Hub "Network" to air Pound Puppies, SheZow!, Wizards VS. Aliens, and Aquabats This June!

Mandouga

I kinda think the reason The Hub picked-up SheZow is BECAUSE of the controversy it may cause

there's no such thing as bad publicity

I personally doubt that this network would do anything just to get people to react, even getting a show like SheZow. Also, contrary to popular belief, there IS such a thing as bad publicity. It's ruined the careers and reputations of many individual artists, groups, and even entertainment companies, but that's not for this thread. The point is, it's very unlikely that they would get this show just to push peoples' buttons.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
The Hub probably picked up SheZow! because no other U.S. network would. Nick and Disney would pass on the prospect of crossdressing in a heartbeat, and CN...is a gray area. (I'm assuming DHX shopped it around before the Hub gave it a go, so if that was the case, CN probably did reject it if they were indeed approached.)

The Hub has also shown that it's experimenting with shows that mix the cultural sensibilities of both genders. After MLP:FiM became such a surprise success with males, they're clearly going this route by putting on shows that would combine something girly and manly, such as that Hello Kitty/KISS show as well as acquiring SheZow!

No love at all for Pound Puppies? Really? Have a heart. :(

Incidentally, I don't care what anyone out there says, Pound Puppies IS a good show. Its got great characters, a great cast, and its also funny with sweet storylines. I will always stand by that.

Typical.

I directly respond to a MLP fan, and ask them a question, and they don't dignify my post with a response. It's happened once before (with another MLP fan) in the Pound Puppies discussion thread. Some bronies can be really snobbish.

I just want to see if Pound Puppies can actually improve from 2nd Season, more than anything.

Seriously?

What a surprise, someone takes yet another stab at Pound Puppies.

As if MLP (or any other show on The Hub) is perfect? It's not.

I hate the fact that the MLP fans rule over this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo Yi

Joustus!
Staff member
Reporter
AnimationfanVR, let's not point fingers at other board members. People are allow to like or dislike whatever they choose, we don't need potential antagonizing over here.

Remember the rules: respect your fellow TZ members.

AnimationfanVR, let's not point fingers at other board members. People are allow to like or dislike whatever they choose, we don't need potential antagonizing over here.

Remember the rules: respect your fellow TZ members.

Its AnimationfanVoR.

My point is that pretty much all of the regulars who frequent this particular forum are MLP fans. This is the My Little Pony forum, the "Hub Animation forum" does not exist. I just don't like how some bronies look down on Pound Puppies.

But, whatever, I am certainly NOT trying to antagonize anyone. Ultimately, I just think it's a shame that MLP gets all the attention here. Yes, it's a good show, but at this point, it is vastly overrated.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Typical.

I directly respond to a MLP fan, and ask them a question, and they don't dignify my post with a response. It's happened once before (with another MLP fan) in the Pound Puppies discussion thread. Some bronies can be really snobbish.

Seriously?

What a surprise, someone takes yet another stab at Pound Puppies.

As if MLP (or any other show on The Hub) is perfect? It's not.

I hate the fact that the MLP fans rule over this forum.

For the record, I meant what I said as a compliment (If only because like any show on this channel, it can improve and continue to truly entertain me from here...); Heck, as for my opinion on Pound Puppies (so far, anyway): while the show is legitimately good, it has problems and questionable areas in it that make it hard for me to legitimately revisit it with a straight face, sadly. Despite its flaws, however, it's still one of the better shows for kids out there - I will not, NOT ever deny that to anyone, whether they share my sentiments or not.

Also, I'm NO Brony in any way, shape, or form - nor do I ever want to be associated with that fanbase, honestly - I, too, find FiM to be highly overrated and somewhat hogging the otherwise large-in-size spotlight of just as good, if not better shows, IMHO (Dan vs., Littlest Pet Shop (2012), Transformers:prime... and yes, even Pound Puppies, all come to mind.)...

Other than that, I'm really saddened that an otherwise reasonable person(s) would call me out like this (AKA the "TL,DR" version of what I'm trying to say.)... Especially when I can agree with you on other shows that could use more love and support, too.

Sparkster24

In other news! Guess who's back on The Hub...? That's right, Fraggle Rock is coming back on The Hub.. even The Twisted Whiskers Show will be back on again. I'm really glad that they're finally getting it kinda right for the mornings (even if it's just a Summer thing) and at least gaining up their morning spots a little. I'm hoping for the future appearances..they manage it more better for more acquired Comedy, Game Shows, etc. :)

Sparkster24

When is this happening? I didn't hear anything about this, and a search turns up nothing.
It will return on Tuesday, June 4th according to TV Guide's listings, but will air two episodes on 8:30am (eastern) / 5:30am (pacific) in the mornings.

soundmonkey44

Melancholic Man.
Glad Fraggle Rock is coming back, now if only they would start showing Wonder Years Reruns again, seriously, thats a perfect Summer Sitcom! *IMO anywho*

Sparkster24

Well, it seems that The Hub might've took Transformers Animated, Animal Mechanicals, and maybe Dan VS. (sadly) off the line-up for awhile. Well, from what i'm gathering so far, but it's a way to find out soon enough.

The Huntsman

Friend of Toon Zone
SheZow was talked about in the LA Times, and because of that, it's now on the radar of several conservative websites. However, everybody keeps getting their facts wrong by saying he transforms into a female superhero. Even neutral sites are describing the show that way. None of them seem to realize that only his costume changes, and that he stays very much male.

macattack

I see you!
Staff member
Reporter
SheZow was talked about in the LA Times, and because of that, it's now on the radar of several conservative websites. However, everybody keeps getting their facts wrong by saying he transforms into a female superhero. Even neutral sites are describing the show that way. None of them seem to realize that only his costume changes, and that he stays very much male.

It would likely help if the character design post-transformation didn't look so feminine. Hell, I thought the same thing at first.

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter

I've seen the premiere and I'm not entirely sure it's true that this is only a costume change. He's mentally male, but I believe the transformation is meant to turn him female. The press materials are actually a little inconsistent about that, but it seems to be more than skin-deep in the show.

Unfortunately, this is the least of the show's problems, but details on that will have to wait for the coming reviews...

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013

Yep, Breitbart.com has led the charge, calling it a "transexual superhero show," snarking about the child appropriateness of the topic, and implying/joking that Hub CEO Margaret Loesch uses drugs and is a "leftist."

Children's Network Launches Transsexual Superhero Show

The bad thing about this is that if it was just Breitbart, no one would care. But now that Breitbart has started it, other sites feel free to report on what Breitbart said, get a quote from GLAAD to counter it, and make a little bit of fake controversy.

Gender-bending action hero cartoon

It's stupid, but it was inevitable.

Ed, does his voice change?

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
Ed, does his voice change?

Nope. It's the same voice actor. He'll skew a little higher when SheZow is in public to help in his cover, but that's it. When he's talking to his big sister or his best friend/sometimes sidekick, he'll just use the same voice as before.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
Eh, it was only a matter of time before SheZow! caught the attention of the PC watchdogs. Like Shawn said, this "controversy" is stupid, but it was inevitable. Thing is, based on what I've seen of the show, one has to wonder if Hub's acquiring of this show is worth the inevitable unwanted attention it's going to draw. SheZow! is basically a one-joke premise: his costume and accessories are as feminine as possible, and it's funny because it's a boy wearing them; minus the cross-dressing angle, it's a fairly run-of-the-mill teen superhero toon. It remains to be seen how things are going to go from here, but were it me in Hub's position, I'd have to wonder if SheZow! is worth the trouble. Surely there are other 3rd party shows that Hasbro could get their hands on which wouldn't put them on the likes of Brietbart.com's radar.

But then, now that I think about it, that could be the network's strategy. The noise being made by the pressure groups will likely earn SheZow! far more media attention that it would ever receive on its' own, since as previously stated, the show itself isn't anything spectacular beyond its' would-be controversy. After all, any publicity is good publicity.

The Huntsman

Friend of Toon Zone
I've seen the premiere and I'm not entirely sure it's true that this is only a costume change. He's mentally male, but I believe the transformation is meant to turn him female. The press materials are actually a little inconsistent about that, but it seems to be more than skin-deep in the show.
The show's creator has confirmed that he's merely cross-dressing. That's pretty much the only reason the show has such a huge fanbase on 4chan. Don't Google the fan art.

Here is a link to a tweet clarifying all of this.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Unfortunately, this is the least of the show's problems, but details on that will have to wait for the coming reviews...

Comment of the week...

I could care less about the cross-dressing concept - a little controversy means nothing in the end run if the show at the end of the day is just simply... mediocre to legitimately bad on its own.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Just learned that GAMESTOP and FRED MEYER are now going to be selling DVDs, Blu-rays, and even 4K UHD Blu-rays. This comes in the wake of Best Buy removing ALL DVDs and Blu-rays, as well as Target and FYE shrinking down their offerings.

Are there any notable child voice actors born in the 2010s? The oldest is turning 14 in 2024. Just curious. Jason Griffith was one of the only 4Kids voice actors born in the 80s (most were born in the 70s or earlier)
I wish a happy 17th birthday to Lily Sanfelippo, voice of Gwen Stacy/Ghost Spider in seasons 1-2 of Spidey And His Amazing Friends and Axl from Firebuds.
I've decided that I will indeed start doing music reviews soon. They will mainly be on the blog linked in my signature, but certain reviews that meet forum standards will be crossposted to the music forum.
Angelo Rules is getting a sixth season, this might be niche post Angelo Rules Ordered for Season Six - TVKIDS

Featured Posts