Big Hero 6: The Series "Baymax Returns, Parts 1-2" Series Premiere Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Discuss this Series Premiere!

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Catch the premiere of the brand new Big Hero 6 animated series! Premieres tonight on both the Disney Channel and Disney XD, with two episodes starting at 8:00PM ET!

bzbmFQP.jpg

Big Hero 6: The Series "Baymax Returns, Parts 1-2"
Episode Debut - November 20th, 2017

Tech genius Hiro begins school as the new prodigy at San Fransokyo Institute of Technology and sets off to rebuild Baymax, but his overconfidence and penchant for taking shortcuts leads him and the newly minted Big Hero 6 team into trouble.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Notes:
- Two more episodes of the show will be released exclusively on DisneyNOW and Disney XD VOD. Please use the News & Discussion thread, and spoiler tags, to discuss them until they receive proper talkbacks when they premiere on TV next year.
- Starting November 24th, a series of shorts will rollout each Friday for six weeks on Disney XD, the app and the network’s YouTube channel. A separate talkback thread for those will be posted on that day. EDIT 11/24: "Big Hero 6" Animated Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)

Related Discussion:
"Big Hero 6" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Big Hero 6: The Series "Baymax Returns"

I am totally good with that. Third amazing half hour Disney cartoon series currently on the air, along with DuckTales and Tangled. I have not felt this good about Disney TV animation since the first two seasons of The Disney Afternoon. That's how long it's been. And frankly these new cartoons are better than the Disney Afternoon cartoons of old. Well, maybe not TaleSpin or Gummi Bears. But they blow the doors off of Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, and DuckTales TOS.

I love that it's Fred who comes up with the name, simply because it's a great name. I like that Heathcliff looks to be this series version of Alfred.

I think the thing I love most about the premise is that nobody besides Fred wants to be superhero. They do not feel the sense of moral obligation Spider-Man, Superman, and Batman do. Even Wolverine has to be dragged less kicking and screaming into the hero gig than the rest of these schmucks. And even if it could be considered an ugly stereotype that Wasabi is coward, I will concede it is not well-traveled ground as far as superheroes goes. And if they don't want to do it, it makes sense that one of them doesn't want to do it for a real world reason all of the rest of us wouldn't want to do it for. And it might be fun to see how that plays out.

How is the animation? I like the 2-D black outline design much more that Tangled's Samurai Jack designs trying to ape 3-D on the cheap. It feels more comic book authentic to me, and I assume that after a few weeks, I'll think the characters look totally wrong in CGI, which is not something I'll ever think of Rapunzel. But even now, Fred's design looks better and more colorful and eye-popping in 2-D instead of 3-D.

Love that when Honey Lemon hits the bad guys' feet with the sticky stuff, they simply step out of their shoes. Why didn't I think of that?

I'm going to really enjoy this series. ****.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Well, I have to admit. That was really good. I can't wait for the rest of the show to come out. Also, it's no surprise to me that Lisa Schaffer is the voice director for the series.

Greg91

Reporter
I was smiling throughout this entire premiere. I loved that it was set in-between the last couple scenes of the movie. Fred creating the team name and being the only one who wants to be a superhero was fantastic.

Everyone's personality from GoGo's snark, Honey Lemon's sweetness, Wasabi's compassion (plus the "adrenaline rush"), and Aunt Cass' humor all pulled me back into this world. Yama's return, the new villain, and Hiro & Baymax being a great duo sold me that I'm going to love this show.

Mr.O

First off. I have to say it. The animation was BLEGHH! I mean really... rough around the edges. Much worse than the Avengers stiff lifelessness, and OK K.O's off model-ness.
Second, this is the best marvel cartoon BY FAR! Animation aside (and even that has some charm to it)

The characters, all of them were a real highlight for me. The writers could've taken the cliched approach and turned them all into gross hollow caricatures of their movie counterparts, but no. They were all balanced, well written and quite faithful to the movies charm. (Fred could have easily been the new 2012 Michelangelo) I enjoyed Aunt Cass's peppy, spunky sense of humor. Even the Prof. showed more to her than the mean teacher.

Might I also add that I am sooo glad they mentioned this tech school was a college. Hopefully this means they will be able to avoid those dismal HS tropes.

And lastly, the writers did an excellent job at establishing an origin story for BH6, despite the fact that we just gotten one in the movie.

Definitely can't wait for more.

Lonestarr

Stop eating my sesame cake!
Staff member
Liked it pretty well, good character interaction (for the most part), interesting way of tying thing back to the first movie. It's just that...

Is it just me, or did they make Fred super annoying? For the love of Lawrence Welk, tell me it's not just me.

Last edited:

bigdaddy313

That was fun I loved it very much and I respectfully disagree about the animation it was unique, fluid and the colour is vibrant and gorgeous just like an animated series should.

A Marvel animated product better than any Marvel animation studio has produced, not shocking at all.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
A bit of a slow start (what with refreshing our memories on the film...), but still another victory for DXD out of the starting gate (alongside other examples I could talk up a storm about - that aren't Star Vs., IMHO...). I loved the movie, so I'm more than hoping to keep up with this show from here. just establish some better villains and we'll definitely be onto something here - like how Episode 2 (seamlessly enough) ends with.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I don't recall seeing Marvel names like Jeff Loeb or Joe Quesada in the executive credits, so the project is very clearly handled pretty much entirely by Disney.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I don't recall seeing Marvel names like Jeff Loeb or Joe Quesada in the executive credits, so the project is very clearly handled pretty much entirely by Disney.

Plus, it isn't written by Man of Action (sorry, those guys are hacks, IMHO...), so that's just one more step up - even if the animation/art-style isn't the best, IMHO. Still, we're looking at a potential winner here, courtesy of Disney doing this.

With how Marvel has been as of late, I couldn't see them doing much good with this unlike who is responsible here.

Dudley

Staff member
Meh, it’s not the greatest thing, since I’m not keen on the art, the animation, and Fred’s pretty annoying. But I’d like to the see the character’s journey into becoming superheroes explored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I thought it started off kind of slow but became more interesting to me exactly around the moment that Honey, Gogo and Wasabi made their day-saving entrance. I didn't expect that this pilot would be the last minutes of the movie stretched, with some gaps filled in, but I'm on board to see how this world further develops. I really hope we get to see the non-Hiro characters develop more as the series goes on. I like them but the show will be dull if they aren't more than their characteristics. Watching the movie's end credits right before this, really had me thinking about how cool that illustrated style looks in comparison to this simpler one (nothing against this shows designs). I don't like Yama or his goons so hopefully we'll see more colorful villains when the show returns.

The pilot didn't knock my socks off but I am coming into this liking the property already and I found it an adequate jump off for the series. It feels as though it was a B when I was expecting an easy A but I trust that things will build up when the show continues. I'm still very glad that they're doing this show and I look forward to see more when it's back next year.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Mr.O

The pilot didn't knock my socks off but I am coming into this liking the property already and I found it an adequate jump off for the series. It feels as though it was a B when I was expecting an easy A but I trust that things will build up when the show continues. I'm still very glad that they're doing this show and I look forward to see more when it's back next year.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Even a B beats any other current Marvel cartoon by far

Frontier

Staff member
I thought this was a pretty solid and fun premier. It built off of what happened in the movie in an organic way and dealt with the logical next steps in the story, with Hiro rebuilding Baymax, getting adjusted to his new school, and the team resolving to continue being heroes :).

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how the show will continue to build on the cast and San Fransokyo as we see their ongoing adventures :cool:.

I'm also looking forward to expanding on the rest of the team and developing them more. Certainly we got a lot of Fred in this, as he tries to push the team to become Superheroes, and Wasabi finding his inner adrenaline, but I also think it'd be interesting to explore Honey Lemon's aversion to violence when it comes to crime-fighting and how Go-Go feels about everything :raven:.

I though the animation was serviceable to solid. It's very stylized, and while I think it could look a little more fine-tuned and smoother, I think it works well enough for the show ;).

It's going to take some adjustment to Wasabi and Fred's new VA's. I mean, Fred's VA does a good job of capturing TJ Miller's performance and Fred's personality, and I love Khary Payton in anything, but it just feels weird hearing them along with the rest of the cast who actually are reprising from the movie :sweat:.

I love how we have Fred coming up with and constantly trying to make "Big Hero 6" a thing given it was never actually uttered once in the movie :p.

I just realized Aunt Cass was completely oblivious to the whole "Big Hero 6" thing so I wonder if they're going to play up the fact that she doesn't know about what Hiro and the gang is doing :ack:.

Going forward I hope the show doesn't rely too much on references or jokes from the movie, because while I thought that was fine here, it could get old real fast (as it has for the Marvel cartoons at times)...

I thought Yama was a fitting enough starter villain for the group, given his connection to Hiro, but I'm also looking forward to seeing more of our seemingly main villain and the potential Rogues Gallery our heroes will likely build up over the course of the series :evil:.

Mr.O

Guardians of the Galaxy is an easy "B" in my opinion.
I forgot about Guardians. I liked the first season well enough, but I keep forgetting to start season 2.

Going forward I hope the show doesn't rely too much on references or jokes from the movie, because while I thought that was fine here, it could get old real fast (as it has for the Marvel cartoons at times)...

I thought Yama was a fitting enough starter villain for the group, given his connection to Hiro, but I'm also looking forward to seeing more of our seemingly main villain and the potential Rogues Gallery our heroes will likely build up over the course of the series :evil:.

I noticed when watching that Aunt Cass knew who Baymax was (enough to miss him as much as Hiro and friends), and I don't recall her ever meeting him in the movie. If I'm not missing anything, maybe they did a soft retcon in the series, so that she could be more aware whats going on with the main cast. It would be interesting if the main guardian figure knew that the kids were superheroes. Though I'm not too sure its within her character to allow Hiro and Baymax to constantly put themselves in danger.

Action!

I thought it was a good start to the series. The voice acting was really good. 9/10

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I don't really have much to say, but I enjoyed this premiere. It was fun and a worked pretty well as a continuation of the movie. The animation looked fine to me and I like the character designs. The characters themselves were handled pretty well and I liked their interactions or the team's dynamic. I liked the new characters like Professor Granville or the mystery villain they teased in these episodes.

The story was pretty good, with some nice moments spread throughout both in terms of comedy and adventure. The action scenes looked nice and had some pretty creative stuff in them. All in all, I thought this was a pretty great way to start the series, and I will check out more episodes from this when they come out.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts