Why is Scrappy Doo hated in the Scooby Doo community?

Warrior Kitana

A Whole New World
I was just wondering. I haven't paid much attention to Scrappy before, nor do I care greatly for his character but I've noticed that he is quite disliked among the Scooby community. To some, he ruined the whole Scooby show. I can see where several would find him annoying, but he has quite a large hate following. It's kinda like Tom Sloane from Daria. Why do people hate Scrappy so much?

Superperson

is dead
Because he's an annoying character, who didn't fit into the show at all in my opinion, Scooby wasn't that great of a show to begin with, and un-nescicerrily adding an annoying sidekick didn't help it.

Marble

Worms and plastic minnows!
The fact that he is able to maintain an intelligent and clearly (though annoyingly) spoken vocabulary annoys me. He was added to try and increase ratings apparantly and I hate it when shows do that because they totally ruin it.

Fans of Scooby Doo don't like Scrappy Doo simply becuase he is an annoying,frustrating,unlikeable character who is responsible for the single biggest Shark-Jump since the Fonz jumped the shark.( see jumptheshark.com to find out what that means...):)

Juu-kuchi

Everypony's Starry-Eyed
Annoying little brat who thought he could kick ass. Scooby should have let him "Let me at 'em" at the monsters and had Scrappy show what puppy power was really like.

His portrayal in the Scooby-Doo movie was a highlight as well.

MahouShoujo13

...is bored out of her mind.
Possibly because he is idiotically annoying. And I agree with Superperson, "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?" wasn't that much of a good mystery show. Why add a sidekick that would at worse case scenario ruin things?

If you want a real mystery show, go watch the anime "Case Closed"/"Detective Conan". Much better.

Zach Williams

MusikExpressFan said:
Scrappy was a pretty annoying and a little brat to begin with. I'm just glad that He was only on a few eipsodes. :mad: :mad:

A few episodes!!!! He was in 13 Ghosts, Scooby and Scrappy-DOo, All New Scooby and Scrappy Hour, and The New Scooby Doo Movies. Thta's not a "few episodes". I liked the charecter actually, and I did not hate him or want him to leave in anyway. He can get a bit annoying, so I can agree with you there, but I also dont know why people hate him. I can understand why the hardcore Scooby fans hate him, but just people!!! WHY????

STARTOUNZ

Best buds since the Stone Age
Zach Williams said:
A few episodes!!!! He was in 13 Ghosts, Scooby and Scrappy-DOo, All New Scooby and Scrappy Hour, and The New Scooby Doo Movies.
Scrappy wasn't featured in The New Scooby-Doo Movies (1972). He made his debut in The Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Show (1979).

magicjac

Re

STARTOUNZ said:
Scrappy wasn't featured in The New Scooby-Doo Movies (1972). He made his debut in The Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Show (1979).
That's what I was about to say. I think Zach Williams meant "New Scooby Doo Mysteries", not "Movies". Anyways, Scrappy Doo was an annoying charcater, but I didn't hate him. I mean, "Scooby Doo, Where Are You?" actually was a great show, and Scrappy wasn't added to the show just to make it better. In case spme people don't know, Scrappy Doo didn't premeire until 1979 in "Scooby & Scrappy Doo". Before 1979, not only was there "Scooby Doo, Where Are You?", there were " The New Scooby Doo Movies" in 1972 and "The Scooby Doo Show" in 1976. Scrappy Doo was just added to the show for something new to approach. SDWAY already had good ratings, NSDM had two successful seasons in 1972, and TSDS had 3 successful seasons combined with other shows and by itself. And sorry MahouShoujo13, I'd take "Scooby Doo" over "Detective Conan" ANY DAY.

Warrior Kitana

A Whole New World
The reason I brought up this question was while watching the Scooby Doo marathon over the weekend (mainly because nothing else was on), a friend of mine pointed out how hated he was among Scooby fans. Scrappy has always been a character that I neither despised or cared about. He was just sorta...there.

By the time of his debut, Scobby had been airing for over ten years I think and maybe to add a sidekick/new main character would turn off loyal fans. I've seen that happen to several series /ex: Tom Sloane (Daria), Pan (DBGT), Sakuya (Tenchi In Tokyo, etc.)

As for MahouShoujo13 who said Detective Conan was a better series. I'll admit the series has much better mystery than Scooby, but as far great mysteries go, I've seen better. The series also has the same episodic plots as Scooby.

Zach Williams

Warrior Kitana said:
As for MahouShoujo13 who said Detective Conan was a better series. I'll admit the series has much better mystery than Scooby, but as far great mysteries go, I've seen better. The series also has the same episodic plots as Scooby.

Iff you want entertaining mysteries, watch the first season of Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries. Pure CLASSIC!!!! The second season, well, sucked, with no real mysteries. Detective Conan is really good, so I guess I would take that. But, Scooby, you can watch at anytime.

And, my bad, It was "The New Scooby Doo Mysteries", Not "Movies".
:ack: :eek:

Originally posted by Warrior Kitana
Scrappy has always been a character that I neither despised or cared about. He was just sorta...there.
That sums it up for me. I actually have fond memories of watching 'Scooby & Scrappy Doo' as a youngster so that balances it all out.

Dee

What?
I hate the sound of the character's voice. I wish they had picked a better voice.

That and the character is always the tough little dude. Isn't that a stereotypical cartoon character?

Zechs

Rabbit in a box
Becuse he's a jerk. When I watched scobby it always seemed like scrappy was forcing scooby to fight. I mean scobby usaly came around on his on ( even if it took a few scobby snacks) But scrappy seemed like a pushy little jerk. Always trying to make scooby do things by force.

AdamYJ

The Saturday Morning Kid
I don't know. I kind of like Scrappy. At least there was a character who actually wanted to take on the "monsters" head on. Personally, I never got why none of them ever tried that. They're always just crooks in masks who never carry any weapons and the Scooby Gang always outnumbered them. After a while, Scooby and Shaggy's cowardice annoyed the heck out of me. Also, Scrappy calmed down a little bit in 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo which made him easier to deal with.

Of course, I've never been much of a Scooby fan. Most of the traditional mysteries were annoyingly formulaic. I always liked it better when the gang went up against REAL monsters rather than crooks in masks, like in 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo or Scooby Doo on Zombie Island.

StarScream64

Hero of Time
Yeah, I liked the real monsters, too. I think the 13 Ghosts was my favorite of the Scooby shows.

As for the reason behind all the Scrappy hate. Two words: [annoying semi-brooklyn-esque accent shouted in a high-pitched, grating voice] "PUPPY PU-POWER!!!"

I didn't realize just how much Scrappy was hated until I ran across a Shoot Scrappy game on Cartoonnetwork.com

tucsoncoyote

Time to get my "Game face" on
Why Scrappy Doo is so misunderstood and not liked... my spin

Actually I've viewed a number of Scrappy doo epsidoes in a lot of the Scooby doo Series and I have to speak up on why he's really not very appealing..

First off his "Loose Cannon" Attitude.. that's right Scrappy is a Loose Cannon from the word go.. why? Easy... While the Rest of the people around him (Shaggy, Scooby, Daphne, and even Flim-flam (on the 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo) were trying to either solve the mystery or get out of the way and keep safe, this "Loose Cannon" decided to go in with a "The Devil May Care attitude and tried to take on the villain/ghost/demon head on.. He's sort of a Minature version of "Rambo" with a Rotweiler Attitude trapped in the Body of a Great Dane, even though he is puppy sized..

Second and more importantly was the VA who voiced Scrappy... The VA's who did Scrappy are partially to blame here and in fact they give Scrappy an "Edginess" that really hurt more then helped the character... with Comments Like "Let me at them!" and "Take that Evil Monster!" and "I'll Splattify them!" (Yes I have heard that last one a couple of Times) it's no wonder that Scrappy's disliked...

Third, The Devil May careless, but Scrappy is perhaps one of the most Annoying and least like characters thanks to the first two observations.. after all when you hear his voice, and look at his attitude.. you know he's not going to be liked over even loved.. Frankly he has a Grittiness of Rough Sandpaper and in fact makes you wonder... why did Bill (Hanna) and Joe (Barbera) even consider him to be a character? What was their thought pattern on this..?

all in all he may be a brat, he may be whiny sounding.. but Scrappy should not be disliked.. but sadly he is because Frankly Scrappy probably came from a broken home litter.. (After all he sees Scooby as a Father figure, probably something he didn't have..) even though scooby is a bit of a Coward...

but that's my opinion on this..

:coyote:

Eddie G.

Former Wolf/Writer.
Well here's the thing, any and all Scooby cartoons (Well maybe not Pup, that was decent) aren't very good. And none of the main characters have ever been that great, Scooby and Shaggy were the only sort of interesting characters which explains why Scooby became Shag's dog and Shag is shown a little more than the rest of the gang. So I don't really hate Scrappy since I don't think there was any greatness to destroy, and I think while he's not a great character he is more interesting and fleshed out than oh say... Fred.

The character himself has a pretty poor character design, I can't put my finger on it but something about it doesn't make the character look as cute as he should. He's voice is... okay... it fits but once again they were going for cute and the voice is not that cute. I do like the concept and think he was the best of the Doo family members. He can be funny or fun, but usually he's just a meh character.

I don't see him as a disgrace to the once "great" name, Doo. I think people don't like him mainly because after ...Where Are You? the Scooby shows slowly lost the feel of the original series. By the time Scrappy came on it was just like the franchise was giving you the finger yelling, "Nah, nah, nah, things are different." Of course this would not always apply to people like me who growing up watching the Scooby toons as one big mish mash of all the shows.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

did I just get threatened by breakfast cereal
I’ve come to a realization. With Superman, Unicorn, Checkered Past, and now Invincible Fight Girl, Adult Swim is straying away from their mission of being adult-only animation, one that’s even in their NAME, to get more advertisers.

The exact reason why CN Real existed.
I REALLY HOPE Adult Swim puts an episode of American Dad before Sailor Moon on Toonami Rewind, CN's shows are NOT CAPABLE giving ratings by their sheer popularity.

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.

Featured Posts