Boomerang (US) News & Discussion II: Rebrand

Moe

Boomerang was super useful in 2001 and digital subchannels didn't exist at that time, so local stations have to air analog and digital channels at same time until 2009.

Per the quoted article:

And here's the reaction/talkback to the article:

Funny, I was 16 years old and entered 11th grade at high school on August 10, 2004.

Flashback: I was disappointed that I had to take Geometry and Algebra 1 for whole year. :mad:

but good thing, I passed both and didn't miss at all lol.

wiley207

Boomerang was super useful in 2001 and digital subchannels didn't exist at that time, so local stations have to air analog and digital channels at same time until 2009.

Funny, I was 16 years old and entered 11th grade at high school on August 10, 2004.

Flashback: I was disappointed that I had to take Geometry and Algebra 1 for whole year. :mad:

but good thing, I passed both and didn't miss at all lol.
I also entered 11th grade in high school in fall 2004. Things were already rough and stressful for me (like a real-life "What's New, Scooby-Doo?"), but the Looney Tunes being practically banished to Boomerang, a channel we and numerous other didn't have, didn't help at all. And with Cartoon Network largely playing nothing but action cartoons all Saturdays, my parents decided to give more "weekly" chores to do that day instead of unwinding...

Moe

I also entered 11th grade in high school in fall 2004. Things were already rough and stressful for me (like a real-life "What's New, Scooby-Doo?"), but the Looney Tunes being practically banished to Boomerang, a channel we and numerous other didn't have, didn't help at all. And with Cartoon Network largely playing nothing but action cartoons all Saturdays, my parents decided to give more "weekly" chores to do that day instead of unwinding...
Yeah after Looney Tunes: Back in Action flopped and it means no more theatrical films based on LT until almost 20 years later.

In 2004, I only watched on CN was action/anime shows on weekdays and I was too obsessed with MTV at that time.

If you are deaf student at residential deaf school, you have laundry list of chores from Monday to Friday in the morning, otherwise, you have to stay in room all day if not doing chores, so I'm thankful that I got out when I was in senior.

Moe

At least, Boomerang schedule is much better than MTV and many other cable channels.

Ugh at Ridiculousness and Catfish nearly take all of MTV schedule, also Nickelodeon do with SpongeBob and The Loud House.

ToonDude03

“Heavens to Murgatroyd!”
Boomerang gets a special lineup for MultiVersus on May 28th

6am-8pm- Normal lineup
8:00p - Looney Tunes
9:00p - Duck Dodgers
10:00p - Taz-Mania
11:00p - Scooby and Guess Who
12:00a - Scooby & Batman: The Brave and the Bold
1:30a - Teen Titans Go
3:00a - Adventure Time
4:00a - Steven Universe
5:00a - Looney Tunes

Kooplecrap Me

Cartoonist, Researcher, Inactive YouTuber
Boomerang gets a special lineup for MultiVersus on May 28th

6am-8pm- Normal lineup
8:00p - Looney Tunes
9:00p - Duck Dodgers
10:00p - Taz-Mania
11:00p - Scooby and Guess Who
12:00a - Scooby & Batman: The Brave and the Bold
1:30a - Teen Titans Go
3:00a - Adventure Time
4:00a - Steven Universe
5:00a - Looney Tunes
This is Dave's final scheduling stunt

Zoinks!

Boomerang is truly stuck on autopilot hell again. 6/10 is the same exact lineup

Maybe, but today's selection of Looney Tunes was surprisingly diverse and obscure: Holiday Highlights, a black and white short starring Beans the Cat, a Yosemite Sam one...a welcomed change from the usual Bugs/Daffy/Sylvester heavy lineups. Hope they do more of this in the future.

EDIT:
Also programming The New Scooby Doo Movies one featuring Sonny and Cher on Cher's birthday was a nice little touch. I love things like this.

Last edited:

Mejo

I am The Hunter! *blows horn*
Maybe, but today's selection of Looney Tunes was surprisingly diverse and obscure: Holiday Highlights, a black and white short starring Beans the Cat, a Yosemite Sam one...a welcomed change from the usual Bugs/Daffy/Sylvester heavy lineups. Hope they do more of this in the future.
I don’t know, Zoinks. They’ve already been showing those cartoons (Holiday Highlights, Hollywood Capers and Honey's Money) for a while now (Honey’s Money in particular has been in rotation for a LONG time here). They’re leftovers of Dave Byer’s run on the network. Conversely, some of the prints of those cartoons still are the 90s masters even though new restorations have been made (Popeye Presents Eugene the Jeep is the REDRAWN VERSION). Who knows why they didn’t update them, I don’t.

Zoinks!

I don’t know, Zoinks. They’ve already been showing those cartoons (Holiday Highlights, Hollywood Capers and Honey's Money) for a while now (Honey’s Money in particular has been in rotation for a LONG time here). They’re leftovers of Dave Byer’s run on the network.
Well what do ya know, and I thought I caught a really unique selection hahaha. It seems that everytime I catch Looney Tunes on Boomerang it's always the same major characters (minus Pepe and Speedy Gonzales, for obvious reasons). They rarely if ever play one time characters or episodes. Anybody know why? No offense to Bugs, Sylvester or Road Runner but by now I'd rather see something like I Love to Singa than another rerun of What's Opera, Doc (Having said that I did see I Haven't Got a Hat today, but I'm sure you'd tell me that that too has been part of the rotation for a long time).

Same can be said for MGM and Flesicher shorts, They are already showing a ton of Tom and Jerry and Popeye so why can't we get some Droopy, Betty Boop or Tex Avery shorts? Is there some licensing thing I am not aware of, or just lazy and unadventurous scheduling.

Last edited:

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
I thought I caught a really unique selection hahaha. It seems that everytime I catch Looney Tunes on Boomerang it's always the same major characters (minus Pepe, for obvious reasons).
Well, about that, I do remember seeing one Pepe short on Boomerang recently.
Same can be said for MGM and Flesicher shorts, They are already showing a ton of Tom and Jerry and Popeye so why can't we get some Droopy, Betty Boop or Tex Avery shorts? Is there some licensing thing I am not aware of, or just lazy and unadventurous scheduling.
Probably both.

Zoinks!

Well, about that, I do remember seeing one Pepe short on Boomerang recently.

I have been following Looney Tunes on Boomerang (or at the very least checking the schedule) for quite some time now and the only time I see Pepe is during the ads (specifically the "all your favorite Looney Tunes are here" part) but never in an actual short. I just edited my previous post to include Speedy Gonzales as well because I really cannot remember the last time I saw him. I am sure you guys are more informed about this matter though.

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
I have been following Looney Tunes on Boomerang (or at the very least checking the schedule) for quite some time now and the only time I see Pepe is during the ads (specifically the "all your favorite Looney Tunes are here" part) but never in an actual short. I just edited my previous post to include Speedy Gonzales as well because I really cannot remember the last time I saw him. I am sure you guys are more informed about this matter though.
I see. And to be fair, I haven't seen any Speedy Gonzales shorts aired on Boomerang AFAIK. I remember being on MeTV, but not Boomerang.

Low Spark of Lyman

What a night! I had to do six encores at the club.
WB has the rights to the MGM and Popeye theatrical cartoons (in addition to their own, of course), but not those with Betty Boop (aside from the one where Popeye debuted).

Mejo

I am The Hunter! *blows horn*
They HAVE been showing 2 Pepe short’s (3 if you count his cameo in Dog Pounded) for a long while: Heaven Scent and Touché and Go (they also used to show Odor of the Day, Wild Over You and Who Scent You a lot, but haven’t to my knowledge since of last year). As for Speedy, to my knowledge the only one that’s currently airing on Boomerang is A Haunting We Will Go (unless you count his cameo in Fright Before Christmas).

JMTV, MeTV DOES show Speedy Gonzales cartoons in their rotation, but mostly favors his post-64 cartoons (especially the ones where he’s paired up with Daffy Duck). The only Pre-1964 Speedy Gonzales cartoons that have aired on MeTV (to my knowledge) are:

Cat-Tails for Two
Speedy Gonzales
Mexican Cat Dance
Nuts and Volts

Last edited:

Moe

I see. And to be fair, I haven't seen any Speedy Gonzales shorts aired on Boomerang AFAIK. I remember being on MeTV, but not Boomerang.
I used to watch Boomerang full time in mid to late 2010s, so I can tell that they didn't air Speedy Gonzales shorts at all.

I did notice many same shorts again and again, even on same day.

JMTV

Pim The Precious Boi
I used to watch Boomerang full time in mid to late 2010s, so I can tell that they didn't air Speedy Gonzales shorts at all.

I did notice many same shorts again and again, even on same day.
I see. I did watch Boomerang for about a couple months recently since when I was a kid. I do like the variety of shows they put out, and it does make the channel more lively again. Until Dave Byer left and MeTV Toons was announced, I quickly dipped out of Boomerang.

CassieTheDragon

Boomerang isn't gonna switch it up in the slightest. There's just no passion for Boomerang anymore. It's honestly on the same level as Discovery Family at this point, where it just needs to die already. It's a waste of a channel. MeTV Toons is already on the way and it looks to be way better than Boomerang ever will be again.

Controversial point I know, but i'm sticking by it. Theoretically they could air older CN shows, but I mean, Checkered Past exists.

IMO, the only thing that could save Boomerang is if they started airing more obscure cartoons, like Camp Lazlo, Class of 3000, Mike Lu and Og, Juniper Lee, or Time Squad, but they'll never do that. They'd only air popular/well-known cartoons from that point, because if they dare attempted to air some unpopular shows, it'd make Boomerang somewhat interesting, and we cannot let that happen!

Boomerang (much like Discovery Family) has been dead (at least, to me) since the mid-2010s rebrand. They started airing random flash cartoons like Bunnicula and Dorothy and The Wizard of Oz, that would've fit better on Cartoon Network, and even started airing cartoons like The Amazing World of Gumball, the Ben 10 reboot from 2017 and The Powerpuff Girls reboot from 2016, as they were new!

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy Father's Day!
I swear to God, no one really hates Cartoon Cartoons/CN Studios library more than Warner Bros. Discovery do.
Ultraman Rising is the #6 movie on Netflix Worldwide.
Inside Out 2 is gonna be doing huge box office numbers.

Featured Posts