Why don't ended shows stay on in reruns as long as they used to?

HunterMon17

When I was a kid (I was born in 2002, and starting remembering in 2005), and a show on Cartoon Network ended, it would usually stay on in reruns for up to four or five more years. In more recent years, once a show is ended, it's usually gone in less than a year, and in some cases never stays on in reruns at all. What was the reason for this change to happen?

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Reruns lost their value after it became very easy to get access to every episode with just a few search words.

Inb4 someone responds to me with a CN schedule grid that's 70% TTG and Gumball reruns. I don't understand that logic either.

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
Inb4 someone responds to me with a CN schedule grid that's 70% TTG and Gumball reruns. I don't understand that logic either.

In the case of the TTG/AWOG, nevermind the overplay, as both are still airing premiers which is why they're on the schedule. Can't say for sure what the scenario looks like once both are done. There's a chance one or both stick around a good while especially with TTG being a proven ratings grabber for repeats, CN could still use it to lead in to other new shows/premiers to bolster those.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Considering that people can usually watch reruns whenever they want to nowadays, devoting much of their schedules to reruns of shows that aren't even in production anymore probably doesn't sound like the best idea from a business perspective. They can use that time promote either brand new shows or popular shows that are still in production.

Action!

Because after a certain amount of time CN doesn’t care about the shows that ended and decide to stop reruns of ended shows. Plus there are many ended shows that rerun on Boomerang.

TheMisterManGuy

With streaming being a thing, an entire back-catalog can be available at your fingertips. Archiving ended shows on a traditional TV schedule isn't as profitable as it used to be, so most networks don't do it, instead sticking to airing currently running shows, specifically ones that are popular.

Cartoon Network, and most networks in general, are moving away from the traditional TV model, instead relying on other ventures like their streaming apps to judge a show's success. Notice how CN no longer premieres episodes weekly anymore, instead releasing episodes in Netflix-style bulks for binge watching.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Wow you're young also like what everyone said streaming basically, TV is dying out and streaming is pretty much the future.

Dudley

Staff member
If the show was popular enough to warrant airing reruns, they wouldn’t have cancelled it in the first place. Maybe that’s a factor as well.

Also, notice how certain shows that are set to end, barely get air time and have new episodes air with little promotion.

But in all honesty, it’s basically what everyone has already said: you can watch reruns in streaming platforms and onDemand. Reruns on TV are reserved for their most popular shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts