Boomerang (US) News & Discussion II: Rebrand

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
All times below are EST

YOU'RE WATCHING BOOMERANG!

This is the second edition of the Boomerang News & Discussion Thread where we discuss news about Boomerang U.S., y'know, the channel that teaches you how to properly throw those things that come back around to you? Not convinced? Okay, it's the 24/7 cartoon channel.

Check out Boomerang for classics, favorites we grew up on, new stuff and possibly more with new content added every week! Subscription fee needed but can try it for 7 days free!

Some ground rules: (established 1/18/14 - updated 10/10/17)
1] Keep the discussions civil - no trolling others. If you want to differ an opinion, don't be a beef jerky about it. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean their wrong - that's why they're opinions! ;)
2] No fantasy schedules (to an extent - no overhaul ideas using shows that wouldn't air). I know I started it without knowledge, but there's nothing to actually discuss about fantasy schedules. Most can understand this rule and there is an occasion where someone may give an example of something Boomerang could do with their lineup, then go for it. Don't just make up a schedule purely for fun. This thread is for fantasy schedules.
3] If you have an update, provide some kind of proof, whether a link or at least specify where you found it to where anybody else can dig it up.
4] Keep the discussions civil - no tr... oh, I said that already. (still holds true though)
5] Do not spam this thread with anything not pertaining to a discussion of an update / and how someone feels about it. Talking about what potentially may air I see okay - but at least make it sound legit. Don't just say "I think Rugrats will eventually play" - since we know it wont.
6] This thread is for the discussion of the linear channel. Any main discussion(s) regarding the app should be spoken here.

'Me' Note: (updated 1/22/15)
- I'm just a casual poster on Toonzone and a casual cartoon fan. I don't communicate with any officials from networks or etc. I'm not like Bryan of the former Nickandmore who got his info from wherever. The info I find can be easily obtained by anybody else if they search right/the way I do, however that is I do it.

All times below are EST.

The Current Boomerang 24/7 Schedule

WEEKDAYS
6:00 AM - Teen Titans Go!
6:30 AM - Teen Titans Go!
7:00 AM - The Amazing World of Gumball
7:30 AM - The Amazing World of Gumball
8:00 AM - Craig of the Creek
8:30 AM - Craig of the Creek
9:00 AM - Total DramaRama
9:30 AM - Total DramaRama
10:00 AM - Tom and Jerry (2 hours)
12:00 PM - Looney Tunes (2 hours)
2:00 PM - Scooby Doo, Where Are You!
2:30 PM - Scooby Doo, Where Are You!
3:00 PM - Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!
3:30 PM - Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!
4:00 PM - New Looney Tunes
4:30 PM - New Looney Tunes
5:00 PM - The Tom and Jerry Show
5:30 PM - The Tom and Jerry Show
6:00 PM - BOOMERANG THEATER (Scooby-Doo or Tom and Jerry Movie)
7:30 PM - The Tom and Jerry Show (filler as needed after Tom and Jerry movie) / Be Cool, Scooby-Doo! (filler as needed after Scooby-Doo! movie) / Boomerang Theater
8:00 PM - Tom and Jerry (2 hours)
10:00 PM - Looney Tunes (2 hours)
12:00 AM - Codename: Kids Next Door
12:30 AM - Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
1:00 AM - Chowder
1:30 AM - Camp Lazlo
2:00 AM - The Smurfs
2:30 AM - The Smurfs
3:00 AM - Baby Looney Tunes
3:30 AM - Baby Looney Tunes
4:00 AM - Looney Tunes (2 hours) / Same cartoons from 10:00 PM show

WEEKENDS
6:00 AM - The Looney Tunes Show
6:30 AM - The Looney Tunes Show
7:00 AM - Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated
7:30 AM - Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated
8:00 AM - DC Super Hero Girls
8:30 AM - Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz
9:00 AM - Tom and Jerry Tales
9:30 AM - Tom and Jerry Tales
10:00 AM - Tom and Jerry (2 hours)
12:00 PM - Looney Tunes (2 hours)
2:00 PM - Scooby-Doo! and Guess Who?
2:30 PM - Scooby-Doo! and Guess Who?
3:00 PM - Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!
3:30 PM - Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!
4:00 PM - New Looney Tunes
4:30 PM - New Looney Tunes
5:00 PM - The Tom and Jerry Show
5:30 PM - The Tom and Jerry Show
6:00 PM - BOOMERANG THEATER (Scooby-Doo Movie)
7:30 PM - The Tom and Jerry Show (filler as needed after Tom and Jerry movie) / Be Cool, Scooby-Doo! (filler as needed after Scooby-Doo! movie) / Boomerang Theater
8:00 PM - Tom and Jerry (2 hours)
10:00 PM - Looney Tunes (2 hours)
12:00 AM - Codename: Kids Next Door
12:30 AM - Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
1:00 AM - Chowder
1:30 AM - Camp Lazlo
2:00 AM - The Smurfs
2:30 AM - The Smurfs
3:00 AM - Baby Looney Tunes
3:30 AM - Baby Looney Tunes
4:00 AM - Looney Tunes (2 hours) / Same cartoons from 10:00 PM show

Last edited:

copper20

Eric
I've said this before, but why? Why can I no longer stuff like Quick Draw McGraw on any DVD, and they think it's ok to just toss it out? It's not even on Netflix either! Does Turner just want people to never see those shows again?

Are there any of the Hanna Barbera shows that aren't on DVD on VHS? Because this was my to go channel for stuff like this and now it's all gone. I'm really sad about this, but not surprised, seeing that most of that was kicked off the channel a while ago. Toon Disney was the same too, and was pretty tragic when that happened to me. At least they're keeping Scooby Doo Where Are You, but that's not surprising.

I lost a lot of hope on Boomerang when they decided to waste the Tom and Jerry slots with those 60s Tom and Jerry shorts and not caring about the Looney Tunes before 1965. Is this going to be the same with this rebrand? Because it feels more than likely.

Most of the changes here have caused me to grieve quite a bit.

mqg96

The scheduling is a similar problem with Cartoon Network, it needs to have some more variety and stop being too repetitive, except this one is 24 hours unlike Cartoon Network so therefore Boomerang has a few more shows but that's about it. I hope some more variety of cartoons will get added to the lineup in a couple of weeks, and some Boomerang original series will be coming as well.

copper20

Eric
Boomerang did that too about a few years ago and this is what we're stuck with. Not to go off topic, but somebody needs to petition Warner Home Video to put the rest of the Hanna Barbera library on DVD if they're not going to show it on cable anymore.

This is getting very upsetting to me.

mqg96

Boomerang did that too about a few years ago and this is what we're stuck with. Not to go off topic, but somebody needs to petition Warner Home Video to put the rest of the Hanna Barbera library on DVD if they're not going to show it on cable anymore.

This is getting very upsetting to me.

It's really funny how back during the mid-late 2000's a lot of nostalgic folks were complaining about Cartoon Network getting rid of the Hanna-Barbera cartoons for good, and Cartoon Network had to rely on original programming eventually or else the channel would have gone out of business, and while Cartoon Network had so much variety of original programming back during the mid 2000's. Boomerang would be your place to relive your old Hanna-Barbera cartoons or old CN shows. It's funny how then people would want the old shows back on Cartoon Network, and we would tell them... "GET BOOMERANG!!!" and a lot of people wouldn't want to listen to that statement and took it for granted while the channel had those classics. Enjoy the variety and the stuff out there while it last, because eventually, it'll be gone for good.

Now if someone were to ask you "GET BOOMERANG!!!", you go the channel and yes there's still some classics but now, where's all the variety? Don't get me wrong there needed to be new bumpers on the network and all but now the old shows are completely extinct off TV. Too bad the classic cartoons are no longer profitable.

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
It's not that they think it's okay, just in time any show that's nothing but reruns can eventually tire out. In the case of many HB shows, while some became huge hits they stick around today. Some may have been huge or big hits in their debut but may not be too significant today. For Boomerang to stay healthy, it did need the acquisitions it got, but mostly something fresh to the channel if not the viewer. If the plan for Boomerang were to stay classics only, I don't see where it'd be today whether still operating on the same stuff repeatedly or just completely off the airwaves. Instead, Turner picked a decent time to start with the changes to try and get another owned channel some heightened success. Many of the shows may not appeal to us, but that's a given since we're not the target demographic.

IMO though, it did get tiring to see some shows stick around. A past beef was about Wacky Races and Penelope Pitstop. Both are about 17 episodes, and maybe at least in WR's case, maybe PP too, was playing those 17 episodes 5 days a week for about 5 years with very minimal changes. That's quite a long time for just that many episodes, so it was long overdue for a break or removal. That doesn't mean I personally didn't enjoy it - I did, but it needed a break. Just like 2 Stupid Dogs, I enjoy that show a lot, but weekend nights for about 2 years an hour per night they were cycling the same 12 shows, which also got ridiculous. Hopefully the way Boom is now, they wont have to recycle a small portion of shows for numerous years. Boomerang will eventually get more original content as the days go by and eventually be well established.

As for HB shows on DVD. All I can suggest is saving up for the series you like that are already out or maybe contacting Warner Brothers who distributes the HB DVDs about the possibility if they plan to release your favorite shows.

You can contact here: Contact Us-Customer Service WBshop.com | Warner Bros. -- [I'd select Other Inquires as the comment/question concern, but could also be Warner Archive] As a suggestion if you (or anyone else) should do this, to make sure you're sincere and polite in your message. It wont guarantee that your wishes would be granted, but at least in a sincere post there may be 'some' consideration. Also, it'd take some demand as well from other people. I don't know if that's how the series they have already for sale were done or if these were the company's picks. Also - don't expect an immediate reply. There may be many people submitting messages and not a lot of big companies can reply all at once. Could take days or weeks depending on the flow of messages.

Lastly, I have no idea of future plans of how HB classics will make their way back. They 'could' return to Boomerang n the future, but don't take my word for it. If anything, if they are brought back, I can't imagine they'd air daytime, but overnight whether weekdays or weekends, since even I think it's best to keep as current of content in those hours.

Hope I was helpful :)

Yippee Coyote

Graphic Novelist
I like the new thread, but did we really need to start it off with a bunch of griping and complaining? @copper20, please get a hold of yourself. It's done. They rebranded. There's nothing you can do about it. If you want to start another thread and rant about it, feel free to do so. I just don't want to listen to it here.

On another topic, has any of the February schedule been released?

copper20

Eric
I like the new thread, but did we really need to start it off with a bunch of griping and complaining? @copper20, please get a hold of yourself. It's done. They rebranded. There's nothing you can do about it.

Yep, I do agree nothing can be done, but now you can't see a good chunk of the library on DVD. I just wish sympathy could be given. This was the only way to see some of the shows and now you can't see them - even on DVD! Time to petition Warner Home Video.

The new schedule isn't even any more diverse than before, though I agree rebranding was a decent idea, but it's not the way I like it.

Garfield Show needs to be replaced with Garfield and Friends. There are 121 shows of that and far better.

Kung-Fu Yoshi

Yep, I do agree nothing can be done, but now you can't see a good chunk of the library on DVD. I just wish sympathy could be given. This was the only way to see some of the shows and now you can't see them - even on DVD! Time to petition Warner Home Video.

Petitions don't work. They never amount to anything, so don't even bother.

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
Sorry copper20, but creating a thread about not liking something likely wont fly and there's really not much to discuss since it's about what the creator of that thread doesn't like, so I suggest not doing so. You'd likely just get the thread locked and basically get told what you've been told here. -- As an alternative though, you can create a blog about your thoughts. You may not necessarily get replies, but at least it's a way that you wouldn't be told anything you already have elsewhere.

My request here is now for a civil discussion :sweat: - please and thank you!

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
My DISH guide + zap2it show a 3rd Garfield Show at 6 and a single WNSD at 6:30 - I mentioned this in the first N&D about it happening on a Saturday or Sunday, this last weekend I believe cause it doesn't show that way this weekend or the next, where TGS played 2-3:30 with 1 WNSD at 3:30, but don't actually know if that happened, so since I'm already watching TGS right now, will notice if they say TGS will be next (for 6pm)

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'
The new schedule isn't even any more diverse than before, though I agree rebranding was a decent idea, but it's not the way I like it.

The channel just re-branded on Monday. This is what they call a stealth re-brand, meaning that the wraparounds are changed first, then the schedule changes begin coming in gradually over time. We'll know for certain what sort of shows to expect on Boomerang when the Upfront is released in May, but undoubtedly the schedule will begin changing before then. It's far too early to be calling the schedule repetitive now, since we barely know what the new schedule is going to be.

Garfield Show needs to be replaced with Garfield and Friends. There are 121 shows of that and far better.

Again, kids are watching The Garfield Show, and TGS still has first-run episodes to air. Garfield and Friends, by contrast, is 2 decades old and finished. Since Boomerang isn't a rerun channel anymore, Turner's not going to be in a hurry to re-acquire the older Garfield show when the current one is putting butts into seats. You may not like TGS, but kids do, and kids are Boomerang's target demographic now, not adult nostalgia buffs.

That said, I agree that I'd rather not read any more negativity and complaining about the re-brand. No doubt there will be some growing pains, but I'd rather we get a positive or at least more hopeful discussion going. Old Boomerang may be gone, but there's still new stuff to look forward to.

Kung-Fu Yoshi

Numb Chucks and Grojiband don't really appeal to me. Neither'll Jungle Bunch, if that comes out. I might check out Be Cool, Scooby-Doo, but that's a CN program that people keep thinking will air on Boomerang first.

VG_Addict

Guys, if you really wanna watch your favorite old shows, you can just watch them online.

Yippee Coyote

Graphic Novelist
Is this the Boomerang News & Discussion thread? I might be lost, because this looks more like the "Help! Boomerang got rid of all my favorite shows!" thread to me. :p

VG_Addict

I'd really rather not have YET ANOTHER discussion about how "all the new shows suck, they should bring back the old ones!".

Light Lucario

Staff member
Alright, mod note time.

I don't think that there's anything necessarily wrong with voicing ones' complaints about the rebrand here. That comes with the territory of this topic and considering that this is the news and discussion thread, it is fitting place to make those comments. In regards to a petition though, that won't really fit here or in its own topic since petitions generally don't work and aren't allowed here. General feelings about the rebrand, both in favor or against it, are okay.

Also, if you think that the discussion is getting off track for whatever reason, report a post and let the staff decide whether or not any action needs to be taken. Do not act rude or condescending to anyone since that's definitely not going to get the thread back on track. Any further comments that do this are subjected to deletion/infractions. Thank you and please get back to actual civil discussion.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I think that maybe Paramount plans on having their removed shows put on some other streaming service like Netflix.
The good thing for Big Nate is that it's a successful daily comic strip first, and a book series, so Paramount's horribleness still doesn't mean people can't enjoy it in other forms.
Happy 9th Anniversary, Harvey Beaks.
Unpopular opinion: I really hope The Animation Guild does goes on strike soon. I'm so tired of seeing the animation industry getting screwed over by greedy companies for far too long.

I don't care what anybody says, it's time for the union to fight back.
Happy Good Friday!

Featured Posts