"Star Trek: Prodigy" News & Discussion Thread

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I was kind of expecting Amazon, but I'll take Netflix :).
I'm not surprised with Netflix hosting the show given what I said on the previous page.

Probably the only other streaming service I could see that would host the show would be Netflix given all the various Nickelodeon projects there.

SuperSuck64

Misanthrope Supreme
I'm glad it's not dead (or at least will be streamable again) but at the same time it's Netflix, and they're arguably the streaming service that treats animation the worst next to Max.

Honestly feels like it's not really safe anywhere these days for an animated show, even one that's part of a massively successful IP like Star Trek.

EDIT: Actually no it's even more screwed that it was on P+.
Existence is pain.

Corwin Haught

I'm glad it's not dead (or at least will be streamable again) but at the same time it's Netflix, and they're arguably the streaming service that treats animation the worst next to Max.

Honestly feels like it's not really safe anywhere these days for an animated show, even one that's part of a massively successful IP like Star Trek.

EDIT: Actually no it's even more screwed that it was on P+.
Existence is pain.
The article says that the in-house film studio is being undermined and there will be more third-party film output deals. Prodigy is a third-party TV series, so this doesn't affect it.

SuperSuck64

Misanthrope Supreme
The article says that the in-house film studio is being undermined and there will be more third-party film output deals. Prodigy is a third-party TV series, so this doesn't affect it.
Still don't expect either of them to treat it well.
We'll be lucky if we get a full Blu-ray release like season 1 did.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Not really surprised about the show's move to Netflix, given that Discovery aired on the streaming service outside North America until late 2021, which was around the same time as Paramount+'s international launch.

While I understand why some would've wanted Amazon Prime Video instead, I don't think their family-oriented animated original series have had the same major success as Netflix's. Not overall for animation since Invincible, which is adult-oriented and proved to be Amazon's first animated original series to be a major success.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I'm aware of it but what I'm saying is that Amazon hasn't had the same success as Netflix in terms of family-oriented animated shows.
It's hard to have success at something you've barely tried.

Prodigy would have been a great brand for Prime to build a kids line-up around. Already popular and well-known and would have been a great draw for people who don't see much else original on the service worth watching (at least not until Batman: Caped Crusader).

The Batman cartoon says Prime IS still trying there. Prodigy would have helped as much as Batman will.

Maybe when Netflix cancels it after season 2 Prime can have another shot at it. Which you know Netflix will. They probably only picked it up because it was practically already done. New seasons past that would cost money Netflix does not have.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Still don't expect either of them to treat it well.
We'll be lucky if we get a full Blu-ray release like season 1 did.

Netflix? Ugh. I don't expect it to last another season. Hopefully season two doesn't end on a cliffhanger.

I don't know, I am just kinda happy to get a new season regardless. Maybe Netflix will cancel it after a season or maybe we will get lucky and Netflix order another season. Regardless, it's better that Netflix host it on their site, rather than Paramount sentencing it to the shadow realm. I really liked this show

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
One thing I'm wondering is if season 2 will get a weekly release, or just drop the episodes in batches. On Paramount Plus, this was literally the only kid's show to have a weekly release schedule. The only streaming services that somewhat consistently release episodes of kids shows weekly are Disney Plus and HBO Max, and even then, it's not for every show.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?
Twitter remains super toxic, I do not recommend spending more time on there than you have to. I have friends on there, but meh.
Today marks the 25th Year Anniversary of when the Original Game of the Super Smash Bros. Franchise was released in North America. It's quite surreal to see how far Nintendo's All-Star Battle Royale Franchise has come since its early days.
I watched the first episode of Yuru Camp this morning on a whim, though I did have slight influence from a Twitter friend who really likes it. Can't believe I waited until now to give it a shot, because I really enjoyed it.
I've said this before, but the Ignore button is a life saver.

Featured Posts