player in the streaming wars, acquiring a smaller player would instantly give them more clout. I do not like media concentration, but I think we will see more of it. These things will happen, whether we like it or not.

Disney, AT&T, and Comcast are the mega-corporations that dominate the media landscape, Sony is a step below them, Sony is a big corporation, but does not have the same media reach as those other 3 companies. Then you have smaller players, starting with CBS/Viacom than moving done to even smaller players like MGM and Lionsgate. I do think these smaller companies could easily become fodder for bigger companies that want a deeper media presence.

I even like Netflix may be acquired or suffer a fire sale eventually, just because Netflix comes off as a house of cards, sure its the biggest streaming, but it is taking on massive debt to remain relevant, the bill will come due eventually.

Look at the entertainment that has been acquired by bigger players over the last couple of decades: Pixar, Marvel, NBC/Universal, Warner Bros, Lucasfilms, Fox, Rooster Teeth, DreamWorks, etc. The amount of independent players has shrunk a lot this century and I do not think that is a trend that will reverse itself any time soon.

Last edited:

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Not sure how relevant this is, but I think they may need to re-evaluate their modus operandi once they get the ball rolling for big properties they've recently acquired. Even if they aren't as big as the other parties.
Fair enough, it does seem like the Redstone family is making noises about staying in the game at the moment, so they could just stick it out, rather than try to sell it. CBS/Viacom as a combined company is a more tempting target for acquiring, but it also it makes this combined company more of a presence in the market place.

As for whether being bought by another company would make their content better, maybe? Depends on the company. If they get acquired by Amazon or Apple, they would get insane resources, but what do Apple or Amazon know about the entertainment industry? Apple TV+ looks like the worst streaming service I have heard of. Apple has a trillion dollars, the same as Canada's GDP and the Apple TV+ app has 7 shows, it is the worse streaming service around. I think Viacom was one of the most incompetently run entertainment companies around, which is why it was in dire straights for a while, but Amazon or Apple may not be any better.

Last edited: