Definitive voices

Mistah K88

When it comes to DC, it is normally argued that the voices from the DCAU are the voices people hear in their heads when reading comic books or even thinking about the character. To be more specific, to a lot of people, Mark Hamill IS the Joker, Kevin Conroy IS Batman, Michael Ironside IS Darkseid, etc. With the various animated series that have showcased Marvel characters, what would you say have been the definitive voices for the characters of the Marvel universe? What voices do you imagine when reading or even thinking about the character? Is Cal Dodd (90's) the voice of choice for Wolverine for you? Steven Blum (WaTXM)? Scott McNeil (Evolution)? How about Neil Ross (Pride of the X-Men)?

What voices do you feel are definitive for characters of the Marvel Universe? If you don't know who the voice actors are, you could just name the series that the version of the character has come from...

jph139

Immortal
Scott McNeil is definitely Wolverine for me... but that might just be because the last X-Men series I watched was Evolution. It's faded a bit since then.

I've really internalized Eric Loomis as Iron Man, too. I know a lot of people sort of think of him as an imitation Robert Downey Jr. but when I read a comic or picture Tony Stark saying something, that's the voice that comes out.

And of course, Fred Tatasciore IS the Hulk.

Kumori MC

I've already answered this somewhere earlier, but okay, I'll give it one more shot.

Spider-man - Christopher Daniel Barnes. Always.

Wolverine - all three [Dodd, McNeil and Blum]

Cyclops - Nolan North

Hulk - Fred Tatasciore

Deadpool - Nolan North [or me :p]

Kingpin - Roscoe Lee Browne

J Jonah Jameson - Ed Asner

Ms Marvel - Jennifer Hale

Jean Grey - Catherine Disher

Mary Jane - I think it was Vanessa Marshall

Human Torch - Quinton Flynn

Professor X - Cedric Smith

Beast - George Buza

Venom - Hank Azaria

Iron Man - either Robert Hayes or Eric Loomis

Thor - John Rhys-Davis

Doc Ock - Efrem Zimbalist Jr.

Black Cat - Jennifer Hale [I miss her]

Magneto - David Hemblen

Etc...

More to come soon.

Mistah K88

I guess I never answered my own question...I guess I'll give two for now.

Tom Kane (Wolverine and the X-Men) to me is Magneto. He has a certain sophistication in his voice that does seem both charming and menacing, yet the there is a certain bit of humanity to his voice. It gives the impression that you could actually agree with this complex character.

Kingpin -Roscoe Lee Browne (Spider-Man the Animated Series)...let's be real...he's the bleepin' Kingpin.

Spider-Man, Josh Keaton
Kingpin, Roscoe Lee Brown again.
Wolverine, Steve Blum
J.J.J, J.K Simmons
Cyclops, Norm Spencer
Norman Osborn, Alan Rachins
Reed Richards, Cam Clarke but Dee Baker might replace him haha
Green Goblin, Steve Blum and Cal Dodd is right there with him
Hobgoblin, Mark Hamill

done typing for now haha man I'd love a straight to DVD movie that reunited the old marvel animated universe that'd be so sick

MarvelManiac

My definitive voices.

Brian Bloom IS Captain America – Whenever I read a comic with Cap in it, Bloom’s the first voice to come to mind. To me, others don’t sound right. And after hearing Bloom's take, Trev Broudy sounds like he’s doing a parody of Cap. At least to me.

Chris Cox IS Hawkeye – Everybody else besides him sucks (except whoever voiced him in IM:AA. He was good too, but not the best).

Steve Blum IS Wolverine – He's the best there is at what he does, and what he does is make Wolverine sound like a bad-ass.

Edward Albert IS Daredevil – Beside the episode being THE BEST CROSSOVER EVER his voice was perfect and sounded exactly how I expected him to be, especially his dialogue to the Kingpin. "Now I've got you!" R.I.P.

Hiro Kanagawa and Dee Bradley Baker IS Mr. Fantastic – I can’t choose between the two of them.

Fred Tatasciore IS The Hulk – Just listen to him in Hulk Vs. and in The Avengers: EMH. You’ll see why he’s the best.

Vanessa Marshall IS Black Widow – With or without the Russian accent, she’s the best.

Clancy Brown IS Odin

Steve Blum IS Red Skull

Lance Henriksen IS Grim Reaper

Kari Wahlgren IS The Enchantress

Rick D. Wasserman IS Absorbing Man

Lex Lang IS Doctor Doom

Jeffrey Combs IS The Leader

Graham McTavish IS Loki

Tom Kane IS Magneto

Scott McNeil is definitely Wolverine for me... but that might just be because the last X-Men series I watched was Evolution. It's faded a bit since then.

I've really internalized Eric Loomis as Iron Man, too. I know a lot of people sort of think of him as an imitation Robert Downey Jr. but when I read a comic or picture Tony Stark saying something, that's the voice that comes out.

And of course, Fred Tatasciore IS the Hulk.

Funnily enough, that's his normal speaking voice. If he really tried though, I assume he could be a voice-double for RDJ.

Ryusuke

SomethingWithTheR
As far as definitive voices go...

Wolverine/Logan :: Cal Dodd
When a guy manages to come up with two different takes that fit the character so darn well....you know he's the guy. He gave that Clint Eastwood-ish tone in the X-Men Animated Series, and in a game, he took a more darker turn to the voice that would be appropriate for the comics. So yeah...he's awesome. I like Scott McNeil and Steve Blum though.

Spider-Man/Peter Parker :: Josh Keaton
I've always enjoyed his Spidey. Keaton's Spidey is funny, sympathetic, intelligent and can sound pretty dangerous at times. His performance is very natural and he never goes too over-the-top. So yeah, he'll always be Spidey to me.

Nightcrawler :: Liam O'Brien
He is Nightcrawler. 'nuff said.

Magneto :: David Hemblen
A lot of voices this character gets make him more villainous than he really is. Hemblen gives him a voice that you would understand why people fear up and why mutants everywhere look up to him.

Dr. Doom :: Lex Lang
Boy...this guy has RANGE. Seriously, I remember the days where he used his normal voice for everything, and now he pulls voices like this out of nowhere. That said, the moment he said that line to Wasp, I immediately thought in my head, "Yeah...THAT'S Doom. Right there." He has the perfect amount of menace and arrogance that Doom needs.

There's definitely more, but those just come to mind.

RoryWilliams

Chris Cox, Wally Wingert and Vanessa Marshall for Hawkeye, Hank Pym and Black Widow for sure. And while she was only in two episodes, I've already started hearing Tara Strong as Thundra.

Definitely Jennifer Hale for Jean Grey and James Matthis for Black Panther too. But I was always kind of meh on the EMH and WATXM casts.

Choppasmith

I'm definitely nostalgic for a lot of the old 90s voices but generally prefer the voices from the newer shows (namely WATX an Avengers EMH). I think the only show where I really prefer the 90s cast over the modern cast is F4. Even if the 90s show is a little cheesy, I especially prefer Simon Templeman (sp?) as Doom. I LOVED that sort of arrogant intelligence that really made him the Moriarty to Richards' Holmes. It was great to hear Lex Lang's Doom emit the same vibe as opposed to Dobson's.

A couple voices I want to point out that no one else has

Richard Greico as Ghost Rider: Granted there really hasn't been anyone else to voice Ghost Rider, but I'll always associate him with the character.

Maria Canals Barrera as She Hulk. Yeah, currently only voiced She Hulk for MvC3. But she NAILS it so well. If she doesn't have a role in Avengers or Agents of SMASH, I think I'll cry.

satam55

I usually don't read comics but pretty much every voice on the 90's Spider-Man series I use in my head whenever I read Spider-Man Trade paper back books/graphic novels from 60's-90's.

Mistah K88

I especially prefer Simon Templeman (sp?) as Doom. I LOVED that sort of arrogant intelligence that really made him the Moriarty to Richards' Holmes. It was great to hear Lex Lang's Doom emit the same vibe as opposed to Dobson's

I can only hear Simon Templeman as Doom as well. Lex Lang was goood, however I'll have to hear a little more of him first to really establish an opinion.

For the Green Goblin it'd have to be Steve Blum. He sounds well...like the mythological creature Norman dresses as. He has a raspy sinister voice, yet can have it more whimsical and fun, yet maniacal. That crazed manic laugh does wonders for the character as well.

It'd actually be a tie for Spider-Man. Josh Keaton and Chris Barnes are natural for that character. Chris may have gotten some bad material to work with, and was forced to over act at times (MARY JAAAANE!); but as far as when he actually talks, he is pretty solid. He does sound a bit more mature when compared to Josh (However that may be because Keaton's Spidey was in his Junior year in High School where Barnes' Spidey was in college...even though I don't recall him ever going to school) I'm pretty sure I don't have to explain Josh as he's a perfect fit for the character as well (and had better material)...It's actually a challenge to choose between them.

Nolan North nails Deadpool TO A TEE. I honestly can't hear any other voice for him.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Josh Keaton as Peter Parker/Spider-Man. He is just perfect in the role. He can show versitility between a younger and older Spidey, and shows differences between his Peter and Spidey. He captures the character's angst and wit well in a subtle, but remarkable, manner.

Steven Blum as Wolverine. I was introduced to his performance since the X-Men: Legends games, and has been a perfect fit ever since, even though I'll admit I never cared for the character much.

Eric Loomis as Tony Stark/Iron Man. Yeah, I never played the movie tie-in games where he first debuted, but I warmed up to his voice after watching enough episodes of Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Brian Bloom as Steve Rogers/Captain America. Unlike Loomis, Bloom impressed me from the get-go as Steve. Captures the character's air of leadership and courageousness.

Steve Blum as the Green Goblin. This pretty much showed me how talented Blum is. Very distinct from his other voices, while being recongizable at the same time. He gave his Goblin plenty of insanity and viciousness, while being snarky and funny at times as well. Also liked how his Goblin had a pitch that could fit either Norman or Harry's voices, adding to the mystery bit.

Alan Rachins as Norman Osborn. Pretty hard to believe that the same voice actor who voiced Clock King would do Osborn, but Rachins pulled off the greedy, sociopathic businessman pretty well.

Tom Kane as Ultron. Though I kinda wanted to have Wally Wingert as the evil Ultron as well, to add more eeriness to him, I ended up really liking Kane. Ultron was, by far, my favorite villain in season one of EMH, and I anticipate his inevitable return in the second season.

I have A LOT more coming, including more X-Men, Avengers, Fantastic Four, and Spidey characters!

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Christopher Daniel Barnes - he'll always be Spider-Man to me. His recent return to the character in the video games has been awesome. He (and Keaton) were perhaps the sole highlight of Edge of Time. Not to say I don't like Josh Keaton and NPH though - I've just always preferred CDB. Not too fond from what little I've seen of Drake Bell though.

Cal Dodd - will forever be Wolverine. Noble attempts from Steve Blum aside, this has always been my favourite version of Wolverine - not just the voice, the character itself. While it would've been cool to have the tan costume used, it's still the best version. I know he rarely cut anything, but the character was just fascinating. There was none of this James Howlett/Origin nonsense here - his origin is more interesting the less we know - the character is what he does with himself after being put through this ordeal. Or, in the show's own words

"Wolverine. Loner. You have a family. While savage, you have found dignity. Cynic – you have found faith"

Bob Holt for Hulk for me. Listen to that roar - probably nostalgia talking, but I've always had a fondness for this show and it's character. Michael Bell is still my favourite Bruce Banner, but beyond Neal McDough I've not been too fond of most of the Dr. Banner's we've had.

Have to agree with Roscoe Lee Brown as The Kingpin - I doubt that one will ever be topped. Steve Blum is outstanding as The Green Goblin too.

I'm struggling to pick a favourite for Cyclops - Micheal Bell, Norm Spencer, Kirby Morrow and Nolan North were all excellent in the roll, for different reasons.

Robert Hayes is still my favourite Iron Man - the other voices are good, especially with his recent shift in characterisation, but Hayes' lone wolf is still my favourite animated golden avenger.

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Kumori MC said:
Well, if it isn't ole Stu. :D

Well, we agree on multiple points there, sirrah.

You must be old school like me :)

I've nothing against most of the more recent voices for these characters, I just prefer their 90's incarnations.

Kumori MC

You must be old school like me :)

I've nothing against most of the more recent voices for these characters, I just prefer their 90's incarnations.

Well, considering I grew up with most of these, I'd say that's no surprise.

However, I have nothing against new school. Quite the contrary, a good deal of voice actors have shown their growth and skill acquisition with each new series they voice-starred in.

Miyamoto Musashi

Law Enforcer
  • Spider-man - Rino Romano or NPH (if his voice was the same as the 80s, I'd say Dan Gilvezan, but SD says he's no longer fitting)
  • Wolverine - Steven Blum
  • Cyclops - That guy from Evolution
  • Hulk - Fred Tatasciore
  • Deadpool - Nolan North
  • Kingpin - Stan Jones
  • J Jonah Jameson - Ed Asner
  • Jean Grey - Her voice from Evolution
  • Mary Jane - Vanessa Marshall
  • Human Torch - Josh Keaton
  • Professor X - That guy from Evolution
  • Beast - The guy from Evolution
  • Eddie Brock - Hank Azaria
  • Venom - Daran Norris
  • Iron Man - Eric Loomis
  • Thor - Rick D. Wasserman
  • Doc Ock - Efrem Zimbalist Jr.
  • Black Cat - Tricia Helfer
  • Silver Sable - Jennifer Hale (yeah, USM and SD says this much for me)
  • Magneto - That guy from Evo
  • Punisher - I want to hear him voiced by the guy who voiced Wolverine in Evolution, I think he'll be a perfect fit

JTMarsh

Wing Commander
Off the top of my head -

Captain America/Steve Rogers - Brian Bloom. The guy's voice defines old fashioned heroism at its best.

Cyclops/Scott Summers - Norm Spencer. He had the best "fearless leader" voice (though Michael Bell wasn't bad in the "Pryde of the X-Men" pilot).

Wolverine/Logan - meh, no real preference.

Jean Grey - Venus Terzo for being warm, strong and even a little snarky all at the same time (despite the inherent awesomeness that is Jennifer Hale I'm afraid Ms. Hale just didn't have enough dialogue or screen time to really make the role her own, plus I have to knock a few points off for her unintentionally funny delivery of "Scott! What are you doing?! It'll kill you!" at the end of 'Foresight, Part 3').

Iron Man/Tony Stark - Marc Worden (Ultimate Avengers 1 & 2; Invincible Iron Man, Planet Hulk). While I still enjoy the vocal portrayals of Robert Hays (90s series) and Eric Loomis (Avengers: EMH) Worden for me is the voice that best captures old Shellhead's arrogant-yet-charming personality.

Thor - John Rhys-Davies. Of all the guys who've voiced Thor over the years John Rhys-Davies still has/had the most godlike voice of them all.

Hulk - meh, they all sound pretty much the same after a while.

Black Cat/Felicia Hardy - Jennifer Hale, so full of zest you can't help but love her.

Rogue - Lenore Zann, probably the most fun I'll ever have watching (and listening) to Rogue in any X-adaptation.

Mr. Sinister - Chris Britton, for that inhumanly creepy tone of his (though Clancy Brown did a good job).

Spider-Man/Peter Parker - probably Josh Keaton, for the most natural combination of humor and underdog lovability.

J. Jonah Jameson - Edward Asner (who ironically later played Uncle Ben on TSSM), still the most lovably grumpy of the many JJJs.

Mr. Fantastic/Reed Richards - Beau Weaver. Good combination of fearless leader and absent minded professor.

Invisible Woman/Sue Storm-Richards - Lori Alan. Despite some clunky writing she brought a steadying warmth to the part.

Kitty Pryde - meh, no real preference

Barbossa

For X men the whole cast of Wolverine and the x men.For Avengers characters the whole cast of EMH and for Spiderman the whole cast of Spectacular Spiderman

TheMadSlasher

Wolverine: In my head, I hear a mix between the video game version (Blum) and the early 90's TAS version (Dodd). Dodd's voice works better for Logan being angsty, IMO.

Captain America: The voice used in MUA2, I believe the voice actor was David Kaye.

Gambit: The voice used in the first seasons of XTAS

Storm: XTAS voice

Emma Frost: WATXM voice

Cyclops: XTAS, although possibly blended with the Evolution voice actor. Possibly the first voice for 'on the job' and the latter voice when off the job.

Beast: I see good points and bad points in both the XTAS and WATXM portrayals, although I'd prefer closer to the XTAS version.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm guessing since Charlie Adler is more of a voice director now, he's rarely done voice acting in shows where he's not the voice director. Like, shows like The Rocketeer and Spiderman 2017 are among the few recent projects where he's done voice acting without also being the voice director.
I am so happy about the Toonami Rewind block. I am so glad it finally happened.
Well, this is how the animated "Married with Children" looks like.
It's interesting how Disney Junior is rebranding, first with the logo, and now educational curriculum being developed under Disney Junior Education And Inclusion rather than the Disney Junior Educational Resource Group.

Featured Posts