Disney Predictions for 2014

ToonJay723

Staff member
So what are your predictions for this year for Disney. My predictions last year were all wrong, except for Gravity Falls getting a second season, and Fish Hooks getting canned

Here are my predictions for this year.

Movies
-Muppets Most Wanted and Captain America: The Winter Soldier will perform much better than their predecessors.
-Maleficent will make around of $500 million worldwide, give or take
-Planes: Fire & Rescue performs worse than the first film.
-Guardians of the Galaxy becomes a modest success (August doesn't seem like a good date)
-Big Hero 6 will be a massive hit (if advertized properly like Frozen) and be the second WDAS in years to make $250+ domestically.

Television
-Phineas & Ferb: Star Wars premieres in the summer (June-August)
-Stars and the Forces of Evil previews after the P&F special, and has a premiere in the Fall with great ratings
-Season 2 of Gravity Falls comes back in the Summer (June) with 32 episodes (since that would add to 52 episodes)
-Disney Channel adds a Saturday schedule since they've become over saturated.
-Star Wars Rebels (sadly) will be mistreated like Tron: Uprising and Motorcity

Alonso Torrejon

On June 15th, The Lion King airs on ABC in honor of the film's 20th Anniversary.

Same for The Little Mermaid on November 17th to celebrate its 25th Anniversary.

Dr.Pepper

Staff member
I think Big Hero 6 would be like this generation's Pocahontas. It would still be a hit, but not on the same level as Frozen.

ToonJay723

Staff member
Are you saying that because Marvel Universe got moved to Sunday morning?
It's always been on Sunday mornings, and I said that, because Disney XD tends to mistreat cartoons that aren't based on Marvel comics.

ILDC

It's always been on Sunday mornings, and I said that, because Disney XD tends to mistreat cartoons that aren't based on Marvel comics.
I'd just figured they'd treat a brand like Star Wars more or less equal to Marvel.

ShadowBeast

With the exception of Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes which was also mistreated, other then that I completely agree with what you have stated.

Toonatic

My predictions:

-Muppets Most Wanted becomes a success with critics and box office
-Phineas and Ferb and Fish Hooks go out with a bang (I hear they're ending this year)
-The Mickey Mouse shorts become so successful that Disney greenlits a new show based on it called The Mickey Mouse Show which showcases 3 8 minute shorts (1 with Mickey, 2 with different characters) and will feature Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, Minnie Mouse, Daisy Duck, Chip n Dale, Pluto, Pete, Clarabelle, Horace Horsecollar, and even Roger Rabbit, Bonkers D. Bobcat, and Jitters A. Dog plus more and the show becomes an instant success
-Wander Over Yonder gets renewed
-Star Wars Rebels tries to become a success and overtime it does
-Bonkers is released on DVD
-The Muppet Show Season 4 finally gets released on DVD and even a Special Edition release of Season 1 with all episodes uncut
-Disney releases the Ewok Adventures 2-Movie Collection on DVD and Blu-ray followed by a complete series DVD release of Droids and The Star Wars Holiday Special
-Disney will allow Fox to renew distribution rights for the post Star Wars IV: A New Hope films through 2050 and will continue to renew them
-Muppet Family Christmas is released on 25th Anniversary Edition DVD and presented uncut
-Disney will allow the Sesame Workshop to use Kermit on Sesame Street provided he's Reporter Kermit
-Disney Junior airs Amazing Animals and The Muppet Show (the latter being every week at Midnight-1am)
-Gravity Falls gets a 3rd season renewal
-Disney announces Star Wars VII will be distributed by Touchstone and Fox decides to join in on production
-Disney Junior airs the Muppet movies, The Great Mouse Detective, as well as different movies from various studios (Cats Don't Dance, Snoopy Come Home, the Wallace and Gromit shorts, etc.)
-ABCFamily airs Who Framed Roger Rabbit
-Disney airs Season 3 of Shaun The Sheep as well as getting TV rights for Season 4
-Classic Disney shorts air on Disney Junior as occasional filler
-Disney announces Blu-ray collection of classic shorts as well as DVD releases of the new 2013 Mickey and Mickey Mouse Works/House Of Mouse shorts
-Widescreen TV shows will begin airing in widescreen on the SD feed
-Disney XD or Disney Junior will air Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog
-Gary K. Wolf's The Stooge remake with Mickey and Roger gets greenlit and made at DisneyToon Studios
-Disney buys Roger Rabbit in full from Amblin and shares the rights with Gary K. Wolf and plans to bring Roger back begin with Gary K. Wolf at the helm
-Disney sub-licenses Song of The South to Criterion
-Mickey, Donald, and Goofy in The Three Musketeers gets a 10th Anniversary Blu-ray release
-Disney tries again with the Vault Collection MOD program

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Toonatic said:
-Disney releases the Ewok Adventures 2-Movie Collection on DVD and Blu-ray followed by a complete series DVD release of Droids and The Star Wars Holiday Special

The latter is never going to happen. George Lucas hates that special with a fiery passion.

Disney XD or Disney Junior will air Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog

Why would they do that? Because Cartoon Network will be airing Sonic Boom? CN didn't air the old Hanna-Barbera Pac Man cartoon when Disney XD started airing Pac Man and the Ghostly Adventures.

Disney will allow the Sesame Workshop to use Kermit on Sesame Street provided he's Reporter Kermit

Again, I must ask, why would they do that?

Gary K. Wolf's The Stooge remake with Mickey and Roger gets greenlit and made at DisneyToon Studios

That seems unlikely. Roger Rabbit isn't relevant anymore. That project has been on the shelf for years. Why would Disney make it now?

Last edited by a moderator:

ILDC

I just came up with a few predictions of my own. Hopefully they're all reasonable enough. In no particular order:

-Disney and the Jim Henson Co. begin seriously talking about another merger attempt after the release of Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
-WDAS and Amblin announce a new Roger Rabbit short directed by Rich Moore
-There will be another movie tie-in Muppet covers album
-Maleficent will do about as good as Oz
-Disney Junior announces a Muppet Babies reboot with talent similar to The 7D
-Lauren Faust works on at least one Star and the Forces of Evil episode
-Disney TVA celebrates 30 years

My predictions:
1) Muppets Most Wanted and Planes 2 makes more than $100 million, both domestic and foreign
2) Disney announces the names of the next MCU films for phase 3 (two for 2016, one for 2017)
3) Disney buys back the two Sony-owned Muppets films (The Muppets Take Manhattan and Muppets from Space, both turn 30 and 15 years old this year) so they could get proper DVD/Blu-ray releases
4) The release dates for the Phineas and Ferb film, Wreck-it Ralph 2, Planes 3, Mickey Mouse, Pirates 5 and 6, The Incredibles 2, and Cars 3 are announced
5) Big Hero 6 repeats the success that Tangled, Wreck-it Ralph and Frozen had (critically and commercially)
6) The return of the Wonderful World of Disney on ABC (Saturday or Sunday Nights)

Last edited by a moderator:

ILDC

Disney buys back the two Sony-owned Muppets films (The Muppets Take Manhattan and Muppets from Space, both turn 30 and 15 years old this year) so they could get proper DVD/Blu-ray releases
What do you mean, "proper"?

Silverstar

Strong to th' Finnich
ILDC said:
-Disney Junior announces a Muppet Babies reboot with talent similar to The 7D

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Henson company produce something for Disney Junior at some point, but I'm not sure how likely a Muppet Babies revival would be. The whole babyfication trend petered out in the early 90's. if such a thing did happen, however, I could guarantee 2 things:

1. This time around, the show would refrain from the usage of archived footage from TV shows and movies. That move has ensured that not only will the original Muppet Babies likely not get a proper DVD release anytime soon, but it's likely the show will never see the light of day again.

2. A Muppet Babies revival would probably be rendered in CGI, and as such purists would hate it. Never mind that the only reason the original series was animated in the first place was because the puppet characters were so small that it was a challenge for the puppeteers to operate them (they had to literally stand underneath the floorboards to work the characters in the original Muppets Take Mahnattan sequence), so it would've been impossible to do that as a weekly series since it would've been too time consuming to do in live-action.

ILDC

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Henson company produce something for Disney Junior at some point, but I'm not sure how likely a Muppet Babies revival would be. The whole babyfication trend petered out in the early 90's. if such a thing did happen, however, I could guarantee 2 things:

1. This time around, the show would refrain from the usage of archived footage from TV shows and movies. That move has ensured that not only will the original Muppet Babies likely not get a proper DVD release anytime soon, but it's likely the show will never see the light of day again.

2. A Muppet Babies revival would probably be rendered in CGI, and as such purists would hate it. Never mind that the only reason the original series was animated in the first place was because the puppet characters were so small that it was a challenge for the puppeteers to operate them (they had to literally stand underneath the floorboards to work the characters in the original Muppets Take Mahnattan sequence), so it would've been impossible to do that as a weekly series since it would've been too time consuming to do in live-action.
Medium blending would be another neat way to represent imagination, better than using just Disney-owned clips.

SF4Ever

My predictions for Disney in 2014:

- Disney solves its struggles with airing TV animation blocks, especially on both Disney Channel and Disney XD by giving them over to ABC Family to air on Saturday mornings, running from 6:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- The old ABC Weekend Specials is resurrected as the hour-long ABC Family Weekend Specials, hosted by Kermit the Frog, and it airs Saturdays at noon.
- Disney Channel and Disney XD will play reruns of portions of ABC Family's Saturday morning cartoon block, during the week, in addition to other original animated programming.
- Disney will develop more original TV animation ideas, but based on work-for-hire, rather than established properties and it would even include superheroes, similar to those developed by other animation studios.

I'll have some more ideas, later.

Dynamite Soldier

Here's some of my predictions I'm hoping for:

-Disney Channel will have a schedule with more diversity
-Wander Over Yonder's ratings increase and gets renewed for a second season
-Muppets Most Wanted and Big Hero 6 will become successful
-Disney Junior (the channel) becomes a basic cable network (like DC) to increase more viewers
-Fish Hooks will end in the summer
-Girl Meets World will become a massive hit (like Good Luck Charlie and That's So Raven) and has a bright future
-We get more info on Cars 3
-Gravity Falls' second season will debut in the summer and gets a third season shortly after
-Phineas & Ferb will get confirmed to be on its fourth and final season and will end in 2015
-Disney announces an American version of Disney Cinemagic (or a channel similar to that) to launch later this year or in 2015, to compete with HBO, Shotime and Cinemax (unlikely, but still)
-Disney green lights more Mickey Mouse shorts and/or a Mickey Mouse reboot TV series
-Disney Channel gets a rebrand
-Star and the Forces of Evil will become DC's greatest hits and gains fandoms (like MLP: FiM)
-Star Wars: Rebels might be a moderate hit and will broadcast not only on Disney XD, but on Disney Channel as well
-Mighty Med gets renewed for a second season (TBH, this show isn't half bad)
-DC will release more of its older and current shows to DVD/Blu-ray
-Disney considering a another new network based on Marvel
-Disney theatrical shorts will broadcast after midnight on either ABC Family, Disney Channel or Disney Junior. Disney XD seems unlikely.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy Father's Day!
I swear to God, no one really hates Cartoon Cartoons/CN Studios library more than Warner Bros. Discovery do.
Ultraman Rising is the #6 movie on Netflix Worldwide.
Inside Out 2 is gonna be doing huge box office numbers.

Featured Posts