Spider-Man: TNAS "Royal Scam" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate "Royal Scam" And Post Your Comments

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 1 10.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 4 40.0%

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • **1/2

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
MTV airs an all-new episode of Spider-Man tonight at 10pm (ET). The episode features the return of Michael Clarke Duncan in the role of The Kingpin, a character he played in Daredevil.

talkbacklogo.jpg

Episode #2 - Royal Scam
Original Airdate August 15, 2003

When Spider-Man is duped by The Kingpin into stealing the TX-1 super-chip, he must find a way to get it back before Kingpin gains open access to every single major bank in the world!

Comments?

czyznyck99

Daredevil isn't showing up, and he better not after that version of the Kingpin. Why would he be so dumb as to let Spiderman know his identity right off the bat? There was no evil cleverness in this episode, he didn't even really get to fight Spiderman. One word for this ep, weak.

Later.

Mister Intensity

For once, the character moments worked somewhat, unfortunately the main plot just didn't click.

For all the pretenses of this show being an "adult cartoon" the level of writing and characterization is at the level of a late-70's, early-80's kiddie cartoon. In fact, the characterization of the Kingpin reminds me of how he was characterized in the 60's and 80's shows with the fat jokes, his public criminal actions, and his plot to become the richest man in the world.

Take out all of the "adult" trappings like the guns, the drinking, and the implied "deaths" and you have something on the level of a Saturday Morning Action cartoon, right down to the pseudo campy humor.

Mister Intensity

CryptiniteDemon

Why did you do that?
What a stupid episode. Kingpin already out in the open? He always did everything in secret.

The thing with Peter missing everything of MJ's is getting old. The show just isn't going anywhere.

The only positive thing about the ep I liked were the fat jokes.

Anarky

Team Conan
well, the whole peter-mj thing is mistimed because the M is airing these way out of production order. it's all jumbled. so one week they're doing there on and off thing, then the next he's all about Indira.

the show will flow better once we get the dvd in january.

as for the Kingpin being out and open, I don't have much of a problem w/ it. He was exposed in the Daredevil film, hence his shroud of mystery was lifted. Spidey, the police, and just about anyone in NYC knows Fisk is the Kingpin. Besides, this super-chip was way too important for him to leave in the hands of mere henchmen. He had to supervise it's theft, delivery, and installation.

now, does SONY have the luxury of the entire Marvel library at their disposal, such as Daredevil, Punisher, the FF, the X-Men, SHIELD, the Avengers, etc...or will the focus be entirely on the Spidey Universe.

Beat

Retired
Kingpin's a fatty jokes. How original. Mary Jane can't reveal her feelings for Peter. Wasn't he going out with that reporter chick? And Harry's back to his Spidey-hating ways. Considering that he's next in line for Goblinhood, it seems all too predictable.

I actually remember Spidey making one of those Kingpin's fat jokes in the 96 toon, and white Kingpin showing that his body is really all muscle, not lard! Of course, white Kingpin was very secretive, and had a multitude of goals.

SNS

Anarky said:
now, does SONY have the luxury of the entire Marvel library at their disposal, such as Daredevil, Punisher, the FF, the X-Men, SHIELD, the Avengers, etc...or will the focus be entirely on the Spidey Universe.

That's a good question. I hope they do have those at their disposal since one of the things I liked about the 90's series was the crossovers.

All-Star 1.5

Beatdigga said:
Kingpin's a fatty jokes. How original. Mary Jane can't reveal her feelings for Peter. Wasn't he going out with that reporter chick? And Harry's back to his Spidey-hating ways. Considering that he's next in line for Goblinhood, it seems all too predictable.

I actually remember Spidey making one of those Kingpin's fat jokes in the 96 toon, and white Kingpin showing that his body is really all muscle, not lard! Of course, white Kingpin was very secretive, and had a multitude of goals.

You can blame the randomness to MTV for airing almost every single episode out of production order.

Second the reason this Kingpin wasn't secretive is because he is based of the Marvel movie continunity and I guess he is now exposed to the world are whatever. Besides we didn't see him with his shirt off so really don't know all we really know is that he was able to knock Spidey way far and break out of his web-cuffs or whatever.

czyznyck99

SNS said:
That's a good question. I hope they do have those at their disposal since one of the things I liked about the 90's series was the crossovers.

It's a toss-up. Fox only has the movie rights to X-Men and Daredevil, although they used to have the animated rights as well with the original animated X-Men series. Marvel is actually very flexible in releasing rights for TV, when they have the money, anyway. Technically, they can do crossovers, they just have no reason to right now. X-Men Evolution, for example, is Kids WB licensed, but there is no reason for another X-Men/Spiderman teamup, at least with these versions. The creators of X-Men Evolution, in particular, want to keep it all within the X-Universe, using Captain America and SHIELD is sort of crossing the line for them.

If the Sony contract with Spiderman falls apart like it has been rumored to, though, it may not matter...

Later.

Weibart

Intercept Now!
Reporter
mtv wouldn't air one of it's other shows out of order, that's for sure.
maybe it's a lack of respect taking place here. is it because the show is animated and doesn't star a rich singer or countdown music videos, so who cares what order it's aired in. i think there's x amount of attention concentrated on more high profile series and less on the superhero show.

Spider-Man

Well, this was much better than the episode that YTV showed the week before. It wasn't great, but it was still an improvement. It was great to hear Duncan back in the Kingpin role, a role he really seems to be having fun with. I still really dig the animation, although it's a bit robotic and off-putting at times. And MJ's design -- I really, really dislike it. It just doesn't seem to fit her in the slightest - it just looks wrong. Still, a fun episode that was better than "Heroes and Villains." I plan to tune in again next week.

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
MTV2 re-ran this episode in the early hours of this morning. Check your local listing for future airings.

28.jpg

Episode #2 - Royal Scam
Original Airdate August 15, 2003

When Spider-Man is duped by The Kingpin into stealing the TX-1 super-chip, he must find a way to get it back before Kingpin gains open access to every single major bank in the world!

Comments?

As everyone has said above, this episode wasn't up to much, more than likely because of the Daredevil film.

The MJ/Peter subplot kept the interest going, but other than that, the whole episode was pretty standard, which is pretty dissapointing since The Kingpin was involved.

Credit where it's due, the animation in the final fight scene was spectacular

Spider-Man

YTV will rerun this episode of Spider-Man: The New Animated Series tonight. There was a lot of hype surrounding this episode with the inclusion of Micheal Duncan Clarke returning to the role of the Kingpin once more but does it live up to the hype?

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I actually thought Kingpin was pretty lame here. His role in the episode was essentially useless, which sucks because his idea to use Spider-Man as his pawn was a good one, it was simply poorly executed and left behind cheeseburger jokes.

I really enjoyed the MJ subplot though, I must admit. I was always give or take with this version of MJ, mainly because no one could actually decided whether or not she wanted to be with Peter and the really, really confusing inclusion of Indy.

I loved the helicpoter fight though. Full marks there. I really enjoyed the opening too, with Harry's really ugly, expensive statue. Looking at his laptop, no wonder Peter is always broke, he spends $200 a month on DVDs!

Spider-Man

Stu said:
I really enjoyed the MJ subplot though, I must admit. I was always give or take with this version of MJ, mainly because no one could actually decided whether or not she wanted to be with Peter and the really, really confusing inclusion of Indy. I loved the helicpoter fight though. Full marks there. I really enjoyed the opening too, with Harry's really ugly, expensive statue. Looking at his laptop, no wonder Peter is always broke, he spends $200 a month on DVDs!
I noticed how back and froth the series went with MJ. One moments she's grabbing Peter in the street to kiss him and then the next episode it's completely forgotten. I can see how they'd want to introduce Indy to cause tension but they bungled that pretty badly.

And the helicopter scene is really excellent. This series really ampeed up the fight scenes and they were usuall great even in the worst of episodes. This episode is no exception.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.
It's interesting how Disney Junior is rebranding, first with the logo, and now educational curriculum being developed under Disney Junior Education And Inclusion rather than the Disney Junior Educational Resource Group.

Featured Posts