Guillermo del Toro's "Trollhunters" Talkback Thread (Spoilers)

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
It's here: all 26 episodes up on Netflix:

SYNOPSIS:
From the limitless imagination of acclaimed filmmaker Guillermo del Toro comes a tale of two worlds set to collide in the epic saga DreamWorks Trollhunters. When ordinary teenager Jim Lake Jr. stumbles upon a mystical amulet on his way to school one morning, he inadvertently discovers an extraordinary secret civilization of mighty trolls beneath his small town of Arcadia. Strong-willed and seeking adventure but wholly unprepared for the responsibilities thrust upon him, Jim is forced to take on the exalted mantle of Trollhunter, sworn to protect the good trolls from powerful enemies bent on revenge. The first human ever to hold the honor, Jim abruptly goes from fighting his way through the daily mayhem of high school to joining a war that has raged for centuries, a conflict that now threatens all of mankind and troll-kind alike. Accompanied by his closest human friends and a few key troll allies, the courageous fifteen-year-old must plunge headlong into a fantastical world of astonishing creatures, glorious cities, and fierce enemies desperate to destroy him. Suddenly destined to play a crucial role in an ancient battle of good and evil with stakes that couldn’t be higher, Jim is determined to save the world — right after gym class. DreamWorks Trollhunters is a heroic tale that uncoils with ambitious, complex storytelling and stunning visuals that raise the bar for television animation, creating an event series that will thrill the entire family.

My review here. Short version: the pilot is oddly disappointing, falling into too many superhero cliches for my taste, but later episodes look like they get a lot more interesting.

Curious to see what others think of this series. I know my expectations weren't the only ones that were sky-high for this series.

Wonderwall

Staff member
Yea I'm with ya on having high expectations. Just caught the first two episodes. It was entertaining and while I wasn't blown away, it did enough for me to watch some more and keep me interested. It's a nice looking show and I haven't even watched an episode with the Trollworld explored yet, the end of episode 2 makes it look super cool though.

I don't know if another studio is working on it, but a local studio in Nitrogen( yes the same one that was in the news this summer ) worked on this. Cool stuff, hopefully they aren't killing the people on this like with SP :sweat:

Edit: Looking at the credits, the former Arc in Toronto also works on this. I assume Jam Filled ( as they are now know as ) still is working on it.

Edit II: Also saw an overseas studio as well. It's funny because I shouldn't be surprised to see a number of studios working on it, but I've had the rare hat trick of working on shows where the studio I'm at is doing all the episodes.

Last edited:

zoombie

I am up to episode 13, so far it is an all right show. I like how each episode right to the next, it is like one more episode, didn't expect that, I expected a more episodic monster of the week type of series. Clearly they weren't sure if it would be a 13 episode or 26 episode season format, because episode 13 could have worked as a season finally if Netflix wanted to take break.

Troy Troodon

I kind of groan at some of the clichés this story throws in, apply having the protagonist keep his double life a secret to "Keep the people he cares about safe!" I mean come on, Blue Beetle broke that cliché and that actually offered his loved ones even more protection instead of less; so not only is that cliche but in context, the more you think about it the less sense it actually makes. Oh sure, keeping your powers and identity a secret from your enemies makes sense, but keeping it a secret from your friends and loved ones just makes you look more like an idiot!

Nitpicks aside though the show is actually pretty good for the most part, the animation is great, as is the voice acting and even some of the characterization.

zoombie

I kind of groan at some of the clichés this story throws in, apply having the protagonist keep his double life a secret to "Keep the people he cares about safe!" I mean come on, Blue Beetle broke that cliché and that actually offered his loved ones even more protection instead of less; so not only is that cliche but in context, the more you think about it the less sense it actually makes. Oh sure, keeping your powers and identity a secret from your enemies makes sense, but keeping it a secret from your friends and loved ones just makes you look more like an idiot!

Nitpicks aside though the show is actually pretty good for the most part, the animation is great, as is the voice acting and even some of the characterization.

I know how you feel, I don't know what episode you are on, but give it time, things happen. I am up to episode 20 and as of now.

The love interest knows, she is actually part of the team now, and does some cool stuff. And they are setting up the mother to find out at some point.

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
I think if Netflix just gave me up to episode 3 or 4, I would have given it a more positive review. We're up to episode 8 now and there's little flashes of the show I was expecting, mostly covered up by the moment she where the show plays it safe. But even by episode 3 or 4, the sense of strangeness kicks in when they hit Heartstone Trollmarket.

I am totally digging the relationship between Jim and Draal, though. It starts somewhere expected, then takes that left turn after their second confrontation, and ultimately sends Draal somewhere other than where you expect him to be. I'd have preferred it if Jim used that opportunity to come clean to his mom at least, but it's ok for what it is.

My 7-year-old son is enjoying it, though, and my wife loves the Blinky and AARRRGGHHH!! sideshow.

spyke

I haven't watched the show yet, but I have to respond to this part of your post with 3 quick points.

1. Since almost every superhero these days (in both the comics and in the movies/TV series) are revealing their secret ID's to their family and friends (and in many cases, to the whole darn world), having a hero keep his ID a secret is NOT cliche.

2. The whole purpose of the secret ID (from a creative stand point) is (a) so the readers/viewers (most of whom were kids) could be in on the cool secret of the hero (b) so the writer can add some drama to the heroes lives and (c) so the hero can have a normal life separate from their superhero life. Frankly, I prefer heroes to keep their superhero lives from most of their family and friends.

3. In context it makes perfect sense that a hero keeps their ID secret from their family and friends since the more people said hero tells his secret ID to the greater the chance that their family or friends would tell someone their secret, be it intentionally or accidentally. remember the old saying "loose lips sink ships".

brodie999

I haven't watched the show yet, but I have to respond to this part of your post with 3 quick points.

1. Since almost every superhero these days (in both the comics and in the movies/TV series) are revealing their secret ID's to their family and friends (and in many cases, to the whole darn world), having a hero keep his ID a secret is NOT cliche.

2. The whole purpose of the secret ID (from a creative stand point) is (a) so the readers/viewers (most of whom were kids) could be in on the cool secret of the hero (b) so the writer can add some drama to the heroes lives and (c) so the hero can have a normal life separate from their superhero life. Frankly, I prefer heroes to keep their superhero lives from most of their family and friends.

3. In context it makes perfect sense that a hero keeps their ID secret from their family and friends since the more people said hero tells his secret ID to the greater the chance that their family or friends would tell someone their secret, be it intentionally or accidentally. remember the old saying "loose lips sink ships".
Yeah, I wonder if Trollhunter having 26 episodes will spark a games changer in Netflix to start releasing 26 episodes a season, It seems likely that Marvel and Netflix will start releasing 26 episodes in one season and YJ S3 will likely have 26 episodes on Netflix since they're the most likely choice to release S3,Greg said there won't be any new toys,because Netflix doesn't need toys, Their business model is to draw as many people as they can to pay and sign up to their streaming service and they are doing it by making/airing shows that people could only watch on their service and that we won't expect YJS3 before October 2017.
Greg Weisman on Twitter: "“@A256112: @Greg_Weisman @BrobbeyBrian Let's make a guess! I'll go with 09/23/2017.” Definitely not that soon."

zoombie

Well as a rebuttal to your rebuttal, let me give you 2 examples, Steven Universe and Star vs the Forces of Evil, everything is out in the open in those shows and they do just fine finding coming up with stories and drama. Having seen episode 21, I wish they had the Star rules there, we had a good shipping moment that would have worked in a world in which everything is out in the open.

The argument you need secrets for a good story, well Rebeca Sugar and Daron Nefcy proves that wrong. Heck an episode of Steven Universe "Full Disclosure" even makes fun of it.

Troy Troodon

I know how you feel, I don't know what episode you are on, but give it time, things happen. I am up to episode 20 and as of now.

The first 11 episodes with Clara, then continuing on with Jim's mother, which totally did wonders for mother and son...

zoombie

The first 11 episodes with Clara, then continuing on with Jim's mother, which totally did wonders for mother and son...

Well I am up to episode 24

So I knew where everything is at with that, going to watch the last two episodes tonight when I have more time.

Speaking of Jim and his mother, first impression I got from the first episode, Jim he is the anti Lars.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Didn't really like this series, I'm halfway done and I'm wondering why I'm still watching this. The show is too generic hell it has a Flash like bully character complete with blonde hair

zoombie

I finished and it was all right, they did something actually shocking with a certain character's fate, though I wonder in season 2 will they reverse it.

I am referring to Arrrrgh's death. I can't believe one of the heroes died. And the identity of the mascot character, that is one reason to re watch.

Last edited:

Dudley

Staff member
I actually really enjoyed. Yeah, the show has your standard, "kid leads double life of world saving hero who hides his identity" (and hopefully Jim's mom will find out again), which is an annoying trope, and I do enjoy it when shows avoid it, and when the masquerade is eventually revealed when they do use it.
In fact this show has a lot of cliche elements, but it makes up for its ongoing storyline, nice writing, good animation, and above all else, the ability to binge watch it. That allows us to power through all the cliches which would've been annoying to sit through on a weekly basis.
Can't wait for "Part 2"!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zoombie

The fact that Clare is in on this is a step up. 20 or 30 years a characters like that would never be in on this, would never be allowed to go on adventures, just be there to be an emotionally crutch. She would be like Staomi from Parasyte (I know the anime was recent, but it was based on the manga made 20 years ago in case you don't know)

I wonder if in season 2, Darcy or whatever her name is again will be in on this as well, if she and Tody actually have a relationship.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
It's not all that bad characters are interesting, animation budget is far better than the garbage Dreamwork toons on Nick just annoyingly cliche.

Seriously though we need a show where we have the school bully who isn't popular and they openly reveal he's just a psychopath.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Seriously though we need a show where we have the school bully who isn't popular and they openly reveal he's just a psychopath.

Or at least make him Flash Thompson/Agent Venom

Also am I the only one who is getting sick of socially akward characters in Action shows

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
Why was it a stupid idea in Ultimate Spiderman

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

Because it overlooked years of character development established in the comics and had him be rewarded for his out of nowhere act of sheer stupidity.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts